If you've never owned or used a BB10 device before and are now considering it, the only way I could recommend it is if you knowingly have the patience to regularly invest your time on workarounds. If you're not the kind of user who cycles through 2-3 phones a year and are looking for something to last you the next 2-3 years, than it would be disingenuous for anyone to persuade you to get a phone that will reach EOL status in 18 months.

"Give it a try" only applies if you can accept the fact that buying a Passport and relying on it for daily use will require extra effort on your part to keep it running the way you need it to run (based on your list of requirements).

It's like you're about to buy a boat that will consistently spring new leaks over the next 18 months. Sure, you'll still get to your intended destination with some effort. But eventually you're going to run out of fingers and toes to plug those leaks!

Personally, I adore my Passport SE. LOVE IT! But nowadays, my love for it is through fond memories of using it in 2015 and my admiration for it as a beautiful piece of constructed hardware. In the immortal words of Indy Jones, "It belongs in a museum!"
    I'd say exactly the opposite. Only consider a BB10 phone if you're satisfied with its stock functionality and apps with zero workarounds, and are comfortable taking the risk that basic functions aren't guaranteed after 2019.

A real consideration is the fact that the Browser's performance is a significant issue and will.only degrade further.

Personally, even with all the caveats, I'm MUCH happier with my BB10 phones as my daily drivers and an spare Android in my bag for mobile Web browsing and the occasional app.

But I know many people want to or need to use mainstream mobile apps. In that case, you're absolutely right that BB19 is a phone for tinkerers and hobbyists.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-12-18 06:29 PM
    I'd say exactly the opposite. Only consider a BB10 phone if you're satisfied with its stock functionality and apps with zero workarounds, and are comfortable taking the risk that basic functions aren't guaranteed after 2019.

A real consideration is the fact that the Browser's performance is a significant issue and will.only degrade further.

Personally, even with all the caveats, I'm MUCH happier with my BB10 phones as my daily drivers and an spare Android in my bag for mobile Web browsing and the occasional app.

But I know many people want to or need to use mainstream mobile apps. In that case, you're absolutely right that BB19 is a phone for tinkerers and hobbyists.

Really?!? BB19 ???? Hurry up and correct or you’ll start what’ll be remembered years from now as “the CrackBerry Incident”.
    06-12-18 07:31 PM
    Lol. Typi

ppeters914 likes this.
    06-12-18 07:36 PM
    I didn’t see your comment. Moderators are free to debate and generally are held to a higher standard. Trusted Members such as myself are held to a higher standard as well. That doesn’t mean that we can’t express our point of view.

Perhaps things became too personal? You have to remember, this place is named CrackBerry. It’s for all things BlackBerry and not just BB10 diehards. We joke about safe places. I have with you directly made that joking comment. There’s no safe place in forum boards, just civil discourse. I’ve had to be warned and suspended more than most. I finally got the message, I think.
    I did not say anything personal. In fact the suspension was ironic because others were telling me that I can say whatever I want in defense of my positions but they have a right to say whatever they want on the BB10 boards.

(Personally, I think a lot of the "BB10 is going to die so give up now" comments are off-topic.)

Posted via CB10
    06-12-18 07:59 PM
    I did not say anything personal. In fact the suspension was ironic because others were telling me that I can say whatever I want in defense of my positions but they have a right to say whatever they want on the BB10 boards.

(Personally, I think a lot of the "BB10 is going to die so give up now" comments are off-topic.)

Posted via CB10
    Suspension happens due to point accumulation. If you feel like discussing further or feel someone has over stepped, then send a PM. That’s how I’ve avoided some trouble now.
    06-12-18 08:08 PM
    It's in the same spot as BB10.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-...-2019-at-least

The Lumia 1020 is probably the only Windows device I would personally buy in 2018 but only for the camera and not as a daily driver. I'm not sure if it would work as a daily driver either because it's stuck on Windows Phone 8.1 (IIRC you could upgrade to Windows 10 through the Insider program but you lose camera optimizations in the process).
    A little off topic: A big difference is that Microsoft still roll out real updates. Yes, 1020 could be updated to at least creators update and works fairly smooth. However, it's no longer possible entirely through the Insider program, there are other ways. Also the original lumia camera app has been provided for it, to be able to take full advantage of the pureview technique. Also there are 3rd party very good camera apps offering the same possibility.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mikael11; 06-12-18 at 11:49 PM.
    Invictus0 likes this.
    06-12-18 11:37 PM
    I think you should go for passport it's best black berry made

Posted via CB10
    06-13-18 01:23 AM
    Also, why not look into a more modern Win phone? I'm not sure which one you have, but the 1520 and 950/950XL seem like awesome phones. I still might do some impulse buying and get one-- Maybe a 1020 with camera grip and power bank as a tiny picture take with one of those external lens kits.... Fringe tech is a lot more fun than having what everyone else has, but if you NEED NEED NEED certain apps and aren't willing to tinker a bit, it seems like BB10 isn't right.
    Actually i've got a 1520 and the tactile is going crazy, so i need to change it, i was considering a Elite X3 from HP but the price is still too high considering the lack of support of WMobile (twitter is not working any more because they upgraded their soft)...
    06-13-18 03:33 AM
    BB10 is currently in worse shape than Windows 10 Mobile (which still receives monthly updates IIRC). Why would anyone recommend OP spend $200+ dollars on a device that won't even properly meet their listed needs?

