Never had a PKB device in my life before. Long time iphone user, then switched to android for a while and now using the Z30 which i love !!
    Looked at the passport in the store for 5 mins when it got released and couldn't use the Physical keyboard at all. Now with all the rave reviews about the PP, I'm tempted.
    Should I take a plunge and buy one? What do you guys think about getting the passport when I have never used a keyboard device before? Will I get used to it like many reviews say?
    10-30-14 12:32 PM
    As someone who has used virtually every BlackBerry, iPhones, half a dozen Android and one WP...I can sypothize with your typing experience with the PP. I moved from the Z30 to the PP and was frustrated with the typing, years of muscle memory was killing me. By day 3 things came together and I also realized that I will never be as fast on the PP as I was on my Z30...I think you'll find the same . Btw, it was worth it!
    10-30-14 12:40 PM
    I view the typing experience on the Passport the same as I view BlackBerry Assistant. It may not be as fast as the others, but I think it is more accurate which, in the end, could save you time.
    I am not typing at lightning speeds but I also don't have to be super careful anymore about auto-correct making an embarrassing word substitution for me. The typing experience is extremely satisfying and I am still getting faster and faster. Swiping down for the hidden characters and remembering where all of them are mapped definitely has a learning curve to it. It is incredibly enjoyable though I just think that users need to be prepared for a bit of a learning curve and a longer adjustment period. It's well worth it though!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    10-30-14 12:47 PM
    Which "rave reviews".... ones by BlackBerry faithful - reviews by users don't mean much when most users are fans to begin with.

Most of the professional reviews (top five in google search of BlackBerry Passport Review) were far from "raving". And most all put the requirements of two handed use in the CON column. With scores of 6 &6.6 out of ten or 3 to 3.5 stars out of five from these reviewers, I'm not sure why so many here are thinking the Passport is a "hit".

If you love the Z30 and understand the BB10 ecosystem then I think you'll be fine with the Passport. I know for me switching back and forth between full touch and QWERTY did take time to get use to, but after a while I was fine.... just not sure the loses of one handed operation would be good. If I were you I'd spend some time in a store (if there is one) near you with the Passport.
    10-30-14 12:51 PM
    The thing is, with both BB10 devices and more specifically the Passport I have not found a single person who has not liked the devices.

I the worst criticism I've had is "it's a bit too big" and "I really like my Iphone"

Which are both valid criticisms.

Most users and lay people agree, it's really cool, and I really enjoy it. I would probably buy one.

Professional reviewers online are trashing it, but that really isn't the common opinion on the street.

I think just as the layperson on the street will just buy the next iPhone or whatever the rep tells them is new and good, they are pretty much saying "yeah, the new blackberries are cool"

That probably won't lead to sales, but opinion is slowly turning around... very slowly.

If sales staff on the floor of carrier stores and such actually pushed them as real alternatives instead of just dismissing them, then the sales might go up.

Via passport
    10-30-14 12:58 PM
    I came from a Z30 to the Passport and love the physical keyboard. It does take a bit to get use to but I find myself to be much more actuate with it. I don't mind using the Passport to answer long emails now where with the Z30 I would generally wait till I was back at a computer. I have also found the updated specs to run the os much faster than the Z30 making the overall experience better. Other than a brief spell with a 9900 and a Q10 the Passport is the first phone with a physical keyboard that I have used as my daily phone. The Passport is now the only phone I have.

Passport on AT&T
    10-30-14 02:02 PM
    It will take you some time to adjust to the physical keyboard, especially the size of the passports. That said, once you do, you'll love it. As mentioned, you likely will never be able to type as fast as you do on your Z30, but the accuracy will be better. I find when I'm multi-tasking (walking, watching TV, etc) I am much more accurate than I was previously.
    10-30-14 02:11 PM
    It's a different experience that may be rewarding. I am still on week one with my passport coming from a Z30. I find it hard to use exclusive with 1 hand from pulling it out my pocket to my news reader app and all of this doesn't require me using the keyboard. I find I need to be more careful because of the width of this thing. It would be great if it was 1 cm narrower. In terms of typing I haven't yet fully adapted to it. I am typing without using flicking gestures on purpose. I'm much better than day 1 at typing but I still have ways to go. The v and b with the space bar in between isn't a concern at all. I'm still adapting to the M key if anything. Do I still type faster on my Z30? Definitely. Do I expect it to always be that way. I'd say so. The fact I need to press down on a physical key slows me down.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 02:31 PM
    Buy it OP. No mobile like it and I came from a Z30. Love using keys again!!

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    10-30-14 02:35 PM
    Honestly, in your case, I would stick with the Z30.

I came from a Z30 and had a BB pkb before that so the transition was ok for me. (plus I love the "wide" format and trackpad feature)

The PP does look like jewellery, so if looks are the most important and wide format then get it....if not stick with the Z30.

BB10 is the best OS no matter which device you choose.
    10-30-14 04:14 PM
    When I got my z10 and is amazing virtual keyboard I thought I was done with physical keyboards.

I was wrong.

But the Passport really is a hybrid keyboard. Part physical, part virtual. I love the flicking and swiping to delete a word just like the virtual keyboard.

The clickity-clack of pressing the keys with your thumbs and banging out a message really is satisfying versus tapping on a screen. Of course it's all subjective so it really comes down to your personal preference.

If I were you I'd get your Passport at a physical store then try it out. You can return it within your allowed return period if you find it's not for you.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 04:45 PM
    Yes.

Disclaimer: your decision, your responsibility. I answered only because you asked. My answer may not work for you.

^^^^that's me trying to say nothing with lots of words... in response to a question should never be asked. :-D

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    10-30-14 05:07 PM
    Absolutely do not buy the phone. You'll hate it. Stay with your iPhone. Every time a passport is sold to an iPhone user, Steve Jobs rolls in his grave, Steve Cook weeps and the CEO of T-Mobile becomes an even bigger ******. Before you decide, I implore you to go to YouTube to the channel by itsmeJC and watch "Why I hate my BlackBerry Z10." JC has a Z30 now and hates it even more. If he had a Passport, he would certainly hate it most of all.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 05:36 PM