Do you think the price of the Passport will go down quickly?

I think with the iPhone flagship release at only 50 dollars more than the Passport they will have to get their price down to make some sells, like 499 or something, so maybe is kinda pointless to buy it right now when i can just wait for a little bit and get it for less, what do you say?
    09-25-14 07:06 PM
    That depends. Do you want to support BlackBerry or help bury the handset division so they never make another BlackBerry phone?

Posted via CB10
    Niro Sri and Oglon3r like this.
    09-25-14 07:08 PM
    You should it now that's on sale. You can save $100.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:09 PM
    I'm sure BlackBerry didn't build a ton of Passports, so they may not have to do big write downs like they did for the Z10 and Q10. Besides buying one subsidized by a carrier, I don't think you'll see a big drop in the off-contract price anytime soon.

Q10: SQN 100-5 v. 10.2.1.2102
    09-25-14 07:12 PM
    It depends if you're on a budget, or if you need a new phone or not. If you do then get it... but waiting 6 months to 1 year for the price to drop to save $100 or so isn't worth it to me but then again I am not on a budget myself.
    09-25-14 07:13 PM
    That depends. Do you want to support BlackBerry or help bury the handset division so they never make another BlackBerry phone?

Posted via CB10
    That's unfair dude. When it's possible I would like to have it cheaper too. I have learned my lesson when I bought my Z10. 600 USD at launch, and I bought it. Then I sold it for 150 USD one year later. Z30 was 750 USD at launch in Indonesia, and I bought it for less than 400 USD less than one year later. I totally understand what the OP wants. Don't tell us not supporting BlackBerry when we wait for the price to go cheaper. It's our money.
    09-25-14 07:13 PM
    I'm sure BlackBerry didn't build a ton of Passports, so they may not have to do big write downs like they did for the Z10 and Q10. Besides buying one subsidized by a carrier, I don't think you'll see a big drop in the off-contract price anytime soon.

Q10: SQN 100-5 v. 10.2.1.2102
    In the us, it will be going up to 699 on Oct 1st
    09-25-14 07:14 PM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Right now they (blackberry) can't keep up with the very strong demand... so i don't see any price drop anytime soon with this flagship model...

Posted via CB10
    bbschorsch likes this.
    09-25-14 07:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've supported them with a Z10, three Q10s, and a Z30. I'll let them fight their own fight and wait until the price goes down. To the OP, I think it's best to wait. The price will go down shortly.

Posted via CB10
    eldrover likes this.
    09-25-14 07:21 PM
    You should buy it right now or for sure before the end of the month. When I purchased mine on 9/24 for $599, ShopBlackberry said I was getting a $100 discount which sounded as if I caught a sale.
    09-25-14 07:23 PM
    I've supported them with a Z10, three Q10s, and a Z30. I'll let them fight their own fight and wait until the price goes down. To the OP, I think it's best to wait. The price will go down shortly.

Posted via CB10
    That's what i also think, specially with the iPhone being just 50 above it.

I think by the end of October it will be 499
    09-25-14 07:24 PM
    If i can get the 100 discount i will buy it right now
    09-25-14 07:25 PM
    With the demand and apparent short supply there will be no price drop anytime soon. Sale price going now is probably a good deal. Great phone by the way.
    09-25-14 07:28 PM
    Being the flagship phone, the price won't drop for a long time. Take advantage of the $100 before the price goes UP.
    09-25-14 07:37 PM
    If the OP is thinking of waiting a year, then I think it's fair to say that none--none--of the BB10 flagship devices released so far has held all but $100 of its value over that span of time. History would suggest that you could buy Passport for about $350 a year from today.

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1154 / T-Mobile USA
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    09-25-14 08:08 PM
    Everything is so relative, it is hard for one person to advise another about this. I paid $600 USD at launch for my Z10. When the price started going down I had that moment. But, then, I had to tell myself that I love this device and I was enjoying it the whole time instead of painfully waiting. So you have to figure in what the $$ difference means to you, how much you like the device you have now, and how much you want the Passport. Actually, I think with the Passport you also have to decide how much the attention it will bring means to you as well. As Kevin said, it is a real attention-getter.
    Vector-SS and andy957 like this.
    09-25-14 09:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Do you think that BlackBerry would pay my bills if I lost my job? By paying extra just to keep BlackBerry in business is just donating $100 to them for free. First off, my money will not keep them in business. To say that the price will not go down is ridiculous. I'm with you OP. I'll probably pick one up used in a few months for $300. I love BlackBerry. Will always use their phones no matter what. I don't love them enough to donate money to them for no other reason but to "keep them in business".

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 09:41 PM
    You know, I just bit the bullet and ordered with Amazon even though they are out of stock. I got a great deal considering I had $50 promotional credit and $62 Amex points so yeah to me it was worth getting it now because if the price goes up $100, I would have wasted my points and promotional discount. Anyways, shop blackberry says the passport will be in stock the 6th of Sept, do you guys think amazon will get a stock earlier or about the same time as shop blackberry? Thanks again.
    09-25-14 09:50 PM
    Oh boy, where to begin, but from the start.

