Hi 85_305

I think BlackBerry tanked in the handset area because they couldn't sell icecubes in the desert. Their marketing has always been awful. They also refused to stick with what made them a major player: security, security, security. They sort of got away from pushing what they did better than everyone else coupled with underpowered hardware affected them adversely. Pricing too had an effect. At some point you need to start sacrificing razor thin margins in terms of profit so that you can preserve market share and stay relevant.

I bought my BlackBerry Passport because it's a super competent smartphone at a bargain basement price even with 2 year old hardware.
    They've gotten away from security??? Interesting. I'm constantly hearing of android breaches and iphone breaches, not once have I heard of a blackberry breach. In fact, my best friend is a director at a network forensics firm, and they can crack iphones and androids all day long, but not once have they cracked a blackberry. Ever.

Under powered hardware? More laughs. Show me a smart phone two years ago that had a quad core processor, 4 gigs of ram, and a beefy gpu?? Back when I had my z30, all those years ago, my buddy had an iPhone 4s. His phone couldn't hold a candle to my old dual core z30.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    12-06-16 09:08 AM
    They've gotten away from security??? Interesting. I'm constantly hearing of android breaches and iphone breaches, not once have I heard of a blackberry breach. In fact, my best friend is a director at a network forensics firm, and they can crack iphones and androids all day long, but not once have they cracked a blackberry. Ever.

Under powered hardware? More laughs. Show me a smart phone two years ago that had a quad core processor, 4 gigs of ram, and a beefy gpu?? Back when I had my z30, all those years ago, my buddy had an iPhone 4s. His phone couldn't hold a candle to my old dual core z30.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    I was referring to today's standards hardware wise. My security point was in terms of how they marketed their strengths.

Happy to provide a few laughs for you...
    12-06-16 09:32 AM
    Even still, the hardware in the passports combined with the low overhead of the OS makes it quite the contender, new phones or not. I'm getting so pissed off with everybody dropping support for these phones and the android apps suck pp

Posted via CB10 Passport
    12-06-16 11:58 AM
    Original. Lighten up.
    Original is fine. OG is not a valid name for any BlackBerry device.
    12-06-16 03:36 PM
    Threads like these remind us of why Blackberry is going down the ****ter. The phone is two years old, and people are just now beginning to buy them up. Has their cost dropped exponentially? Are they being bought used? Unsure. But this is exactly why BlackBerry is tanking.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    I had people freaking out about my ATT yesterday. No one knows about the phone. Chen did zero marketing for it. He just did some CNBC interviews and had no product ready for launch. They ran out immediately and couldn't come up with more for three or four months.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-16 05:28 PM
    I wish blackberry released a keyboardless version with the same form factor. Justttt all screen. While I love the pkb, the screen estate is just so necessary right now especially when comparing with the tiny rectangular boxes most manufacturers have chosen. Too bad they want to get out of the design business.

Posted via CB10
    I've been saying the same thing.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-16 05:47 PM
    I laughed when I first saw the mock ups. Now I eat crow. This PP is awesome.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-16 05:49 PM
    I'm certainly not dropping support. I really enjoy my OG Passport. Yes it's original but I can call it what I want. Some of you guys really need to loosen up...
    bh7171 likes this.
    12-06-16 11:57 PM
    I laughed when I first saw the mock ups. Now I eat crow. This PP is awesome.

Posted via CB10
    I was sure it would be the most ridiculous device ever. Then I read about the capacitive keyboard... Serious innovation.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-16 12:05 AM
    To the people saying BlackBerry did no marketing for the passport, they DID. They had some very sexy commercials for it when it was first launched.

Also, if your involved in the technology world what so ever, when the pp first came out it was crushing every smart phone on the market in reviews yet somehow still had no public or connoisseur recognition (read: android or iPhone crew).

Posted via CB10 Passport
    12-07-16 01:03 PM
    Threads like these remind us of why Blackberry is going down the ****ter. The phone is two years old, and people are just now beginning to buy them up. Has their cost dropped exponentially? Are they being bought used? Unsure. But this is exactly why BlackBerry is tanking.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    The pricing strategy was simply horrible. It was also one of reasons why Amazon Fire Phone was a failure. A lot of users can live with less apps, but won't choose that condition if they have to pay the same or - even worse - more for it.

Posted through my  Z30
    12-07-16 02:17 PM
    To the people saying BlackBerry did no marketing for the passport, they DID. They had some very sexy commercials for it when it was first launched.

Also, if your involved in the technology world what so ever, when the pp first came out it was crushing every smart phone on the market in reviews yet somehow still had no public or connoisseur recognition (read: android or iPhone crew).

