Probably magnesium, like a lot of other smartphones
    08-07-15 06:05 PM
    If you have a passport, you know you can't scroll without your finger brushing or coming in contact with a fret. The frets are reactive to touch, creating the scroll.
    08-07-15 06:08 PM
    If you have a passport, you know you can't scroll without your finger brushing or coming in contact with a fret. The frets are reactive to touch, creating the scroll.
    I beg to differ, just tested it by going over the keyboard really softly and not touching the frets... It scrolls

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 06:30 PM
    Even the slightest electric energy from your fingers activates this. Scroll from the bottom and slide over the space bar, no scroll, move slightly past button and it scrolls because you are near a fret. I just can't fathom a magical trackpad in each of the keys sensing your finger, It's a fret, sensing where your finger is and corresponding to it.

We might have to agree to disagree
    08-07-15 07:03 PM
    Well, I don't have a SE but at least my OG PP, if I only make contact with a key, doesn't scroll... the scroll effect comes only when any part of my finger makes contact with the fret... so, can you accomplish that if the frets are made of plastic? Seems more likely to be easier to get this with plastic frets...

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 07:26 PM
    Well, I don't have a SE but at least my OG PP, if I only make contact with a key, doesn't scroll... the scroll effect comes only when any part of my finger makes contact with the fret... so, can you accomplish that if the frets are made of plastic? Seems more likely to be easier to get this with plastic frets...

Posted via CB10
    That's not quite right. Disable rotation lock, and rotate the passport. Then scroll with the passport sideways. With the passport sideways, I can scroll up and down a page only touching the bottom of the spacebar key

However, it does seem that in normal mode, it doesn't kick in until you hit a fret. So, either the keys are capacatve , or the chin is also.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 07:38 PM
    You are totally right, I forgot that sideways the barspace has full scroll capacities

That's not quite right. Disable rotation lock, and rotate the passport. Then scroll with the passport sideways. With the passport sideways, I can scroll up and down a page only touching the bottom of the spacebar key

However, it does seem that in normal mode, it doesn't kick in until you hit a fret. So, either the keys are capacatve , or the chin is also.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 08:02 PM
    I tried another magnet which is about 1/4" ball, it rolls to the edges and stops, so I think it's going towards the edge stainless instead of the keyboard plate.
    You guys do realize there's a USB port there as well as two magnetized speakers right around the chin area.

Attachment 365796
    08-07-15 09:19 PM
    It feels very nice, all I can tell!!!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport SE
    08-07-15 09:27 PM
    You guys do realize there's a USB port there as well as two magnetized speakers right around the chin area.

Attachment 365796
    This is the correct answer. I feel like I'm going crazy reading all these batty theories.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 09:34 PM
    Plastic it is. The problem is when they post images of what appears to be a metal frame component with a statement like this beside it: "The metal frame further enhances the solidness and substantiality as well as durability."
    It misrepresents it as metal construction (which has also been referred to as stainless steel)

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/08/...ilver-edition/

Silver Edition : Chin material-imageuploadedbycb-forums1439005076.951815.jpg
    08-07-15 10:40 PM
    Even if it's plastic I wouldn't mind it because it was probably done to better the reception issue.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 12:18 AM
    Even if it's plastic I wouldn't mind it because it was probably done to better the reception issue.

Posted via CB10
    Precisely. I wouldn't call it a reception issue, as my Passport always has more signal than any other phone. But compromises like the plastic chin are probably why.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 12:33 AM
    The entire keyboard plate is plastic, just like the SIM door, the photo they should have used is below, that's all the metal there is. Looks like there is a brace under the join of the LCD and keypad.
    Silver Edition : Chin material-0058edited_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    TrueNorthStar and GeoK like this.
    08-08-15 12:47 AM
    Hmm, was really interested in the SE, now...not so much

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-08-15 01:14 AM
    Hmm, was really interested in the SE, now...not so much

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Really? Because the chin is plastic? That's a joke right?
    08-08-15 01:35 AM
    Plastic burns, stainless doesn't. Just saying. lol
    08-08-15 02:48 AM
    Sorry, I meant I tested the magnet on my SE

Attachment 365704
    Beautiful!!!
    08-08-15 10:49 AM
    I was about to suggest using an electrical multimeter resistance probes that would indicate electrical conductivity, but this would only work if the metal was without a non-conductive coating. But, if anyone has one, it might be worth a try, and would be non-destructive. It does not depend on the type of metal; i.e. ferrous vs non-ferrous.
    08-08-15 12:19 PM
    I was about to suggest using an electrical multimeter resistance probes that would indicate electrical conductivity, but this would only work if the metal was without a non-conductive coating. But, if anyone has one, it might be worth a try, and would be non-destructive. It does not depend on the type of metal; i.e. ferrous vs non-ferrous.
    There's no debate as to whether the chin/fret plate is plastic. It is.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 01:48 PM
    Hopefully when they release a real "new" successor to the Passport not just a cosmetic one they can either move the antenna up to the sim tray since it is plastic anyways making the rest of the phone metal. Would ne nice too have real metal frets for once.

Although they should make the SIM tray smaller too. That whole panel seems like overkill.

Posted with Z30
    08-08-15 01:57 PM
    I wonder if the chin is just like the Z30?

Posted with Z30
    08-08-15 02:00 PM
    Hopefully when they release a real "new" successor to the Passport not just a cosmetic one they can either move the antenna up to the sim tray since it is plastic anyways making the rest of the phone metal. Would ne nice too have real metal frets for once.

Although they should make the SIM tray smaller too. That whole panel seems like overkill.

Posted with Z30
    That would be brilliant actually. Or why can't they put the antenna anywhere on the backside of the phone? It's all plastic back there. And don't we want the signal shielded from your face, anyway?

I'd honestly love a device with an old fashioned antenna that sticks out the top.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 03:12 PM
    Why it is such a big deal if it is plastic? Jeez people, get a life. Lol!

Via AT&T BlackBerry Passport OS 10.3.2.858 on Blazin Fast T-Mobile
    Agreed!

Posted with awesome Passport SE!
    08-08-15 03:46 PM
    The frame is metal, all the trimmings ( chin, top, between keys ) feel plasticky and cheap.
    08-09-15 01:22 AM
94 1234