I have repaired phones/ tablets which required the screen to be taken off, which was glued. This was done by using a heat gun.
    Let me repeat that: a heat gun.

A ******* heat gun.

Directly to the screen. How many screens cracked because of it?
    Zero.

So yeah, I am pretty sure that sunlight can crack a screen...
    06-19-15 02:27 PM
    BlackBerry is dying if the listen to every noob on this forum.
    Every two noobs cost them close to thousand dollars: they have to give a free new phone, and they have a destroyed phone.
    So instead of making a few hundred, they lose close to a thousand.

-My screen came off!
    -my logo is rusting!!
    -my screen cracked because of sunlight!!

BlackBerry deserves it though, if they really are that stupid
    06-19-15 02:32 PM
    I am being honest, if I dropped it I would've admitted to it. I can take pictures of the edges and there are no scuffs or anything. My phone is pretty much intact. I always had a case on it.

Call it B.S. all you want, why would I lie? Plus, I wanted you all to be aware now that summer is around the corner to not leave your phone uncovered.

I left it on a bench and I came back and the crack was there, my fault for not having it in my pocket. I thought that wouldn't happen though.
    You left the phone unattended. You don't KNOW the heat caused this and its certainly not occams razor. Rocks, passerby, friend embarrassed they touched it and broke it, etc.

Posted via CB10
    FuzzyFish likes this.
    06-19-15 02:36 PM
    You left the phone unattended. You don't KNOW the heat caused this and its certainly not occams razor. Rocks, passerby, friend embarrassed they touched it and broke it, etc.

Posted via CB10
    It was a Tuesday and I don't live in a place like south beach where many people go..i went to a basic local beach. Plus..only three other friends were there and they were tanning. I know it wasn't them or anything. I'm 100% sure it was because I left my phone on the hot bench.

Posted via my first ever BlackBerry: Passport (white)
    06-19-15 02:43 PM
    It was a Tuesday and I don't live in a place like south beach where many people go..i went to a basic local beach. Plus..only three other friends were there and they were tanning. I know it wasn't them or anything. I'm 100% sure it was because I left my phone on the hot bench.

We're 100% sure you're mistaken that it was due to heat from the sun. But I don�t disagree it's because you left it unattended on a hot beach.
    06-19-15 03:35 PM
    Now that I think of it..i did have the AC on in my car...could the cold phone and the hot surface just cause it to crack?

06-19-15 03:45 PM
    Now that I think of it..i did have the AC on in my car...could the cold phone and the hot surface just cause it to crack?

No. From the documents I provided you:

"Based on plunging sample into cold water after oven heating resistance of 100C (212F), means no breakage if heated to 100C (230F) and plunged into water at 10C (50F). Tempered samples have over twice the resistance of annealed glass."

Your example is tame compared the extremes they talk about. No chance in hell. It's either a manufacturing defect in the glass which enabled some relatively low heating to crack it, or you mishandled the device unknowingly, weakening it, and again, somehow low-ish heating cracked it.

Can you be ABSOLUTELY, 100% certain that nothing happened physically between the time you set it down and you returned?

Edit: Definitely a chance in hell. Hell is hot as balls. But hell would melt the screen, not crack it
    06-19-15 03:58 PM
    I left mine on my porch in 95 degree direct sun. The metal sides were too hot to hold. I was really worried it would warp, and everything was working really slow when I got it inside until it cooled down. There could be many factors that led to a cracked screen. Hopefully they can replace for you.

It's funny you mentioned the AC. A lot of people reported the back glass of the Xperia z3 cracking when going from hot to cold on the Sony forums. Not sure what material that is made of, but anything is possible. The sun is a beast

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 04:12 PM
    I heard very similar story from cb. I just can't remember if that was classic or passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-19-15 04:18 PM
    I've been putting my Passport in my cars for hours in the scorching heat while I attend my classes and my screen hasn't cracked. Even when I come back and touch the phone it feel it's extremely hot like touching your steering wheels on a hot day but the screen didn't crack.

Not that I don't believe you op but can we see some pics of the crack. BlackBerry will check for forensic pressure points and if the picture proves there is no pressure point then you may have a valid argument.
    06-19-15 04:23 PM
    I'd like to see the kind of crack.
    Glass can crack for a number of reasons. But you'll never get warranty for it... but you can try
    06-19-15 04:28 PM
    I heard very similar story from cb. I just can't remember if that was classic or passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was for the Classic... Same soup, just reheated... Here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-i-do-1023170/

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 04:34 PM
    Maybe a football hit it or somebody sat on it......

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 04:46 PM
    biggest bull**** claim ever; heat cracking a screen.
    Well it happens, frien of mine had it happen to her ipad last summer

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 06:06 PM
    Well it happens, frien of mine had it happen to her ipad last summer

Posted via CB10
    I use this on a regular basis to remove iPad screens Screen cracked due to heat-mbx-zwvudd9i8nhxq6ki8bq.jpg

never once has the screen cracked. As a matter of fact; I can make a video of an iPad screen MELTING because of the heat gun, it will never crack because of it. Your friend dropped her iPad or she sat on it, or she had something in her bag press against it, she lied to you
    06-19-15 06:54 PM
    As with all these claimms: the girl claiming the bottom right of her Passport melted from the overheatinng snnapdragonn 801 SoC, bennding phones, screenns lifting, and now heat ccracking a screen, people need to step back for a moment and think.

