Is that beach close to hell? I would expect you being grilled before the screens gets problem.

 Posted via CB10 from my Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    Must to be close to Hell

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 02:54 AM
    There is now way the heat of the sun caused your Passport's screen to crack in 3-5 minutes from sun exposure! I suspect this wouldn't occur with any phone. I submit this is a bogus claim to say the least!

Posted via CB10
    will308 likes this.
    06-20-15 08:50 AM
    I guess the warranty is jut for 1 month, do you have the care protection plan?
    Etradesupply has it for 88$ search in ebay too, sometimes is better.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 09:11 AM
    A friend of mine had this happen to his LG G2. Was at a 4th of July cook out. He had his phone sitting on a table in direct sunlight for who knows how long and he grabbed it as he went inside to take a leak and as he was going, he heard it crack while still in his pocket. LG replaced the phone and said that the glass was faulty.

I also remember hearing reports of this happening to the rear glass on the Nexus 4. That wasn't Gorilla Glass though. Who knows, temperature changes can do weird things to glass.
    06-20-15 09:27 AM
    you left a $600 phone laying on the beach with no one around? And it wasn't stolen? I'm more impressed by that

but no one brought up the possibility that someone just stepped on it? Or an animal or something if not a person

I'm not impressed with the screen, when I tap it, it feels more plastic than glass to me... but even I find it hard to believe that the heat would crack it. Was the phone face down or face up? Wondering if it just didn't get placed poorly screen down, since the wind/breeze would cool the screen if it was up.

@edit above, that screen crack was from mishandling a heated glass, the crack came from the mechanical force of the leg/pocket, heat might have weakened it, but it didn't cause the crack
    06-20-15 09:32 AM
    As with all these claimms: the girl claiming the bottom right of her Passport melted from the overheatinng snnapdragonn 801 SoC, bennding phones, screenns lifting, and now heat ccracking a screen, people need to step back for a moment and think.

Would BblackBerry go through a year and more designing a phone and decide to build it with materials that melt? Ummm, no

Would Corninng glass be used on the majority of smartphones in the world if 3 minutes in the sun caused cracks? Nope

Would Qualcomm design a chip that ran so hot (the girl claimed the phone was still functional) that it melted stuff on the far opposite side of the phone? Nope, if temps got that high it'd likely be above the TJmax for the chip, destroy it, and render the phone useless.

If the OP is being brutally honnest and for sure knows he never dropped the device or introduced damage in any other way, then there is a slim possibility that the heat could've cracked it.

I called my buddy who makes glass for the world's largest telescopes and asked him. He said it's definitely possible that expansion could have introduced a crack, but it'll be hard to prove if it was user misuse or manufacturing defect.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    Jajaja funny to read this from poi25 after his post with the passport double typing being bought from att and no with no warranty to the rescue.

"Would BblackBerry go through a year and more designing a phone and decide to have some phones like q10 and Passport with issues with the keyboard double typing ? Ummm, yes"

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 10:23 AM
    Rules number 1. Never leave your phone faced up in the sun. Daaaaaaaaaamn
    06-20-15 10:44 AM
    Hey guys! So, it finally happened after months of taking care of my baby. The screen cracked! I was at the beach and left my phone out in the sun for perhaps 3 minutes (5 the most) as I went to my car and grabbed something. Came back and saw a crack. I knew IMMEDIATELY it was because of the heat. I almost wanted to die. I've never dropped her and has been the phone I've taken most care of. I absolutely love my passport but I'm sad that because of the heat it cracked and so easily. What are my options? Should I fight with BB? Where can I get a screen replacement. Mind you, the touch screen works fine, what cracked is the glass. Can I just replace the glass?

(I'll post pictures in a moment)

Attachment 358420
    Attachment 358421
    Attachment 358422
    Attachment 358423
    I have left mine in the sun for at least 40 50 mins before and nothing happened to mine .......I find at a bit strange for this too happen
    06-20-15 10:51 AM
    Unfortunately this is entirely possible when ANY glass is placed in direct sunlight for any length of time, it doesn't even have to be extremely hot, just hot. All there needs to be is a flaw or stress point in the glass and sudden expansion or contraction and the glass will crack no matter what the claimed strength or integrity. This is surprisingly common in automobile windshields and I've personally witnessed one literally explode on a brand new car.
    06-20-15 11:34 AM
    There's no chance BlackBerry will cover the damage; it resulted from customer negligence.

You can get a replacement screen and digitizer for around $100. Ebay has some.

How hot is it out there? I've had my phone in a car that was around 130�F without any issues.

Posted via CB10
    i don't think it was much the heat as it was the direct sunlight. probably says it in the passport manual.
    06-20-15 11:55 AM
    Jajaja funny to read this from poi25 after his post with the passport double typing being bought from att and no with no warranty to the rescue.

