09-10-15 06:56 PM
40 12
tools
    I should add, I'm trying to back up my device before sending it in but it won't recognize on any of the pc/laptops I've tried it on (3) in total.

What could I do or what am I doing wrong? I open blackberry link and it just doesn't recognize my phone.

Posted via Passport SE
    USB cord? Latest version of BlackBerry Link installed?

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 01:58 PM
    Just noticed this on my SE too. After my original Passport screen lifted two times, I declare BlackBerry unable to create quality hardware anymore.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    09-08-15 02:05 PM
    USB cord? Latest version of BlackBerry Link installed?

Posted via CB10
    Yes to both, do I need to change any settings on my phone?

Posted via Passport SE
    09-08-15 02:07 PM
    Yes to both, do I need to change any settings on my phone?

Posted via Passport SE
    Possibly. In settings you can click device connections and allow for BlackBerry Link and Blend.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 06:26 PM
    Possibly. In settings you can click device connections and allow for BlackBerry Link and Blend.

Posted via CB10
    I'll give that a shot see how it goes, set up an exchange with BlackBerry rma hopefully all goes well, waiting for a call back now. Hopefully I get a perfect silver edition back.

It's really going to suck waiting it out for a new one to come in, any ideas how long it usually takes for the whole process?

EDIT: all is good, new passport comes thurs and all I have to do is send the old one in

Posted via Passport SE
    Last edited by samtronswt; 09-08-15 at 11:04 PM.
    09-08-15 08:30 PM
    I'll give that a shot see how it goes, set up an exchange with BlackBerry rma hopefully all goes well, waiting for a call back now. Hopefully I get a perfect silver edition back.

It's really going to suck waiting it out for a new one to come in, any ideas how long it usually takes for the whole process?

Posted via Passport SE
    See if that works for you. There are alternatives to using Link if necessary. I just purchased yet another Passport (SQW100-3) and I simply transferred everything from my file manager by dragging them onto folders on my desktop then dragging them into the new device (music, camera, photos, etc.) then downloaded the apps manually and logged in.

If they are going to send you out a new device prior to returning the one you have and you are still struggling with Link; the Device Switch app would be of good use for you. Simply download the app on both devices and you'll be able to transfer to the new device. I would be pushing for this rather than just sending your Passport back and waiting it out.

While I'm 100% satisfied with shopblackberry/dr, others have waited a while for a replacement after returning a device and have reported receiving another defective device. This is why I'd go with having them send you out a new device then you'd return your device. You may have to escalate this to get there or discuss directly with BlackBerry. There are many here that have gone this route.

As a side, personally, I've dreaded purchasing Passports because of this forum. I do appreciate hearing the negatives as well as the positives though. My original black Passport from a year ago has been through hell, dropped, and whatever else and everything remains flawless. I later purchased a red Passport last November and again zero hardware issues. I recently decided to go with another Passport, this one being the AT&T version, and again zero issues.

The SQW100-3 (more similar to the SE) does feel better built than the original although that's subjective for the -3. The keyboard is definitely softer and has a much different feel. Not really improved in my opinion, just feels different/softer. For me the extra chin has been a waste of space and has only made typing more difficult. Took me over a week to be able to type a sentence out without looking down and overall was just uncomfortable to hold.

I'm still not totally comfortable with it, but likely because I was using the original for so long. I am enjoying it though and hopefully you'll be able to enjoy a well built Silver Edition Passport. Went a bit off-topic, but of all the build issues mentioned here I somehow ended up getting three perfectly fine devices. Cringed every time I was waiting though. Hardware good = check, perform all BBVE tests = check.

I'd be curious if you have any other issues besides the back of the device creaking with pressure? It seemed pretty split when the SE came out with those having the upper side of the screen already slightly lifted, while others stated their devices were fine. Of course those with issues will be more vocal. I guess my point is that I'd be nervous myself on getting a return device unless I could get it up front then return the other. That would be your best course of action... or at least that's what I'd try to do if I had to.

