So, I just bought a Priv and have been relatively pleased with it. But, I am now curious about BB10 devices, like the Passport and perhaps, Classic. I know BB10 isn't Android or iOS, there's apps available on those platforms that aren't available on BB10. But I've also read you can sideload the Passport (not sure about Classic) with the Play Store. That said, I Had to ask:

Those of you who've sideloaded Play store, do you find the compatibility of apps to be acceptable? I.e. do they have "quirks" because they're running on BB10, or emulated, w/e you wanna call it? I really don't use a lot of apps to be honest, but there are a few I'd *really* need, like the Signal Messenger app, maybe a banking app or two, 1Password, and a handful of others. No games or anything that'd be intensive.

With the rumored devices coming out from Blackberry which may or may not have a physical keyboard, and the good pricing of the Passports on eBay, it has piqued my interest. Aside from my above question, is there anything I should know, perhaps have overlooked? It's been a long time since I used an actual BB OS. Thanks folks
    09-17-16 11:05 PM
    So, I just bought a Priv and have been relatively pleased with it. But, I am now curious about BB10 devices, like the Passport and perhaps, Classic. I know BB10 isn't Android or iOS, there's apps available on those platforms that aren't available on BB10. But I've also read you can sideload the Passport (not sure about Classic) with the Play Store. That said, I Had to ask:

Those of you who've sideloaded Play store, do you find the compatibility of apps to be acceptable? I.e. do they have "quirks" because they're running on BB10, or emulated, w/e you wanna call it? I really don't use a lot of apps to be honest, but there are a few I'd *really* need, like the Signal Messenger app, maybe a banking app or two, 1Password, and a handful of others. No games or anything that'd be intensive.

With the rumored devices coming out from Blackberry which may or may not have a physical keyboard, and the good pricing of the Passports on eBay, it has piqued my interest. Aside from my above question, is there anything I should know, perhaps have overlooked? It's been a long time since I used an actual BB OS. Thanks folks
    If you have the PRIV, going BB10 at this point would be going backwards. Since moving to PRIV I haven't used my Passport and it WAS a great phone. Over time, sideloaded apps lost more and more functionality.

Posted via CB10
    tbonecopper and FF22 like this.
    09-17-16 11:25 PM
    BB10 is a excellent OS, however don't expect any significant updates now that BlackBerry is mainly focused on their Android harware and software.

Many Android apps are a bit slower to load compared to native apps, but otherwise work as expected. The more an app depends on Google Services, the less compatible it is going to be, also the BlackBerry Android Runtime is for apps than can run under Android 4.3.

The Classic runs the same 10.3.2 version of BB10 as the Passport and other models.
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-17-16 11:27 PM
    I had a Passport with Google Play side loaded and it wasn't great. The phone itself I loved, and BB10 was great, except for the fact that it is neglected.... buy a Priv or DTek instead, it is the future of BlackBerry like it or not

Posted via CB10
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-17-16 11:31 PM

If you're thinking about using the PP or Classic as your daily drive, don't get one. Now, if you're willing to hold on to your Priv for instance and switch phones every other week, why not. The PP or Classic will not probably do the trick for you on a daily basis but they're great phones to use, esp. the PP SE. And you can get great deals these days considering BB has been dumb enough to ditch its OS.
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-18-16 12:17 AM
    As always: it depends. The Passport is a great email and communication machine. Personally I like it more than the classic because of the touch sensitive keyboard. If your main purpose is email and bbm get one and be happy (I'm writing this on a pp).

However, there are a lot of cons you must weight and depending on your personal needs:
    1. Play store works but not all apps. Some of them need Google services, some of them have issues with the 1:1 screen. And of course they are slower than native apps. So if you are an "app junkie" bb10 is not for you.
    2. Do not expect much support from BlackBerry. The platform is dead! You should hope, as I do, that BlackBerry will not remove android runtime in a later update to make this phone more secure...
    3. If you are comfortable with the size, get a pp. The classic is much slower and IMHO not worth the price. Otherwise you should also consider a q10 which has similar specs, but is not build of such noble material.
    4. Be aware that WhatsApp ends bb10 support on Dec 31. If you have a lot of friends in WA, this could be a no-go. Don't believe that people are going to switch to bbm if they are not already there.
    5. W.r.t. messengers:
    Threema and Telegramm is also working on bb10. No matter where you download (Google or Amazon) .

