I noticed from some of the app review screen shots today that some apps may be more usable in a rectangular format like on the Z30 or Z10.

Given the gigantic screen real estate on the Passport, do you think BlackBerry should give users the option to choose how to display each app, like how we can customize notifications? I'm currently on the Z30, but will be getting a Passport when it hits Hong Kong and would love the option to choose what works best for each app.

Edit: If you've got rectangular apps on the Passport, you'll also have an opportunity or option to display something else at the same time in the empty space on the side (a simplified hub? Evernote? to-do list? Remember app?). The productivity gains would be crazy - imagine a Word document in the main window, and a to-do list like Wunderlist in the margin, or a browser + Evernote for research. Now that's something you're not going to see on an iPhone or a typical Android device.

What do you think?
    Last edited by jiksun; 08-17-14 at 12:27 AM.
    08-16-14 11:09 PM
    I think the top-swipe menu for Android apps that currently just has a button to hide the bottom bar should have buttons for display modes, so it can letterbox the app in portrait or landscape view.

I've also dreamed about split screen possibilities (split vertical for two portrait app views, or split horizontal for two landscape app views). I haven't heard of that though so it seems unlikely. Although maybe someone can make an app that uses the invocation framework or whatever so it would be a shell that launches other apps inside of it in that manner.
    step07 and spike12 like this.
    08-17-14 01:29 AM
    Given the gigantic screen real estate on the Passport, do you think BlackBerry should give users the option to choose how to display each app, like how we can customize notifications? I'm currently on the Z30, but will be getting a Passport when it hits Hong Kong and would love the option to choose what works best for each app.

Edit: If you've got rectangular apps on the Passport, you'll also have an opportunity or option to display something else at the same time in the empty space on the side (a simplified hub? Evernote? to-do list? Remember app?). The productivity gains would be crazy - imagine a Word document in the main window, and a to-do list like Wunderlist in the margin, or a browser + Evernote for research. Now that's something you're not going to see on an iPhone or a typical Android device.

What do you think?
    This would be a nightmare for software developers and BlackBerry, more options means more work on the UI front, and ultimately the hardware's resources will be more constrained by this. Would you trade sluggishness for more display options?

Still, I'd like to know how BlackBerry is going to cope with the Pasport's display, which is the most unique kind of display from all of its smartphones line-up.
    08-17-14 01:43 AM
    I've also dreamed about split screen possibilities (split vertical for two portrait app views, or split horizontal for two landscape app views). I haven't heard of that though so it seems unlikely. Although maybe someone can make an app that uses the invocation framework or whatever so it would be a shell that launches other apps inside of it in that manner.
    Split screen like in multitasking? That's most unlikely to come true. Today's smartphones and tablets have workaround the problems of the need for power hungry processors, huge memory, and battery limitation with one app per view. We haven't got to the time where the hardwares are capable enough (and yet still small enough) to do that, but we're heading there.
    08-17-14 01:59 AM
    Would love to be able to manipulate or have two apps open at the same time on the passport. It might look awkward and not even be possible altogether though.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 03:29 AM
    The more I think about it (hardware and technical limitations aside - as raised by Joe Clean) the more I'm convinced optional portrait / landscape views and split screen on the Passport would be THE 'killer app'. I mean come on, the design of the screen begs for it. This kind of thing wouldn't be possible on an iPhone or Android even if you wanted it to be. Here's a super quick mock up of Wunderlist + Docs To Go.

Should the BlackBerry Passport have an option to display alternate aspect ratios for apps?-screen-shot-2014-08-17-5.06.jpg

I'd buy the Passport in a heart beat just for that feature!
    08-17-14 04:29 AM
    The more I think about it (hardware and technical limitations aside - as raised by Joe Clean) the more I'm convinced optional portrait / landscape views and split screen on the Passport would be THE 'killer app'. I mean come on, the design of the screen begs for it. This kind of thing wouldn't be possible on an iPhone or Android even if you wanted it to be. Here's a super quick mock up of Wunderlist + Docs To Go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen-Shot-2014-08-17-at-5.06.jpg 
Views:	1916 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	291282

It will be awesome if we'll can run 2 apps in same time

posted via my Q10SQN100-3/10.3.0.xxx (don't ask)
    jiksun likes this.
    08-17-14 05:43 AM
    Yes, I'll buy.

