09-14-16 01:54 AM
31 12
tools
    Hello,
    I've been a former blackberry user since the first curves and I've been sticking to the bold line with 9780 and 9900 for years (I think I've been using these two for around 6 years). When Spotify stopped being supported and the old maps of BBOS7 became a pain to use compared to google maps, plus the growing need of an efficient browser (I do many researches every day and read a lot of scientific papers on the Web for work, but I'm not at my desk most of the time so I often can't use or don't have with me my ipad / Surface and I sadly end to read on my 5 inches smartphone), I decided to switch to Android with a sad and boring iOS parenthesis.
    Right now I'm writing from a OnePlusX which is very fast and has the only complain of a not top-notch camera (something which I don't really care of). The point is that I can't find my self productive using these devices and I always feel annoyed to use my smartphone. I try to keep it clean and I love calendar/evernote/whatsapp widget but there are always too many random notifications and everything seems redundant and badly thought.

Therefore, I'm considering to return to BB with a passport (or a Classic perhaps). I've been hanging around with a Z30 for almost a year but then I sold it cause it was quite too big and I found it a bit too slow opening apps from Snap, and moreover I suffered to have a blackberry without physical keyboard. Despite of that I loved BB10, the hub, BB calendar, battery and the screen which was very enjoyable too. I used on that both BB10 10.2 and 10.3, which I remember took many improvements.

Now, the things which I'm wondering about and I ask you for are:
    - I was scared about blackberry leaving BB10 and so it seems with Chen pushing for the Priv. Are there any scheduled major or minor updates, or did BlackBerry already official left the BB10 project?
    - how is browsing on the passport? On Z30 it was fine by me.
    - how android apps run on this classic? Amazon App shop is still available? Is it possible to find a good maps and navigator app for the classic?
    - should I consider a priv? I was into that to fix the app problem but I read many comments here from people who came back to passport after been using the priv for a while. I read the review and it seems that blackberry added some nice features to Android but still looks to me that much of the Android ecosystem would be useless. And more than this, I think that passport keyboard is just not comparable to the Priv (and probably to the classic too, but I may still consider that one).

So, I hope you'll find time to help me in my decision, in the meanwhile thank you!
    Marco
    09-09-16 04:35 AM
    To kick things off I have to say that for speed of moving around an OS there is nothing better than BB10 (my company phone is an iPhone and the OS is just too clunky).

As you've used legacy devices for years the best option is probably the Classic. It has THE best keyboard and the tool belt has made a welcome return which makes zipping around the OS even faster and you can do it one-handed!

I'm writing this on my Passport SE and the keyboard just isn't quite as fluid because of the mix of physical buttons and virtual symbols/numbers. It's also strictly a two handed device. However, I'm more than happy with those minor shortcomings because the screen size/shape is an absolute revelation. The device is also the most handsome & unique design of any phone.

Whichever way you go I think you'll be very happy.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    09-09-16 07:16 AM
    I just upgraded from the Z30. I was almost ready to Pull the trigger and get the Priv, but I read James / Berry Flow post about going back to the Passport, and it struck me that the Priv isn't ever going to be BB10. I love BB10, anything else will not suffice. Thank you James for leading me in the right direction. The Passport is exactly what I needed. I'm a virtual keyboard guy, the Passport keyboard isn't natural to me, but I'm making progress. The main thing to know is that the Passport is absolutely a huge step up from the Z30, which I loved, but the Passport excels where the Z30 just performs. Phone reception, phone speaker quality (although less bass response, but really not bad), download speed, build quality, battery endurance are all better on the Passport. It's a great phone and everyone stops to look at it. John Chen and company need to recognize that they have great assets with their BB10 software and a hardware development division that produces the most innovative products that work. The new iPhone 7 is a great toy and camera. It has 500,000 games like Pocemon and Super Mario, but it isn't a serious business communication tool. If that's what you are looking for - look no further that the BlackBerry Passport! I highly recommend it!

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    josuam likes this.
    09-09-16 01:40 PM
    Couldn't have said it better. Z30 was a nice ride and switching to PP is a nice reward.

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    David Tyler likes this.
    09-09-16 09:14 PM
    I just upgraded from the Z30. I was almost ready to Pull the trigger and get the Priv, but I read James / Berry Flow post about going back to the Passport, and it struck me that the Priv isn't ever going to be BB10. I love BB10, anything else will not suffice. Thank you James for leading me in the right direction. The Passport is exactly what I needed. I'm a virtual keyboard guy, the Passport keyboard isn't natural to me, but I'm making progress. The main thing to know is that the Passport is absolutely a huge step up from the Z30, which I loved, but the Passport excels where the Z30 just performs. Phone reception, phone speaker quality (although less bass response, but really not bad), download speed, build quality, battery endurance are all better on the Passport. It's a great phone and everyone stops to look at it. John Chen and company need to recognize that they have great assets with their BB10 software and a hardware development division that produces the most innovative products that work. The new iPhone 7 is a great toy and camera. It has 500,000 games like Pocemon and Super Mario, but it isn't a serious business communication tool. If that's what you are looking for - look no further that the BlackBerry Passport! I highly recommend it!