I personally would never buy a BlackBerry Android device. Never ever! Instead I will stay with my pp until it dies (or BlackBerry kills it) and then move on to Samsung. Don't get me wrong, I own a PlayBook a z10 a q10 and a pp, and personality feel disappointed by BlackBerry. It starts with the PlayBook lie continues with the kill of bb10 support and ends with the fact that bbm video chat is not possible between bb10 and Android (wtf!).
    09-18-16 01:28 AM
    As always: it depends. The Passport is a great email and communication machine. Personally I like it more than the classic because of the touch sensitive keyboard. If your main purpose is email and bbm get one and be happy (I'm writing this on a pp).

However, there are a lot of cons you must weight and depending on your personal needs:
    1. Play store works but not all apps. Some of them need Google services, some of them have issues with the 1:1 screen. And of course they are slower than native apps. So if you are an "app junkie" bb10 is not for you.
    2. Do not expect much support from BlackBerry. The platform is dead! You should hope, as I do, that BlackBerry will not remove android runtime in a later update to make this phone more secure...
    3. If you are comfortable with the size, get a pp. The classic is much slower and IMHO not worth the price. Otherwise you should also consider a q10 which has similar specs, but is not build of such noble material.
    4. Be aware that WhatsApp ends bb10 support on Dec 31. If you have a lot of friends in WA, this could be a no-go. Don't believe that people are going to switch to bbm if they are not already there.
    5. W.r.t. messengers:
    Threema and Telegramm is also working on bb10. No matter where you download (Google or Amazon) .

I personally would never buy a BlackBerry Android device. Never ever! Instead I will stay with my pp until it dies (or BlackBerry kills it) and then move on to Samsung. Don't get me wrong, I own a PlayBook a z10 a q10 and a pp, and personality feel disappointed by BlackBerry. It starts with the PlayBook lie continues with the kill of bb10 support and ends with the fact that bbm video chat is not possible between bb10 and Android (wtf!).
    Thanks for the candid answer. I'll look at the Q10. Wouldn't say I am an app junkie, but on my Priv, I have the following:

Microsoft Groove, Nest Thermostat/Camera, TiVo, Volvo On Call
    Bank of America, Chase, Discover, Paypal, Cap1 Wallet, local credit union
    Fandango, Fedex, Messenger, Office Lens, Opentable, Rainmachine (controls my sprinklers), Roku, Skype, Twitter, Uber, UPS, VLC, Word, Yelp
    Amazon, Best Buy, eBay, Home Depot, Lowes, Target
    Airbnb, Expedia, Hotel Tonight, Kayak, Priceline, Silvercar, Worldmate Gold

It would be nice to have may of those on BB10 but I don't see it being a reality. My messenger app of choice is Signal, and I won't go without it.

If you're thinking about using the PP or Classic as your daily drive, don't get one. Now, if you're willing to hold on to your Priv for instance and switch phones every other week, why not. The PP or Classic will not probably do the trick for you on a daily basis but they're great phones to use, esp. the PP SE. And you can get great deals these days considering BB has been dumb enough to ditch its OS.
    BB10 is a excellent OS, however don't expect any significant updates now that BlackBerry is mainly focused on their Android harware and software.

Many Android apps are a bit slower to load compared to native apps, but otherwise work as expected. The more an app depends on Google Services, the less compatible it is going to be, also the BlackBerry Android Runtime is for apps than can run under Android 4.3.

The Classic runs the same 10.3.2 version of BB10 as the Passport and other models.
    Yes, it is a Dead Platform for them, unfortunately, it seems so nice. Ah well...

If you have the PRIV, going BB10 at this point would be going backwards. Since moving to PRIV I haven't used my Passport and it WAS a great phone. Over time, sideloaded apps lost more and more functionality.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I can see how it would be like going backwards for sure.

Thanks everyone for the wide range of opinions here, and information. Unless I can get one cheap, I probably won't be buying a BB10 device at the moment.
    09-18-16 04:24 AM
    There will be nothing new on BB10. It is the walking dead, it will work but there isn't anything that will be added to it, including apps.
    09-18-16 06:12 AM
    It's true that the app situation is not particularly brilliant however, if you want the most fluid and least resource draining OS then grab a BB10 device. And if you opt for the Passport you will have what is undoubtedly the most original & unique looking device available today. The big square screen is simply brilliant. I even do all my Youtube watching on my Passport SE.

