Passport was a great phone, but there are a couple of problems with what you are looking for in a device:

1. Syncing to your laptop may be a problem with BB10.
    2. No one knows if you will be able to use a BB10 device after January 1, 2020.
    3. OG was produced in 2014 and SE was produced in early 2015. Even if 1 and 2 weren't true, there is no guarantee that the non-replaceable battery would last another 3-4 years.

Given these potential issues, it would seem that a Passport would not meet your requirements in 2018.
    USB connection still works fine on Windows 10. Don't know about Linux or Mac.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-18 02:28 AM
    anyone know when the trade in and trade up programs are rolling out for the bb classic/passport?
    Highly suggest you privately sell your old devices (ebay etc...) than depend on any trade up program in general
    04-18-18 05:54 AM
    anyone know when the trade in and trade up programs are rolling out for the bb classic/passport?
    At this point, sell your devices on Swappa, LetGo, eBay or some other used site. The value of BB10 hardware will begin to rapidly decline as ancillary services lose functionality and 12/31/2019 rapidly approaches. You're waiting for a program that makes less sense with every day of delay.
    04-18-18 07:11 AM
    I really wish the issue of what functionality of BlackBerry 10 would be officially known.

I understand the app store and other services will stop working but for me, I want to know if I will be able to boot up my phone and use it for Web browsing ( weak browsing by 2020) calls, texts and emails.

I have a few BlackBerry 10 devices in excellent condition and I would like to use them for streaming music via wifi at the gym, back up emergency device and a 2 phone for when I travel abroad using a local SIM.

I am fully aware that the BlackBerry 10 experience at that point will be very weak but as a basic device for calls, texts, emails and Web surfing, that is all I would need.

I know I have a while to worry about this but the whole thing would be a lot easier to understand if we knew 100%

Posted via CB10
    They will always have a wifi radio, as long as it is physically ok, you can use that to the extent that you know how.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    04-19-18 02:18 AM
    Yep all those things will work great except some browsing.
    Modern applications are not efficient and will just slow you're device down. The onboard Calendar is pretty powerful, saving a shortcut to a contact and/or with smarttags application "not just for NFC" can save tons of time.

BB settings has shared file storage over wifi, just remember your details.
    Box is integrated with the BB10 operating system, can share fairly easily with that. I checked if that was going to stop similar to Dropbox but I didnt find anything and the last article on the subject was from 2017 so.. idk, I am still using it.

Documents to go is robust for editing text but you will have to change the file properties everytime. It also shares with your other applications well.
    I have corrupted it before on a Z10 but after a factory reset it was fine.

CodeMirror will work ok with a minimal setup and is already in the devices webkit.
    Just use data:text/plain, protocol to make your first text file.

If you need to run a server on the device you can do that also but I recomend checking BB world for a terminal app and use python.

I have used a passport as upstream to 2 other BlackBerries with a USB hub so that should work as long as you're hardware is ok.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-18 03:08 AM

Yep all those things will work great except some browsing. Though it might not be the best choice.

However..
    Modern applications are not efficient and will just slow you're device down. The onboard Calendar is pretty powerful, saving a shortcut to a contact and/or with smarttags application "not just for NFC" can save tons of time.

BB settings has shared file storage over wifi, just remember your details.
    Box is integrated with the BB10 operating system, can share fairly easily with that. I checked if that was going to stop similar to Dropbox but I didnt find anything and the last article on the subject was from 2017 so.. idk, I am still using it.

Documents to go is robust for editing text but you will have to change the file properties everytime. It also shares with your other applications well.
    I have corrupted it before on a Z10 but after a factory reset it was fine.

CodeMirror will work ok with a minimal setup and is already in the devices webkit.
    Just use data:text/plain, protocol to make your first text file.

If you need to run a server on the device you can do that also but I recomend checking BB world for a terminal app and use python.

I have used a passport as upstream to 2 other BlackBerries with a USB hub so that should work as long as you're hardware is ok.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    04-19-18 03:10 AM
    I have had my PP SE since Oct. '16 and I effing love this device. Still just stare at it sometimes, mesmerized by its sheer elegance.