Would BblackBerry go through a year and more designing a phone and decide to build it with materials that melt? Ummm, no

Would Corninng glass be used on the majority of smartphones in the world if 3 minutes in the sun caused cracks? Nope

Would Qualcomm design a chip that ran so hot (the girl claimed the phone was still functional) that it melted stuff on the far opposite side of the phone? Nope, if temps got that high it'd likely be above the TJmax for the chip, destroy it, and render the phone useless.

If the OP is being brutally honnest and for sure knows he never dropped the device or introduced damage in any other way, then there is a slim possibility that the heat could've cracked it.

I called my buddy who makes glass for the world's largest telescopes and asked him. He said it's definitely possible that expansion could have introduced a crack, but it'll be hard to prove if it was user misuse or manufacturing defect.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    krazyatom and anon9347040 like this.
    06-19-15 07:32 PM
    As with all these claimms: the girl claiming the bottom right of her Passport melted from the overheatinng snnapdragonn 801 SoC, bennding phones, screenns lifting, and now heat ccracking a screen, people need to step back for a moment and think.

Would BblackBerry go through a year and more designing a phone and decide to build it with materials that melt? Ummm, no

Would Corninng glass be used on the majority of smartphones in the world if 3 minutes in the sun caused cracks? Nope

Would Qualcomm design a chip that ran so hot (the girl claimed the phone was still functional) that it melted stuff on the far opposite side of the phone? Nope, if temps got that high it'd likely be above the TJmax for the chip, destroy it, and render the phone useless.

If the OP is being brutally honnest and for sure knows he never dropped the device or introduced damage in any other way, then there is a slim possibility that the heat could've cracked it.

I called my buddy who makes glass for the world's largest telescopes and asked him. He said it's definitely possible that expansion could have introduced a crack, but it'll be hard to prove if it was user misuse or manufacturing defect.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    Windshields don't crack in cold weather for the most part. But if there is a small fracture/crack, the cold makes it spread.

Obviously, any such case was weakened by a hairline fracture that got exacerbated by heat/cold. A perfectly manufactured defect free panel wouldn't fail under outdoor human livable temperature conditions. But the odds of a piece of stationary glass cracking under the sun in 3 minutes that humans were enjoying is slim to none. The hottest sun that we can withstand wouldn't be "extreme" temperature to cause a crack on its own.

It would have been really helpful if OP's screenshots were attached properly so we can actually see the crack start/end and for any skuff marks on the corners/edges.
    06-19-15 08:21 PM
    There's no chance BlackBerry will cover the damage; it resulted from customer negligence.

You can get a replacement screen and digitizer for around $100. Ebay has some.

How hot is it out there? I've had my phone in a car that was around 130�F without any issues.

Posted via CB10
    Your post completely contradicts itself.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 09:09 PM
    GET A PICTURE OF THAT CRACKED SCREEN POSTED.

I'd like to see what the crack looks like. And I'm sure more people would also.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 09:22 PM
    Windshields don't crack in cold weather for the most part. But if there is a small fracture/crack, the cold makes it spread.
    Thermal shock...

Hot water on a cold windshield? - Straight Dope Message Board
    06-19-15 09:29 PM
    Yes...

 Z3 STJ100-1 ~10.3.1.2576 ~
    06-19-15 09:32 PM
    The screen shouldn't crack that easily under the sun exposure for 3 to 5 minutes (even more!) and even someone near is playing a volleyball or basketball and accidentally hit your Passport. Unless it is struck with some thing harder than ball such as stone or steel...

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 10:41 PM
    Are u sure that ur screen cracked because of the heat? There was possibility someone stepped on ur phone or dropped something like rock on it while u were away from the phone?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 10:52 PM
    I use this on a regular basis to remove iPad screens Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mbX-zWvUdD9I8nhxq6KI8BQ.jpg 
Views:	1029 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	358538

never once has the screen cracked. As a matter of fact; I can make a video of an iPad screen MELTING because of the heat gun, it will never crack because of it. Your friend dropped her iPad or she sat on it, or she had something in her bag press against it, she lied to you
    I was there... it was in Spain, she put the ipad in the car (in the sun) and when we got back to the car about 4 hours later, we found the ipad with a cracked screen in the car... so no she didn't lie....

Posted via CB10
    06-20-15 01:43 AM
    I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that I personally believe the OP, but would never believe that girl in the other thread with the "melted" bottom corner from the SoC that looked like a drop.

I would appreciate some high resolution photos to look at and conduct ghetto-forensics on, but I do believe him. If we think about the sheer number of Gorilla Glass Panels made, there are bound to be statistically relevant percentages that are prone to cracking.

Now did the OP do something from daily handling of the Passport that led to further weakening? Probably, but unless he did drop it I would categorize that as normal wear and tear that exacerbated an already weaker than normal glass panel. Then he left it in the sun and boom, cracked screen.

Your warranty claim, if you decide to go down that route, rests on your ability to construct a worthwhile argument and how you conduct yourself with BlackBerry.

Good luck OP.
    XOrlando likes this.
    06-20-15 02:02 AM
90 1234