Posted via CB10
    bigjman and anon(7915689) like this.
    09-18-16 08:37 AM
    If the few hundred dollars that a BB10 devices will cost means nothing... you spend that much on any hobby, then go for it.

If this new "purchase" has to last you for three years and will be your only option for a day to day device, forget it.
    tbonecopper and andy957 like this.
    09-19-16 01:33 PM
    If the few hundred dollars that a BB10 devices will cost means nothing... you spend that much on any hobby, then go for it.

If this new "purchase" has to last you for three years and will be your only option for a day to day device, forget it.
    Best answer, ha. I switched over to DTEK50 but keep picking up my poor Passport. Have it on WIFI by the bed for checking email, reddit, browsing and a portable little e-reader. Love using the pkb for replying to emails.
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-19-16 02:53 PM
    I would say YES. Granted, there is still much to be desired with the android load times, but NOTHING out there beats BLEND. I work on Web Design almost all day, and having my Passport connected to my screen and running Blend is huge! I keep one monitor hooked up displaying my hub the entire time. PERFECT! I just wish we hadn't lost IPAD Blend support.
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-19-16 03:46 PM
    With BB10, what you see is what you get, nothing more on apps or services. You can port android apps and sometimes they work correctly.
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-19-16 04:01 PM

Gotta agree with the poster up thread... this is the perfect quote.

I was (and still am) a DIE HARD BB10 fan. Own every BB10 device except for the Z5 and Leap but have since moved on to the PRIV and DTEK50 (DTEK50 is my current dd). Nothing can beat BB10 when it comes to being an email and BBM machine, but alas, the app situation is dwindling.

I had the Play store sideloaded and everything was gravy. Until Lollipop and Marshmallow came along. One by one my Android apps stopped working. Who needs apps when the BlackBerry browser will do right? That's what I used to say. Well now the BB10 browser is starting to show its age as it struggles to load my go to sites.

So if a couple of C - notes aren't a big deal for you, I'd say go and buy one so that you can experience what an incredible productivity machine a BB10 device can be. Peek and flow, the hub, attachment management.. It's just the absolute best. However if your lifestyle requires you to have day-to-day interaction with apps, BB10 is not the solution.

*sigh* what I wouldn't give for some miracle to happen where BlackBerry re-confirms their commitment to BB10 and they somehow close the app gap (i would even be okay if they made a true partnership agreement with Google to have true Play Store compatibility... whatever that would look like).
    09-19-16 04:22 PM
    09-19-16 05:28 PM
    Regardless of what BlackBerry has to say about BB10, the Android Runtime is outdated and will never be updated, there hasn't been any significant features added to the OS for more than a year, there is next to no native app development and the number of significant apps dropping support for BB10 continues to increase. These have been and are becoming issues for many BB10 users, but for others they are not.
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-19-16 07:21 PM
    I just sold my iphone 6+s and grabbed a passport and I don't regret it one bit. I use it as my daily driver and it's awesome. I don't play games on my phone and I've made shortcuts on my homescreen for all of my Web Apps like social media, youtube, banking, etc. I also use this to post on my blog while on the go. I dig it.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 07:23 PM
    I just sold my iphone 6+s and grabbed a passport and I don't regret it one bit. I use it as my daily driver and it's awesome. I don't play games on my phone and I've made shortcuts on my homescreen for all of my Web Apps like social media, youtube, banking, etc. I also use this to post on my blog while on the go. I dig it.

Posted via CB10
    I 2nd this. I am overjoyed with the Passport and came from the iPhone 6. The Passport is just better made and a thrill to use. I'm so much more productive thanks to it.

Posted via CB10
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-19-16 08:36 PM
    I came from the iPhone 6s, then s7 edge, then Priv all in a span of a few months. Now I'm on the Passport SE and it's my favorite of all four phones.

Each day I find something new that makes me say, man I wish I had known about BBOS 10 a long time ago.

I say, do your research on the apps that do and don't work and the ones you can't live without. If you find that all the apps you want have bbos10 counterparts or your can live with tinkering using Cobalts methods then the Passport is the phone for you.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 09:53 PM
    I came from the iPhone 6s, then s7 edge, then Priv all in a span of a few months. Now I'm on the Passport SE and it's my favorite of all four phones.

Each day I find something new that makes me say, man I wish I had known about BBOS 10 a long time ago.

