Hi There,
    My Nokia windows phone is ready to die soon, i was considering to get a BB (while Microsoft is waiting to release a new device), but a cheap one...

Off course the Key2 is out soon but too expensive for me as new.

I was considering a BB Passport SE, but wanted to know if it worth to get for 200€ 235$ (as new).
    What should i know about the limitations of the BB service?

What do you think? Should i get a cheap Key one instead?

I never used a BB before.

Thanks fo your advices
    06-11-18 06:49 AM
    If you don't know what BB10 is... now isn't the time to find out. Go for a used KEYone.
    06-11-18 07:02 AM
    It's because it will end late 2019?
    06-11-18 07:06 AM
    Get it.. it's the best BlackBerry ever made and BB10 is amazing.

Look at the brand new KeyTwo.. it's entire design is synthetically a Passport SE.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    06-11-18 07:48 AM
    Hi There,
    My Nokia windows phone is ready to die soon, i was considering to get a BB (while Microsoft is waiting to release a new device), but a cheap one...

I was considering a BB Passport SE, but wanted to know if it worth to get for 200€ 235$ (as new).

Thanks fo your advices
    If you understand the limitations and you know what you want it for it's the best device you can have! If the answer to the above is no, go for key2

Posted via CB10
    towngirl likes this.
    06-11-18 07:59 AM
    Hi There,

Thanks fo your advices
    Save your money until the KeyOne drops in price shortly have the Key2 launch.
    Murundum likes this.
    06-11-18 08:33 AM
    If you understand the limitations and you know what you want it for it's the best device you can have! If the answer to the above is no, go for key2

Posted via CB10
    By limitations what do you mean?
    I need a
    gps with map (online and offline)
    email (Gmail, Yahoo)
    Agenda (Gmail)
    internet
    note-taking (picture txt sounds) that i can export to PC (Oneote or else)
    Connection with Microsoft OneDrive (Onenote Word Excel)
    Social Network (Twitter VK)
    Some fews apps (News Weather...)
    More or less that all.
    06-11-18 08:53 AM
    If you want to run mainstream apps and browse all modern, heavily scripted Web sites, run away from BB10, but if you want an amazing typing, reading, email and voice communication tool like an old school BlackBerry by all means get a Passport SE!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-11-18 09:03 AM
    Save your money until the KeyOne drops in price shortly have the Key2 launch.
    Why would it drop? Do expect to see a drop in resell value as many KEYone users upgrade.... but retail, I'm just not sure about.

My guess is if the KEYone continues to exist, then they'll need some separation in price between the KEYtwo Lite and the KEYone. It's more likely that the Black and Silver KEYones will be EOL soon and fade from sales channels pretty quickly, the Bronze gets released finally, and becomes that standard and hold the line at $549. Allowing the KEYtwo lite to come in at $449.

While it would be great if the KEYtwo Lite were $349... with the KEYone at $449, I just don't think those margin levels are what TCL are looking for.
    06-11-18 09:12 AM
    Why would it drop? Do expect to see a drop in resell value as many KEYone users upgrade.... but retail, I'm just not sure about.

My guess is if the KEYone continues to exist, then they'll need some separation in price between the KEYtwo Lite and the KEYone. It's more likely that the Black and Silver KEYones will be EOL soon and fade from sales channels pretty quickly, the Bronze gets released finally, and becomes that standard and hold the line at $549. Allowing the KEYtwo lite to come in at $449.

While it would be great if the KEYtwo Lite were $349... with the KEYone at $449, I just don't think those margin levels are what TCL are looking for.
    Good timing! Amazon just announced the KEYone at $400!

06-11-18 09:18 AM
    Good timing! Amazon just announced the KEYone at $400!

Then I'd really not expect the KEYone and KEYtwo Lite to both exist at the same time.

But it's not impossible to sell a SD450 powered phone for $299 (or even $199) either. If BBMo could do that, it would open up some of those past markets to them.
    06-11-18 09:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    I need a
    email (Gmail, Yahoo)
    Agenda (Gmail)
    internet
    More or less that all.
    06-11-18 09:26 AM

Given that the headline news on CrackBerry is that you can now get a K1 for $400 USD, and he's contemplating a Passport for 200 pounds, smart money is on the K1.
    06-11-18 09:49 AM
    The BB10 native app library is non-existent, and Android app compatibility is limited to Android 4.3 without Google services. That said, you've listed browsers, social networks, and office apps among your needs, which puts it past the Passport's faltering capabilities. Save your money.
    06-11-18 09:57 AM
    I need a
    email (Gmail, Yahoo)
    Agenda (Gmail)
    internet
    More or less that all.
    Paid Apps are gone from BBW... that's a limitation.
    Android Runtime is based on 4.3... that's a limitation.
    The have said other services will be discontinued between now and the end of 2019 EOL.... that's a limitation. Many of their services are based on licensing from third parties, and have started to be phased out.

