Hello Crackberry users!

I'm looking to purchase a passport to replace my work phone which is a S8.

I would like to know if buying a passport for only Emails, Waze (any satnav app), excel and word would be a good idea as I can't stand touch screen keyboard devices.

Currently use Blackberry key2 now as my personal.

Thanks all!
    archdenn likes this.
    08-08-19 10:37 AM
    Hello Crackberry users!

I would like to know if buying a passport for only Emails, Waze (any satnav app), excel and word would be a good idea as I can't stand touch screen keyboard devices.

Thanks all!
    I use my Passport as my daily driver, it should work fine for what you want it to do..
    08-08-19 11:05 AM
    Hello Crackberry users!

Thanks all!
    MS Office apps are not supported, and Waze is extremely clunky if you can get it to work at all.

There are alternative apps that will do the job though.
    08-08-19 11:34 AM
    MS Office apps are not supported, and Waze is extremely clunky if you can get it to work at all.

There are alternative apps that will do the job though.
    Any alternatives?
    08-08-19 11:36 AM
    Any alternatives?
    You can use something like Kingsoft Office, and the mobile gmaps site (google.com/maps).

This office suite is pretty old, and BlackBerry World shuts down forever in December, so if you ever have to wipe your device, you might never get it back. Be warned.
    08-08-19 11:43 AM
    The Passport is a 5 year old phone running a non-common operating system that is End-Of-Life, and has an Android Runtime that was never "complete" and in any case is forever stuck at Android 4.3, while more and more Android apps have either 4.4 or 5 as the minimum supported version (and this is only going to continue to increase as time goes by).

As I mentioned in another thread, buying a phone like this for even simple daily driver use is a lot like buying a 1960s British sportscar (in America, where such cars are relatively uncommon) that's been sitting in a field for 20 years. It's not impossible to repair and restore it to the point where you can get some use out of it, but that's really a job for someone with a lot of expertise, experience, and a willingness to invest a whole lot of time and effort for a car that will never drive as well as a cheap, reliable 90's Miata.

There are folks here who can help you get some things working, or suggest work-arounds, and, it's not impossible, but this is a phone you're going to have to spend a lot of time keeping running, as opposed to just using it like a smartphone. If you aren't prepared to do that, or prepared to have an app or service suddenly and randomly stop working (such as when a service cuts off server-side access to older clients), then you might want to rethink if it's the phone for you.
    08-08-19 11:45 AM
    If it is inexpensive, and it should be, then buy it.

Coolest phone ever made, but too big for me. I rarely use it out of the house. I even think my keyone work phone is too big.

Just don't expect everything to work on it, but you have the key2 for things that dont. Alternatively use your key2 for work and the passport for personal.
    Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    08-08-19 05:04 PM
    If your KEY2 is a dual sim..... I'd just add the work SIM to it.

Passport's are cheap.... buy it and try it, if it doesn't work sell it for no loss..
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 08-09-19 at 07:55 AM.
    08-09-19 07:05 AM
    Hello Crackberry users!

Thanks all!
    Don't throw good money after bad. MS apps won't work. The Word/Excel apps built into the phone may not properly read newer XLS / Doc files depending on how complex they are (macros, graphs). Android apps run poorly unless you can find older APKs optimized for Android 4.3 or lower

Save your money for a proper Android or iOS phone.
    08-09-19 07:26 AM
    You can use something like Kingsoft Office, and the mobile gmaps site (google.com/maps).

This office suite is pretty old, and BlackBerry World shuts down forever in December, so if you ever have to wipe your device, you might never get it back. Be warned.
    @conite you mean if I factory reset my device after 31 December 2019 i can't even use it for normal tasks like calling, texting, browsing web? Besides I think they extended the support even after 2019. I am also buying a SE as my secondary phone, I do have a KEY² as a daily driver. Do you think it's a bad idea?
    08-09-19 03:11 PM
    @conite you mean if I factory reset my device after 31 December 2019 i can't even use it for normal tasks like calling, texting, browsing web? Besides I think they extended the support even after 2019. I am also buying a SE as my secondary phone, I do have a KEY² as a daily driver. Do you think it's a bad idea?
    No, just that you will no longer be able to download apps, as BlackBerry World will be no more.
    Last edited by conite; 08-10-19 at 01:08 AM.
    08-09-19 04:55 PM
    Hello Crackberry users!

Thanks all!
    Hey bdavies,

I'd say go for it. You may run into some sites that may not load in the native browser, but there are alternative browsers available (BEOL Browser's a good one) that will help if needed.

Blackberry Maps is still working well for navigation, or there are native/third-party alternatives if Waze doesn't work well for you. (Waze itself is a little hit or miss on BB10.)

Excel and Word files are supported via the built-in Docs To Go suite, so no need for additional apps of any kind.

