12-26-14 05:56 AM
295 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Lol why would you sit on a phone?
    11-25-14 08:41 AM
    Excuse me but I am not a patient reader and certainly not when my BS detector is activated.

No offense but I am just doubtful about the scenario about the mentioned overweight and the hard car seat.

Posted via CB10
    The guy made a mistake. He forgot the phone was in his pocket. He sat down. Sometimes, when the angles are just right, a tremendous amount of pressure can be created by a relatively light weight person sitting on a relatively soft surface. I admit, at first, I was quite doubtful of the story as it took quite some time for the OP to post pictures. But once he did, it appeared quite clear and quite probable that he had an unfortunate accident, and damaged his brand new pride and joy. The fact so many people are attacking him and mocking him is proof not of any fault with the OP, but clear evidence that this community has deteriorated to an unfortunate level. Sad.
    11-25-14 08:45 AM
    OP, you need to check with your credit card company, most offer protection for accidents at the beginning, worth checking into.
    11-25-14 10:55 AM
    I have a person in my local area who is going to work on it to fix it for me. And I'm going to look for a hosted holder so it doesn't happen again.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 11:02 AM
    Sorry to hear it but how the heck did you bend a stainless steel frame like that?

"May I see your Passport please?"
    11-25-14 11:08 AM
    Excuse me but I am not a patient reader and certainly not when my BS detector is activated.

No offense but I am just doubtful about the scenario about the mentioned overweight and the hard car seat.

Posted via CB10
    Then perhaps a wee bit of patience would be a good thing to try to cultivate. He did post pictures so the event did happen. And there are two more folks who have similar statements.

Phones do bend. Metal does give. No reason to accuse a poster of making false statements when he is explaining his experience. Especially when there was nothing inflammatory in his post to begin with.

Thing happen, folks. Given force in the wrong place, obviously, even the Passport can bend. Stainless steel and all.
    11-25-14 11:10 AM
    What this show is that although there will be some people who will try to help someone with advice, there are plenty that would rather throw them under the bus than believe that the Passport will bend just like any other smartphone.

The lesson for me is that Winter is here and jeans are usually less forgiving than shorts when it comes to this so I'm going to pretty much try to not pocket my smartphone anywhere in my pants. On the console of my truck I now have one of those sticky pads that reminds me that I should put my phone on it when I get in.
    tuxedo323, TGR1, kirson and 4 others like this.
    11-25-14 11:11 AM
    @dejanh

You know, your dismantling pictures might be good to post here, for reference, and to see if where the phone bent is where you thought you saw weakness in the design.
    Last edited by zocster; 11-25-14 at 11:40 AM. Reason: quoted deleted post
    Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    11-25-14 11:14 AM
    Peeps, just a quick reminder, discussing other forum member's status in any thread or posts does not help with the topic. Just report the offending post/posts and let us handle the situation.
    11-25-14 11:49 AM
    What this show is that although there will be some people who will try to help someone with advice, there are plenty that would rather throw them under the bus than believe that the Passport will bend just like any other smartphone.

The lesson for me is that Winter is here and jeans are usually less forgiving than shorts when it comes to this so I'm going to pretty much try to not pocket my smartphone anywhere in my pants. On the console of my truck I now have one of those sticky pads that reminds me that I should put my phone on it when I get in.
    Good post. Knowledge not shared is experience lost. At least someone has a good take away from this.

From the days of yore, when 'Black'Berrys were Blue.
    11-25-14 12:00 PM
    Some of these posts are ridiculous. And they seem to be from people with enough posts on here to not be classed as new as well. Are all you complainers so blinkered that you don't think a phone can bend when put under stress? Do you really believe the Passport is built so amazingly well that the mild steel inside can't bend at all? The Passport is very well built, yes. But it is not a solid lump that is impervious to damage, and if you think it is, then poor you.

I honestly came to this site, now I have a passport, hopeful that the members were more mature and sensible than on some Android forums out there. But this thread (or t least the daft posts) makes me think it is about the same really.
    PygmySurfer, gvs1341 and MorgothPT like this.
    11-25-14 12:08 PM
    The guy made a mistake. He forgot the phone was in his pocket. He sat down. Sometimes, when the angles are just right, a tremendous amount of pressure can be created by a relatively light weight person sitting on a relatively soft surface. I admit, at first, I was quite doubtful of the story as it took quite some time for the OP to post pictures. But once he did, it appeared quite clear and quite probable that he had an unfortunate accident, and damaged his brand new pride and joy. The fact so many people are attacking him and mocking him is proof not of any fault with the OP, but clear evidence that this community has deteriorated to an unfortunate level. Sad.
    The high and mighty judgmental level is unbelievable.

Slow to post pics? Hello, wtf if OP isn't in your time zone??

It is very easy to forget the phone and throw yourself into your seat. If by ill luck the phone is positioned wrong that can be a lot of force in a small area. It happens.

OP, good luck on contacting Mr. Chen. I think it is well worth the try given the CEO opened his mouth. Can't hurt.
    11-25-14 12:14 PM

Very good point about the jeans. Absolutely no give to such stiff material.
    11-25-14 12:16 PM
    I weigh 79 kgs so not heavy. I'm in Australia so I will ask them what they can do. I don't think, the service is very good here.

Posted via CB10
    My only thought is, wow, you must have a rock hard a$$. Good for you.

