I got a Passport on Ebay for 180. It still had the plastic film on the front and back and game in a new box and I believe I'm the first owner/user.

I have a few issues with it:

1. Inability to reprogram the convenience key and inability to remove that stupid voice assistant from the convenience key.

2. My keyboard shortcuts only work in the home screen. WTF!!!

Am I missing something. Why don't the keyboard shortcuts work all the time? Are they supposed to work universally? Mine only work from the home screen. What's the point of having shortcuts that only work from the home screen? DUMB!

3. There's not an easy way to adjust the brightness. They should add an android style sliding brightness control to the main drop-down menu. Or, they should allow a long push on spacebar along with sliding your finger on the keyboard to increase and decrease the brightness or something like that. It's stupid tedious to adjust the brightness
    4. The keyboard track pad doesn't work all the time. I'm having to go up on the screen about 50% of the time.

5. The settings menu should drop down with one finger instead of two.

6. My battery only lasts 6-12 hours and charges extremely quickly - too quickly. I think my battery is bad.

7. The keyboard should have an alt key and also have numbers/symbols.

8. The spacebar can't be used as a shortcut.

9. Inability to turn off the keyboard backlight.

If anyone knows how to fix any of the above issues, please let me know. Thanks
    11-15-17 01:58 PM
    For
    3. Add Brightness to the Quick Menu settings
    5. One finger works
    6. Let the battery cycle a few times it will improve in a few days

Posted via CB10
    Qorax and ezubeBB2013 like this.
    11-15-17 02:07 PM
    Re 3: Yes I have brightness on the quick menu but you still have to tap "brightness" and then a new window pops open which is where you actually adjust it. Am I missing something? Thanks

Re 5: One finger works only in the home screen, not within apps.

Re 6: Okay. Thank you. I just ordered a new battery though. Maybe i should cancel it.
    11-15-17 02:25 PM
    1. The "assistant" key is also a play/pause key for the Music app. It can be de-activated (I believe) using a 3rd party app such as the excellent "doo" app in BBW. I think its under Button Shortcuts/Play/Long Press. There may be other apps in BBW that will do this function as well.

5. The reason that you have to use 2 finger swipe from a page/app etc other than the desktop is that several/most apps have a settings/about function within the app. If your phone settings were activated with one finger, that would affect the function of the app. The 2 finger swipe was instituted specifically to get around this problem and, I believe, was a function that was requested specifically by BB10 users.

8. No, but the spacebar makes a great shutter button for the camera. There are PLENTY of other buttons for shortcuts IMO. I have a hard time remembering them all
    Last edited by brookie229; 11-15-17 at 03:27 PM.
    CHUNGHO888 and Qorax like this.
    11-15-17 03:03 PM
    Re 3: Yes I have brightness on the quick menu but you still have to tap "brightness" and then a new window pops open which is where you actually adjust it. Am I missing something? Thanks
    When you tap on the brightness, tap on the "sun" brightness icon and underneath should pop up the slider for brightness without popping up a window.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-17 05:37 PM
    1. Inability to reprogram the convenience key and inability to remove that stupid voice assistant from the convenience key.
    2. My keyboard shortcuts only work in the home screen. WTF!!!
    Am I missing something. Why don't the keyboard shortcuts work all the time? Are they supposed to work universally? Mine only work from the home screen. What's the point of having shortcuts that only work from the home screen? DUMB!
    3. There's not an easy way to adjust the brightness. They should add an android style sliding brightness control to the main drop-down menu. Or, they should allow a long push on spacebar along with sliding your finger on the keyboard to increase and decrease the brightness or something like that. It's stupid tedious to adjust the brightness.
    4. The keyboard track pad doesn't work all the time. I'm having to go up on the screen about 50% of the time.
    5. The settings menu should drop down with one finger instead of two.
    6. My battery only lasts 6-12 hours and charges extremely quickly - too quickly. I think my battery is bad.
    7. The keyboard should have an alt key and also have numbers/symbols.
    8. The spacebar can't be used as a shortcut.
    9. Inability to turn off the keyboard backlight.

If anyone knows how to fix any of the above issues, please let me know. Thanks
    1 - The convenience key (mute or play/pause button) cannot be reprogrammed to another function.

