Hi guys,

I have the Passport for 10 days and I love it. I have noticed several things that concern me and wanted to find out if it is worth getting a replacement since I have four days left to do that. The phone was purchased from Carphone Warehouse and the production date is 031214.

On to the issues:

1. Light bleeding from keyboard around keys A, P, Delete and Return.
    2. Sticky/squeaky P, Delete and Return keys (there is a threat on the forum that shows the same problem)
    3. Strange spot at the back of the phone. Looks like a greasy patch around the logo that would not go away. It has been there since day one, and it is very annoying. Once again, there was a threat about it
    4. When using BBM and whatsapp and I hit return to send a message, 80% of the time the magnifying glass select tool will pop up. It does not hinder productivity, but is very annoying indeed.
    5. If I tilt the phone and look at it at an angle (from keyboard towards top of the screen) I can see light bleed from top left corner of the screen. It is not visible when looking at the phone from a 90 degree angle.

As a whole, I am a happy Blackberry owner and it's good to be back. Should I get a replacement unit though?

Thanks

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    hranawat likes this.
    01-13-15 03:46 AM
    Nope these are not common as I've had mine since day one!

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 07:23 AM
    I have had a couple of passports and I haven't had any light bleeding issues as you have described, the greasy spot around the logo I have had and it usually cleans off with a damp cloth. If you are within your 30 day return period, I would call and just exchange it for a new one.

Sent from my awesome red Passport on T Mobile USA
    01-13-15 07:58 AM
    Hi to all;

take a look at this: (you have to type because im still a "minus 10" so i can't post links) "h t t p : //fw.to/6JseQzM". Sorry for that.

its an article from "Globe & Mail" where they perform a bend test of the BB PP, like the ones they did with iphone6+. And NO, they cannot bend it (at least as the i6 did), albeit the screen does detach...nothing to do with the "bend gate" situation of the i6.

w w w . theglobeandmail. com / technology / technology-video / video-will-it-bend-we-see-if-the-blackberry-passport-is-stronger-than-an-iphone-6/ ...

( article20801006 /#video4id22166109) .

Ps: if there a problem with this "link" and -10 situation, please apologize. I will delete this post.
    Last edited by VSCPSBRDAO; 01-13-15 at 10:26 AM. Reason: to add stuff and correct other stuff
    01-13-15 10:17 AM
    If you got it from Amazon, then exchanges are easy to do.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    01-13-15 10:44 AM
    Great, thank you guys. I will make my way to Carphonewarehouse tomorrow and get a replacement.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    01-13-15 04:46 PM
    Quick update.

I went into Selfridges today and the exchange took 2 mins. Great guys and customer service. I am not so happy with Blackberry though. Same loose keyboard (this time the Z key is the winner of the wobble squeak competition) as well as what appears to be a dot on the screen. It looks like a stuck pixel on white background, but it is not visible on black. Funny enough it looks like a very miniature chip on the screen too when I run a nail across it. And the device has been out of the box, and onto a desk all day long, so damage is out of the question. Oh yeah, and light blead from both sides of the keyboard (more pronounced on the right).

I have checked the production date and it is 171214, which looks like another batch to me.

Am I being unlucky or does BB have zero QC nowadays? I will be going in to Selfridges again tomorrow, and I am sure they would not be happy to see me again

What do you guys think?
    01-15-15 07:30 PM
    [QUOTE=radolondon;11254359]Hi guys,

4. When using BBM and whatsapp and I hit return to send a message, 80% of the time the magnifying glass select tool will pop up. It does not hinder productivity, but is very annoying indeed.

I get this very often, hope it's just a software bug that will get fixed with the next update!

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 07:46 PM
    Quick update.

I went into Selfridges today and the exchange took 2 mins. Great guys and customer service. I am not so happy with Blackberry though. Same loose keyboard (this time the Z key is the winner of the wobble squeak competition) as well as what appears to be a dot on the screen. It looks like a stuck pixel on white background, but it is not visible on black. Funny enough it looks like a very miniature chip on the screen too when I run a nail across it. And the device has been out of the box, and onto a desk all day long, so damage is out of the question. Oh yeah, and light blead from both sides of the keyboard (more pronounced on the right).

I have checked the production date and it is 171214, which looks like another batch to me.

Am I being unlucky or does BB have zero QC nowadays? I will be going in to Selfridges again tomorrow, and I am sure they would not be happy to see me again

What do you guys think?
    I think you're very likely to get another unit with issues. Many of them have faults. Stuck or dead pixels on about 60%-70% of devices I've seen, light bleed of/around the keyboard in 90% of devices, loose/rattling keys in about 40% of devices I've seen. I think that they do have QC, but the real question is what they perceive as acceptable fault frequency. I already had a discussion with their management around defective pixels and they said that they have a minimum defective pixel policy before they will consider it a defect. I asked for the policy but so far have not been provided one.

Both my Red Passports have stuck (hot white) pixels. Yours has a dead (dark) pixel. At least three more of my Black Passports had stuck pixels. Some had 1-2, some had a few, sometimes spread around the screen, sometimes grouped together.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 08:13 PM
    Return it

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 09:06 PM
    You would think one dead pixel would be one dead pixel too many to sell the phone..... the two passports I had had none of the listed issues. The issue I had was the space bar feeling almost wore out on both of them.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 10:29 PM
    The space bar oft mine is "really" hard to press.
    It slows down my typing speed.
    An the " U" letter is sometimes "squeaky" when i press it...

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    01-16-15 06:02 AM
    The space bar oft mine is "really" hard to press.
    It slows down my typing speed.
    An the " U" letter is sometimes "squeaky" when i press it...

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    I found if you didn't hit the space bar in the center it was hard to press. It also slowed my typing speed because I was always checking to see if it registered(and sometimes it didn't)... it just felt wore out....

Posted via CB10
    01-16-15 06:42 AM