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    I don't think that the iPhone has Super Mario... now, my Passport, on the other hand:
    Should I return to BlackBerry?-img_20160909_233832.png
    09-09-16 09:39 PM
    I don't think that the iPhone has Super Mario... now, my Passport, on the other hand:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160909_233832.png 
Views:	730 
Size:	585.1 KB 
ID:	408101
    That might be the best argument for having a Passport !!!!
    yrfthl likes this.
    09-09-16 09:48 PM
    I had the Z30 and after the updates it ran just as fast loading apps and games as my Passport. I know you don't play games but they take lots of processing power and ram so it was the appropriate test. The only reason I went to the Passport was cause it was an upgrade an how could I refuse to try the most arguably innovative phone made to date? The camera and specs where another factor to get it. Currently on the Passport, loving it and I will not use anything else. If you read a lot then the Passport is an easy choice I'd think.

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    09-10-16 06:31 AM
    My daily driver is a Passport. I've had an iPhone and played around with Android and I don't think either are as good as BB10. That's my personal opinion. That having been said...the writing that BlackBerry is putting on the wall is that BB10's days are numbered. It may take a few years, but I think it's going by the wayside. They're charging ahead hard and fast with Android and creating BB10 like apps to make the transition from BB10 to Android a little easier on BB10 fans. Perhaps you could download Hub+ on you Android phone to experience what the BlackBerry Hub is like.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    09-10-16 07:12 AM
    BlackBerry Passport is an amazing phone, I have more than 2 years with mine and it works like new. Better than new Android and Iphones.

Great feeling in hands, excelent display, best keyboard ever... In this past two years I bought IPhone and Samsung Phones, buy I always returned to my Passport.

Sorry for my english, I speack Spanish.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-16 08:20 AM
    It all depends on what you are looking for in your phone. BB10 is good for communication first with apps and things like that coming in second. If you don't mind having the latest and greatest apps and don't mind doing a little work to get the apps to HOPEFULLY work, i would say get a BB10 phone.

You can't go wrong with either the Passport or Classic. Both were my daily driver at one point. If you want usability, i would go Classic. If you need screen estate, go Passport.

Wish you well OP.
    09-10-16 09:35 AM
    So, Tomorrow I think I'll be handling my new Passport SE and I can't wait to download again the Crackberry app.
    Only doubt is: what about WhatsApp? I read that the BB10 version is not going to be official supported anymore after December '16: is that true? Are you already using the android version and is that working fine?

I tried in the past days to install BlackBerry apps on my OnePlusX. I think that "floating widgets" are a magnificent idea but the hub is far away from what I could remember since my Z30. Maybe I would not be ready for a Priv yet, it just looks like I would switch to an heavy android phone just to gain a normal physcal keyboard, probably worse than what I could remind from legacy Blackberries. I think that, if I may go back to android in the next years, BB launcher would be surely my choice. That said, I'll take this ride and see if it works.

Thanks everyone for answering, I really like blackberries at least as much as I appreciate this community.
    09-10-16 06:06 PM
    Hello,
    I've been a former blackberry user since the first curves and I've been sticking to the bold line with 9780 and 9900 for years (I think I've been using these two for around 6 years). When Spotify stopped being supported and the old maps of BBOS7 became a pain to use compared to google maps, plus the growing need of an efficient browser (I do many researches every day and read a lot of scientific papers on the Web for work, but I'm not at my desk most of the time so I often can't use or don't have with me my ipad / Surface and I sadly end to read on my 5 inches smartphone), I decided to switch to Android with a sad and boring iOS parenthesis.
    Right now I'm writing from a OnePlusX which is very fast and has the only complain of a not top-notch camera (something which I don't really care of). The point is that I can't find my self productive using these devices and I always feel annoyed to use my smartphone. I try to keep it clean and I love calendar/evernote/whatsapp widget but there are always too many random notifications and everything seems redundant and badly thought.

Therefore, I'm considering to return to BB with a passport (or a Classic perhaps). I've been hanging around with a Z30 for almost a year but then I sold it cause it was quite too big and I found it a bit too slow opening apps from Snap, and moreover I suffered to have a blackberry without physical keyboard. Despite of that I loved BB10, the hub, BB calendar, battery and the screen which was very enjoyable too. I used on that both BB10 10.2 and 10.3, which I remember took many improvements.