I want
    1. rectangular screen space for the app
    2. text-only to-do list in the screen remainder area.

Does everyone here realize that pressing "cancel" in two different BlackBerry apps produces two drastically different results. (!!).

In BlackBerry Remember, "cancel" deletes all the changes you've added since the late save.

In BlackBerry email, "cancel" is the only way to get to save.

Fix this too!

Posted via CB10
    jiksun likes this.
    08-17-14 06:39 AM
    Yeah, since BlackBerry pretty much owns the 1:1 display market now (I mean can you imagine Apple or Samsung launching devices square displays??) the split screen implementation would only be meaningfully doable on a BlackBerry. Definitely a huge differentiator for enterprise users in my book!
    BoldMaverick likes this.
    08-17-14 09:45 AM
    It will be awesome if we'll can run 2 apps in same time
    Yeh but that would mean "true" multitasking at the user level rather than the OS level, something already possible on Android.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 10:21 AM
    Would love to be able to manipulate or have two apps open at the same time on the passport. It might look awkward and not even be possible altogether though.

Posted via CB10
    Many websites work as well or better than apps. I'm hoping I can use Websplitter and run two side by side. With the extra screen real estate it could be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 02:52 PM
    I just don't see this working.... sorry.
    Split screen multitasking doesn't even work well on 10.1" and 8" Samsung galaxy tabs, the interface is cluttered and the apps get in the way of each other. I had this feature on my Note 2 and it was pretty pointless, the only use was watching a video while browsing the web as everything else was completely impractical and quicker just to switch running applications. Due to the speed at which BlackBerry 10 allows you to jump between apps anyway I don't think we need this feature.
    The only time I feel the layout needs to change is for android compatibility reasons as android apps generally scale well but every now and again, it would be useful to be able to letterbox for when apps aren't optimised for the 1:1 screen ratio.
    Sorry if it seems like I'm a bit of a pessimist but having used this feature and only finding it has a place on laptops and desktops (for me at least) I'd rather BlackBerry use their development time on other things.

Posted via CB10
    vpblaze likes this.
    08-17-14 06:12 PM
    Agree should have option to display android apps square or rectangle. 2 apps in portrait would be cool, maybe later

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    jiksun likes this.
    08-17-14 07:14 PM
    I agree that it would be a cool feature, but I don't think it's practical on a handheld device. The overhead for the operating system would be enormous. I just don't think you can ask that much of a handheld device. Even true multitasking is a big deal, and for me it's of dubious practical use. I just don't need my handheld to do everything a laptop can do, nor do I want to make the sacrifices in battery life that would be necessary.
    08-17-14 07:21 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen-Shot-2014-08-17-at-5.06.jpg 
Views:	1916 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	291282

I agree it would be the killer feature, not an app because split-screen would be done better if it's a native capability from the system (OS), and I would also buy the Passport right away if it has such feature, but I don't think the hardware, or in this case is the Passport's hardware, is capable enough yet.

PS: I love the mock-up image you made there, fantastic.
    jiksun likes this.
    08-19-14 07:59 AM
    I agree that it would be a cool feature, but I don't think it's practical on a handheld device. The overhead for the operating system would be enormous. I just don't think you can ask that much of a handheld device. Even true multitasking is a big deal, and for me it's of dubious practical use. I just don't need my handheld to do everything a laptop can do, nor do I want to make the sacrifices in battery life that would be necessary.
    That last line there is a spot on.

The more I think about it, it's all about the battery. If just engineers & scientists found a way to prolong battery life much-much better than what we have today, then I bet we'll be seeing more and more revolutionary smartphones and smart-wearables soon. In the end, whether you or I like it or not, it (smartphones and smart-wearables) will be pushed to do anything and everything. It's inevitable.

But then it beg for another question: what if, let's say the Passport able to do that (split-screen & multitasking) now, no sluggishness or lag, but at the cost of its battery life, will you buy it?
    jiksun likes this.
    08-19-14 08:12 AM
    The split screen is very capable on the passports specs. Just needs to be implemented.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:15 PM
    I'm pretty sure many of you, if given the opportunity, would load Windows on your Passports and use them as true Pocket PCs.
    08-20-14 07:41 PM
    I'm pretty sure many of you, if given the opportunity, would load Windows on your Passports and use them as true Pocket PCs.
    And Boom.!
    There you go, an option to load different OS, that would be a real something.
    08-20-14 10:31 PM