I bought the note 10.1 for note taking in school in high school but I realized that the s-pen & s-note is not as good as paper & pen. Also, I continued to think that Z10 had horrible battery life and screen size.

After some thought, I realized I only use my tablet for some note-taking and heavy reading. My Z10 only served me as a tool to communicate via calling, texting, facebook messenger, and kakaotalk.

But I thought, instead of carrying two devices around, why not combine them together for another device?

I have thought about the Classic as a replacement because it was cheaper. But I still kept looking at the Passport.

Can I have some opinion on what I should do? Is the Passport's keyboard easy to get used to compared to virtual keyboard? Can I do heavy reading and manage to achieve what my two devices could achieve?
    04-16-15 11:29 PM
    After getting my passport, my iPad Air sits in my drawer to dust. I gave my Samsung Tab S to someone in my family because it's no use for me. Everywhere I go, the Passport does the job for me. Couldn't be happier with my decision to purchase this awesome phablet.

The Passport is worth a 2nd look at.
    zombiecupcake likes this.
    04-17-15 12:02 AM
    Couldn't agree more.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 08:49 PM
    I loves the Passport. I'm an all touch convert whose typing was terrible at first on a pkb but now I'm finding typing on the Passport to be fast and accurate. Reading on the nice big square display is a treat!

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 09:32 PM
    I do believe that a BlackBerry passport would be a great phone for your purposes.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 09:37 PM
    My iPad sits in the drawer and my laptop sits closed in another room only used to install a leaked OS. The passport is the best device I have owned

Posted via CB10
    beamolite likes this.
    04-21-15 09:38 PM
    I bought the note 10.1 for note taking in school in high school but I realized that the s-pen & s-note is not as good as paper & pen. Also, I continued to think that Z10 had horrible battery life and screen size.
    Don't give up on pen digitizers yet. The Passport will NOT replace a good tablet for note taking at school. At university, I use a pennabled Wacom tablet (full Windows) for note taking right on top of powerpoints, PDFs, etc. It's the best method, hands down, for school notes. No more pens, paper, binders, paper ripping out, etc, etc. And after, you can pull up the One Note apk on your Passport to study.

What I suggest is selling that Note 10.1 and getting the Surface 3 when it comes out or another Atom based tablet with a digitizer. One Note for Android is junk compared to the full desktop version. Make sure to throw a matte screen protector on it and it will make the experience a million times better and closer to writing on paper. If it's a Wacom tablet, buy the hard felt nibs and pair that with the matte protector, that gives the most friction. I think the best you can do for N-trig is just throw a matte protector on the screen (not sure if they offer nibs with more friction).

I assume you either have a desktop at home or laptop that's your "heavy hitting device."

My lineup is a desktop at home, pennabled Wacom tablet for school, and my Passport. You will love the passport.
    QNX4all likes this.
    04-21-15 10:18 PM
    IMHO, Passport is great and could take quite a big portion of what you needed to do.

However, I do agree as above that a good tablet would be a great compliment to Passport in case of note taking or even heavy reading.

I personally would steer away from Android. Don't get me wrong, I used to be a Android guy. But ever since 4.3, I see not much evolutionary in Android, but a big power haggling OS.

A 10" Pad or Tablet would suit nicely for heavy reading, not taking and portability.

I would personally go with iPad for its massive softwares. But Surface is a good choice as well as Microsoft seems to be running on the right track with Windows 10. And I am looking forward to WM10 update for my Nokia 1520.

Anyways, just try both and see which you are more comfortable with.

MBFan-WHITE PASSPORT
    04-22-15 05:42 PM
    Yup...do it. As soon as you get use to the PKB you'll never look back. Passport is hands down what you need.

Posted via my AT&T BlackBerry Classic or Passport
    04-22-15 05:49 PM
    I used to have the Galaxy Note 10.1 but I sold it long ago before I got the Passport. I still find pen and paper are still the best ways to take notes and they stick in my head longer as I read them over and holding those notes physically.

Most of the time I don't even use my laptop anymore except to watch movies and type up essays or reports.

To BB or not to BB?
    04-22-15 05:55 PM
    A 10" Pad or Tablet would suit nicely for heavy reading, not taking and portability.

I would personally go with iPad for its massive softwares.
    Sorry buddy, but I'll make a bet that you haven't extensively used pennable tablets based on that statement. Disregarding the fact that I can't stand apple, an iPad is far from an ideal note taking tablet. Unless you call software based, shifty palm rejection, expensive third party styluses, or nubby pen tips with weird plastic discs around them ideal.

The iPad has nothing on Wacom and even ntrig for note taking. If you want pressure sensitivity and perfect palm rejection you want an active digitizer, not a capacitive based one.

For note taking, the new Surface 3 will probably be this dude's best bet.
    Andy Kuo likes this.
    04-22-15 05:56 PM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Passport indeed!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 06:13 PM
    Sorry buddy, but I'll make a bet that you haven't extensively used pennable tablets based on that statement. Disregarding the fact that I can't stand apple, an iPad is far from an ideal note taking tablet. Unless you call software based, shifty palm rejection, expensive third party styluses, or nubby pen tips with weird plastic discs around them ideal.

The iPad has nothing on Wacom and even ntrig for note taking. If you want pressure sensitivity and perfect palm rejection you want an active digitizer, not a capacitive based one.

For note taking, the new Surface 3 will probably be this dude's best bet.
    I agree that for note taking alone, iPad is far from perfect, but as an overall package as a pad, it is consistently job done every time.

Also taking into account that pennable is very useful, if, writing all in English and/or Alphabet, but as I am taking notes more often in Chinese, it would actually being faster using pinying + word predictions.

And I have to agree, that Samsung does make great pennable devices (had Note 2 and stylus was actually one of the major attraction for me years back. Combined with Samsung software that build around the pen concept, it was one Hella device)

MBFan-WHITE PASSPORT
    04-22-15 09:54 PM
    Passport is the best device if your only carrying one. Classic and iPad if your carrying two.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 10:41 PM
    I agree that for note taking alone, iPad is far from perfect, but as an overall package as a pad, it is consistently job done every time.

Also taking into account that pennable is very useful, if, writing all in English and/or Alphabet, but as I am taking notes more often in Chinese, it would actually being faster using pinying + word predictions.

And I have to agree, that Samsung does make great pennable devices (had Note 2 and stylus was actually one of the major attraction for me years back. Combined with Samsung software that build around the pen concept, it was one Hella device)

MBFan-WHITE PASSPORT
    Ya, I was looking at it more from the high-school/college note-taking perspective. I see classmates every day chicken peck away at their laptops writing down all the stuff the teacher is saying, when it's already available in PPT format. I have my tablet on the desk, circling stuff, highlighting text, underlining and writing pieces of relevant info to supplement the lecture. It's syncing immediately via OneDrive and I can pull up my notes later on right on my Passport. Laptops, in my opinion, are just inferior for taking notes. There's just something about handwriting.

The iPad is a great device, but in my mind it's for media consumption, not productivity. I've been obsessed with pennable tablets and have used so many now. For the OP's use case, I think the Surface 3 will be the best price/performance option for school, and can absolutely serve as a media consumption device as well (I think Android-x86 will be near flawless on it too, so you can dual boot Windows/Android). The Note tablet lineup is nice, but OneNote for Android is far behind the native Windows version.
    04-23-15 12:42 AM
    Yes I sold 9810 z10 note 3 nexus 7 2013

One passport to rule them all
    04-23-15 04:24 AM