Now, the things which I'm wondering about and I ask you for are:
    - I was scared about blackberry leaving BB10 and so it seems with Chen pushing for the Priv. Are there any scheduled major or minor updates, or did BlackBerry already official left the BB10 project?
    - how is browsing on the passport? On Z30 it was fine by me.
    - how android apps run on this classic? Amazon App shop is still available? Is it possible to find a good maps and navigator app for the classic?
    - should I consider a priv? I was into that to fix the app problem but I read many comments here from people who came back to passport after been using the priv for a while. I read the review and it seems that blackberry added some nice features to Android but still looks to me that much of the Android ecosystem would be useless. And more than this, I think that passport keyboard is just not comparable to the Priv (and probably to the classic too, but I may still consider that one).

So, I hope you'll find time to help me in my decision, in the meanwhile thank you!
    Marco
    A very interesting and personal question. I have used a BlackBerry from day one, and when the new Priv came out I had issues more with the OS than the phone. I went back to my Passport only for the screen size. That said, the priv is one fine phone fast sleek and BB keyboard. The Dtek is a fine phone but a few pegs lower, and is much easier to carry in a pocket. Either way you go they are both fine products. Even an OS 10 phone, is a good choice with side loading and all, but it is more to the end of life than the beginning.
    09-10-16 07:18 PM
    The Z30 was ahead of its time when it was released. The passport is an awesome awesome phone! Won't be disappointed.
    09-10-16 10:08 PM
    No. Whatsapp won't support BlackBerry 10 after 2016
    09-10-16 10:41 PM
    You already have...

 Blackberry Passport
    09-10-16 11:19 PM
    So android version is the solution?
    09-11-16 02:14 AM
    The Passport is great. It's not the stares I get from people, but it gets my work done more efficient in less time then if it was another phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 02:30 AM
    Of course not. The apk version (the Android one) is slow, can't run as a headless app (notifications don't work always as expected and it drains your battery), and doesn't let you upload images or videos. There was an app that fixed at least images uploading, but it's now gone (WAA Fixer).
    At least here in Europe (you're American, right? I don't know if in the USA WhatsApp is so widely used, or if you prefer Telegram, Viber etc), there are no people anymore who aren't using WhatsApp all the time. Every contact of mines uses it daily, both for work and chatting, and I couldn't live without WhatsApp, just as I couldn't without mails. My advice is to focus on the PRIV or to wait for the imminent Mercury (allegedly coming out in October): BB OS 10 should be considered a deprecated OS (someone remembers OS 10.3.3?). Sure, a Passport is faster than my Z10, but what will happen when Jelly Bean support (which isn't the most recent Android 4 version) will be dropped by some apps you really need? Or some apps will just stop working without any reason (maybe WhatsApp), which is exactly what happened with the Android Facebook app?
    It's difficult saying these things in this forum, because here, saying that BB OS 10 is dead... it's that famous idiomatism about the elephant in the room.
    BlackBerry 10 was a promising OS, but it's like WebOS, or the PlayBook: it's dead. Please just consider Android-powered BlackBerrys, the best Android devices out there. And don't wast money on a two-years old, deprecated phone. If only the Passport SE came out with Android, instead of being just a test device, it would have been the ultimate smartphone.
    09-11-16 02:33 AM
    The Passport is great. It's not the stares I get from people, but it gets my work done more efficient in less time then if it was another phone.

Posted via CB10
    The envious and curious stares are just a bonus lol

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 05:19 AM
    Get the passport SE! BB10 Os 10.3.2.. rocks!

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 05:33 AM
    Of course not. The apk version (the Android one) is slow, can't run as a headless app (notifications don't work always as expected and it drains your battery), and doesn't let you upload images or videos. There was an app that fixed at least images uploading, but it's now gone (WAA Fixer).
    At least here in Europe (you're American, right? I don't know if in the USA WhatsApp is so widely used, or if you prefer Telegram, Viber etc), there are no people anymore who aren't using WhatsApp all the time. Every contact of mines uses it daily, both for work and chatting, and I couldn't live without WhatsApp, just as I couldn't without mails. My advice is to focus on the PRIV or to wait for the imminent Mercury (allegedly coming out in October): BB OS 10 should be considered a deprecated OS (someone remembers OS 10.3.3?). Sure, a Passport is faster than my Z10, but what will happen when Jelly Bean support (which isn't the most recent Android 4 version) will be dropped by some apps you really need? Or some apps will just stop working without any reason (maybe WhatsApp), which is exactly what happened with the Android Facebook app?
    It's difficult saying these things in this forum, because here, saying that BB OS 10 is dead... it's that famous idiomatism about the elephant in the room.
    BlackBerry 10 was a promising OS, but it's like WebOS, or the PlayBook: it's dead. Please just consider Android-powered BlackBerrys, the best Android devices out there. And don't wast money on a two-years old, deprecated phone. If only the Passport SE came out with Android, instead of being just a test device, it would have been the ultimate smartphone.
    You are entitled to your opinion about Android and it's merits even with BlackBerry backing but to say BB10 should be a deprecated OS and be push out into oncoming traffic like you 80 year old grandmother who you don't want to visit anymore is lame. It works fine, many of whom don't need whatsapp and realize that's it's not that big a deal to switch to BBM if need be. We still have to wait and see if the Whatsapp app does indeed stop working after December. I don't trust anything till it happens.