Posted via CB10
    Long time BlackBerry user chiming in here. I still have my OG Passport. It is probably the best communication / messaging device I have ever owned. My 9900 was close, but the Passport was phenomenonal. I also had Cobalt's Play Store loaded.

I moved to a Priv when we upgraded our mail server protocol at work. Could not the certificates needed to stick and had continual issues. The availability of apps started to become an issue around July of this year.

I really miss my Passport and BB10. It is / was such a clean OS. Android often takes three actions to do the same thing I could do with one on BB10. If you have the cash to spare, pick up a Passport. It's worth it to have a fantastic piece of hardware in your hands.

Posted from my reluctantly purchased Priv
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-19-16 10:17 PM
    I started my BlackBerry journey with the Classic, Curve, Bold, Q5 then now with Passport. The reason is simple: QWERTY keyboard. Call, text, emails and whats app are the fundamental stuffs with my phone so I enjoyed and enjoying till max now. I never gave a damn about iphone or android phones. But, with whatsapp ending its support for BB10, im in real dilemma. Whatsapp is a must for job and daily routine for me. And BlackBerry is not giving any assurance to us about it. BlackBerry's new Android phones are without keyboard and Priv is simply too expensive here in Malaysia. Im anxiously waiting for 1st January 2017. I hope BlackBerry wont push me to abandon it and jump to apple or samsung. I really hope so.

Posted via CB10
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-20-16 12:39 AM
    I started my BlackBerry journey with the Classic, Curve, Bold, Q5 then now with Passport. The reason is simple: QWERTY keyboard. Call, text, emails and whats app are the fundamental stuffs with my phone so I enjoyed and enjoying till max now. I never gave a damn about iphone or android phones. But, with whatsapp ending its support for BB10, im in real dilemma. Whatsapp is a must for job and daily routine for me. And BlackBerry is not giving any assurance to us about it. BlackBerry's new Android phones are without keyboard and Priv is simply too expensive here in Malaysia. Im anxiously waiting for 1st January 2017. I hope BlackBerry wont push me to abandon it and jump to apple or samsung. I really hope so.

Posted via CB10
    Don't worry, we're expecting a blackberry smartphone with physical keyboard in February.
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-20-16 05:18 AM
    I recently got the white Passport and am currently using as my daily driver. Still have my 6s Plus but I've been trying to see how I'd do to just BlackBerry OS 10.

As long as you know what you're getting yourself into, you'll be satisfied with the product and experience. I won't repeat what others have said about the lack of apps since it's a well known fact, but let me highlight some of my experience in the past 2 weeks.

I started out trying to download all my most used apps through either Amazon App Store or Cobalt's Play Store. Some apps ran sluggishly and some wouldn't work. My phone started lagging and I noticed that the battery wasn't as legendary as the general consensus. What'd I do? I wipe the phone clean and downloaded only from BBW and whatever else I normally use I save a shortcut through the browser. Phone is smooth as butter and battery is amazing just like everyone said. I also read that Android aren't completely removed despite uninstalling so beware.

I find myself more productive because I'm not distracted by all the apps on iOS. On top of that I visit more of the websites through the phone I normally would save till I get home because it's just a better experience on the wide screen.

One thing I found was the lack of POI's in BlackBerry Maps even though it claims to be pulling data from Yelp, but surprisingly, Foursquare solved that issue. Foursquare has been able to find everything I've thrown at it thus far and if you click "Go" it'll redirect you to BlackBerry Maps automatically. Better integration than expected.

What you'll have to keep in mind about app support is that not only are there not going to be new apps in the future, but many apps I found one year ago are removed from BBW like TuneIn, Kindle, Yelp, etc. If you MUST have Snapchat than no can do. But admittedly with no Whatsapp support soon, that's a nail in the coffin.

Overall, the OS simply cuts out the BS and noise other OS' try to shove down our throats. BlackBerry OS 10 was intended for a more mature audience and it's a shame support is dwindling.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-16 09:59 AM
    ONe thing about using your browser, some google sites refuse to recognize it.
    andy957 likes this.
    09-20-16 04:06 PM
    Passport is very fast in my experience with all the BlackBerry 10 phones. The big thing is having to get used to the combo physical and virtual keyboards, as well as the strange placement of the space bar.

P.S. shouldn't this thread be in the general discussion forum? Just asking.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    tbonecopper likes this.
    09-20-16 09:25 PM
32 12