Just received my second SE and note that both screens are slightly higher on the top right side of the device as compared to the top left side where it is flush with the metal strip. If you swipe down anywhere from the speaker to the extreme right you can feel a slight sharp edge of the screen. Both devices exhibit exactly the same properties and they were manufactured on different dates.

Additionally, I note that you can compress the right side of the screen to make it flush with the metal strip but the screen returns to its original higher position. I'm not sure if the screen having some 'travel' is an issue or not? Is the screen securely fastened to the device or is this going to be problem over time?

In corresponding with a couple of forum members evidently they don't have this issue and the screen is uniformly flush left to right. This is also noted in a couple of SE threads.

Its not a big issue since its not like the sharp edge of the old tool belts you could feel. Its a subtle edge on the SE and not worth returning the device. My only concern as mentioned above is if this is a fault of the screen not being fastened correctly.

Edit:
    I think I've fixed both screens. I put a clamp on the top right quadrant of screen which applied enough gentle pressure to seat the screen to be level with speaker bar and left it on there for 10 hours. Used both of them all day today and they are still flush. Fingers crossed the screens remain flush.

Update. 4th day in and the screen is still perfectly flush on both of them.
    Last edited by mhw100; 08-16-15 at 04:26 PM.
    08-11-15 06:25 PM
    I doubt that there is any change in respect to how the screen is affixed to the frame of the device. It is likely that it will detach over time, much the same as the screens do on the original Passport devices. Just live with it until you see a problem, and then send it back for replacement.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 06:35 PM
    Just received my second SE and note that both screens are slightly higher on the top right side of the device as compared to the top left side where it is flush with the metal strip. If you swipe down anywhere from the speaker to the extreme right you can feel a slight sharp edge of the screen. Both devices exhibit exactly the same properties and they were manufactured on different dates.

Additionally, I note that you can compress the right side of the screen to make it flush with the metal strip but the screen returns to its original higher position. I'm not sure if the screen having some 'travel' is an issue or not? Is the screen securely fastened to the device or is this going to be problem over time?

In corresponding with a couple of forum members evidently they don't have this issue and the screen is uniformly flush left to right. This is also noted in a couple of SE threads.

Its not a big issue since its not like the sharp edge of the old tool belts you could feel. Its a subtle edge on the SE and not worth returning the device. My only concern as mentioned above is if this is a fault of the screen not being fastened correctly.
    Beyond belief that BlackBerry have released another version of the Passport with the same screen lift issues. It's not rocket science, BlackBerry are aware of this issue yet still release a new version without resolving this issue.

I don't see a bright future for this dwindling company as they refuse to listen to the few customers they have left.

I believe the screen lift issue will be easier to spot / more noticeable on the SE due to the design which will allow users to feel the gap between the screen ant the body of the phone.

As I have said before, I have spent several thousands on passports, every single one has this issue. The SE will only serve to make Blackberry's poor quality even more obvious and more widely known.

Just look at the feedback here about the SE, not good is it. If I was a shareholder, I would be looking for a new CEO.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 07:04 PM
    Ah yes I have been waiting for this thread to start as I just put mine on the plane back to DR for the exact same issue....I was thinking about ordering a second one but maybe I will wait a little longer....

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 07:12 PM
    Put your new SE in a case use it and enjoy it, quit worrying about the trivial stuff in life!

I received my SE yesterday and it's perfect, now I guess I could get a magnify glass out and pick it apart, but unfortunately I'm to busy enjoying life and my new SE

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 07:18 PM
    Put your new SE in a case use it and enjoy it, quit worrying about the trivial stuff in life!

I received my SE yesterday and it's perfect, now I guess I could get a magnify glass out and pick it apart, but unfortunately I'm to busy enjoying life and my new SE

Posted via CB10
    Life and Passport are mutually exclusive. You aren't interacting with your environment if you're on your Passport

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 07:34 PM
    It's annoying, but less of an issue than it seems. Maybe it gets worse over time, we'll see.

What I don't understand is how every other device manufacturer seems to get these very basic things right. Entire batches of phones where the screen is lifted away from the body in a defective way? Crackers. I'd have expected BlackBerry to take care of this issue first thing after the OG issues.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 07:38 PM
    Not to make excuses but the iphone6 has its own build quality epidemic.

Disappointing for both oems to say the least

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 07:41 PM
    BlackBerry maybe aware of the 'problem' but they don't acknowledge it. And that is the issue.

Again, the very first step in problem solving is acknowledging the existence of the problem...

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 08:26 PM
    I've deleted posts in here... knock it off with the name calling.. unless of course you need to take a breather from the forums, in which case keep it up and I can expedite the process.
    08-11-15 08:47 PM
    I really really love the Silver Edition and was sooooo close to pulling the trigger on release day. Then again yesterday to the point that I signed into shopblackberry lol. I guess now that I've waited I have an advantage in seeing if there are any issues.

Not sure how pronounced this was. Pictures would be helpful if it was bad enough to send back. Over the years since the BB10 launch I've ordered double digit devices for myself, dad, mom, sister, best friend, etc. Everything from the Z10 to the Passport and never had a problem with any of the devices or DR. Always 2-day shipping if I choose expedited and every device blows through BBVE without issue. Also, no hardware flaws that I could see... even on the Passport.