"Would BblackBerry go through a year and more designing a phone and decide to have some phones like q10 and Passport with issues with the keyboard double typing ? Ummm, yes"

Posted via CB10
    Don't see your logic, and your little made up sentence about BlackBerry deciding to make keyboards that double type makes no sense.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-20-15 12:05 PM
    Various possibilities have been discussed but I feel OP is on the road, alone, as far as warranty is concerned by Blackberry. While I do not condone the lousy workmanship and quality issues on part of Blackberry but it really sound like a defected Unit for whatever reasons. It is a costly hassle nevertheless. But all in all Passport is a solid workhorse and I have not heard many defects even on CB apart from screen lift.
    Around 15 days ago I left my Car out in sun without any shade whatsoever with Passport resting in the side recess of steering column. It was 1 O'clock when I parked and came back at 3 PM [I later saw the max temp was 43.3C or 110 F during peak time]. I picked up the phone and made contact with metal bezel and phone got dropped on carpet as the hot metal frame almost burned my finger. I imagine at that point of time the inside temp of car was not less than 52-54c /125-130.
    The thought of a cracked screen didn't cross my mind but I picked up the phone to inspect if there is any screen lifting from any corner. There was none. The phone app displaying but for some reason I just happen to start the camera and it hanged, nothing worked thereafter. I just kept it in neoprene sleeve hanging next to a/c vent and drove back to office as usual. In office I gave it a hard start and it went on to working normal, no issues whatsoever. I just gave this example so everyone can relate what it must be like for a phone or PP in this case to be left in 125F for nearly 3 hours of peak heat.
    I imagine some thermal sensor on motherboard must have kicked in and phone was already in a state of trance when I picked it and started camera ??
    06-20-15 01:26 PM
    Don't see your logic, and your little made up sentence about BlackBerry deciding to make keyboards that double type makes no sense.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    Yes, it might be confusing because I am just being sarcastic, the made up sentence was taken from your post but it was adjusted.

The truth is that I don't understand the reason you are trolling a user for having the screen cracked after aprox 10 min of sun exposure, after you are the one experiencing doble typing and received some bulling from other users.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 04:08 PM
    ...BlackBerry will check for forensic pressure points...
    06-20-15 08:56 PM
    a user posts a problem and get bullied - dang..
    06-21-15 06:27 AM
    Don't beat the guy. It could happen. I wonder how it was resolved though.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 06:48 AM
    I had a Q5 screen crack from being left in the -20 weather for 3 hours once. Then, about a month ago, I finished it off. Poor phone was a tank.
    06-21-15 08:53 AM
    i see people trying to help OP... but ok
    06-21-15 12:18 PM
    Funny how there is only one mention of a possible battery issue, and no one takes it seriously, but keeps bashing on the OP for the cracked screen. For those who know anything about batteries, they know that batteries do not like extreme heat. This causes the battery to expand and this could be a more likely reason why the screen cracked, and possibly why other screens lift and separate from the device. I would bet that the battery expanded enough to cause stress on the screen, which would cause the crack.
    06-21-15 12:32 PM
    Yes, it might be confusing because I am just being sarcastic, the made up sentence was taken from your post but it was adjusted.

The truth is that I don't understand the reason you are trolling a user for having the screen cracked after aprox 10 min of sun exposure, after you are the one experiencing doble typing and received some bulling from other users.

Posted via CB10
    You need to work on your reading comprehension skills. Where am I trolling? Last time I checked I'm just about the only one in this thread who believes him.

And yes, I understand you tweaking my sentence, but it still makes no sense, reread it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    06-21-15 02:36 PM
    Where are the pictures of the cracked screen he is claiming?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-15 02:45 PM
    He will never upload a single picture because they will show an impact point
    06-21-15 03:24 PM
    Maybe something/someone hit your phone.. ( where you alone on the beach?) and caused the screen crack.. But you didn't see it..

Posted via my awesome Classic
    06-21-15 04:14 PM
    When a user posts a problem but doesn't accompany said problem with evidence, chances of bullying increase exponentially. I've posted 2 threads now with the problems I've experienced: double typing and the state of a "brand new" device I just received. I added videos and pictures and got far less bullying.

It would help his case if he posted pictures. Not doing so raises suspicion. It would take him a whopping 10 minutes TOPS.
    06-21-15 04:43 PM
    When a user posts a problem but doesn't accompany said problem with evidence, chances of bullying increase exponentially. I've posted 2 threads now with the problems I've experienced: double typing and the state of a "brand new" device I just received. I added videos and pictures and got far less bullying.

It would help his case if he posted pictures. Not doing so raises suspicion. It would take him a whopping 10 minutes TOPS.
    Exactly. It would take only a little time to take pictures and present them. Especially when dealing with heat and glass. To claim that regular ol' sunlight can crack glass...never seen it in all my years.

Are you typing on the "new" Passport they sent you, Poi? Don't see any double-typing. Looks clean man.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    06-21-15 10:14 PM
90 1234