Just realized it's enabled, and I know it can suck battery. I've heard they should be disabled. Pros and cons of this?

Thanks

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-18-17 07:20 PM
    Yes. U must disable it if you dont use it

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 07:26 PM
    How would I use it, per se'?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-18-17 07:30 PM
    It's only using. 03% of battery... completely negligible it seems

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-18-17 07:48 PM
    No.

Why disable it?

I leave mine 'on' all the time, but location services are only actually running if an app requests your location.
    It's a pain in the butt to remember to turn it on when I use an app that needs it.

When I'm not using those apps, then I can see that location services are not being used and no battery is being drained

I don't understand the hype with everyone saying that you should have it turned off. Unless it is needed, it won't be used.
    The bb10 os is quite good at being efficient like that

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 08:44 PM
    It's only using. 03% of battery... completely negligible it seems

Posted via CB10 Passport
    On monitr like that but see what your pp made it so draining fast like before

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 09:16 PM
    On monitr like that but see what your pp made it so draining fast like before

Posted via CB10
    English please?

My apologies if English is not your first language, but umm ok???

Location services has used very little battery for me today. It's 9:30pm (unplugged since 6am) and location services has accounted for 1.5% of battery drain. There were a couple spikes up to 1% for a few minutes while I used an app that needed location. The rest of the day it hovered at zero.

Location services does not use battery unless it is told to turn on

All of you people who complain about it probably have some app running in the background that is constantly (unnecessarily) requesting your location.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 11:30 PM
    Just realized it's enabled, and I know it can suck battery. I've heard they should be disabled. Pros and cons of this?

Thanks

Posted via CB10 Passport
    The greatest benefit may be that apps which require your known location - think GPS navigation, Maps, searching for nearby businesses or activities, etc. - are able to accurately determine your location when needed. Another benefit is that you have a greater chance of recovering your device with BlackBerry Protect or similar app should you lose or misplace it.

The most significant con, in my opinion, is that if your device is stolen, lost, of misplaced then you've lost the opportunity to possibly retrieve it if your location services is off. You can't enable it remotely.

Yes, many recommend disabling location services because of the increased battery consumption. Personally, if I'm using a battery intensive app using location services (gps navigation or tracking) my phone is plugged in and charging or only used for a limited time anyway.

The convenience of leaving it on and security in knowing its on if lost or stolen wins the nod for me.
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    01-19-17 12:13 AM
    Agree with Big Ern.

Instead of turning off location services, go to application permissions, location, and deny it on the apps you don't want to have running the service.

Obviously your navigation apps should be allowed. If you doubt an app needs it, deny it and see how the app responds.
    FF22, BigAl_BB9900 and David Tyler like this.
    01-19-17 12:18 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry Protect uses location services. Otherwise someone else could turn it off to prevent the device being located.

Certainly BB Protect uses GPS, but probably runs independent of location services.
    01-19-17 12:25 AM
    I don't think BlackBerry Protect uses location services. Otherwise someone else could turn it off to prevent the device being located.

Certainly BB Protect uses GPS, but probably runs independent of location services.
    BlackBerry Protect absolutely utilizes location services. Directly from the BlackBerry Protect settings page: "You can locate your device using the BlackBerry Protect website if Location Services are turned on."

And yes, BlackBerry Protect does use GPS. You're right. But GPS uses location services
    01-19-17 12:50 AM
    I have also noticed that when no apps call location services, the battery life is very good. It is also confirmed by Device Monitor.
    Just make sure you don't give permission to any app to use your location if you don't really need that app knowing your location.
    I gave permission to only Maps and Google Maps and BBM

 BB10 can't die. It is healthy and young!
    01-19-17 01:23 AM
    BlackBerry Protect absolutely utilizes location services. Directly from the BlackBerry Protect settings page: "You can locate your device using the BlackBerry Protect website if Location Services are turned on."

And yes, BlackBerry Protect does use GPS. You're right. But GPS uses location services
    Then it's stupid. If someone steals your phone all they need do is turn off location services and you won't be able to find it on BB Protect.
    01-19-17 02:02 AM
    Then it's stupid. If someone steals your phone all they need do is turn off location services and you won't be able to find it on BB Protect.
    Perhaps. But one could argue that's it's equally as stupid to leave the device unlocked for someone to access those settings in the first place. After all, that is what device password is for. Security and convenience is always a trade-off.

