It remains an excellent conversation starter, though, but so does the silver KeyTwo
    There, fixed it
    07-19-18 12:13 PM
    I just got mine a few weeks ago and I love it. For what I use it for, it's perfect. Mind you, I don't use facebook or any social media.

Issues are as everyone’s been saying:

Native browser doesn't have full support for HTML5.
    Android runtime is horribly outdated.

So everything I used to do on my android I have to tinker a workaround, which 99.9% of users won't want to do. It also hurts to know BlackBerry won't be supporting the thing in the coming years, whatever that means.

That being said, if Apple produced a phone like this, everybody would **** their pants to pay $1000 for the thing, and it's four years old.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-18 05:09 PM
    if Apple produced a phone like this, everybody would **** their pants to pay $1000 for the thing, and it's four years old.

Posted via CB10
    Well, yeah, Apple is Apple. That means they could manufacture a cube of glass, slap their logo on it, call it revolutionary, and sell it for $299.
    They even had the arrogance to sell their book of "history of the iPhone" for ridiculous amount when the 7/7+ came out
    07-20-18 02:51 AM
    I
    That being said, if Apple produced a phone like this, everybody would **** their pants to pay $1000 for the thing, and it's four years old.
    Well, if the Passport had four years of iOS support ahead of it (the avg. support you get w/ new iPhones) it'd still be a valuable phone to own. As it happens we have barely a year and a half of "support" for dying BB10.
    07-22-18 01:11 AM
    Blackberry passport has been a rock for me over the years, but the comments are correct over the next few years we really don't know what if anything on the passport will be working, I'm still living in hope that it's keeps kicking for another five years of so lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-18 03:23 AM
    Blackberry passport has been a rock for me over the years, but the comments are correct over the next few years we really don't know what if anything on the passport will be working, I'm still living in hope that it's keeps kicking for another five years of so lol.

Posted via CB10
    Lol 5 more years? Even if it does (for calls/sms/e-mail, the batteries will be so worn out by then
    07-22-18 05:25 AM
    my passport has a better life than my priv and that's way younger lol, long last bb10......
    07-22-18 11:24 AM
    Well, if the Passport had four years of iOS support ahead of it (the avg. support you get w/ new iPhones) it'd still be a valuable phone to own. As it happens we have barely a year and a half of "support" for dying BB10.
    That’s also if you consider the last two years “supported”...
    07-22-18 01:34 PM
    Absolutely you should buy the blackberry passport as the nice and awesome design device in the world .

Posted via CB10
    I'm buying one for 75 dollars Canadian I owned it before and I want it for my collection. It's the most unique looking phone ever made. When you have a passport it stands out more than any of the keyones.
    07-22-18 03:02 PM
    Yes I have bought passport. Great phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-18 12:26 PM
    My spouse only uses a smartphone for phone calls and occasionally, browsing the Internet (seriously, no texts or emails). He has already complained about our Home device (a Q10) being slow or incapable of rendering web pages he wants to review.

I have considered a Passport or Classic for his (our) needs, but am worried (for him) about the Internet access.

I have a DTEK50 that isn't really being used and was considering a transition for him (I have used a Priv and KeyOne), but know he likes the keyboard and is used to BB10.

Would be curious how others think. He needs a small form factor, phone calls and some Internet browsing.

Perhaps I should start a separate post. Feel free to comment.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-18 08:55 PM
    My spouse only uses a smartphone for phone calls and occasionally, browsing the Internet (seriously, no texts or emails). He has already complained about our Home device (a Q10) being slow or incapable of rendering web pages he wants to review.

I have considered a Passport or Classic for his (our) needs, but am worried (for him) about the Internet access.

I have a DTEK50 that isn't really being used and was considering a transition for him (I have used a Priv and KeyOne), but know he likes the keyboard and is used to BB10.

Would be curious how others think. He needs a small form factor, phone calls and some Internet browsing.

Perhaps I should start a separate post. Feel free to comment.

Posted via CB10

The Passport is the best BlackBerry 10 device for browsing the internet, no doubt. It had some great internal specs for its time, a nice big screen that rendered sites like a desktop would.

For calls and some light surfing on the net, the Passport should be fine for the foreseeable future as BlackBerry has announced that once the 2020 clock starts, support will officially end but some functionality will continue.

The issue with the browser as of July 2018 is that it hasn't had a serious update in some time, some functionality won't work and it will get worse over time. Some security conscience sites aren't really supporting this old of a browser, recently the email money transfers that I get from my Canadian bank (BMO) aren't being supported either via app or browser.

For basic items I think he will be alright but if your looking for the full web experience, no strings attached, you are better suited looking at a more modern device such as the DTEK series, Priv or newer K Series phones.

Either way, good luck!

Posted via CB10
    NightFire likes this.
    07-24-18 01:23 AM
    The Passport is the best BlackBerry 10 device for browsing the internet, no doubt. It had some great internal specs for its time, a nice big screen that rendered sites like a desktop would.

For calls and some light surfing on the net, the Passport should be fine for the foreseeable future as BlackBerry has announced that once the 2020 clock starts, support will officially end but some functionality will continue.

The issue with the browser as of July 2018 is that it hasn't had a serious update in some time, some functionality won't work and it will get worse over time. Some security conscience sites aren't really supporting this old of a browser, recently the email money transfers that I get from my Canadian bank (BMO) aren't being supported either via app or browser.

For basic items I think he will be alright but if your looking for the full web experience, no strings attached, you are better suited looking at a more modern device such as the DTEK series, Priv or newer K Series phones.

Either way, good luck!