Edit: I just read your edit and it seems you were able to get the device sent first. Thoroughly go over the new device before returning your other SE. Do a solid hardware check and make sure the screen is uniform and flat. Perform all BBVE tests as well. You do not want to end up sending in a device with a relatively minor issue and end up with the screen lifting off (not saying any of this is common, but possible). Good luck with everything. Hope it works out for you :-)

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 11:10 PM
    See if that works for you. There are alternatives to using Link if necessary. I just purchased yet another Passport (SQW100-3) and I simply transferred everything from my file manager by dragging them onto folders on my desktop then dragging them into the new device (music, camera, photos, etc.) then downloaded the apps manually and logged in.

If they are going to send you out a new device prior to returning the one you have and you are still struggling with Link; the Device Switch app would be of good use for you. Simply download the app on both devices and you'll be able to transfer to the new device. I would be pushing for this rather than just sending your Passport back and waiting it out.

While I'm 100% satisfied with shopblackberry/dr, others have waited a while for a replacement after returning a device and have reported receiving another defective device. This is why I'd go with having them send you out a new device then you'd return your device. You may have to escalate this to get there or discuss directly with BlackBerry. There are many here that have gone this route.

As a side, personally, I've dreaded purchasing Passports because of this forum. I do appreciate hearing the negatives as well as the positives though. My original black Passport from a year ago has been through hell, dropped, and whatever else and everything remains flawless. I later purchased a red Passport last November and again zero hardware issues. I recently decided to go with another Passport, this one being the AT&T version, and again zero issues.

The SQW100-3 (more similar to the SE) does feel better built than the original although that's subjective for the -3. The keyboard is definitely softer and has a much different feel. Not really improved in my opinion, just feels different/softer. For me the extra chin has been a waste of space and has only made typing more difficult. Took me over a week to be able to type a sentence out without looking down and overall was just uncomfortable to hold.

I'm still not totally comfortable with it, but likely because I was using the original for so long. I am enjoying it though and hopefully you'll be able to enjoy a well built Silver Edition Passport. Went a bit off-topic, but of all the build issues mentioned here I somehow ended up getting three perfectly fine devices. Cringed every time I was waiting though. Hardware good = check, perform all BBVE tests = check.

I'd be curious if you have any other issues besides the back of the device creaking with pressure? It seemed pretty split when the SE came out with those having the upper side of the screen already slightly lifted, while others stated their devices were fine. Of course those with issues will be more vocal. I guess my point is that I'd be nervous myself on getting a return device unless I could get it up front then return the other. That would be your best course of action... or at least that's what I'd try to do if I had to.

Edit: I just read your edit and it seems you were able to get the device sent first. Thoroughly go over the new device before returning your other SE. Do a solid hardware check and make sure the screen is uniform and flat. Perform all BBVE tests as well. You do not want to end up sending in a device with a relatively minor issue and end up with the screen lifting off (not saying any of this is common, but possible). Good luck with everything. Hope it works out for you :-)

Posted via CB10
    Hey thanks for the lenghty post, appreciate it.

I'll be downloading that device manager you speak of, I'm assuming that's the name of the app to transfer things over?

Also will do a complete inspection to make sure the phones proper this time around. I have a gap within the screen frame and keyboard that I was worried about, I'll match it to the new passport they send this week and see if the gap is as big or not so I can confirm any issues on that part.

that app you speak off, what exactly will it transfer over?

Posted via Passport SE
    09-09-15 08:03 AM
    Hey thanks for the lenghty post, appreciate it.

I'll be downloading that device manager you speak of, I'm assuming that's the name of the app to transfer things over?

Also will do a complete inspection to make sure the phones proper this time around. I have a gap within the screen frame and keyboard that I was worried about, I'll match it to the new passport they send this week and see if the gap is as big or not so I can confirm any issues on that part.

that app you speak off, what exactly will it transfer over?

Posted via Passport SE
    No problem... just trying to help. The app is in BlackBerry World and called "Device Switch". It will transfer contacts, calendar, pictures, videos... not sure if I'm missing anything. It was updated not that long ago and much improved (at least from when I originally used it).