More or less BB10 "might" meet your needs right now... many find it still functional. But it's better days are behind it, I don't see the point in investing into something with no future.
    06-11-18 10:00 AM
    ok then it's should be a keyOne black edition.
    thanks to all

What about the Dtek 60 is it something to consider (except the physical keyboard off course)
    Last edited by pht; 06-11-18 at 10:29 AM.
    johnnyuk likes this.
    06-11-18 10:08 AM
    Hi There,
    You are a glutton for punishment... there won't be new WinPhone devices (no "Surface Phone") - the closest thing would be MS adding telephony into a Surface tablet, but nothing you can carry in your pocket.

And you have needs that the Passport isn't going to be able to meet. Many of the apps you're looking for aren't going to work - and some that still do could break tomorrow.

Save your money and invest it in an Android or iOS phone. Clearly you're trying to avoid that... but that's where you're going to end up, and any money you spend along the way is going to be wasted.
    06-11-18 10:10 AM
    Passport SE is a stunning device. The limitations are mentioned by others. I think that you more or less can do what you describe, but maybe not exactly in the way you want. You have to be somewhat dedicated, interested in tweaking and find out things.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-18 10:12 AM
    Save your money and invest it in an Android or iOS phone. Clearly you're trying to avoid that... but that's where you're going to end up, and any money you spend along the way is going to be wasted.
    Yes i was trying to avoid Android or iOs.
    Before WindowsMobile i was a Palm user (Treo, Palm Pre, 2...)
    And there is nothing on the market for people like us, so i was considering BB at least for the security.
    06-11-18 10:34 AM
    I need a
    email (Gmail, Yahoo)
    Agenda (Gmail)
    internet
    More or less that all.
    Much like Windows Phone, BB10 is heading towards end of support so servers and even apps by third party developers (as they've moved on) are slowly shutting down or not working anymore. You can sideload Android apps but the runtime is stuck on 4.3 and it's not a 1:1 Android implementation so not everything will work.

Regarding your needs,

- The built in GPS app is online only, I believe the data is also licensed from another firm so it's possible the app could stop working at some point
    - The browser hasn't seen substantial updates in a few years so some sites refuse to work correctly
    - BB10 doesn't have a lot of choice for social media anymore, Twitter especially will make API changes this summer that could impact the few apps BB10 does have

Honestly, for 200 Euros you can get a good midrange Android device from Motorola or Nokia (or a Keyone if you can get it at that price). Your needs are basic but with services shutting down and apps suddenly breaking there's no reliable way to tell you how long the Passport will be viable for your needs.
    SolarBear28 likes this.
    06-11-18 10:47 AM
    Well there is still Navfree and maps.me offline maps. The browser got some update with the latest OS update and there are some social apps for instagram (igrann, inst10) and android fb lite, messenger lite works nicely.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-18 11:24 AM
    Yes i was trying to avoid Android or iOs.
    Before WindowsMobile i was a Palm user (Treo, Palm Pre, 2...)
    And there is nothing on the market for people like us, so i was considering BB at least for the security.
    Moving from WM to BB10 is almost moving backwards or sideways at best.
    If you want PKB, KEYone 3/32 or 4/64 are lower price choices with Key2 around the corner. BBAndroid has better security that Standard Android.
    06-11-18 11:36 AM
    Well there is still Navfree and maps.me offline maps. The browser got some update with the latest OS update and there are some social apps for instagram (igrann, inst10) and android fb lite, messenger lite works nicely.

Posted via CB10
    The browser updates were minor at best, certainly not substantial or enough to resolve any longstanding user reported issues.
    06-11-18 11:42 AM
    The browser updates were minor at best, certainly not substantial or enough to resolve any longstanding user reported issues.
    I agree, but it resolved some problems.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-18 12:04 PM
    I need a
    email (Gmail, Yahoo)
    Agenda (Gmail)
    internet
    More or less that all.
    Most of those Items can be easily accomplished on the Passport, but you may have trouble if you want to do them with apps. For example, OneNote does not run natively on BB10. If you want the OneNote app, you're better off with Android or iOS.

06-11-18 01:24 PM
95 123 ...