That's unfair dude. When it's possible I would like to have it cheaper too. I have learned my lesson when I bought my Z10. 600 USD at launch, and I bought it. Then I sold it for 150 USD one year later. Z30 was 750 USD at launch in Indonesia, and I bought it for less than 400 USD less than one year later. I totally understand what the OP wants. Don't tell us not supporting BlackBerry when we wait for the price to go cheaper. It's our money.
    I bought the Q10 at release, roughly $700USD after taxes and haven't regretted it a single day. This device I use for for, so it pays for itself and then some.

In the US were even getting $100 off introductory price and you people are still complaining, isn't that enough. If you and the OP want to wait for discounts and fire sales and ensure that BlackBerry doesn't make any profits which just hammers more and more nails into the coffin of BlackBerry's handset division; then go ahead. Just don't complain later if they stop producing any hardware at all.

Posted via CB10
    Same as above, don't complain if they're not around later.

Do you think that BlackBerry would pay my bills if I lost my job? By paying extra just to keep BlackBerry in business is just donating $100 to them for free. First off, my money will not keep them in business. To say that the price will not go down is ridiculous. I'm with you OP. I'll probably pick one up used in a few months for $300. I love BlackBerry. Will always use their phones no matter what. I don't love them enough to donate money to them for no other reason but to "keep them in business".

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry, do you do provide anything to BlackBerry for them to pay you wages and in turn pay your bills? You know that when you buy the device that was just released and that also has recent high end specs from BlackBerry you're not just giving them money for nothing, right? And same as above, don't cry later if they stop producing devices.

In closing, if you can't afford it, don't buy it; if you can afford it, then you wouldn't be here complaining.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 10:02 PM
    Oh boy, where to begin, but from the start.

I bought the Q10 at release, roughly $700USD after taxes and haven't regretted it a single day. This device I use for for, so it pays for itself and then some.

In the US were even getting $100 off introductory price and you people are still complaining, isn't that enough. If you and the OP want to wait for discounts and fire sales and ensure that BlackBerry doesn't make any profits which just hammers more and more nails into the coffin of BlackBerry's handset division; then go ahead. Just don't complain later if they stop producing any hardware at all.

Same as above, don't complain if they're not around later.

I'm sorry, do you do provide anything to BlackBerry for them to pay you wages and in turn pay your bills? You know that when you buy the device that was just released and that also has recent high end specs from BlackBerry you're not just giving them money for nothing, right? And same as above, don't cry later if they stop producing devices.

In closing, if you can't afford it, don't buy it; if you can afford it, then you wouldn't be here complaining.

Posted via CB10
    Geez. You're a rude guy that's for sure. If you think we could not afford it, then you're very wrong. What's wrong with waiting for the price to drop a bit? That's what I've done when I've bought my ipad air too. I waited for the price to drop a bit. I don't think the company would suffer a lot from it. What's 100 dollars for them. I want BlackBerry to succeed too, but I won't throw my money at them. If I could buy it much cheaper in 6 months, I would. For those who wants to be the early adopter, please do, but don't judge us who wants to wait. What the hell is wrong with you. OP wants to ask for our opinions, not to be patronized or judged because he wants to wait for a price drop before buying it. I'm sure OP can afford it if he wants.
    09-26-14 05:35 AM
    Listen guys, I understand your desire to support the company, and I think that's great, but you can't ask everyone to take what they see as a hit in their own wallets to support a company......any company.

My own plans are to wait until AT&T gets the phone, as they're already my carrier and I'm due an upgrade. I'd be surprised if the price of the phone drops before AT&T starts carrying it. That sounds like it's a few months away. If you can wait for that length of time, then you're probably better off waiting.

If you're expecting drastic price drops in the next month or so, I think you're wasting your time. I doubt they over-produced this phone. It's more likely that they're going to run out of stock and have to do another production run before demand winds down. That will take time.
    09-26-14 05:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    How about a friendly bet? You define what shortly means. Whoever loses apologizes by starting a new thread.

You are mistaking the screw up under TH on inventory build up. Hasn't happened to Z3 and won't happen to PP.

It will drop normally. So yeah, if you want to wait for 6 months sure wait.

Above was what I was going to post before 8am quarterly con call.

I guess hard to take that bet now that BlackBerry have announced a number already.

Learn this lesson, and learn it well my friends. The days of big discounts within months of a release are a thing of the past.

They will manage the inventory very well. And you can see the Z3 impact as well. The gross margin increased to 47.5%.

What this means is they will take less sales for higher profit margin and for protecting the brand.

And as a shareholder that makes me happy.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 08:10 AM
    Ok buying it later or now is up to the individual.. no point sulking over the price of passport whether it's just 599 499 or 399.. geez..

For those that want to wait good for them.. cause when it's 699 and could not wait out any longer it's their own fault..

And if the price drops 499 or 450.. good for them for being patient..

Late adopters.. if you can try to buy the passport 2 years from now.. hopefully it will be 199 by then..

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 08:52 AM
    I would be very happy too if the price doesn't drop. What I hate is that, I bought at full price, and the price drops very quickly. If they can keep the price up, for example only down 100 USD in a year, then it would be fantastic. Unlike the earlier models, which dropped 3-400 USD in less than a year.
    09-26-14 11:11 AM
    I can afford it's but usually hold off, prices usually drop after a fee months. And bugs or reiterations of the phones are usually made.

Surely the first buyers of the first Z10s will agree...

I've a new Q10 I received less than a month ago as a replacement unit, cant even find a buyer for more than 100 Euros.....
    09-26-14 01:13 PM
49 12