Been using z30 for a year and a half and recently switched to leap. Loving it so far.

Getting a decent price on a almost new passport. Should I get it? Never used a pkb before so I'm worried about my typing capabilities. When I played with the passport ay a store for about 5 minutes I couldn't type anything properly.

Are there any users who bought passport as their first pkb ?

Any input is appreciated

Posted via  Leap
    09-21-15 04:16 PM
    It was certainly not my first pkb but it definitely has the steepest learning curve. I was frustrated as well, it took me about two weeks to get with with flow, some people longer some people shorter.
    09-21-15 04:29 PM
    As an aside, why did you move from the Z30 to the Leap? Did the Z30 break? My understanding was that they are essentially the same device internally, with the Z30 having the better build quality. Is this not so?
    09-21-15 04:36 PM
    The Passport is my first phone with a PKB. Other than the form factor, adapting the the PKB was one of my biggest worries.
    However, I was able to adapt within a couple days and I'm pretty proficient now even though I've only had the phone for 5 days.

I think I was still faster on my Z30 though, but editing and using special characters is so much easier on the Passport.
    09-21-15 04:49 PM
    As an aside, why did you move from the Z30 to the Leap? Did the Z30 break? My understanding was that they are essentially the same device internally, with the Z30 having the better build quality. Is this not so?
    Yes. Z30 has better specs. I never had any problems with z30. I was just bored and wanted to get something new. Plus I like the look of leap way better than the z30

No issues with leap's performance..i quite like it

Posted via  Leap
    09-21-15 04:55 PM
    The Passport is my first phone with a PKB. Other than the form factor, adapting the the PKB was one of my biggest worries.
    However, I was able to adapt within a couple days and I'm pretty proficient now even though I've only had the phone for 5 days.

I think I was still faster on my Z30 though, but editing and using special characters is so much easier on the Passport.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm contemplating whether to get the passport or wait for the slider.

Posted via  Leap
    09-21-15 04:55 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I'm contemplating whether to get the passport or wait for the slider.

Posted via  Leap
    I wanted a Passport SE ever since it was released but then also found out about the slider so I decided to hold off. One of my main concerns was the PKB and the form factor. However, the form factor is now one of my favorite things about this device. I don't think I would ever want to go back to a 16:9 device. Reading feels much more natural.

It's definitely a large device but most people probably don't have too much trouble finding pockets that fit the phone.

If the slider comes out and is around the same price as the Passport, it'd be something that I'd consider but we know that's not going to happen.

Edit: The Passport does seem to have some build quality issues though so if you get the phone, keep an eye out for those problems. I will be returning my device since it self restarts.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-15 05:43 PM
    Passport is a perfect device to replace a laptop, tablet, and smartphone as the one device to handle all a person's needs. If you require signatures for work or whatever, buy a nice stylus to go with your Passport and sign pdf's or whatever. BlackBerry Passport and SE are seriously the best devices available right now in a mobile first world.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 11:51 PM
    Been a PKB user for about 14 years or so. Got my first BlackBerry (7100t I believe ) in 2001. I really don't like typing on glass. I was very excited to get my hands on a Passport after release, but no one had one I could touch. Finally bit the bullet and shelled out the cash on one of the shop blackberry sales.

As mentioned above, the learning curve is pretty steep, even for someone that loves the BlackBerry PKB. It takes a while to not be frustrated. Once you "get it", it is definitely the best mobile communication device you will ever have. Load in Cobalt's GPS hacks and you can use almost any Android app you need.

I love this device. Great screen, touch KB, programmable hot keys, great battery life and 10.3.2 is pretty damn good.

Passport. It will take you places.
    09-24-15 12:14 AM
    This appeared right under your thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1039822

. It's a sign, you should get it. The phone is awesome! Rocking mine since October 2nd and still going strong!

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 12:16 AM
    It will take awhile to get used to the keyboard

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 12:38 AM
    Yes. Z30 has better specs. I never had any problems with z30. I was just bored and wanted to get something new. Plus I like the look of leap way better than the z30

No issues with leap's performance..i quite like it

Posted via  Leap
    The Passport takes a week or two to get used too. After that, you should be fine.

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2639
    09-24-15 01:17 AM
    My first passport died I bought it the day it launched in canada. The keys were really stiff. The new one the keyboard is softer. Way better. They must have changed something during the production run.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 03:07 AM
    Passport (SE) is my first PKB smartphone and also first BlackBerry phone. So, I'm not tainted with past ideas/approaches on form factor and keyboard layout. I wanted to use it as a pocket computer, and I've quickly realized that the current design is not yet optimal for this purpose. I think the ideal Passport should look like this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1036430

Despite of the shortcomings the Passport is still the best smartphone to be used as pocket computer. To my best knowledge, it is the only choice in this category. So, if you think you're going to consider it seriously, then probably you really need it. Buy it.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    09-24-15 04:38 AM
    Having started pkb, then to vkb now back to pkb, your biggest adjustment is going to be the amount of pressure required to type. Takes a bit more control to hit the right key with pressure on a pkb. After a week or so, this won't feel so weird and you're off to the races.

Just need to train your muscle memory.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-15 01:24 PM
  16. Steve
    It does take some getting used to, but it is more accurate once you do.
    09-24-15 05:14 PM