Hey guys,

I it possible to shoot/save/extract RAW files from the Passports camery in any way? Was/Is there any native or Android app that is/was able to do that? That would be so interesting to compare to todays phone cameras and see what the PP is capable of without this stupid JPG compression...
    boogywstew likes this.
    02-14-23 05:40 PM
    I know a beta version of Camera++ did.... but if that ever made it to the released version or how you would get it now???

Passports camera was great for a BlackBerry camera, but it didn't hold up against the flagships of that time... be little point in comparing to phones eight or nine years newer.
    02-15-23 07:14 AM
    I know a beta version of Camera++ did.... but if that ever made it to the released version or how you would get it now???

Passports camera was great for a BlackBerry camera, but it didn't hold up against the flagships of that time... be little point in comparing to phones eight or nine years newer.
    Really? I have to contact the developer again haha - Camera++ is one of the few reasons I don't want to autoload my PP at this time...

IMO (as a photographer) not much has changed for a long time. It's all software, AI and computational photography trying to imprss people on a handy screen - not interested in that. That's why I am curious to see if we can get even MORE out of our Passports and edit in post - for those who are not too lazy haha
    Whenever I show photos I took with ++ to photographyer friends, they seem impressed and like the look, especially on that beautiful display.
    02-15-23 08:11 AM
    Really? I have to contact the developer again haha - Camera++ is one of the few reasons I don't want to autoload my PP at this time...

IMO (as a photographer) not much has changed for a long time. It's all software, AI and computational photography trying to imprss people on a handy screen - not interested in that. That's why I am curious to see if we can get even MORE out of our Passports and edit in post - for those who are not too lazy haha
    Whenever I show photos I took with ++ to photographyer friends, they seem impressed and like the look, especially on that beautiful display.
    If you say so....

But chips have gotten larger and that allows more light to be captured, and they have gotten more sensitive (more MP) over the last decade. I am aware that a LOT of the magic in today's phones comes by means of the software and the special dedicated imaging processors - that's what really allows Google's Pixel phones to shine.

But by no means do I think a RAW image taken with a decade old Passport 13MP chip is going to really compare to say the S23's 200MP chip. Never mind the quality and depth of color on a FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED high end display compared to the Passports LCD.

Of course the real test is having the photos printed, say as a 24" x 30" portrait and framed.
    02-15-23 09:02 AM
    If you say so....

But chips have gotten larger and that allows more light to be captured, and they have gotten more sensitive (more MP) over the last decade. I am aware that a LOT of the magic in today's phones comes by means of the software and the special dedicated imaging processors - that's what really allows Google's Pixel phones to shine.

But by no means do I think a RAW image taken with a decade old Passport 13MP chip is going to really compare to say the S23's 200MP chip. Never mind the quality and depth of color on a FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED high end display compared to the Passports LCD.

Of course the real test is having the photos printed, say as a 24" x 30" portrait and framed.
    Chips on most smartphones still have the size of 1/3. Iphone just updated to more megapixels than 12 after almost a decade, Samsungs 200 mpx is a joke and just pixel bending in the end - there are endless video review about their actual optical image quality. And a large format film from 100 years ago is still better than any digital sensor to this day haha...That's why I want to try RAW on my Passport.
    More megapixel means more noise - which is reduced in post through software AI, over-sharpened again and makes your images look like an oil painting on the big screen - which is hilarious, but people get used to everything.

However, I am not here to discuss whether it makes sense or not - that is a very subjective issue like many others. What I wanted to know, was if:

- anyone has ever tried it before or know of any app
    - anyone is interested in trying like me

Cheers!
    02-15-23 04:03 PM
    Chips on most smartphones still have the size of 1/3. Iphone just updated to more megapixels than 12 after almost a decade, Samsungs 200 mpx is a joke and just pixel bending in the end - there are endless video review about their actual optical image quality. And a large format film from 100 years ago is still better than any digital sensor to this day haha...That's why I want to try RAW on my Passport.
    More megapixel means more noise - which is reduced in post through software AI, over-sharpened again and makes your images look like an oil painting on the big screen - which is hilarious, but people get used to everything.

However, I am not here to discuss whether it makes sense or not - that is a very subjective issue like many others. What I wanted to know, was if:

- anyone has ever tried it before or know of any app
    - anyone is interested in trying like me

Cheers!
    I would love to see some of the Apple and Android pushers be confronted with picking out which photograph was taken by which phone. I also wonder if some of these regulars constantly pushing a particular phone brand have a vested interest in that particular phone brand.
    I hope you pursue this further and report back what you experience. I, for one, am intensely interested in what you are doing.
    Akis Tsirogiannis likes this.
    02-15-23 04:58 PM
    I would love to see some of the Apple and Android pushers be confronted with picking out which photograph was taken by which phone. I also wonder if some of these regulars constantly pushing a particular phone brand have a vested interest in that particular phone brand.
    I hope you pursue this further and report back what you experience. I, for one, am intensely interested in what you are doing.
    You do realize BlackBerry technology is ancient now from technology perspective right?

What kind of vested interest could anyone here really have?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-15-23 07:50 PM
    You do realize BlackBerry technology is ancient now from technology perspective right?

They could sell phones, for starters. Maybe they work for a cell phone company in another capacity besides sales? I am well aware that BlackBerry technology is outdated. I am still very interested in the OP's little experiment.
    02-15-23 09:32 PM

Many oldtimer cars are "outdated" - but still people WANT to use them. Who says that we only have to use the most recent technology? Companies with financial interests maybe - but this is why we have a "community", I guess? To discuss and try things companies are not interested it.