With that said, I would answer NO in a heartbeat because it is not a good feeling for ME (my opinion anyways) constantly reading about things that are going away on this device. I wouldn't want that for someone else. I am training myself to only use it for emails, call/text, and browsing, all of which still work great. The browser still works for me. Some sites are buggy, but still work if you use desktop mode. Other than that, if you want a device for ONLY those reasons, then you might be okay for at least another year.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    05-07-18 01:34 PM
    As much as it pains me to say this, a Passport for your stated needs won't do. You will spend lots of time looking for work-arounds and solving small issues.
    The hardware will last 4-5 years but also keep in mind BB has only guaranteed support untill 2019ish. Doesn't mean they will stop supporting after, but no guarantees at this point. Blackberry Blend is also not supported any more so a desktop link is ify. Sure, files transfers via a cable still work but, well..its 2018.

If you want the BB experience the only real supported way now is via Android. KeyOne, priv, dtek, motion, auoroa, ..

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Haivu1945; 05-11-18 at 07:09 AM.
    05-11-18 04:25 AM
    I have to agree to a point. For 95%% of us who just want out dang mobile to work without too much trouble, it's time to let go

But I see a future for the 5% in a BB10 hobbiest/mad scientist world a la the WebOS and Meego communities. It will be even more difficult though if BB doesn't open source BB10.

We'll see..

Posted via CB10
    05-11-18 04:41 AM
    I paid £199 for my passport new at the beginning of May. I look at it this way. I would sooner have 20 months using this device than any other and hopefully in 20 months if my device fails I hope there is a Blackberry android on the market that ticks all the boxes for me.

Posted via CB10
    Haivu1945 likes this.
    05-11-18 04:48 AM
    Pardon the oversimplification and cheekiness but
    Think of the Passport as a very well-crafted and a once expensive CD player.

Yeah, it works. Pretty well as a matter of fact. But very limited today and it's only gonna get worse.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Haivu1945; 05-11-18 at 07:06 AM.
    05-11-18 04:49 AM
    BlackBerry is going to start shutting down services over the next two years. After December 31st, 2019, the device will be crippled in unpredictable ways.
    I don't believe BB said they will start shutting down BB10 after 2019. What they said is that they will only guarantee support for BB10 until then. That's different than saying the service will stop.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-18 07:03 AM
    I don't believe BB will start shutting down BB10 after 2019. What they said is that they will only guarantee support for BB10 until then. That's different than saying the service will stop.

Posted via CB10
    It’s already shutting down services. It will do nothing for BB10 after 12/31/2019. Unless some big customer demands a custom patch and pays for the update.

We don’t know if the devices will keep operating without support. We do know support will end. BB will be three years removed from the hardware business at that point.
    Haivu1945 likes this.
    05-11-18 07:14 AM
    It’s already shutting down services. It will do nothing for BB10 after 12/31/2019. Unless some big customer demands a custom patch and pays for the update.

We don’t know if the devices will keep operating without support. We do know support will end. BB will be three years removed from the hardware business at that point.
    Well, I'm a skeptical person by nature but I still don't think core OS components will be necessarily shut down Dec 31st. I think we'll Be limping along with BB email and SMS machines.

What's been shut down so far in regards to core functionality.? BB World doesn't count and niether does Blend. 3rd party stuf is going away (connect to Dropbox, Evernote,ect) but: these aren't necessary.

Send from my Blackberry Passport somewhere in space.
    Mpenny likes this.
    05-11-18 07:22 AM
    Starting January 1st, 2020, BB10 devices will:

At best: OK for texts, calls, e-mail, calendar, tasks, notes, music player

At worst: A paperweight because BB shut down BBID and BB protect servers. That means if your device is still running, you can't reboot, can't reload the OS, can't even run out of battery... not pretty

But by then you won't care because BBMo will have put out quality PKB devices worth moving to (if KEYone or KEYtwo aren't already your thing)
    05-11-18 07:27 AM
  16. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    No

Posted via CB10
    05-11-18 11:06 AM
    No do not buy a passport it would be a total waste of money

Posted via CB10
    What's wrong with wasting money.

