After over a year of use my Passport no longer recognizes my SD card and now requires formatting (possibly). Happened all of the sudden, while the phone was in use.

The card itself has never been encrypted so I may be able to recover all the data but I haven't tried yet. Everything else I've tried to no avail.

Any Ideas as to why this could have happened would be helpful to prevent this from happening again and is much appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 05:12 PM
    Everything else I've tried to no avail.
    What is everything else you've tried? Have you tried removing it from your device and seeing if it works in something else such as a computer? Generally, errors point to the card failing, so even if it does work there's a chance it'll choke on you later taking the data with it. As for what you could do to prevent it, well, some cards just die. I've had some die after a month, a year and then some I've had for so long I don't even know how old they are any longer.
    05-24-16 06:42 PM
    What is everything else you've tried? Have you tried removing it from your device and seeing if it works in something else such as a computer? Generally, errors point to the card failing, so even if it does work there's a chance it'll choke on you later taking the data with it. As for what you could do to prevent it, well, some cards just die. I've had some die after a month, a year and then some I've had for so long I don't even know how old they are any longer.
    All I've tried is removing it and re inserting after cleaning as well as letting the whole Passport cool off. It was in the car for a while and got pretty hot. And the usual reboot ect.

I wasn't at the time able to swap the card with anything else but I am going to try it in a computer in about 10 minutes.

I had no idea that these SD cards could just all of the sudden just stop reading for no apparent reason so at least I know I should be a little more diligent when saving my stuff.!

Thanks for the info.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-16 07:47 PM
    All I've tried is removing it and re inserting after cleaning as well as letting the whole Passport cool off. It was in the car for a while and got pretty hot. And the usual reboot ect.

I wasn't at the time able to swap the card with anything else but I am going to try it in a computer in about 10 minutes.

I had no idea that these SD cards could just all of the sudden just stop reading for no apparent reason so at least I know I should be a little more diligent when saving my stuff.!

Thanks for the info.

Posted via CB10
    What is the update now about your SD Card? Was your Computer able to read your SD Card?

 P A S S P O R T [ S E ]  | CB App |
    05-25-16 03:53 PM
    That's usually how SD cards take a dump.
    It's hit or miss if they go.
    And nothing can really be done to stop it other than not using the SD card.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-16 09:36 PM
    Maybe I'm just lucky. I've got plenty sd cards going back to my Palm m515 days and I have never had one fail. I still have that original m515 card and it still works fine.
    05-25-16 09:42 PM
    SD card when placed in the computer is completely blank. It shows as drive but all info is gone.

No idea what happened but was formatted as required when I got it about a year and half ago and has never been taken out until the problem occurred.

I guess my next question is can I get all my stuff back?

I had been doing back ups until about February of this year until my PC went down trying to download Windows 10.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-16 08:23 AM
    SD card when placed in the computer is completely blank. It shows as drive but all info is gone.

No idea what happened but was formatted as required when I got it about a year and half ago and has never been taken out until the problem occurred.

I guess my next question is can I get all my stuff back?

I had been doing back ups until about February of this year until my PC went down trying to download Windows 10.

Posted via CB10
    There are several data recovery programs that you can get and I just recovered info from a desktop harddrive that I thought was unrecoverable. The program is called Zar X. There is a limited demo version which lets you retrieve your files and it worked beautifully for me.
    05-26-16 08:51 AM