Blackberry World will indeed shut down at the end of December, but all the apps discussed in this post are independent of Blackberry World, so no worries there.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other specific questions about apps or services--happy to test if you'd like.
    08-10-19 12:56 AM
    Hey akshay,

Please rest assured that you will still be able to use your device normally after 31 December 2019 even if you factory reset it. The only items you may or may not be able to get are some native apps from Blackberry World. All apps for basic tasks such as calling, texting, web browsing, etc. are built in to autoloaders which are publicly available and not going anywhere. Additionally, you'll be able to back up your phone before resetting it using Blackberry Link, Sachesi, or Darcy's Blackberry Tools, all of which are available and will continue to work normally into 2020.

I'd say go for it on the SE!
    08-10-19 12:58 AM
    And may I ask, what's wrong with classic sports cars, be it British, or Italian, ( which is my everlasting love really)? A classic car can offer a lo more excitement than any current car. Same with BB10!

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    08-23-19 12:56 PM
    And may I ask, what's wrong with classic sports cars, be it British, or Italian, ( which is my everlasting love really)? A classic car can offer a lo more excitement than any current car. Same with BB10!

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree! True BlackBerry's like the Passport are very much like vintage sports cars, they are less user friendly, require skill and planning and when you get them working the way you want, the joy of accomplishment is palatable. I too have an Italian sports car and sedan. I am no stranger to adversity and welcome the challenge!

Posted with my Passport
    saint300 likes this.
    08-23-19 01:10 PM
    Hey akshay,

Please rest assured that you will still be able to use your device normally after 31 December 2019 even if you factory reset it. The only items you may or may not be able to get are some native apps from Blackberry World. All apps for basic tasks such as calling, texting, web browsing, etc. are built in to autoloaders which are publicly available and not going anywhere. Additionally, you'll be able to back up your phone before resetting it using Blackberry Link, Sachesi, or Darcy's Blackberry Tools, all of which are available and will continue to work normally into 2020.

I'd say go for it on the SE!
    Hi, is there any way to import KEY² password keeper data in to my passport? I have tried exporting the data from KEY² but passport can't read / recognize that. Tried content transfer app too but that's not working either.
    08-24-19 08:59 AM
    Totally agree! True BlackBerry's like the Passport are very much like vintage sports cars, they are less user friendly, require skill and planning and when you get them working the way you want, the joy of accomplishment is palatable. I too have an Italian sports car and sedan. I am no stranger to adversity and welcome the challenge!

Posted with my Passport
    I knew it!!! Crusader03 is tooling around in a Classic ride like James Bond going through border crossings just showing his Passport until he was finally denied entry telling him it wasn’t enough. He needed a Key2 and.....
    08-24-19 02:01 PM
    I knew it!!! Crusader03 is tooling around in a Classic ride like James Bond going through border crossings just showing his Passport until he was finally denied entry telling him it wasn’t enough. He needed a Key2 and.....
    Hahaha! I'm good, still have my K2!

Posted with my Passport
    08-24-19 02:12 PM
    I'm also planning to buy Passport as I have never used such a great device which was talked most here.

These inputs are really helping me to make a decision.

Thanks all!
    08-25-19 06:01 AM
    I'm also planning to buy Passport as I have never used such a great device which was talked most here.

These inputs are really helping me to make a decision.

Thanks all!
    Certain Passport models don’t play nicely on certain mobile carriers in your region. Jio, Reliance?? Used to see constant repeated complaints here in the forum threads.

On that note, good luck....
    08-25-19 07:44 AM
    Certain Passport models don’t play nicely on certain mobile carriers in your region. Jio, Reliance?? Used to see constant repeated complaints here in the forum threads.

On that note, good luck....
    Not just the Passport for Jio, the entire network is off limits for BB10.
    08-25-19 09:04 AM
    While I am not a tech guy, from what I know so far, there's no problems regarding regions with Passport. So, go ahead and treat yourself to an awesome device, and OS as well.
    08-25-19 11:46 AM
    While I am not a tech guy, from what I know so far, there's no problems regarding regions with Passport. So, go ahead and treat yourself to an awesome device, and OS as well.
    As thurask explained above, the problem was all BB10 devices are not compatible with Jio and there are different models of Passport for different carriers and regions. So, two different issues that can be overcome as long as you make sure which device you purchase.
    08-25-19 12:01 PM
    Definitely get a Passport. I tried a Key2 for a while after my Passport broke but wound up giving it to my kid. I found another PP on ebay for cheap and now I'm loving life again. I don't really care about apps since all they seem to do is track you and harvest your info to make other people money. I have an android tablet if I need anything app related. All I want in a phone is email, text and a good camera. BB maps is still rocking for me but I also have a Garmin. You can pick up high end Garmins for cheap now and they come with lifetime maps.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-19 02:13 PM
    As thurask explained above, the problem was all BB10 devices are not compatible with Jio and there are different models of Passport for different carriers and regions. So, two different issues that can be overcome as long as you make sure which device you purchase.
    Hmmm, from what I have read here, the Classic and Passport came equipped with all bands. That would mean access to networks worldwide from 2G to LTE. Did I misunderstand something?

Posted with my Passport
    08-25-19 04:41 PM
87 123 ...