My mother has upgraded to the AT&T version Passport that feels really solid. Since case options were limited for her, I put a Skinomi skin in carbon fiber pink on the device and it looks pretty good. Still rock solid. I steal her Passport all of the time just to play around with because it's different even being pink lol.

Anyway, I was under the assumption that BlackBerry had addressed the complaints with the redesign including screen lift by touting a stronger frame and better durability. I kinda inferred this from their statements on that. I don't think there have been any real screen lifting on the Silver Edition Passport as far as I'm aware, but just jumped into this thread today. Not sure if a slight deviation would eventually lead to this.

BlackBerry is surely aware of the issue regardless if it's been publicly stated. I doubt the redesign was so much as to use screws for the screen similar to the Z30, but this is where the reinforced steel frame comes in for better durability. I don't know. I'm still really excited about this device. It's clearly the best BlackBerry at this point. Looks are subjective, but aside from that it should be better than the original Passport in more than a few ways.

I'd be curious to know the severity?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 05:57 AM
    As above, in my case for the 2 that I own they are not bad enough to return.
    08-12-15 08:33 AM
    Not to make excuses but the iphone6 has its own build quality epidemic.

Disappointing for both oems to say the least

Posted via CB10
    Just curious, what are those?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 09:27 AM
    Until more reports of screen lift start showing up, I'm going to say you're being a perfectionist OP.

Unless you can provide some high-quality images showing the screen lift. In that case, I'll take back my statement. Either way, I'm staying with my OG Passport.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    08-12-15 10:31 AM
    Until more reports of screen lift start showing up, I'm going to say you're being a perfectionist OP.

Unless you can provide some high-quality images showing the screen lift. In that case, I'll take back my statement. Either way, I'm staying with my OG Passport.

No one is talking about screen lift at this point based on the post hence the word "possible." As for perfectionist, there is a 'slightly' annoying edge in the downward swiping but not enough to return the device in my case. For some with OCD, they will definitely be returning the device.
    08-12-15 10:38 AM
    Some people are only happy when there moaning.

Passport to heaven..
    mk2234, nick13b and bungaboy like this.
    08-12-15 10:59 AM
    No one is talking about screen lift at this point based on the post hence the word "possible." As for perfectionist, there is a 'slightly' annoying edge in the downward swiping but not enough to return the device in my case. For some with OCD, they will definitely be returning the device.
    Go grab any tablet, smartphone, laptop, TV. Push down on the display, you will notice it compress slightly. The amount it compresses varies by device, but I just tried it on my OG Passport, Surface Pro 3, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014, and my computer monitor. They all compress, that's just an inherent property of touchscreen devices. You realize there's multiple layers stacked one on top of each other, and digital displays compress, correct?

If the glass ends up lifting is another matter, and we'll see how the adhesive holds up over time on these SE units.

All I'm saying is, you will continue to return device after device looking for an SE that doesn't have any screen "travel." You'll never find one.

08-12-15 11:02 AM
    Go grab any tablet, smartphone, laptop, TV. Push down on the display, you will notice it compress slightly. The amount it compresses varies by device, but I just tried it on my OG Passport, Surface Pro 3, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014, and my computer monitor. They all compress, that's just an inherent property of touchscreen devices. You realize there's multiple layers stacked one on top of each other, and digital displays compress, correct?

If the glass ends up lifting is another matter, and we'll see how the adhesive holds up over time on these SE units.

All I'm saying is, you will continue to return device after device looking for an SE that doesn't have any screen "travel." You'll never find one.

08-12-15 11:04 AM

It's not screen travel, it's lifted in the top right and flush in the top left. It's a sharp edge when swiping down. It's definitely a defect and not within tolerances. I'd return something like this to Apple in a heartbeat.

Posted via CB10
    huungryshark likes this.
    08-12-15 11:16 AM
    Some people are only happy when there moaning.

Passport to heaven..
    There moaning, or they're moaning?

Silver Edition - possible issue with the screen being adequately secured?-1287666826226.png

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 11:24 AM
    There was definitely an edge that could be felt between the screen and the bottom edge of the grey speaker/camera cap. As a person who has used all but one BB10 device the way that I swipe from the top is always the same I overshoot the top of the glass usually making contact the speaker grill and then swipe down. Therefore yes for someone who has smart phone OCD this is unacceptable at least it is for ME!! If you really think about it an OS that uses gestures as the main way to interface with the device needs to have all of the contact points refined so as not to hinder the operators "FLOW". Therefore I have returned my SE and gone back to my OG Passport/Z10/Q10/Classic until I see that the QA has been improved enough for this BlackBerry User.

Posted via CB10
    javelin likes this.
    08-12-15 12:31 PM

There isn't any travel on the left at all.
    08-12-15 12:37 PM
    Do all the passport silver editions have this screen lift on the right side or is it just a select few?
    08-12-15 01:19 PM
    I guess I should feel lucky that my SE Passport is perfect..
    08-12-15 01:23 PM
    Do all the passport silver editions have this screen lift on the right side or is it just a select few?
    Its not a screen lift like the OG. My sense is that most ppl won't even recognize it as a fault until the are told about it. Its barely noticeable. Whether it turns to a lift later on is impossible to know as of today.
    jackytin likes this.
    08-12-15 02:52 PM
151 123 ...