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for your very thorough and thoughtful reply. He has decided to give the DTEK50 a whirl, as I am not using it. Granted, the battery life isn't the best, but he won't be using it so much that it'll be an issue, I think. It is a little large for his taste, but he doesn't see the point in spending money on older tech when we have a newer device not being used.

Thank you again. Sounds like the Passport has some of the same issues as my Q10. A shame, really. I grew to really appreciate BB10.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-18 04:55 PM
    Last year I bought a Passport and this was a big mistake because there aren't technical support and after 6 months I must replace the rear camera due to a broke autofocus, when I use Google playstore it became really hot and drain out the battery in 1 hour (even the restart and reboot do not solve this issue), a lot of app do not work anymore (.apk), Bb travel is dead, and so other app from blackberry.
    For these reasons i'm going to put the passport in its box and change to ios or an android phone because for my needs it is useless.
    It's sad but this is the story of the passport today.

If you want a phone just to call and for SMS as a 20$ phone you can go but I do not think this is the case

Posted via CB10
    07-27-18 08:36 AM
    Last year I bought a Passport and this was a big mistake because there aren't technical support and after 6 months I must replace the rear camera due to a broke autofocus, when I use Google playstore it became really hot and drain out the battery in 1 hour (even the restart and reboot do not solve this issue), a lot of app do not work anymore (.apk), Bb travel is dead, and so other app from blackberry.
    For these reasons i'm going to put the passport in its box and change to ios or an android phone because for my needs it is useless.
    It's sad but this is the story of the passport today.

If you want a phone just to call and for SMS as a 20$ phone you can go but I do not think this is the case

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to hear of all the problems. If you want to stay with BB, I would suggest the KEYone 4/64 edition as best current successor immediately and Key2 if you can wait for 90 days for all the bugs and kinks to be ironed out.
    07-27-18 06:07 PM
    Is there any inbuilt app for podcast??
    Will that be available after 2020?
    bPod is not quite inbuilt but is easily accessible. The .bar has been publicly released so it will be available and function after 2020.
    07-27-18 06:14 PM
    Am looking for a device that can increase my productivity time..
    A device where i don't wanna install whatsapp or fb apps or games..
    A device which can sync with laptop and other phones effortlessly for file transfering.
    Web browsing..
    Otg ..
    I may use it to view presentations and create presentation..
    I want a device which can work flawless for the next 3-4 yrs..
    Battery life is very important...
    Raajneesh, since this is a four-month old thread I'm pretty sure you've made your decision, but if you haven't, may I ask what you mean by syncing with the laptop and other phone effortlessly for file transferring? Do you just want to copy files back and forth easily from the laptop or are you looking for some other form of data sync?

OTG is supported on the device.

As others have pointed out, web browsing can be problematic with the built-in browser; however, there is an alternative Android-based browser known as BEOL which seems to work well.

Presentations should be no problem with Documents To Go.

Battery is decent; I'd say with general usage you can get through the day on one charge.

As far as "working flawlessly;" again as others have pointed out, Blackberry is ceasing all support for BB10 at the end of 2019, which may have unpredictable effects. But since it's possible to set up a device without a Blackberry ID, I believe you should be able to continue to use any service that's not directly dependent on Blackberry after that point. The uses you've mentioned are not so dependent, but you should be aware of the possible limitations.

Long story short: I'd say if you are trying to avoid Android and iOS this is worth considering. If you are wanting something that is officially supported by the manufacturer for three to four years you'd have to get something else. But for your needs a Passport should be in the running.
    07-27-18 06:25 PM
  18. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    if you like, buy it one

 Passport RED Edition 10.3.32163
    07-29-18 03:33 AM
    if you like, buy it one

Wow that's confusing, in post #41 you were a definite No?

Posted via CB10 using my P9982 running 10.3.3.3216
    07-29-18 04:29 AM
    No

Posted via CB10
    ?

Posted via CB10 using my P9982 running 10.3.3.3216
    07-29-18 04:30 AM
  21. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    No. Try Keytwo....

Posted via CB10
    07-30-18 05:15 PM
  22. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    what about blackberry gost?blackberry envolv X or keytwo lite?

08-02-18 08:48 AM
    I used Passport for a very long time, sold it few months back and bought a KEYᵒⁿᵉ BE. That change still haunts me, I mean you can't compare passport / BB10 fluency with anything else. Even today I have a passport in my Amazon Cart "but" when you evaluate all the things its not a good idea to buy any BB10 device at this point in 2018. I mean lack of app support is a huge thing and a device with no OS support is just impossible to handle. If you buy it you will be spending a hell lot of time tweaking around how to make things work on BB10 device. That being said, still Passport was the best device ever manufactured. Good Luck...
    I fully agree.

The people who think that an android phone slapped with a blackberry logo will ever replace BlackBerry's own OS are just as delusional as those who think BB10 will return.

Android will never be B10 no matter how many 'blackberry apps' they produce.

If you want to stay with a pkb then going with what blackberry offers, which is android, is the only option.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    08-02-18 06:26 PM
    I fully agree.

The people who think that an android phone slapped with a blackberry logo will ever replace BlackBerry's own OS are just as delusional as those who think BB10 will return.

Android will never be B10 no matter how many 'blackberry apps' they produce.

If you want to stay with a pkb then going with what blackberry offers, which is android, is the only option.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    What, specifically, can BB10 do that BBAndroid can’t do ?
    08-02-18 09:30 PM
    What, specifically, can BB10 do that BBAndroid can’t do ?
    Well, it can have "System" drain a c***load of battery for no reason, while on Android it's a bit easier to pinpoint the issue.

As for swipe to go home, Android P will bring that over.

Then there's notification profiles which is nice, as well as LED color cycling, which Android can't do.
    08-03-18 06:34 AM
97 1234