Posted via CB10 Passport
    The Passport had "sexy commercials"? Where are these commercials? Are there any on Youtube? I recall some marketing images and slogans about "work wide" or something, but that is it.

Also, "no public or connoisseur recognition" means poor marketing. Knowing the product exists is the first step to selling it and a primary goal of marketing. Marketing is much broader than advertising. It includes getting reviewers to do reviews, getting devices into stores and lots of other things.
    thecaringkind likes this.
    12-07-16 03:46 PM
    The pricing strategy was simply horrible. It was also one of reasons why Amazon Fire Phone was a failure. A lot of users can live with less apps, but won't choose that condition if they have to pay the same or - even worse - more for it.

Posted through my  Z30
    The worth of a phone is based upon its capability of running apps?

Posted via CB10 Passport
    12-09-16 07:00 PM
    The Passport had "sexy commercials"? Where are these commercials? Are there any on Youtube? I recall some marketing images and slogans about "work wide" or something, but that is it.

Also, "no public or connoisseur recognition" means poor marketing. Knowing the product exists is the first step to selling it and a primary goal of marketing. Marketing is much broader than advertising. It includes getting reviewers to do reviews, getting devices into stores and lots of other things.
    I'm not sure if they're on YouTube, I'd imagine that they are. Their marketing has indeed sucked overall, agreed.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    12-09-16 07:02 PM
    I'm not sure if they're on YouTube, I'd imagine that they are. Their marketing has indeed sucked overall, agreed.

Posted via CB10 Passport

This one? Lol

Posted via CB10
    12-11-16 04:50 PM

This one? Lol

Posted via CB10
    I wish my Passport would transform to a Z10 after crashes :c

BB10 will outlast Android! Just you wait! Stage 1: denial
    12-11-16 08:13 PM
    I wish my Passport would transform to a Z10 after crashes :c

BB10 will outlast Android! Just you wait! Stage 1: denial
    Those production values are too high. Look at Chen's reinvention of the website (maybe they fixed it by now).
    12-12-16 12:07 AM

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Lol comparing 4S to Z30? When Z30 was released, I think it was the iPhone 6 era. Which phone didn't have quad core back then, except for a BlackBerry? And Z30's GPU was not high end.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-16 01:55 AM

Posted via CB10 Passport
    Commercials on YouTube?

If they did market their product, how come it got no public recognition?
    Ask anyone what Google Pixel is, they'll tell you. Checkout the ads for Samsung, Apple and Google, then compare with what BlackBerry did.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-16 01:57 AM
    It is a fine screen (but I wish it as amoled)...
    12-12-16 11:44 AM
    I'm reading the book 'Losing The Signal' right now and if previous management is any indication of how BlackBerry is still operating nowadays then their weakness is in that they found their winning formula but then failed to react when the competition countered with their own winning formula.

Was the Passport a unique device? Absolutely (and it still is). I believe the problem with BlackBerry is that during their glory days, people WANTED to own a BlackBerry because that was the cool, trendy thing to have. Since apps are now everything, iOS and Android have such an advantage that it's easy for them to draw companies in with so many apps emphasizing team collaboration.

Since BlackBerry just marketed the phone as a powerful work device, that's no longer what the general market desires, so it doesn't appeal the masses. Just a tragedy since I love all the different OS offerings from BB10, to Windows Phone, Android and iOS.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-16 12:36 PM
    Lmfao gtfoh no not that one

Posted via CB10 Passport
    12-12-16 02:44 PM
    I would pay a reasonable fee to have BlackBerry wipe my passport & put the android from Priv on it instead... in that case I would gleefully return to using it...
    12-12-16 02:57 PM
    Lol comparing 4S to Z30? When Z30 was released, I think it was the iPhone 6 era. Which phone didn't have quad core back then, except for a BlackBerry? And Z30's GPU was not high end.

Posted via CB10
    Wow you're totally right, come to think of it, it was my old *** 9930 I totally did not mean to say z10. I'll go back and edit that. The iPhone 4s and 9930 were released within months of each other and the blackberry had 50% more ram, ~20-30% more cpu, similar camera specs, similar onboard SD space PLUS expandable external SD, world class browser....

You're right, the z10 was much newer and much faster.

Posted via CB10 Passport
    12-12-16 08:36 PM
    I would pay a reasonable fee to have BlackBerry wipe my passport & put the android from Priv on it instead... in that case I would gleefully return to using it...
    LMAO man you are funny.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    12-13-16 02:46 PM
58 123