My Passport takes terrible pictures with the main camera and I think this is because it can't detect light levels correctly. Everything is over exposed.

I recently changed the light sensor that faces the user (keyboard side) as it wasn't switching the screen off when it was put near my face. I was really hoping that this would have also fixed the main camera exposure level too but replacing this part fixed only the screen-off during calls problem.

I'm happy to take the Passport apart again to fix this but I just wanted to know if anyone knows how the main camera works? Does it have its own light sensor to control exposure in the T20 module itself or is there another input for exposure/light levels?

P.S. I got the light sensor from the Russian site (BBRY.net) and they were very good and posted to the UK pretty quickly.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-19 08:34 AM
    I wouldn't swear on it, but my best guess is that measurment is done through the electric currents made by the sensor surface, its pixels. No need for any extra instrument.
    My Passport takes terrible pictures with the main camera and I think this is because it can't detect light levels correctly. Everything is over exposed.

I recently changed the light sensor that faces the user (keyboard side) as it wasn't switching the screen off when it was put near my face. I was really hoping that this would have also fixed the main camera exposure level too but replacing this part fixed only the screen-off during calls problem.

I'm happy to take the Passport apart again to fix this but I just wanted to know if anyone knows how the main camera works? Does it have its own light sensor to control exposure in the T20 module itself or is there another input for exposure/light levels?

P.S. I got the light sensor from the Russian site (BBRY.net) and they were very good and posted to the UK pretty quickly.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-19 08:51 AM
    Yes, I'm inclined to think it is all done in the main camera sensor. I might try a new camera module as it isn't expensive. It used to take pretty good photos. I will try some outside shots to see if it has gotten any better with the light sensor on the other side.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-19 09:18 AM
    The Passport has no additional AE meter, I am also inclined to think sensor info is processed. Normally Passport tends to overexpose, I am not sure if this has something to do with how metering system works and if it has any matrix capabilities, seems like the camera relies on spot metering or some sort of center-weighted.
    01-01-20 08:50 AM
    The Passport has no additional AE meter, I am also inclined to think sensor info is processed. Normally Passport tends to overexpose, I am not sure if this has something to do with how metering system works and if it has any matrix capabilities, seems like the camera relies on spot metering or some sort of center-weighted.
    When, I've checked pictures with Exif Viewer (BBW) it seems that the stock camera uses centre weighted metering while Camera ++ uses spot metering.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-20 09:10 AM
    When, I've checked pictures with Exif Viewer (BBW) it seems that the stock camera uses centre weighted metering while Camera ++ uses spot metering.

Posted via CB10
    Very good observation Mikael! I have never taken the time to have a look at this detail. This actually explains why my experience tells that the stock app handles a wider variety of shooting conditions, as center-weighted metering provides more exposure convenience. This is why Camera++ tends to be harder to adjust and more suitable for static scenes.
    mikael11 likes this.
    01-03-20 07:37 AM
    This makes things clearer for me too! Hopefully easier to use these apps in a more optimal way.
    Very good observation Mikael! I have never taken the time to have a look at this detail. This actually explains why my experience tells that the stock app handles a wider variety of shooting conditions, as center-weighted metering provides more exposure convenience. This is why Camera++ tends to be harder to adjust and more suitable for static scenes.
    Last edited by mikael11; 01-03-20 at 09:36 AM.
    01-03-20 08:20 AM