Posted via CB10
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    11-25-14 12:26 PM
    ....suspicious to say the least, just as I give my humble opinion. A Crackberry newbie, with a Passport, based on the pics, your hands/fingers appear to be rather slim and thin, which leads me to believe that you are not a very large person and not heavy by any means. The bend seems not to be so possible on an avg. car seat cushion, and having the Passport in the back pocket even while standing couldn't be very comfortable because of its sharp edges. It would be difficult to forget its there also because of its width. The "I" frame stainless steel chassis would be hard to compromise generally, perhaps maybe sitting on a solid/hard surface, but even still it would definitely remind the person who would first bend to sit that the phone is there based on the pressure points against the buttocks before sitting. A soft surface such as a car seat, is unlikely especially with an avg sized or smaller person to bend this phone, shall we give you the benefit of the doubt that this wasn't done in a vice purposely and that this was a random, natural occurrence?.........sure why not, anything is possible!
    11-25-14 12:48 PM
    ....suspicious to say the least, just as I give my humble opinion. A Crackberry newbie, with a Passport, based on the pics, your hands/fingers appear to be rather slim and thin, which leads me to believe that you are not a very large person and not heavy by any means. The bend seems not to be so possible on an avg. car seat cushion, and having the Passport in the back pocket even while standing couldn't be very comfortable because of its sharp edges. It would be difficult to forget its there also because of its width. The "I" frame stainless steel chassis would be hard to compromise generally, perhaps maybe sitting on a solid/hard surface, but even still it would definitely remind the person who would first bend to sit that the phone is there based on the pressure points against the buttocks before sitting. A soft surface such as a car seat, is unlikely especially with an avg sized or smaller person to bend this phone, shall we give you the benefit of the doubt that this wasn't done in a vice purposely and that this was a random, natural occurrence?.........sure why not, anything is possible!
    Why on earth would you think anyone would do this in a vice?

The OP hasn't been angry at the Passport or claimed Blackberry suck etc etc, so it can't have been done just to troll people. So why would you mention doing it in a vice on purpose?
    11-25-14 12:52 PM
    @dejanh

You know, your dismantling pictures might be good to post here, for reference, and to see if where the phone bent is where you thought you saw weakness in the design.
    I can answer this actually without the pictures being here. It's not. The weak part of the frame is on the X-axis (width wise) as the stainless steel frame is quite thin on the top and the bottom. The phone is structurally weak diagonally as a result so pushing the upper corner down and the diagonally opposite lower corner up or vice-versa will cause the phone to flex on the diagonal. This can lead to the adhesive failing and the screen coming apart because the glass slab will not bend with the rest of the phone.

I think that this is simply the case of too much pressure being applied in a very concentrated spot. It's a freak accident.
    11-25-14 12:58 PM
    ....suspicious to say the least, just as I give my humble opinion.
    I have done my own online investigation and I think the OP might be using the same IP address as Morgan Stanley's James Faucette!! I think you've uncovered a conspiracy!
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-25-14 01:12 PM
    May the truth set you free.

Would be interesting to know how much pressure it would take to bend the Passport.

Seems fishy to me.. but anything is possible.
    11-25-14 01:28 PM
    We are all obligated to use our phone responsibly. Why are humans so evolve to think phones and other electronics are indestructible therefore giving us a reason to sit on them. Imagine sitting on your iPad or tablet. Would you do it on purpose?

I used to work for a phone store and the stats is 99% of the phone that are brought in to be repaired are either physical or liquid damage. Sitting on your phone is considered physical damage and sorry to say it is not covered under warranty.

I'm glad to see the op isn't taking this personally and not going on a rant about it. He's just as guilty as anyone knowing the fact that sitting on a phone will have repercussion. At least he's honest unlike some of the other iPhone 6 users claiming they have put the phone in their front pocket and it naturally bends.
    11-25-14 01:38 PM
    Damn, that sucks. I'd see if BlackBerry will fix it for free or a reasonable fee. If not, DIY.

FWIW, I broke the screen on my Z10 two weeks after I got it. Didn't see it in the car trunk (boot to some of you). Car is VW EOS w/ retractable hard top. Nice day, so put the top down, right? The Z10 was sitting -EXACTLY- where the hinge of the retraction mechanism comes down.

Luckily, it was only the screen. There's a couple of how to's on ordering and replacing....voila! Good as new.
    11-25-14 01:39 PM
    So they do bend as well.... Looks like not any better than iPhone 6.
    the bad things is that Blackberry is not like Apple that will replace it for you no question asked
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    11-25-14 03:29 PM
    The difference is that shoving the phone up your *** is not real use nor you can bend it with your hands, while the iphone6 can bend in your pockets and can be bent easily by hand

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    the thing is that it does not bend just lies spread by stupid bb fanboys
    11-25-14 03:31 PM
    It's a real miracle more phones don't blow up the battery when they get bent. There have been incidents and injuries, but not as many as you'd expect.
    If the OP does attempt a home fix, try to take precautions on disconnecting the power cell or removing it entirely. Or at least wear eye, hand and skin protection and be in well ventilated area. You don't want fizzing lithium metal vapors in your lungs!

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 03:35 PM
    The passport is very comfortable in the back pocket, it's where I keep mine. It will bend back, no doubt about that, unlike the Iphones aluminum structure that does not return to form, the Passports mild steel chassis will indeed bend back. Just place the back of the phone on two objects, like two hard cover books, then take a cloth, cover the screen, then place another rigid hard cover book on top and press down evenly till it gets to where it looks good. You may break your screen but that is very easy to replace. a compared to the whole phone. Before you do any of this you need to call blackberry and let em know, they may replace it after all.
    11-25-14 05:10 PM
295 ... 23456 ...