With the BB passport being so wide I find myself stretching to reach the other side when using the phone one handed.

I quickly mocked up some screen shots of what I would like to see for example the first shot, can i suggest that the camera and telephone be on both sides of the passport

The second shot the same thing the selection buttons on the bottom can be on both sides of the phone

Any thoughts ?

Screen Layout proposed changes for BB Passport-bb.jpgScreen Layout proposed changes for BB Passport-bb2.jpg
    05-22-15 08:38 AM
    I have just accepted that the Passport is a two handed phone. I think adding extra tools would be a mistake, as I would probably start touching them by accident.

Also, doesn't the keyboard have shortcuts to these?

Posted via CB Z30
    05-22-15 08:43 AM
    Use two hands already!

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 09:31 AM
    I have just accepted that the Passport is a two handed phone. I think adding extra tools would be a mistake, as I would probably start touching them by accident.

Also, doesn't the keyboard have shortcuts to these?

Posted via CB Z30
    Yes, you can use shortcuts for one handed use!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    05-22-15 01:40 PM
    http://innovators.vassar.edu/innovator.html?id=8
    With the BB passport being so wide I find myself stretching to reach the other side when using the phone one handed.

I quickly mocked up some screen shots of what I would like to see for example the first shot, can i suggest that the camera and telephone be on both sides of the passport

The second shot the same thing the selection buttons on the bottom can be on both sides of the phone

Any thoughts ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb.jpg 
Views:	1185 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	353969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb2.jpg 
Views:	1184 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	353970
    I like the idea: the width of the screen allows for duplicating the "out of reach" elements on both sides... but those changes affect only a couple of the ways that the Passport is not a one-handed device. I have gone on the record repeatedly about how BB10 is the touchscreen OS that is MOST optimized for one handed operation, but it's not fully one-handed (iPhone now has this 'double touch the home button to bring high things down so you can reach them' "Reachability" feature, but that's also not a complete solution.)

The complete solution for one handed operation is the Toolbelt. Everything else is partial, so how partial is partial? On the Passport, you risk dropping your device and breaking it if you try to do too much with only one hand: I wouldn't want a Passport user to believe that any one-handed operation is 'supported' or 'recommended': hold it in one hand, touch the screen with the other, and type with two thumbs. That's the use case for the Passport (without the toolbelt).

Slap a toolbelt on it and then only typing requires two hands (which is basically impossible with one hand). Why would I want to use two hands for something that only needs one hand with the toolbelt? I wouldn't. That's why I sold my Passport and await the Slider (better-optimized for one handed operation).

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu...hri131937.html
    05-22-15 02:47 PM
    No toolbelt. Terrible idea. As is duplicated phone icon. Passport is NOT a one-handed device. If you want that, then buy a Q10. Done!

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 05:05 PM
    I was wondering when you talk on the phone do you hold it with 2 hands as well?

Typing I agree is much easier with 2 hands,but quick and easy navigation is what I was looking to see improve.

Posted via CB10
    bodjor likes this.
    05-22-15 05:39 PM
    I like that you're accommodating both left and right handed people, but what about a preference to do one side or the other? That way, there's room for future quick buttons selected by the user.
    05-22-15 05:53 PM
    I am left handed but always have my Passport in my right hand

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.680
    05-22-15 05:58 PM
    I was wondering when you talk on the phone do you hold it with 2 hands as well?

Typing I agree is much easier with 2 hands,but quick and easy navigation is what I was looking to see improve.

Posted via CB10
    Why would I need to hold it with two hands when talking on the phone?!

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 06:18 PM
    Wow lots of haters here who clearly don't get it. How many which are saying NO are actually passport owners ?

I love your ideas OP!! BlackBerry MUST improve one hand usability of the passport for quick navigation, browsing and stuff like that. It CAN be done, quite easily actually, so there's no reason not to make it happen! There would be literally no downside.

As well I'd like to see the touch keyboard get new features to help navigate the OS!

Typing isn't always two hands btw, I often type with one hand when I'm sending short messages. The predictive type helps for that and it would be cool if they could also optimize it for optional one hand use.

I suspect the passport 2, if it ever comes to life, will address some one hand issues as well
    bodjor likes this.
    05-22-15 06:37 PM
    I don't have a problem using only one hand to navigate on my Passport, but I must admit, I got big hands

What they could is depending on which way you swipe then put the icons on one side.

I wouldn't like a smaller phone. The size is perfect for me.
    05-22-15 06:46 PM
    Wow lots of haters here who clearly don't get it. How many which are saying NO are actually passport owners ?

I love your ideas OP!! BlackBerry MUST improve one hand usability of the passport for quick navigation, browsing and stuff like that. It CAN be done, quite easily actually, so there's no reason not to make it happen! There would be literally no downside.

As well I'd like to see the touch keyboard get new features to help navigate the OS!

Typing isn't always two hands btw, I often type with one hand when I'm sending short messages. The predictive type helps for that and it would be cool if they could also optimize it for optional one hand use.

I suspect the passport 2, if it ever comes to life, will address some one hand issues as well
    I think it is a given that this is a two handed device! It's always nice to have ideas and I appreciate the effort, but they are redundant and not aesthetically attractive at all. There are keyboard shortcuts that can be used. Also, the touch keyboard on the Passport will soon have the ability to swipe up to close apps as well as navigate from the home screen duplicating the swipe gestures.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-15 08:21 PM
    I think it is a given that this is a two handed device! It's always nice to have ideas and I appreciate the effort, but they are redundant and not aesthetically attractive at all. There are keyboard shortcuts that can be used. Also, the touch keyboard on the Passport will soon have the ability to swipe up to close apps as well as navigate from the home screen duplicating the swipe gestures.

Posted via CB10
    What does that mean 'two handed device'? That's a ridiculous statement. It's a device and it can be made to be used with either one or two hands. Just like the iPhone 6+ is huge but still usable with one hand.

Navigating the home screen isn't going to do much to help one handed usability. The swipe gestures are not the problem with regards to that. Just like OP said, some icons are just placed in silly places. And he provided suggestions.

I think it would be best if the lower row of icons were brought closer to the center instead of being at the edge of the screen. This would also help with reducing the complaint of many that the camera is always opening.
    05-24-15 05:31 PM
    I disagree. If you want to use the phone, press and hold "P". If you want the camera, then use the icon in the lower-right corner. Very easy.

Posted via CB10
    scorepion likes this.
    05-24-15 06:16 PM
    BlackBerry Passport concept is inspired by the real passport document... try opening and reading some information from your passport document... and you will understand why 2-hand operation is a must...

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 08:33 PM
    BlackBerry Passport concept is inspired by the real passport document... try opening and reading some information from your passport document... and you will understand why 2-hand operation is a must...

Posted via CB10
    I guess you're right. Why did they even put a screen on this thing, they should have just put a few blank pages and wrote BlackBerry on the top of them. Then it would even closer to a real passport!

So are you saying you would ***hate*** it if the passport was very easy to use with one hand?

Regardless, we aren't just talking about the main screen but all the screens. Reaching the top of a z30 or passport on either corner is impossible with one hand save for some hand aerobics. And for some dumb reason a lot of menu options are there.
    05-24-15 08:51 PM