As for Facebook, I never had the app installed on IOS or Android anyway due to privacy concerns and battery drain so the whole Facebook argument is null and void to me.

So to say someone who wants to use BB10 again that they shouldn't I can't say I would deter them just yet but caution them on the limitations and what the uncertain future. The OS is still the most efficient communication system I've seen and the hard keyboard is bar none the best I've used especially on the Passport.

I for one have no interest in the mickey mouse like experience I get from the Android system. In my opinion it in itself is limited in the way the hub works in android compared to the way it does in BB10 . The HUB is where I live and that is what the BB10 experience is all about.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 05:40 AM
    I'm stuck with this WhatsApp problem, which made me wait to buy the PP SE. I'm from Italy and I'd love to use BBM instead of WhatsApp but such a thing is simply not possible here, where everyone uses WhatsApp for any kind of activity (work, college, friends, everything is around WhatsApp and WhatsApp Group). I'm on facebook only for some institutional duties which I explain trough email notifications and browser when needed, in fact I've never been using a facebook app nor I felt the need. The only application which I can't miss is WhatsApp, it's just a key feature to me. I can replace email client, calendar, not WhatsApp.

Therefore this is a problem: I read on CB that the android app is not working well as said on this thread also, and basically that is not usable. I think I won't buy a phone which might be useless to me in three months and I may wait for march to see how the situation is with WhatsApp, if maybe any independet devoloper did resolve that or if WhatsApp would still be working even without being fixed anymore. This is so bad, but I can't see any other way. Well, life would go on even without a smartphone, I can deal without my blackberry, even if this means that I'll try to use my phone as less as possible from now on.
    09-11-16 06:33 AM
    I'm stuck with this WhatsApp problem, which made me wait to buy the PP SE. I'm from Italy and I'd love to use BBM instead of WhatsApp but such a thing is simply not possible here, where everyone uses WhatsApp for any kind of activity (work, college, friends, everything is around WhatsApp and WhatsApp Group). I'm on facebook only for some institutional duties which I explain trough email notifications and browser when needed, in fact I've never been using a facebook app nor I felt the need. The only application which I can't miss is WhatsApp, it's just a key feature to me. I can replace email client, calendar, not WhatsApp.

Therefore this is a problem: I read on CB that the android app is not working well as said on this thread also, and basically that is not usable. I think I won't buy a phone which might be useless to me in three months and I may wait for march to see how the situation is with WhatsApp, if maybe any independet devoloper did resolve that or if WhatsApp would still be working even without being fixed anymore. This is so bad, but I can't see any other way. Well, life would go on even without a smartphone, I can deal without my blackberry, even if this means that I'll try to use my phone as less as possible from now on.
    No offense intended but it is sad that one app can decide the fate or decisions of so many. I don't know what the answer to this tech problem is but it is a bad scenario where a powerful developer like Facebook/Whatsapp can play this game with the market. By market I mean not allowing other Dev's to create alternative app on their behalf and they wouldn't even have to maintain it. This is not how you creat growth in an economy where developers disallow services to certain OS's on Zero basis. This will only discourage competition and innovative development leaving a monopoly of two and the consumer with less choices.

Sad is all I Have to say at the moment.

I am enjoying limiting the tracking on my activity with my BlackBerry Passport and that is another factor for my decision to stay with BB10.
    Good luck to you and hope you find a solution that suits your needs as well as I have.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-16 09:45 AM

I am enjoying limiting the tracking on my activity with my BlackBerry Passport and that is another factor for my decision to stay with BB10.
    Good luck to you and hope you find a solution that suits your needs as well as I have.

Posted via CB10
    With you on that. I am somewhat amazed how so many seem to have forgotten or no longer care about the privacy or use of their info by these data mining "pigs". I for one am a holdout. Whatsapp deleted from a carefully pruned (i.e. limted info) backup BB10 phone. After that opt out stunt re Facebook some family members have also nixed it.

Posted via CB10
    The_Passporter likes this.
    09-11-16 10:13 AM
    I'm going back to BB on Monday when my new PP arrives. Ive gone back and forth from BB to IOS to Android over the past several years and I prefer BB OS. Unfortunately, it looks like it's on its last legs. Nonetheless, I'm gonna roll with it for as long as I can.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-11-16 10:34 AM
31 12