Hey guys! So, it finally happened after months of taking care of my baby. The screen cracked! I was at the beach and left my phone out in the sun for perhaps 3 minutes (5 the most) as I went to my car and grabbed something. Came back and saw a crack. I knew IMMEDIATELY it was because of the heat. I almost wanted to die. I've never dropped her and has been the phone I've taken most care of. I absolutely love my passport but I'm sad that because of the heat it cracked and so easily. What are my options? Should I fight with BB? Where can I get a screen replacement. Mind you, the touch screen works fine, what cracked is the glass. Can I just replace the glass?

(I'll post pictures in a moment)

Attachment 358420
    Attachment 358421
    Attachment 358422
    Attachment 358423
    06-19-15 09:44 AM
    Wow, sorry for that. Another learning point. I believe the screen could be replaced call your carrier or local store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    06-19-15 09:47 AM
    Claim warranty first

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2252 | CB Mod
    06-19-15 09:51 AM
    My phone is unlocked, I have T-Mobile. How do I claim warranty? I'm new to all this so forgive me. She's only 4 months old; she's just a baby!
    06-19-15 09:53 AM
    06-19-15 09:53 AM
    My phone is unlocked, I have T-Mobile. How do I claim warranty? I'm new to all this so forgive me. She's only 4 months old; she's just a baby!
    Did you buy the device new?

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-19-15 11:24 AM
    Did you buy the device new?

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    Yes sir! Brand new! I got my receipts! I bought it back for the Presidents day sale.
    06-19-15 11:37 AM
    Yes sir! Brand new! I got my receipts! I bought it back for the Presidents day sale.
    Call the 800 nnumbber, you should be good.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-19-15 11:40 AM
    There's no chance BlackBerry will cover the damage; it resulted from customer negligence.

You can get a replacement screen and digitizer for around $100. Ebay has some.

How hot is it out there? I've had my phone in a car that was around 130�F without any issues.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 11:46 AM
    This is Gorilla Glas, no? 3-5 Minutes in the sun and you get a crack in the display?

Is that beach close to hell? I would expect you being grilled before the screens gets problem.

Just wondering...

Heading to California soon and know it will be hot. So thinking about protection now.

 Posted via CB10 from my Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    06-19-15 11:53 AM
    Wow, wasn't there a post about this happening to someone else last week?

Posted via my OGBBPP!
    06-19-15 11:57 AM
    There's no chance BlackBerry will cover the damage; it resulted from customer negligence.

You can get a replacement screen and digitizer for around $100. Ebay has some.

How hot is it out there? I've had my phone in a car that was around 130•F without any issues.
    I disagree. Gorilla Glass wouldn't be on just about every smartphone in the world if it cracked when placed in the sun for 3-5 minutes. Use that thinking cap, zehkaiser.

Not totally sure I'm reading this correctly, but please see http://www.quartz.com/pxtherm.pdf and http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/u...0613(1)(1).pdf and look at thermal temps. This is quite interesting too, and his situation wasn't nearly as extreme, so I'd say it was a bad panel:

"Based on plunging sample into cold water after oven heating resistance of 100C (212F), means no breakage if heated to 100C (230F) and plunged into water at 10C (50F). Tempered samples have over twice the resistance of annealed glass."

The "strain point" which represents extreme upper limit of serviceability for Gorilla Glass 3 is 574C. There are other factors that come into play when we talk about smartphone glass cracking/shattering, but if the OP is being honest I would say the panel was defective.
    06-19-15 12:08 PM
    Strange thing for such a tough glass to break that easily. .
    To my experience, passport glass is the most durable I've experienced till today, and I've tried several BlackBerry models, Samsung galaxy's and iPhones.
    As a confirmation to the above, just to mention that I had an accident a month ago (fell from 2.5 meters height) with my passport in my jeans back pocket. Although the phone bent itself and the screen lifted, but the glass remained intact.
    After that and having decided to get a new passport, I showed little care handling it carefully. In a more than a few cases I accidentally dropped my phone from approximately a meter high without a scratch.
    Long story short, I regard gorilla glass 3 to be extra strong and resistant to hardships.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 12:30 PM
    biggest bull**** claim ever; heat cracking a screen.
    06-19-15 01:10 PM
    I disagree. Gorilla Glass wouldn't be on just about every smartphone in the world if it cracked when placed in the sun for 3-5 minutes. Use that thinking cap, zehkaiser.

Not totally sure I'm reading this correctly, but please see http://www.quartz.com/pxtherm.pdf and http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/u...0613(1)(1).pdf and look at thermal temps. This is quite interesting too, and his situation wasn't nearly as extreme, so I'd say it was a bad panel:

"Based on plunging sample into cold water after oven heating resistance of 100C (212F), means no breakage if heated to 100C (230F) and plunged into water at 10C (50F). Tempered samples have over twice the resistance of annealed glass."

