The problem: At times, BlackBerry applications such as the BB camera app or the BB File Manager app are unable to write to the SD card*, but it is still able to read (and delete) contents on it. Trying to alter the contents of the SD card using the File Manager app would result in a warning that the operation cannot be performed in a read-only folder. This can happen out of the blue, and it affects me once every 2-3 months.

Partial solution: I have looked up this problem all over the web and it seems it is a rare problem and affects different phones as well such as Android phones. I don't see any solutions, so I will post my own experience here. More often than not, restarting the phone does not fix the problem. What I do is simply to take out the SD card (making sure it is not in use when taking it out, or else it would result in corrupt files) and placing it back 5-10 seconds later. It does not always work the first time, but after 3-5 times, it would work again. One could also clean the electrical contacts with a soft cloth, although I suspect this is not an issue, as my card and the phone were only a few weeks old when it happened the first time. I don't know if this works for everyone, but just want to let those who come here via Google know of my experience.

* SanDisk Ultra 64GB UHI-I/Class 10 Micro SDXC

Update: Using scan disk on the PC on the SD card identified an error, which went repaired seems to get the SD card working again - so far.
    Last edited by BloombergPhone; 08-28-15 at 12:08 PM.
    03-14-15 04:13 AM
    Have you tried removing all the files from the card to your PC, and then reformatting the card in the phone? You can then move the contents back.
    03-14-15 05:37 AM