12-26-14 06:56 AM
295 ... 678910 ...
tools
    As an Engineering major (although only computer, not mechanical, so I am not qualified to scientifically analyze the structure) I am no longer surprised about weird stories like this. To put it bluntly, "Crap" happens. You can never underestimate the laws of probability - with enough monkeys on enough typewriters over enough time we can write Shakespeare.

Having a PP I know it is probably the most robust hunk of metal phone I have ever seen, but all it takes is the one awkward angle in just the right spot with just the right amount of force and pretty much anything will bend. Doesn't have to be common, and we may never see it again for years, but I do not doubt it happened.

As you can see in his picture, the phone did not bend along a normal structural line like the IP6 - it bent on a weird diagonal. If you look at the frame and chassis picture I posted, even without a degree in structural engineering you can see that while it may be impressively strong with horizontal or vertical force, a diagonal torsional force will have a much easier time bending the phone.

FWIW I am also pretty sure he can take it apart and bend it back and still use it, but keep in mind once it has bent it will never be quite as strong again and will be more prone to bend in exactly the same manner again in the future.
    Carjackd, keepit dry and mornhavon like this.
    11-28-14 12:07 AM
    Except all the skeptics seem to do it with no problems ever.

Look, I don't care one way or another. Enjoy your day, but at the end of it all, this is just another one of the countless threads by someone looking for help derailed by all the fanbois getting ultra defensive.
    keepit dry and eyesopen1111 like this.
    11-28-14 12:09 AM
    Except all the skeptics seem to do it with no problems ever.

Look, I don't care one way or another. Enjoy your day, but at the end of it all, this is just another one of the countless threads by someone looking for help derailed by all the fanbois getting ultra defensive.
    Derailed by Blackberry fanbois or Apple fanbois? My guess is both.

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    Vorkosigan and ponpiri like this.
    11-28-14 12:11 AM
    I said good day.
    11-28-14 12:12 AM
    I said, i have read the entire thread...which included your posts but thanks for reiterating.

"Official International Accountant of the Peevishlicious Crew " via my Canadian Passport!!
    11-28-14 12:15 AM
    Wow what a thread..... I'm just going add positive advice here... do NOT put in vice to bend back (speaking as a senior mechanical engineer here)... suggest keeping the pp for awhile and just wait for good cases to be released....
    I have a pp and I'm freaking paranoid with it, such a large chunk of machinery is just begging to be damaged in one way or another.

Ten BlackBerrys and counting....
    11-28-14 12:38 AM
    As a last resort if they won't warranty it you could probably take it apart and bend the frame back. Its a single stainless frame that doubles as an antenna around the whole phone, with the actual inner chassis screwed to the outer frame and rest of the components mounted to that. Since the phone still works it looks like nothing inside is damaged.

Still don't know how you managed to bend this thing, it feels like a brick lol.
    http://i.imgur.com/tSXSVMV.png?1

IP6+ feels like a chinese happy meal toy in comparison.
    The frame does NOT double as an antenna.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 02:19 AM
    No it shows that the user is obese.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty ignorant remark

Posted via CB10
    BBjer and keepit dry like this.
    11-28-14 06:04 AM
    Pretty ignorant remark

Posted via CB10
    Yes. That's why I changed it in another post to a fact that over half of North America is fat. Because in the end neither you or I know whether said person is Obese. I myself am a touch on the heavy side too. Wheelchairs do that.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 07:59 AM
    My advice would be that if your Passport does get bent for whatever reason, do not under any circumstances come to the CrackBerry Forums for advice nor consolation unless you are willing to be accused of fraud, being obese, careless, ignorant, wearer of skinny jeans, etc. Whether or not you are obese be prepared to have the obesity problem in your country discussed.
    11-28-14 08:18 AM
    My advice would be that if your Passport does get bent for whatever reason, do not under any circumstances come to the CrackBerry Forums for advice nor consolation unless you are willing to be accused of fraud, being obese, careless, ignorant, wearer of skinny jeans, etc. Whether or not you are obese be prepared to have the obesity problem in your country discussed.
    Don't forget borrowing your sister's pants and being a thread derailer regardless of the fact those who launched the insults were BlackBerry enthusiasts.

Poor guy bends his phone and posts to seek help, not complain, and instantly finds insults, incredulity, and attacks hurled his way.

Lovely.

And isn't the OP Australian? Did I read that incorrectly? And he weighs like 80 kgs? Which is roughly 180 pounds? If so what does the American obesity problem have to do with the price of tea in China?

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    11-28-14 08:32 AM
    10 pages about nothing.....

