06-28-15 02:28 PM
47 12
tools
    Thanks all. It's good to see some negative posts as well. Helps with making the decision when seeing both sides.

Helen

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 12:43 AM
    Just picked up the Classic. I had the Note 4. Thought I would try the big screen phone. The Note was a nice phone just like the Passport, but what I found after 6 months using and carrying every day is. There too Big, unless you are a heavy tablet type user, stick with the Classic. Never realized just how much I missed the one handed use.
    06-27-15 01:13 AM
    ...but I am wavering! I am due an upgrade next month and currently have a Q10, which I love! It's my second BlackBerry and I love the whole experience and it just seems to be getting better.

Now, the size is making me waver, although, have made a cut-out and I am getting used to it. Is it too big, or just perfect? My husband laughs at it but is always mocking BlackBerry, how different it is. I like different!

Help! Thanks :-)

Helen

Posted via CB10
    If you like different, you'r gonna love it.

I know a couple, husband use classic and wife use passport and she loves it. She said her husband is not a tech savvy thus he stick to the usual classic.
    06-27-15 03:50 AM
    Check the thread on Classic forum - Passport to Classic some people have switched and like the size better however specs are better on Passport
    06-27-15 06:08 AM
    ...but I am wavering! I am due an upgrade next month and currently have a Q10, which I love! It's my second BlackBerry and I love the whole experience and it just seems to be getting better.

Now, the size is making me waver, although, have made a cut-out and I am getting used to it. Is it too big, or just perfect? My husband laughs at it but is always mocking BlackBerry, how different it is. I like different!

Helen

Posted via CB10
    Helen,

I have a Passport, and a lot of my female corporate friends are admiring of it's functionality, and the fact that it does away with the need to lug around a tablet to view simple spreadsheets/powerpoints.... (and when we are out and need to browse something, eg cinema reviews/times, they automatically pick up my Passport to check).....

..... but these friends all have a similar issue with the Passport.... how to carry it!

The issue isn't the size of the Passport when using it, it's the portability. I pointed out that all my suits and jackets have Passport sized pockets (I'm a bloke, this is an international norm for men's tailoring), their response.... all our ladies' jacket pockets are sewn up (or not really pockets at all, but just look like pockets for 'fashion' reasons).

So my advice to you, is to think about how you will be able to carry around the phone.

Note: one of the friends has just got the new bigger sized iPhone, and she is returning it because she finds it so difficult to carry around (eg too big for pockets or the little hand bag she uses when she does presentations).

Hope this helps.

PS It is definitely the best smartphone I've ever had.....
    06-27-15 11:48 AM
    Wider is better

Z10
    06-27-15 11:52 AM
    I have the Passport and the Z30. I'm still getting used to the width of the Passport...
    06-27-15 12:24 PM
    For me, I have to be honest, it's a bit big using it with one hand, but it is much better than other phones when using with two hands.

So, after 6 months, it is still slightly awkward in one hand but it is usable.
    But, the killer feature for me is two handed use. It is simply phenomenal for two hand use and for me this trumps the more difficult one hand use.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 01:06 PM
    Check the thread on Classic forum - Passport to Classic some people have switched and like the size better however specs are better on Passport
    Sadly, this has to do come into play. If you plan to use a lot of android apps, the Passport will work a lot better. It's more powerful plus the larger screen is more flexible with apps.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 01:19 PM
    For me, I have to be honest, it's a bit big using it with one hand, but it is much better than other phones when using with two hands.

So, after 6 months, it is still slightly awkward in one hand but it is usable.
    But, the killer feature for me is two handed use. It is simply phenomenal for two hand use and for me this trumps the more difficult one hand use.

Posted via CB10
    Ditto! Completely agree.
    06-27-15 02:11 PM
    I was given a chance to upgrade to the PASSPORT by invitation from my service provider some months ago... however, that comes with a price... where my subscription will go up by some extra 10USD, yet my bundled data will be shrunk from 12GB to just 2GB per month. That's pretty hefty.

But before that, i had tried out on the PASSPORT and found that i just couldn't get used to the 2 hands operation... single hand operation was also awkward as i tend to drop the display set in the telco's showroom often when i was trying to type, or take pictures with the phone...

I guess me and the phone, is not fated to be a perfect pair... i need more time to nurture the bond between myself and the PASSPORT.
    06-27-15 03:22 PM
    Helen,

I have a Passport, and a lot of my female corporate friends are admiring of it's functionality, and the fact that it does away with the need to lug around a tablet to view simple spreadsheets/powerpoints.... (and when we are out and need to browse something, eg cinema reviews/times, they automatically pick up my Passport to check).....

..... but these friends all have a similar issue with the Passport.... how to carry it!

The issue isn't the size of the Passport when using it, it's the portability. I pointed out that all my suits and jackets have Passport sized pockets (I'm a bloke, this is an international norm for men's tailoring), their response.... all our ladies' jacket pockets are sewn up (or not really pockets at all, but just look like pockets for 'fashion' reasons).