Thanks! Just that. There are tests from back in the time where it competed against the iphone 6 which was released around the same time. And from my photographic experience and opinion physically, not much has changed. Sonys Pro-I and some newer Xiaomi Phone uses a bigger sensor, that's it. The rest is AI.
    02-16-23 03:12 AM
    Many oldtimer cars are "outdated" - but still people WANT to use them. Who says that we only have to use the most recent technology? Companies with financial interests maybe - but this is why we have a "community", I guess? To discuss and try things companies are not interested it.

Thanks! Just that. There are tests from back in the time where it competed against the iphone 6 which was released around the same time. And from my photographic experience and opinion physically, not much has changed. Sonys Pro-I and some newer Xiaomi Phone uses a bigger sensor, that's it. The rest is AI.
    What does an iPhone 6 have to do with any modern technology either?

I seriously doubt anyone or any company is posting to a dozen people because they have some vested interest. That sounds absolutely ridiculous.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-16-23 05:32 AM

I seriously doubt anyone or any company is posting to a dozen people because they have some vested interest. That sounds absolutely ridiculous.
    Well as long as the checks keep coming...
    02-16-23 07:01 AM

Seriously? The reason that almost everyone here states as the reason BB does not do phones anymore is that any company has to make money...Of course they are not a charity organisation So of course they have a growth agenda/strategy as priority, they NEED you to buy new phones frequently, otherwise they are in trouble.
    02-16-23 02:12 PM
    They could sell phones, for starters. Maybe they work for a cell phone company in another capacity besides sales? I am well aware that BlackBerry technology is outdated. I am still very interested in the OP's little experiment.
    So you think a salesperson looking to meet their sales quotas would come here for sales? You do realize how ridiculous that sounds?
    02-16-23 02:34 PM
    Seriously? The reason that almost everyone here states as the reason BB does not do phones anymore is that any company has to make money...Of course they are not a charity organisation So of course they have a growth agenda/strategy as priority, they NEED you to buy new phones frequently, otherwise they are in trouble.
    That reply doesn't even make sense to my post you replied too
    02-16-23 02:37 PM
    So you think a salesperson looking to meet their sales quotas would come here for sales? You do realize how ridiculous that sounds?
    Yes, that would be totally out of the realm of possibility that a person who sells phones for a living or works for a phone manufacturer or has family members or friends that do might recommend that particular phone over all others to people here without making a full disclosure.
    I mean, this is a phone fan site, so it would be so unlikely people here would have anything to do with the cell phone industry outside CrackBerry.
    This is the 2nd time today you referred to other people's ideas as "ridiculous"? Grow up!
    Gene Fells likes this.
    02-16-23 04:19 PM
    Yes, that would be totally out of the realm of possibility that a person who sells phones for a living or works for a phone manufacturer or has family members or friends that do might recommend that particular phone over all others to people here without making a full disclosure.
    I mean, this is a phone fan site, so it would be so unlikely people here would have anything to do with the cell phone industry outside CrackBerry.
    This is the 2nd time today you referred to other people's ideas as "ridiculous"? Grow up!
    It's ridiculous because a phone salesperson would starve to death if CrackBerry in 2023 was part of there sales plan in any way. It makes ZERO sense.
    02-16-23 04:51 PM
    It's ridiculous because a phone salesperson would starve to death if CrackBerry in 2023 was part of there sales plan in any way. It makes ZERO sense.
    You think I was talking about THE FUTURE???
    02-16-23 04:58 PM

You can't even compare a current iPhone, Galaxy S, or Pixel to anything made more than 3 years ago. The camera quality is leaps and bounds superior and is approaching DSLR quality.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-16-23 10:40 PM
    You can't even compare a current iPhone, Galaxy S, or Pixel to anything made more than 3 years ago. The camera quality is leaps and bounds superior and is approaching DSLR quality.
    ...And I don't want to compare, cause it's pointless What I want and asked for, is if anyone knows if it is possible to shoot RAW images in any way. My intention was not to boost sales or compare it to DSLR. But somehow a few topics always twist turn into sth. different

So back to my main question: If someone knows/has experienced it, please let me know how Thanks!
    boogywstew likes this.
    02-17-23 01:35 AM
    Hey guys,

I it possible to shoot/save/extract RAW files from the Passports camery in any way? Was/Is there any native or Android app that is/was able to do that? That would be so interesting to compare to todays phone cameras and see what the PP is capable of without this stupid JPG compression...
    Your OP says you want to compare and you're being told in 2023, simply no comparison.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-17-23 06:07 AM
    Your OP says you want to compare and you're being told in 2023, simply no comparison.
    I think he just primarily want a way to pic a raw-image, not so much the discussion

Skickat från min BBB100-2 via Tapatalk
    boogywstew likes this.
    02-17-23 09:56 AM
    ...would be so interesting to compare to todays phone cameras and see what the PP is capable of...
    ... I don't want to compare, cause it's pointless
    ???
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-17-23 10:25 AM

youre very right too many people on this forum like to belittle everyone and call them outdated if they want to try one little thing on their BB10 phone. To those people they should get outta here and hang out on the apple forum theres plenty of people over there that you might have more in common with. let us talk about the stuff we are interested in without being ridiculed
    02-18-23 12:22 PM
    great comment. some of the people on here need to grow up big time. if they cant let us talk about the stuff we like then they should move on to other sites. its the negative people of the world that ruin it for the rest of us.
    02-18-23 12:26 PM
    youre very right too many people on this forum like to belittle everyone and call them outdated if they want to try one little thing on their BB10 phone. To those people they should get outta here and hang out on the apple forum theres plenty of people over there that you might have more in common with. let us talk about the stuff we are interested in without being ridiculed
    Nah, I'm good here
    02-18-23 01:10 PM
43 12