If it's just about avoiding iOS and Android, you're better off with Sailfish which is still seeing active development instead of a OS that is getting almost no support from its creator. But much like the other platforms, app support will be a problem.
    If i understand for Sailfish OS the only good phone supported is Sony XperiaX, right?
    06-13-18 06:06 AM
    So far you're right.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-18 07:43 AM
    If i understand for Sailfish OS the only good phone supported is Sony XperiaX, right?
    Yup but you have to install Sailfish yourself on that device and it will only work on certain variants.

https://jolla.com/sailfishX/

Keep in mind though, the app situation on Sailfish is the same as (perhaps even worse) than Windows Phone and BB10. If you don't want to deal with that anymore you might be better off with a Android device.
    06-13-18 09:40 AM
    Yup but you have to install Sailfish yourself on that device and it will only work on certain variants.

https://jolla.com/sailfishX/

Keep in mind though, the app situation on Sailfish is the same as (perhaps even worse) than Windows Phone and BB10. If you don't want to deal with that anymore you might be better off with a Android device.
    yes seems a complicate path too.
    06-13-18 09:54 AM
    However it supports android apps too, not sure on what level though.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-18 10:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    4.4 only, I believe.
    06-13-18 10:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Android 4.4.4.... it's based on Myriad Alien Dalvik, and there is no sign of them going beyond that. (even though Jolla says they are working on an update... but they do say a lot of things that they never deliver on). But the difference between 4.3 support and 4.4.4 support is pretty big, if only BlackBerry had...

Back in 2014 Google could see a number of copy cats popping up that relied on Google's ecosystem. They started implementing a number of changes to Android and to Google Play to protect the ecosystem that they had built and their marketshare. Sailfish, Tizen, BB10... are on their own at this point. Which is why BlackBerry is ending BB10, why Samsung has refocused Tizen on IoT products and why Sailfish is going nowhere.
    06-13-18 11:38 AM
    I don' think Jolla even themselves recommend a sailfish phone as a primary device, it's a "tech guy phone" for the very interested. I also think some phone features are yet to work.
    Thanks for info of android level!

Posted via CB10
    06-13-18 02:16 PM
    Wow, Jolla must spend two billion a year on its OS. You need 1,000 engineers, 50,000 square feet of physical plant, 200 clerical staff, 100 potted plants, 100 custodians, 50 security guards, 10 HR harpy women, 5 accountants and one CEO with the business cunning of Dear Leader John Chen -- and there is only one of those.

And Jolla is generating almost no income. Think of all the billions they are losing.

Posted via CB10
    kkoo and elfabio80 like this.
    06-13-18 02:23 PM
    Wow, Jolla must spend two billion a year on its OS. You need 1,000 engineers, 50,000 square feet of physical plant, 200 clerical staff, 100 potted plants, 100 custodians, 50 security guards, 10 HR harpy women, 5 accountants and one CEO with the business cunning of Dear Leader John Chen -- and there is only one of those.

And Jolla is generating almost no income. Think of all the billions they are losing.

Posted via CB10
    Lol! That's some next level sarcasm!
    elfabio80 likes this.
    06-13-18 02:50 PM

Posted via CB10

No Sailfish is just a hobbyist OS that hardly anyone uses as a daily driver.

Jolla started with a pretty well completed mobile OS and put a new UI and some finishing touches on it. But still it was a beta at best. Now years later that hasn't changed any more than Sailfish has.

By not spending billions on real development of Sailfish, they aren't losing billions. Now what the investors that keep Jolla funded are doing... who knows. Waiting for HTML5 to end apps? Waiting for the EU to outlaw Google? Just a Tax write-off?
    06-13-18 03:08 PM
    I have never been told what remark violates the terms of service. I did note that one of the Android Brigade members debating with me was a... moderator! Shocking!

I have never personally insulted anyone. I have only questioned conclusions and positions relative to BlackBerry.
    Please read your last 2 PM's from me -- I can only assume that you didn't read them or may have only skimmed over them. If you still need clarification or have questions or complaints after that, please contact me directly by PM.
    06-13-18 04:48 PM
    Lol! That's some next level sarcasm!
    He’s really upset that BB10 wasn’t as successful as BBOS or Android. CrackBerry should give him a refurb KEYone just so he can see that BBAndroid is what BB was going for in 2010 but didn’t want to lose BIS revenue.
    06-13-18 05:50 PM
    Please read your last 2 PM's from me -- I can only assume that you didn't read them or may have only skimmed over them. If you still need clarification or have questions or complaints after that, please contact me directly by PM.
    Hey markmall, unless you’re a mongoose, it’s beer-thirty unless you’re on weird schedule. Grab a drink and PM me.

Not looking to overstep ECM, just if my buddy gets cutoff, then PM is killed as well as I’ve learned in my sabbatical vacations from CB
    06-13-18 06:01 PM
    Hey markmall, unless you’re a mongoose, it’s beer-thirty unless you’re on weird schedule. Grab a drink and PM me.

Not looking to overstep ECM, just if my buddy gets cutoff, then PM is killed as well as I’ve learned in my sabbatical vacations from CB
    I'm really confused. I use the BB10 app for CB so have not been alerted to my pm. I will have to log on to a PC.

We have been trading friendly barbs for years over BB10 issues. I use sarcasm to make my points but have never insulted anyone. Sigh.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-18 09:38 PM
    I'm really confused. I use the BB10 app for CB so have not been alerted to my pm. I will have to log on to a PC.

We have been trading friendly barbs for years over BB10 issues. I use sarcasm to make my points but have never insulted anyone. Sigh.

Posted via CB10
    It’s ok. We’re roadrunner and wile e coyote.
    06-13-18 09:41 PM
    Make sure to buy the Passport Silver.. best Berry I've ever owned. Still to this day my fav phone. I like it better than my KeyOne and iPhone 6s.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-18 02:03 AM
95 1234