Send from my Blackberry Passport somewhere in space.
    05-11-18 10:34 PM
    This alone would probably disqualify the Passport and any BB10 device. BlackBerry's desktop software hasn't been updated in years and some users are having problems getting it to work on newer versions of Windows and Mac.

As other users have mentioned, various BlackBerry services are being shut down so it's possible the device might not even last you a year. You should look into a BB Android device (like the Keyone).
    Not at all, they still have WiFi sharing through the settings you do not need to download a thing. Windows just run the address, linux mount -t. Actually there are tons of ways to get files back and forth with them and less restrictive in !some respects than with android

Posted via CB10
    05-12-18 04:10 AM
    Not at all, they still have WiFi sharing through the settings you do not need to download a thing. Windows just run the address, linux mount -t. Actually there are tons of ways to get files back and forth with them and less restrictive in !some respects than with android

Posted via CB10
    I've found WiFi sharing to be unreliable, transfers are either slow or BB10 has difficulty connecting to the other device. Media sharing is much better but I don't think that's what OP is looking for.
    05-12-18 10:08 AM
    I used Passport for a very long time, sold it few months back and bought a KEYᵒⁿᵉ BE. That change still haunts me, I mean you can't compare passport / BB10 fluency with anything else. Even today I have a passport in my Amazon Cart "but" when you evaluate all the things its not a good idea to buy any BB10 device at this point in 2018. I mean lack of app support is a huge thing and a device with no OS support is just impossible to handle. If you buy it you will be spending a hell lot of time tweaking around how to make things work on BB10 device. That being said, still Passport was the best device ever manufactured. Good Luck...
    07-12-18 11:46 AM
    Why not? It's classy, durable, long battery life, unique and able to perform tasks such as email, messaging and calls well. Just having one instantly sets you apart from the crowd (which in my opinion is cool by the way).

Posted via CB10
    07-14-18 10:37 PM
    I wouldn't buy a Passport anymore. I love mine, but I am probably going to put it back in its box soon.

We're talking four-year-old hardware, and BB10 OS support is dead. Forget app support. Even the native web browser has trouble loading website layouts sometimes.

If you just want a phone w/ keyboard for calls, texts, and emails, you could consider the Passport, but even then I don't see it as a practical option. It remains an excellent conversation starter, though, but so does the KeyTwo.
    07-18-18 05:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    You keep posting stuff like this, and even a thread on using QR tags, but it's all developer talk. Nothing normal folks can understand.

I'm a recently retired IT guy (desktop support and some networking), and I cannot figure out what you're saying.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    07-18-18 01:55 PM
    You keep posting stuff like this, and even a thread on using QR tags, but it's all developer talk. Nothing normal folks can understand.

I'm a recently retired IT guy (desktop support and some networking), and I cannot figure out what you're saying.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    Ah, sorry ppeters914. I will add though, thread on QR had nothing to do with QR just what information the application could hold and give the option to launch with, such as a contact you email often, or a website you visit a lot.

Shame it does not have a backup feature.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-18 07:30 PM
    The BB Passport will be great for what you want to do until Jan 1, 2020, when BB10 support apparently ends and we will know if restarting our Passports will result in the OS no longer booting. Until then, you can get a Passport for pretty cheap and enjoy the BB10 experience while you can.

But otherwise go to the Android KEYone. You can use Android however you want - just put Office 365 and all kinds of productive apps on it to turn it into a useful work assistant. The battery is pretty good, as big as the Passport's.
    I can't imagine why restarting would be a problem, as the device doesn't need to connect to BlackBerry servers to boot or run. It might not be possible to restore to factory settings or wipe the device, if BlackBerry stops validating the BBID.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-18-18 07:47 PM
97 1234