Hi peeps.... recently there was an update to Skype which said it was no longer available via BlackBerry world and to use the amazon store...

When I try to use the amazon store it won't install

Has anyone else had this issue?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-15 11:24 AM
    I installed skype from BBW just before couple of days. It sometimes asks for google play services on start up, but after dismissing that message, everything works normally. The version I installed is 6.1.0

Posted from Passport SE
    11-14-15 07:55 PM
    Doesn't Skype consume a whole lot of battery? I have it installed, but every time I actually use the app it ends up using 30% or so of battery. Any workarounds?

Passport.
    11-14-15 09:04 PM
    Yea skype do consume a lot of battery that's because skype is not a native application, it's just an android port. When I use it, along with consuming more battery, it tend to make phone very warm too on upper right corner. Fortunately I don't use it regularly so I can bear with it, for those who need to use skype regularly, it can surely get annoying. But I guess we all know downsides of using android port on BB10.

Posted from Passport SE
    11-15-15 12:39 AM
    Yea skype do consume a lot of battery that's because skype is not a native application, it's just an android port. When I use it, along with consuming more battery, it tend to make phone very warm too on upper right corner. Fortunately I don't use it regularly so I can bear with it, for those who need to use skype regularly, it can surely get annoying. But I guess we all know downsides of using android port on BB10.

Posted from Passport SE
    In my experience, Skype uses a lot of battery on Android, Windows Phone, Windows laptops, Mac laptops (though that may be less now 'cause of Apple's system tweaks to improve battery time) and Linux laptops as well, so it's more of a general Skype issue.

Not to mention the fact that native apps can consume battery as well. For example, I love Browsie Browser but it does use quite a bit of battery. Less than Skype but more than the default browser or some other native apps. Another example is the native Wiccaradio app. It uses quite a lot battery but I take that for granted.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 01:27 AM
    In my experience, Skype uses a lot of battery on Android, Windows Phone, Windows laptops, Mac laptops (though that may be less now 'cause of Apple's system tweaks to improve battery time) and Linux laptops as well, so it's more of a general Skype issue.

Not to mention the fact that native apps can consume battery as well. For example, I love Browsie Browser but it does use quite a bit of battery. Less than Skype but more than the default browser or some other native apps. Another example is the native Wiccaradio app. It uses quite a lot battery but I take that for granted.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I agree with you. I have used skype on most of other platforms out there and it consumes more battery. What I was trying to say is that if BB10 had a native skype app, it would have consumed less battery compared to the android port. Android apps already consume more battery compared to native apps in BB10 and far more when the app is used for streaming both audio and video simultaneously. Atleast it's good I can run android port, but using them just spoils the whole BB10 experience for me. As much as possible, I use native apps.

Posted from Passport SE
    Vistaus likes this.
    11-15-15 02:49 AM
    So no one else is having this issue then...

Hmm... factory reset my phone and still have the problem... any ideas what I can do???

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 04:51 AM
    I deleted skype. It spies on you too much. That's why it consumes so much power.
    11-15-15 07:03 AM