I'm taking a Z10 for my niece in Canada. She has never had a mobile phone before. She's 18 years old. Lol
    What will be the cheapest option for her? Help needed from folks who live there.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 02:58 AM
    Depends most on where in Canada she lives. Obviously your options will be best in populated areas. I'm from Ontario, so that is what I am most familiar with.

I'm currently with Telus on their prepaid, using the package Data + Messaging 20. My Telus account operates as a prepaid, however I pay $20 + whatever else I want in calling minutes (15 cents/min local) for unlimited texts and 100MB of data. This plan works for me because I don't talk a lot, but I can text as much as I want, and a little data in case I need to check something on the go.

People tend to say Wind is the best deal for your dollar, permitted you meet two main conditions: the phone works with Wind, and you live in an area that Wind serves. They have unlimited everything for ~$40 a month. Prices vary on some factors, not 100% sure on all of them. It's important to remember with Wind, service is very limiting and slow, which can have setbacks (My friend with Wind often has no service when I am fine). Coverage around the country is limited, and you may have to purchase roaming.

I'd say it really depends on what the phone is going to be used for to determine best what plan and provider to side with. The other factor, is the phone locked to a certain provider? Can they offer what you want? Or is it worth your money to get it unlocked?

I'm not an incredibly heavy phone user, so I can get by using limited calling minutes. Sometimes I wish I had more data, but I can make due.

Plan searching in Canada can be frustrating, since there isn't as much choice as we would like to think. It's important to know what features will be used and worth the money, and what things you can live without.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    07-02-15 03:31 AM
    Thank you for the info. I'm taking a Z10 from the UK and it is unlocked. My niece lives in Toronto. She has no phone at the moment and I'd presume she will probably use more of BBM, WhatsApp.,skype etc. Not necessarily a heavy phone user making calls. Who nowadays uses text messaging with BBM etc are more widely used?

Perhaps a high data package and a low calls minutes will suffice.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 09:20 AM
    If she's in TO and spends most of her time there, Wind mobile has the better plans in terms of pricing.

I'm not in the TO area, so Koodo for my kid's phone is pretty good.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 09:26 AM
    Koodo and wind have the best plans although I use telus for plans and one prepaid, I pay $10 a month for the prepaid but there are addons like $10 a month more for 2500 texts. Wind has an unlimiited everything for $35 a month plus tax

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-02-15 09:27 AM
    Thank you all

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 09:35 AM
    Thank you all

Posted via CB10
    In order to use the Z10 with Wind, it has to be a STL-100-3 variant because all other models -1,2,4 or 5 won't work. Hope your niece will love the love you're going to give her and tell her to install CB10 app

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    07-02-15 10:58 AM
    I'd presume she will probably use more of BBM, WhatsApp.,skype etc. Not necessarily a heavy phone user making calls. Who nowadays uses text messaging with BBM etc are more widely used?

Perhaps a high data package and a low calls minutes will suffice.

Posted via CB10
    Hahah, using BBM at 18? Doesn't happen. WhatsApp is a maybe. They're both useful when you're unable to text via SMS for whatever reason. I rarely use BBM myself.

I use Skype and Steam a lot - both Android ports. The problem with wanting data to use these apps is that there isn't really a plan favouring lots of data and texts - at least not cheaply. For unlimited data (Sort of) and texts, I wanted to go with Wind, but alas, I have an older Q10 so that wasn't going to happen.

Set a budget, and work from there. There's also the potential that your niece may not like having a BlackBerry, given her age. But hey, first smartphone!

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    07-02-15 11:18 AM
    She has to use BBM to have a video chat with us when we're back in England. Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-02-15 11:34 AM
    Koodo and wind have the best plans although I use telus for plans and one prepaid, I pay $10 a month for the prepaid but there are addons like $10 a month more for 2500 texts. Wind has an unlimiited everything for $35 a month plus tax

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    Thanks,I'm off to wind for $35 ,I just went to koodo from bell a couple of weeks ago ,do you think they will get pissed moving around like that? I don't care.hAHA
    rebroker2009 likes this.
    07-02-15 11:36 AM