Worked well for my mom, moving from a Z10 to the Passport. I've also used it before. You can select what you want and don't want to transfer. Check it out in BlackBerry World. Should help if you still have Link issues.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 08:24 AM
    Yeh still having issues with link, wonder if it's a very long process. I'm assuming it goes through wifi the data transfer too? Will Def try it out either tomorrow or today when it comes

Posted via Passport SE
    09-09-15 08:35 AM
    Yeh still having issues with link, wonder if it's a very long process. I'm assuming it goes through wifi the data transfer too? Will Def try it out either tomorrow or today when it comes

Posted via Passport SE
    Yup. Both devices have to be on the same WiFi network and after downloading the app on both devices you will be asked which device you are transferring to and will have to validate a confirmation code. The app is free and after you have finished you can just delete it.

The device switch app has been pretty fast every time I've used it, but guess it would depend on your WiFi. I'm still unsure as to why Link is not recognizing/connecting to your device if you've done all of the usual troubleshooting that has been mentioned along with a reboot.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-15 08:53 AM
    Yup. Both devices have to be on the same WiFi network and after downloading the app on both devices you will be asked which device you are transferring to and will have to validate a confirmation code. The app is free and after you have finished you can just delete it.

The device switch app has been pretty fast every time I've used it, but guess it would depend on your WiFi. I'm still unsure as to why Link is not recognizing/connecting to your device if you've done all of the usual troubleshooting that has been mentioned along with a reboot.

Posted via CB10
    Once I'm home I'll give the reboot and retry one last time and see if it does anything. If not, will have to use device switch.

Posted via Passport SE
    09-09-15 09:30 AM
    Same here.

And I also have another, similar problem with the top part of the glass on the front face. It doesn't hold well to the body (the black part under). Obviously QA problem.

Sadly, I've tried to reclaim it at the shop but, they refused to take any responsibility on it.
    The shop has sent me to BlackBerry's authorized service center and the center has sent me back to the shop. The shop has finally admitted that my phone (Silver Edition) has a build quality issue and approved an exchange. That's the good news.

Bad news is, they couldn't find a solid-built piece. They've opened several boxes (that are from a new batch as the fist batch, which my phone came from, was sold out the very first day) just to find out that all pieces have exactly the same two issues:

-- The top part of the front face glass is slightly lifted.

-- The left (in rear view) edge of the back face cover doesn't hold tightly to the metal bezel.

First grade quality is probably available only in selected markets. The rest of the world must be satisfied with 2nd or (in my case) 3rd grade quality.
    Last edited by dusanvn; 09-10-15 at 02:11 AM. Reason: grammar fix
    09-10-15 02:08 AM
    Anybody else have this issue?

The back black part that holds in the battery, one side doesn't make any noises lightly pressed where one side kind of clicks in and you can see it moving when lightly pressed on the edge.

If you face the passport down on its screen with the rear facing you, press on the right edges anywhere lightly and it's firm. I press on the left edges lightly and it makes a light clicking noise slightly moving in and out.

Is that something I should be worrying about? I'm probably just over exaggerating these small things cause it's a new device but just want to make sure.

Posted via Passport SE
    Mine is ok . Not experienced anything of that sort .
    09-10-15 02:32 AM
    To add another suggestion for backing up your phone: if you have a Dropbox account, give Firechest Backup a try. It will backup your calendar, contacts, camera, documents, downloads and remember app memos. There's also Ultimate Backup by Runisoft which I have not tried yet, but IIRC it backs up sms as well.

I hope your new phone will be issue-free!

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    09-10-15 08:17 AM
    To add another suggestion for backing up your phone: if you have a Dropbox account, give Firechest Backup a try. It will backup your calendar, contacts, camera, documents, downloads and remember app memos. There's also Ultimate Backup by Runisoft which I have not tried yet, but IIRC it backs up sms as well.

I hope your new phone will be issue-free!

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    Thanks for that, will give it a go!

Just waiting for the new phone should come in tomorrow. Going to do a thorough check on it. What are the biggest issues on the silver edition I should look for?

Posted via Passport SE
    09-10-15 06:56 PM
40 12