I can't connect to any 2G -4G signal indoors, either says 'can't connect' or 'SOS' only!

My provider is EE!

I live in an area that has strong 4G immediately outdoors, if I step outside but inside totally different kettle of fish, signal strength strength very poor/weak indeed

Anyone else who has a passport on this OS with EE experienced similar issues, trying to determine if it's handset,OS or EE to blame?

Signal strength indoors!-img_20150429_130250.png

Passport 10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 07:03 AM
    Sounds like the building is a Faraday cage. Lots of modern business buildings and warehouses are built with large metal skeletons that block radio signals.
    04-29-15 07:17 AM
    My house is like this. I thought my Z10 which was my first smartphone was broken when I first got it but figured later, it's by design of the carrier to give poor signal strength indoors so I still have to buy home internet from them (same company)
    04-29-15 07:28 AM
    Sorry no I am at home simple bricks and windows

This is what frankly baffles me only difference I notice is if I move upstairs to one of the bedrooms I do get a signal

Passport 10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 07:29 AM
    I have the same in my house on EE with my passport. Once the phone hasn't had a signal for a certain amount of time I have to reboot it to get a signal once outside - it obviously doesn't like it.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 07:36 AM
    I get very poor signal in my house, always have no matter what service I use (T-Mobile, Verizon, Virgin Mobile, Boost, and now Simple Mobile). Generally I will get at least 2 bars of LTE everywhere, but in my house it seems to be a dead zone. Funny thing is, everyone else's house is fine and I will get some signal there.

I've noticed as another user said, that going into some buildings seems to block radio signals. Every Walmart I set foot into will totally kill any signal to my phone, I don't even get SOS. Kinda scary, I wonder if they do that so their employees cant use their phones on the clock?

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    04-29-15 07:41 AM
    I have the same in my house on EE with my passport. Once the phone hasn't had a signal for a certain amount of time I have to reboot it to get a signal once outside - it obviously doesn't like it.

Posted via CB10
    OK thanks now I know it's not just me!

Passport 10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 07:49 AM
    Was it the same way on the stock OS? It could be Beta OS related if it just started after loading the Beta.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 07:53 AM
    Was it the same way on the stock OS? It could be Beta OS related if it just started after loading the Beta.

Posted via CB10
    Fair question but: unfortunately I immediately loaded this OS! Wish I had not now!

Passport 10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 08:20 AM
    You can try Signal Tracker app. It will tell you exactly what the cell signal is at the current location.
    You can also see the signals on the map and can save to csv file

Signal strength indoors!-img_00002195.png
    Signal strength indoors!-img_00002184.png

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/34952895
    raino, yvpan1 and andysan1971 like this.
    04-29-15 09:44 AM
    You can try Signal Tracker app. It will tell you exactly what the cell signal is at the current location.
    You can also see the signals on the map and can save to csv file

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00002195.png 
Views:	1415 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	350179

Name:	IMG_00002184.png 
Views:	1415 
Size:	708.5 KB 
ID:	350180

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ntent/34952895
    Thanks!

Passport 10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 10:35 AM
    My signal strength indoors read -80dbm

Signal strength indoors!-img_20150429_164444.png

From further analysis/research done I think I should I get a connection with this dbm but instead shows

Any expert out there feels I should get a signal with -80Dbm?

Passport 10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 10:47 AM
    Has the Beta been released to the UK? It may be a software problem with the OS and your carrier. Do you have another Blackberry phone not on 10.3.2? If you do, how is its signal in the house on the same network?
    04-29-15 11:01 AM
    Has the Beta been released to the UK? It may be a software problem with the OS and your carrier. Do you have another Blackberry phone not on 10.3.2? If you do, how is its signal in the house on the same network?
    Not sure if it has
    Don't have another BlackBerry either to test it out.
    Don't think I can downgrade my OS either now!

Passport 10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 11:04 AM
    Try the hard reboot where you hold both volume keys down until it reboots. Not sure if it is setup by default, but a hard reboot on Beta software would send device logs to BlackBerry. They may just notice a problem and fix it in a later release. If you get an alternating red and blue light in the reboot, it is the device creating the logs.

My guess on leaks and Betas is that the radios are probably not optimised for world wide carriers and if you are not on one of the major Canadian carriers, you may have problems.
    andysan1971 likes this.
    04-29-15 11:11 AM
    My house is like this. I thought my Z10 which was my first smartphone was broken when I first got it but figured later, it's by design of the carrier to give poor signal strength indoors so I still have to buy home internet from them (same company)
    Mmm....nope. Carriers can't design their signals to stop at your door step. Signals work based on physics. The higher the frequency the less they can penetrate objects, especially steel that reflects. If your carrier is using higher bands, and your home is in a fringe area from the closest cell, and you have enough walls or objects, your signal goes down enough that you have trouble with reception.