Posted via CB10
    AndyYNWA, Carjackd and ponpiri like this.
    11-28-14 08:37 AM
    There's a lot of idiots on here, who have more money than brains. Let them flap their mouths all they want. Makes them look even more like idiots.

Lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 08:38 AM
    Whose the carrier and did you get device protection? Covers water and other accidental damage (drops etc)

We are with Telus and have that on all our phones. My son dropped his Q10 in the toilet and was water damaged. We paid the deductible and we were sent s new phone. Something to consider for future phone purchase. These phones are so big these days the only pockets we can use are ones that will lead to incidents like yours.

BOL

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    11-28-14 09:01 AM
    Don't forget borrowing your sister's pants and being a thread derailer regardless of the fact those who launched the insults were BlackBerry enthusiasts.

Poor guy bends his phone and posts to seek help, not complain, and instantly finds insults, incredulity, and attacks hurled his way.

Lovely.

And isn't the OP Australian? Did I read that incorrectly? And he weighs like 80 kgs? Which is roughly 180 pounds? If so what does the American obesity problem have to do with the price of tea in China?

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    Yup. Pretty sad state of affairs.

As an avid BlackBerry user... it's all I've used for over eleven years (I'll bet you fanboys who label guys like me as the "BlackBerry can do no right crowd" never guessed that)... I'm embarrassed by the crud launched toward OP in this thread.

And guess what? I'm an engineer... structural analysis type... I take very good care of my phones... yet my Passport is slightly bent from a similar unfortunate incident. And I happen to weigh only 77 kg... 170 lbs... Geez I wonder what's gonna be launched at me now?

While it is a very robust device, any metal can experience permanent deformation.

Posted via CB10
    keepit dry, mornhavon and Carjackd like this.
    11-28-14 12:24 PM
    OMG phone looks nasty, #bentgate comes into my mind lol

Passport display lifting after a while i heard many times even without bending it.

Seems there are quality problems, think better i wait some months until the price is right and all the problems are ironed out and then buy?!?
    11-28-14 02:19 PM
    What's with these terms people invent? "Bendgate"? Does this mean someone tried to bend a gate? Come on people... say what you mean, and stop using these ludicrous invented terms/words. it doesn't make any sense.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 03:06 PM
    While it is a very robust device, any metal can experience permanent deformation.
    Exactly. The problem is that so many fanaticals here jumped on Apple for a very small number of iPhone 6 devices that bent. Now that the same thing happened to a BlackBerry they can't admit that any device can bend. Instead they just deny that it happened.

Posted via CB10
    AndyYNWA likes this.
    11-28-14 04:01 PM
    Wow this thread just got..... wow

OP I don't know if you're even still following this thread, I really sorry about your passport.
    I would suggest direct messaging @BlackBerryhelp on twitter.
    Tell them your story send them your pics, they are generally pretty good at answering and if anyone should be able to point you in the right direction it should be them.
    Good luck

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    11-28-14 04:39 PM
    Yup. Pretty sad state of affairs.

As an avid BlackBerry user... it's all I've used for over eleven years (I'll bet you fanboys who label guys like me as the "BlackBerry can do no right crowd" never guessed that)... I'm embarrassed by the crud launched toward OP in this thread.

And guess what? I'm an engineer... structural analysis type... I take very good care of my phones... yet my Passport is slightly bent from a similar unfortunate incident. And I happen to weigh only 77 kg... 170 lbs... Geez I wonder what's gonna be launched at me now?

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to hear your phone got bent.
    Have you thought of making a pouch for inside your Hard hat? That's where I keep mine.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 05:05 PM
    With any electronic device that is bent, when bending back most likely the glass will break. Also the circuit board will most likely have the conductors stressed and break during the reverse bend. This is like taking a piece of brittle metal, bending it, and then bending it back. It "snaps".

If you try to bend it back, you are taking a gamble if it will still be okay. Also, when bending most anything back, most of the time it will never come back perfect. The reverse bending torque would have to exactly match in position, rate, and strength.

Do you have damage insurance for your phone? Where I bought my phone I was able to insure it. They put a deductible on it that I would have to pay. I think it is in the range of $170. The phone sells over here for about $800.
    11-28-14 05:21 PM
    It's bent but not because he sat on it

Posted via BBM Premium
    BBjer likes this.
    11-28-14 05:37 PM
    It's bent but not because he sat on it

Posted via BBM Premium
    And going and going...

Sat on my Passport in back pocket-large.jpg

Posted via CB10
    11-28-14 08:15 PM
    The frame does NOT double as an antenna.

Posted via CB10
    Yes it does.
    11-28-14 08:51 PM
    Bendberry
    11-28-14 11:20 PM
295 ... 678910 ...