2 - Yep the keyboard shortcuts only work on the homescreen.

4 - The keyboard works when it wants. Sometimes I have to touch the screen before I can get the keyboard to work.

5 - Using 2 fingers instead of 1 is a feature to make sure the user doesn't accidently open up the settings drop down menu.

6 - BlackBerry batteries should be settled in within a couple a days to a week and especially if you use android apps.

7 - No alt/numbers/symbol keys is a distinct feature for the BlackBerry Passport.

8 - BlackBerry decided not to allow the spacebar to be used for a shortcut. (Would be cool if it could be a flashlight shortcut).

9 - Lights on the keyboard on switches on when the device identifies that it is in a dim/dark environment. But BlackBerry won't allow you to toggle an on/off keyboard light switch.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-17 05:56 PM
    1 - The convenience key (mute or play/pause button) cannot be reprogrammed to another function.

2 - Yep the keyboard shortcuts only work on the homescreen.

4 - The keyboard works when it wants. Sometimes I have to touch the screen before I can get the keyboard to work.

5 - Using 2 fingers instead of 1 is a feature to make sure the user doesn't accidently open up the settings drop down menu.

6 - BlackBerry batteries should be settled in within a couple a days to a week and especially if you use android apps.

7 - No alt/numbers/symbol keys is a distinct feature for the BlackBerry Passport.

8 - BlackBerry decided not to allow the spacebar to be used for a shortcut. (Would be cool if it could be a flashlight shortcut).

9 - Lights on the keyboard on switches on when the device identifies that it is in a dim/dark environment. But BlackBerry won't allow you to toggle an on/off keyboard light switch.

Posted via CB10
    The convenience key CAN be programmed to open an app with the use of a 3rd party app as I stated in my post above. At least mine can using doo. It works only for the long press, however.

Posted via CB10
    CHUNGHO888 likes this.
    11-16-17 12:12 AM
    The convenience key CAN be programmed to open an app with the use of a 3rd party app as I stated in my post above. At least mine can using doo. It works only for the long press, however.

Posted via CB10
    Looks like you can assign the mute button on the PassPort to an app. My mistake, I should have read the whole post before posting.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-17 01:23 AM
    I don't know what app will make the mute key a convenient key. But you can go the setting/ blackberry assistant to disable the mute key to launch the blackberry assistant.

It takes only a swipe to go back to home screen. Do you have a problem with your thumb?

There are different shortcuts for different native apps, such W for new page in Brower and M for monthly view in calendar.

You can swipe down with two fingers in any apps from top of the screen to get the button of adjusting screen backlight. If it is not on the first list, u can change it in the settings. There is a difference between hitting the left and right side of instant access in case you don't notice it. Besides, swiping down with one finger launched settings in some certain apps.

There hasn't an alt key from Day 1 since Passport was launched with some loving it and some hating it. You have to get used to it either way. And there are number keys on virtual keyboards. I do admit I did not get used to it when I started using Passport but it got better.

Why don't you complain about function keys?

Keyboard backlight turns on and off automatically.

Captive keyboard doesn't always work on apks Cuz there is not a single phone on Android OS coming with a captive keyboard before Priv.

Quite common complaints, but not sure where it comes from.
    Some people would blame their inability and brainlessness to whatever it is but themselves.

I do, however, know how to fix the issues you mentioned.

Sell it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leeiling; 11-16-17 at 09:49 PM.
    11-16-17 01:47 AM
    This kind of post in this time... you might want to consider other devices that may satisfy your needs and wants.

*Windermere in Manila*
    11-17-17 12:14 AM
    Yes, OS shortcuts do not work in apps - this is logical and absolutely right, but, being in app, you can swipe from top with 2 fingers and then use your shortcut.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-17 02:20 AM
    3. I've owned my Passport two years and I have never adjusted the brightness; the auto adjust for the brightness has always worked perfectly. When I read this post, I actually had to go look for the brightness adjustment slider to see what it looks like. It is funny to be on the train and watch the brightness adjust itself as it goes into and out of the shadows.
    11-18-17 02:24 PM
    When you tap on the brightness, tap on the "sun" brightness icon and underneath should pop up the slider for brightness without popping up a window.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the tip. This phone is amazing ;-)

Posted via CB10
    11-18-17 02:57 PM