Regarding Walmart mentioned above, those buildings (and various others like grocery stores, Target, etc,) are usually all steel, with steel roofs. This can be enough to keep out signals depending on how close the cell site is located for any particular carrier. In downtown Chicago I could barely pull any Verizon signal in a basement of a building. My ATT friend had a signal, but most likely because his tower was closer than mine.
    04-29-15 12:07 PM
    Mmm....nope. Carriers can't design their signals to stop at your door step. Signals work based on physics. The higher the frequency the less they can penetrate objects, especially steel that reflects. If your carrier is using higher bands, and your home is in a fringe area from the closest cell, and you have enough walls or objects, your signal goes down enough that you have trouble with reception.
    I swear they do No i was just kidding. The way it was explained to me by a person who works for my carrier, probably in layman's terms, is that with the city expanding, the signal is being directed more toward the newer development and that they were adding a tower. This was a couple years ago, then they didn't add a tower and the street I live on is probably the worst in the city that I have trouble with, (actually I have no problems anywhere else, even out in the bush) which then goes down even more in the house unless on the second floor.. For some reason, I can have a decent looking signal strength on 4G, even the rare 1 or 2 bars of LTE in my house and not even be able to check the weather. For fun once I checked as I walked toward the new development, my signal increased.
    04-29-15 01:01 PM

Regarding Walmart mentioned above, those buildings (and various others like grocery stores, Target, etc,) are usually all steel, with steel roofs. This can be enough to keep out signals depending on how close the cell site is located for any particular carrier. In downtown Chicago I could barely pull any Verizon signal in a basement of a building. My ATT friend had a signal, but most likely because his tower was closer than mine.
    So in your opinion should a person get a signal with a -80dbm?

Passport 10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 01:14 PM
    Just check your nano sim card in another device!!
    04-29-15 01:23 PM
    I swear they do No i was just kidding. The way it was explained to me by a person who works for my carrier, probably in layman's terms, is that with the city expanding, the signal is being directed more toward the newer development and that they were adding a tower. This was a couple years ago, then they didn't add a tower and the street I live on is probably the worst in the city that I have trouble with, (actually I have no problems anywhere else, even out in the bush) which then goes down even more in the house unless on the second floor.. For some reason, I can have a decent looking signal strength on 4G, even the rare 1 or 2 bars of LTE in my house and not even be able to check the weather. For fun once I checked as I walked toward the new development, my signal increased.
    yes, they are just builing out their network and contouring the signal to meet the demand. Still has nothing to do with entering homes, etc.

As far as "signal strength", I'm not a cellular radio expert, but everything I've read says that your bars don't necessarily translate directly to signal quality at any given moment.

So in your opinion should a person get a signal with a -80dbm?

Passport 10.3.2.500
    I don't understand the question. If you have -80dbm.....you have a signal. Just not a very good one. The question might be..."should you be able to make or receive a call". I would say yes but it may be more prone to dropping than a nice sweet -45.
    04-29-15 01:27 PM
    yes, they are just builing out their network and contouring the signal to meet the demand. Still has nothing to do with entering homes, etc.

As far as "signal strength", I'm not a cellular radio expert, but everything I've read says that your bars don't necessarily translate directly to signal quality at any given moment.

I don't understand the question. If you have -80dbm.....you have a signal. Just not a very good one. The question might be..."should you be able to make or receive a call". I would say yes but it may be more prone to dropping than a nice sweet -45.
    Thanks but not according to this ;

Signal strength indoors!-img_20150429_164444.png

Passport 10.3.2.500
    04-29-15 01:32 PM
    Thanks but not according to this ;

Name:	IMG_20150429_164444.png 
Views:	511 
Size:	426.3 KB 
ID:	350207

Name:	IMG_20150429_130250.png 
Views:	509 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	350208

Passport 10.3.2.500
    Sorry, didn't notice that part of the image from earlier. (SOS network....whatever that means.) Did you call your provider and ask about this?
    04-29-15 04:08 PM
    what's to call about on the sos? The OP got no service, so it defaults to sos only. Mine does that too. All cell phones have the ability to call 911, even if they have no plan/not activated, it is part of the FCC or something. I never tried it, but you could probably even call 911 without a sim card in it :S
    04-29-15 04:45 PM
    My signal strength indoors read -80dbm

Name:	IMG_20150429_164444.png 
Views:	945 
Size:	426.3 KB 
ID:	350190

From further analysis/research done I think I should I get a connection with this dbm but instead shows

Name:	IMG_20150429_130250.png 
Views:	947 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	350191

Any expert out there feels I should get a signal with -80Dbm?

Passport 10.3.2.500
    I doubt it. It is the lowest I have seen. Even -72dBm is bad for good streaming.
    andysan1971 likes this.
    04-29-15 04:56 PM
    what's to call about on the sos? The OP got no service, so it defaults to sos only. Mine does that too. All cell phones have the ability to call 911, even if they have no plan/not activated, it is part of the FCC or something. I never tried it, but you could probably even call 911 without a sim card in it :S
    Ah, so then he does have a network connection. It would only say SOS if there was a signal but no authentication with the network (they don't recognize you as a customer or have any way to bill you.) You can't make an emergency call if you have no signal. If this is the case, just try to make a free call to the provider (I think 611 is common). If the call completes,then there is a signal but there is some issue with recognizing the phone as being authenticated when signal gets low, to it defaults to emergency calls only. Really should call the provider and ask about this.
    04-29-15 05:25 PM
39 12