So my advice to you, is to think about how you will be able to carry around the phone.

Note: one of the friends has just got the new bigger sized iPhone, and she is returning it because she finds it so difficult to carry around (eg too big for pockets or the little hand bag she uses when she does presentations).

Hope this helps.

PS It is definitely the best smartphone I've ever had.....
    If you carry a purse though, as I do, my old phone was in there anyway, so my phone being larger isn't an issue anyway. I've actually never carried my phone in any pocket other than a coat pocket anyway.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 04:27 PM
    After the Q10 days 1 to 5 will be tough!! The Q10 is a tough little bugger to beat, but once you get used to the passport (and you will) you won't be able to go back to any other device! The Q10 will feel like a toy in comparison!

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 04:38 PM
    I have been a 6 month passport user and once I got use to the size and the keyboard I can never go back to my z10. I still have my z10 and it really feels like a toy in comparison when I play with it sometime. It also appears to be slower.

It slips into my pants front pocket nicely.

In the car, it is in a cell phone holder on charge

In my golf bag, I have a belt case that protects the screen

Once you get use to it, you'll love it.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 05:09 PM
    I went from the Q10 to the Passport. The latter is my current phone. I also loved the Q10 and had the same questions you have. Bought mine back in November and not really looked back. I use my Q10 as my back up and sometimes miss it's size but that is only if I'm thinking about it.

Pros:
    1. Screen. Great for my old eyes. I need to use a relay app to use the phone and the screen is better than the candybar. View for that. Also good for Web surfing and if you read ebooks.
    2. Keyboard. I find I actually type faster now on the Passport's keyboard than I did on my Q10. It did not happen overnight but within two weeks I was up to my Q10 speed and I grew from there. Having the keyboard as a track pad really enhances the Web surfing and reading experiences.

Cons:
    1. It is a big phone. It is a two handed device. I have small hands but could do some one handed stuff on my Q10 but no longer. It doesn't bother me but it might be a con for others.

Bottom Line: Both run on the Blackberry OS10 and with the updates is great platform for getting things done. Question really comes down to the physical issues. I have not lost any functionality or ability to get things done since switching. In fact, I feel I've become more productive with Passport. It is like having a mini tablet in a way and I have pretty much abandoned my iPad Mini but for games and lengthy Web surfing.

Hope this helps.
    06-27-15 06:34 PM
    I 'm coming from the One Plus One android phone and I feel the size is much better especially for reading. As for my pocket this phone feels better than the longer One Plus because it's wider it sits better in my pocket.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 11:02 PM
    Funny thing is that it's my 2 passport, I didn't like the size then second time around I wondered how I managed without it.. granted it's not a one handed texting device which can be a bit of a double edged sword, some like to one handed text it does take a couple of days getting used to it. One thing I have noticed is that the AT&T variant has very little bloatware and that's a plus, even better you can delete it which can't be said about any Android AT&T branded device. If you do buy take your time and learn the device, it's worth it

Posted via CB10
    06-27-15 11:12 PM
    I should have mentioned I just recently started using the Passport to read books on Kindle and it works beautifully. I wasn't sure it could be pulled off but reading off it is a true joy. I'm not sure how it would be on a Classic or other smaller devices...but I imagine that less screen size = less reading pleasure.
    06-27-15 11:13 PM
    I have been changing my mind so much over the last few days!

I very, very rarely type with one hand on my Q10 so don't think that is an issue.

I tend to use my Q10 as a mini tablet anyway and most of my use is at home, on wifi. I can count on one hand how many times I have used it as a phone, and even for texting as the people I would text have Bbm and we usually use that (good to know they are all android users).

Depending what I am doing, I have my phone in my handbag (purse), or in a coat pocket or my jeans pocket.

Really appreciate the replies on this as it is helping me make my mind up, then changing it, and then changing it lol.

Helen

Posted via CB10
    Pcmx and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    06-28-15 12:41 AM
    Helen, I'm like you! It's a big device but you do get used to it.. I do miss the one handed typing, but given your purpose for it and the fact you always double hand handle your q10..well the passport will be perfect for you I'd say!

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 04:31 AM
    I left all iPhone and Android phones,

Quick annoyances..

IPhone : no email attachment support --- there might be an app for that,
    Multi language support.. uh no! No OTG support and many more things

Galaxy: bloatware, limited storage, app crashes, freezing, I type and letters stay stuck on the screen I have to give them time to catch up.. email attachment limit, some calendars are great but most stock are horrible.. battery life even on so called power saving mode... and worst signal ever!

Posted via CB10
    06-28-15 02:06 PM

Helen

Posted via CB10
    Me and my wife absolutely love ours, I moved from a Q and her from an Z10, that said though, my long time bbry friend switched from a Z30 to a Passport but couldn't get used to the shape and size.

For me, I can't go back to a normal sized phone ever again they are so awkward and tiny.

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    juanjo322 likes this.
    06-28-15 02:28 PM
47 12