If a device password isn't used then, hopefully a person would realize their device missing before location services is toggled. Either way, you can still lock or wipe the device rendering it useless to the thief.
    01-19-17 02:53 AM
    Thieves are stupid in general...

BUT having GPS turned on always is not recommended as the additional electromagnetic fields harm brains of humans and animals ... a recent study has shown, that tumor risk grows with constant use of GPS...

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 03:05 AM
    Perhaps. But one could argue that's it's equally as stupid to leave the device unlocked for someone to access those settings in the first place. After all, that is what device password is for. Security and convenience is always a trade-off.

If a device password isn't used then, hopefully a person would realize their device missing before location services is toggled. Either way, you can still lock or wipe the device rendering it useless to the thief.
    You're absolutely right. Must have location services on. Currently mine turned off. Also of note, none of the other features work with Network and Wifi off.

Should I disable location services?-bb-pro.png

But hey, this is all hypothetical. Lets not deluded ourselves. No self respecting thief in their right mind is going to steal a BlackBerry. The best anti-theft mechanism is the logo printed on the phone.
    semime and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    01-19-17 03:09 AM
    Thieves are stupid in general...

BUT having GPS turned on always is not recommended as the additional electromagnetic fields harm brains of humans and animals ... a recent study has shown, that tumor risk grows with constant use of GPS...

Posted via CB10
    Never underestimate your opponent. I'm sure those who steal personal devices for a living are quite savvy about their street value. Hence my early statement about stealing BlackBerries: no market for them.

GPS in your phone is only a receiver. It does not transmit.
    01-19-17 03:43 AM
    It is to my understanding that location services can be turned off, but apps that require them will still have access to them. I always hear people (not in the BlackBerry world though) gripe how much location services wipes out batter so I was surprised to see it hasn't even used. 05% of my battery life over 2 days

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-19-17 06:19 AM
    It is to my understanding that location services can be turned off, but apps that require them will still have access to them. I always hear people (not in the BlackBerry world though) gripe how much location services wipes out batter so I was surprised to see it hasn't even used. 05% of my battery life over 2 days

Posted via CB10 Passport
    On BB10 if location services is off the apps can't use it. Try it yourself. Even the baked in apps like maps and assistant ask for it to be turned on when you open them.
    David Tyler likes this.
    01-19-17 07:08 AM
    Interesting. BlackBerry even says on their website that apps can continue to use services when they need to??

Posted via CB10 Passport
    01-19-17 07:57 AM
    Interesting. BlackBerry even says on their website that apps can continue to use services when they need to??

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Exactly!
    Was stated ever since I had my Z10 in 2013, always keep this OFF in the settings but Maps and other GPS needed NAV app's still working without any problem.
    This setting turned to ON only allow your geolocations being used by service app's that want to track the device for some reasons like Foursquare and others to be able to flood you with adware offers and pizza shops regarding where you are walking close by or FB to show you how many of your so called never seen friends are my just around the corner.

Just keep it OFF, nothing to worry about your NAV app's keep working regardless.

Posted via - OS-10.3.++ device, it's all you need
    01-19-17 09:54 AM
    Mine don't. ATT Passport unlocked 10.3.2.2339

Should I disable location services?-img_20170119_160433.png
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-19-17 10:07 AM
    Have to apologise!
    Had another look at it... my previous statement was for "Traffic data Collection" OFF
    The main "Location services" need to be ON for Maps and NAV to work!
    Sorry

Nevertheless the BlackBerry statement further up in the post I was referring to is exact.

Posted via - OS-10.3.++ device, it's all you need
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-19-17 10:19 AM
    Depending on the apps installed, location services can be rather active.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    01-19-17 12:17 PM
    After my experience with iPhone, I keep any location services off. My work required me to move regularly from one place to another during any time and a day of the week. Have nothing to hide but after finding out that the damn thing knew where I suppose to go next and how long it takes me at the current traffic, it made me feel pretty sick! **** all, this is what I call a "tracking".
    85_305 likes this.
    01-19-17 02:28 PM
52 123