The "strain point" which represents extreme upper limit of serviceability for Gorilla Glass 3 is 574C. There are other factors that come into play when we talk about smartphone glass cracking/shattering, but if the OP is being honest I would say the panel was defective.
    I am being honest, if I dropped it I would've admitted to it. I can take pictures of the edges and there are no scuffs or anything. My phone is pretty much intact. I always had a case on it.

Call it B.S. all you want, why would I lie? Plus, I wanted you all to be aware now that summer is around the corner to not leave your phone uncovered.

I left it on a bench and I came back and the crack was there, my fault for not having it in my pocket. I thought that wouldn't happen though.
    BBRYQ10 and RoboticGolem like this.
    06-19-15 01:35 PM
    More likely the battery swelled due to the heat and cracked the screen from behind. How's your battery life been?

Posted via CB10
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    06-19-15 01:39 PM
    It's regularly 95-115 F here in northern California and I drive a rig with no AC. I doubt the screen cracked from heat due to sun exposure.
    06-19-15 01:40 PM
    I am being honest, if I dropped it I would've admitted to it. I can take pictures of the edges and there are no scuffs or anything. My phone is pretty much intact. I always had a case on it.

Call it B.S. all you want, why would I lie? Plus, I wanted you all to be aware now that summer is around the corner to not leave your phone uncovered.

I left it on a bench and I came back and the crack was there, my fault for not having it in my pocket. I thought that wouldn't happen though.
    Is there a chance the frame is a little bit twisted? I would think there'd have to be just a little bit more stress on it than heat alone.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-15 01:40 PM
    Why are you quoting me and saying I'm calling you a liar? I supported your claim and provided you some information to back it up. DeRedder is the troll who loves to call everyone "noob" and screams "bull****!" all the time. He tried giving me a hard time about double typing, finally backing down after seeing the video proof in my thread.

Your whole claim will rest on honesty, that's all I'm saying.
    06-19-15 01:41 PM
    More likely the battery swelled due to the heat and cracked the screen from behind. How's your battery life been?

Posted via CB10
    The other night I went to bed and my charge was 70% woke up and it was down to like 25%. So I guess it's not like the first day.
    06-19-15 01:42 PM
    Why are you quoting me and saying I'm calling you a liar? I supported your claim and provided you some information to back it up. DeRedder is the troll who loves to call everyone "noob" and screams "bull****!" all the time. He tried giving me a hard time about double typing, finally backing down after seeing the video proof in my thread.
    Sorry I know you were defending me. I was referring to another poster.
    06-19-15 01:42 PM
    Glass is shaped and forged by heat. Heat does not crack glass. I posted yesterday about my Passport being in my service van for three hours subjected to extreme heat. The phone survived with flying colors. The heat did not crack my glass.

You can try to make a warranty claim if you want. I can tell you with near certainty though, the claim may not be approved. It may very well be marked as customer misuse and denied.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    FuzzyFish likes this.
    06-19-15 01:44 PM
    Glass is shaped and forged by heat. Heat does not crack glass. I posted yesterday about my Passport being in my service van for three hours subjected to extreme heat. The phone survived with flying colors. The heat did not crack my glass.

You can try to make a warranty claim if you want. I can tell you with near certainty though, the claim may not be approved. It may very well be marked as customer misuse and denied.

True, BUT if the panel was already weakenned through a number of possible factors, inncludinng but nnot limited to manufaccturing defeccts or customer misuse, I'm guessinng heat could possibly cracck it (I know nothinng about glass though).

How'd everything work out regarding your family member's phonne?

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-19-15 01:51 PM
    True, BUT if the panel was already weakenned through a number of possible factors, inncludinng but nnot limited to manufaccturing defeccts or customer misuse, I'm guessinng heat could possibly cracck it (I know nothinng about glass though).

How'd everything work out regarding your family member's phonne?

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    It is possible, but I've never seen it. I spent my high school summer breaks working in my uncle's glass shop making custom windows. Glass is shaped and forged with heat, high temperature. Higher than external solar exposure. If a hairline crack was already forming, the possibility is there albeit a small one.

As far as my cousin's faulty Classic, he walked out of the Rogers store with a new unit and the staff were educated in the subject of customer care and the legal consequences that may occur when you blame the customer for damage caused by the service depot.

Just like in your case and in my cousin's case, you have to persevere sometimes in order to see a positive outcome. Hopefully this is a lesson many on this site will learn when it comes to seeking out service for their defective devices.

06-19-15 02:15 PM
    I work at a big operator ( Mobile Save and Complaince department) and in twenty years I never hear about screens that are cracking, I think something happen with your Phone before you get it in the sun or just in between? Good luck with you screen anyway.
    06-19-15 02:19 PM
90 123 ...