How long are these good for? With a larger storage card I am accumulating a lot of pictures and videos. Backing up can be time consuming. How long will the cards last?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-16 07:29 PM
    SD Cards last a long time ... until damaged.
    Backup of your data, pictures and videos is a must if they are of value to you.
    05-05-16 09:50 PM
    I have seveal cards I have been using daily for over 3 years with no problems, however I do ALWAYS keep backups.
    05-06-16 01:28 AM
    SD card is so useful especially for music library nevertheless I advise to back-up storage thru USB OTG

Posted via CB10
    05-06-16 01:58 AM
    Half the SD cards I bought in the past died and took the data with them to the grave. The ones that died did so in less than a year. One kicked the bucked in two months worth of very light use. It has been my experience that the SD cards are the second most unreliable computer components (after Seagate and Wester Digital HDDs).

I've switched to Samsung SDs some time ago. I've had zero failures since.

"The world is inhabited by those who back up and those who will back up"
    05-06-16 05:47 AM
    The critical measurand is the number of writes of a concrete single data bit. This number is limited to some (ten) thousands. If you mostly read your data you can use an SD card for years (or even decades) until the contacts are corroded. Read access doesn't harm at all. If you have many writes and you can dispatch them over locations on the entire disk it will also be no problem for a long time. This is the case when you fill the SD card without deleting data. A problem could be when you write onto the same location (the beginning of the data space) again and again. This can happen when you tend to clean up the space on the SD card.

I would say a modern SD card with typical use will last until the end of your device, even when you write everyday on it. Don't defragment it.
    05-06-16 07:21 AM
    Never rely on any one place to keep data you don't want to lose!

SD cards are generally reliable but it doesn't have to be the card that fails for you to lose that precious data, what if you lose your phone?

I know it's a pain but back it up regularly, depending how much new data you write to it you might get away with once every month or even every three months.

At the end of the day you need to ask yourself how important the data is to you, only you can answer that one unfortunately, better to lose three months data rather than the whole lot.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    05-06-16 08:23 AM
    Online backup is usually your safest best. SD Cards are pretty durable unless they are used to handle lots of continuous temporary file writes. Storing large files over a long time is not an issue. Continuous writing to the card tends to shorten the lifespan.
    05-06-16 08:26 PM
    Hey Guys,

The BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition can also use a 128 GB Card right?

BlackBerry  Passport Silver Edition  CB App
    05-07-16 05:11 AM
    Yep, I've been using a 128GB SD Card since I bought mine. Never any issues.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-16 05:30 AM
    Thank you very much. What Brand are you using for your SD Card? I also want to get one

05-07-16 10:06 AM
    I've been using SanDisk Ultra 128GB Ultra...works great and inexpensive.
    05-07-16 07:16 PM
    What is the Biggest SD Card Supported BlackBerry Passport SE?

05-08-16 02:16 AM
    I Guess the Biggest SD Card that BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition is Supporting and BlackBerry Passport OR is 128GB right?

 P A S S P O R T [ S E]  | CB App |
    05-20-16 08:05 PM
    I Guess the Biggest SD Card that BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition is Supporting and BlackBerry Passport OR is 128GB right?

No. It can support a 200GB as well. I know because I have one installed with no issues. It's a SanDisk Ultra.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 05:49 AM
    No. It can support a 200GB as well. I know because I have one installed with no issues. It's a SanDisk Ultra.

Posted via CB10
    Ok thank you very much. It least I know now, that I can also use a 200GB SD Card in my Phone. I hope there will be no Problem with it. I'm making a lot of Videos in Full HD with my BlackBerry Passport SE. I hope they are also fast enough because the Memory where the Recorded Film goes straight to the SD Card.

sesp9 likes this.
    05-21-16 10:17 AM
    The Class type of the SD card makes a world of difference too.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-21-16 10:44 AM
    Class Type? You mean the Speed of the Data Transfer?

05-21-16 11:09 AM
    Class Type? You mean the Speed of the Data Transfer?

Yes. https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    05-21-16 11:52 AM
    Mine is: Performance/speed:Up to 90MB/s read speed, write speed lower) it's pretty fast and works well with the passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-16 02:41 PM