Well, it has been a few days since I deleted Skype. What a difference!!!

I can attest that Skype was the app most responsible for battery drain, even when closed and not in use. It's a sneaky app. It just opens and runs in the background, consuming 8-15% CPU for hours at a time.

Even when I tried to close it, through the regular way and through Device Manager, it stayed open. I have no idea what it was doing, but it was draining my battery.

Try deleting it for a few days and you will immediately notice a difference. I now have 60% remaining at the end of the day... 6 AM to midnight.
    12-27-14 08:41 AM
    Skype:  Biggest battery drain there is.  Even when not running.-temp.jpg

Force close it in android setting. Wechat android also very stubborn and cannot even be close with task manager app but I successfully closed it in setting .

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    12-27-14 08:47 AM

Force close it in android setting. Wechat android also very stubborn and cannot even be close with task manager app but I successfully closed it in setting .

Force it close in Android setting? What is this?
    12-27-14 08:50 AM
    Skype:  Biggest battery drain there is.  Even when not running.-img_20141227_225445.png

I guess the attached picture should be self explanatory. Just force close it.

Remark, my first post picture is to match your avatar.

12-27-14 08:55 AM
    Duplicate
    12-27-14 08:57 AM
    Sorry, hate to be a pest. Where is the "App info" setting/screen? How do I get there?
    12-27-14 09:00 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141227_225445.png 
Views:	1853 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	323486

I guess the attached picture should be self explanatory. Just force close it.

Perhaps explain to the OP how to get to this instead of just showing a picture of some screen.
    12-27-14 09:01 AM
    Ohhhh forgot it is not built in. I access it through nova launcher though I think any launcher is the same. Inside nova launcher, it is like android. Just press menu and you will see all apps. Then choose settings > apps and choose your apps. Then a menu as picture attached above with open. Choose settings, not nova setting.

12-27-14 09:20 AM
    Thanks, appreciate it. Although it's not too complicated to do, it sure is a hassle. The OS should never let this happen in the first place. I will wait for 10.3.1. or an updated version of Skype to come out, see if that corrects the problem.
    12-27-14 09:23 AM
    I'm thinking of installing Skype, despite the poor reviews it gets.

Are you guys referring to the version on BlackBerry World, or the Android version through Snap? Which one is the lesser of two evils?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-27-14 09:29 AM
    Thanks, appreciate it. Although it's not too complicated to do, it sure is a hassle. The OS should never let this happen in the first place. I will wait for 10.3.1. or an updated version of Skype to come out, see if that corrects the problem.
    Skype alike apps is not suppose to be fully close so you can still receive notification but my GUESS is since Skype is not native and rely on bb10 to run it, it is either fully running or totally shut down

12-27-14 09:29 AM
    I'm thinking of installing Skype, despite the poor reviews it gets.

Are you guys referring to the version on BlackBerry World, or the Android version through Snap? Which one is the lesser of two evils?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    I was using the one in BlackBerry World. Honestly, one morning I took my phone off the charger and Skype activated itself (for no reason), and by noon I was down to 20% and the phone was warm. There's just no easy way to shut it down once it decides it's going to run in the background.
    Last edited by Matt J; 12-28-14 at 08:31 AM.
    12-27-14 09:33 AM
    Skype alike apps is not suppose to be fully close so you can still receive notification but my GUESS is since Skype is not native and rely on bb10 to run it, it is either fully running or totally shut down

Bingo. Just not worth the hassle.
    12-27-14 09:33 AM
    Skype isn't showing that it's using battery in the background for me.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 09:41 AM
    Skype isn't showing that it's using battery in the background for me.

Posted via CB10
    Try the last 48 hours setting and see if it was running, and how much....
    12-27-14 09:43 AM
    It bothered me, so much that i've deleted it

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 09:51 AM
    It's a sneaky app. It just opens and runs in the background, consuming 8-15% CPU for hours at a time. Even when I tried to close it, through the regular way and through Device Manager, it stayed open.
    This is true, but I love having Skype, even the android port, on my BB10 smartphone. I went without for a long time when I used a Curve and a Bold.

What you say about Skype not shutting down with Device Manager is true. If you really want to be sure it's shut down, plug your BB10 phone into Link using a USB cable. Do a backup. Link will close all running applications during a backup (the only one I've seen left open is the phone app), and you can be sure Skype will be closed. You can then re-open it if you need it. Removing the battery (while swapping batteries for example), maybe even turning off your device then on again will also close Skype.
    12-27-14 09:53 AM
    This is true, but I love having Skype, even the android port, on my BB10 smartphone. I went without for a long time when I used a Curve and a Bold.

What you say about Skype not shutting down with Device Manager is true. If you really want to be sure it's shut down, plug your BB10 phone into Link using a USB cable. Do a backup. Link will close all running applications during a backup (the only one I've seen left open is the phone app), and you can be sure Skype will be closed. You can then re-open it if you need it. Removing the battery (while swapping batteries for example), maybe even turning off your device then on again will also close Skype.
    Thanks, but unfortunately this is not a viable option for most people. Battery health will eventually become an issue. Since the Passport doesn't have a removable battery, "Skype CPU assaults" on the battery (drain, heating), will eventually deteriorate its performance. Not worth it IMHO.
    12-27-14 09:57 AM
    I use ghost commander app. To force shut down of Skype and Amazon appstore.

I close them,but they always pop back up running in CPU page.

They don't seem to be much of a drain to my Passport though.

Passport on ATT
    12-27-14 12:00 PM
    I have Skype and would notice the same thing. I think the easiest method for me was to actually sign out... not just close the app. If you close the app, Skype is still logged in the background so that you can still get calls and messages. If you go to the menu and choose sign out and then close the app you will notice your battery life be as if you uninstalled or force closed it.

That's been my experience anyway...

Posted via CB10
    mkiiw likes this.
    12-27-14 12:08 PM
    I don't even have it running, checked my device monitor for the past 48 hrs and it doesn't show up in the list of apps.

I have it installed and have used it on a few occasions but it's never running in the background.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 12:14 PM
    Are your notifications turned on, I have them turned off and skype doesn't seem to run in the background
    12-27-14 01:48 PM
    I just deleted the PLS app and installed it on my ipod touch.

I had to buy an ipod just to run my Iridium Go app and not this PLS Skype app

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 01:58 PM
    Are your notifications turned on, I have them turned off and skype doesn't seem to run in the background
    How do you do this? How do you turn off notifications?

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 01:58 PM
    Select the three vertical dots in the upper right corner, then select settings and there is a notifications section
    12-27-14 03:41 PM
39 12