Samsung's foldable sure looks like a Passport-5be345278c35ab5aa5783bba-1136-852.jpg

First thing I thought when I saw this: “looks like a full screen Passport.”

Second thing I though: “if android screen ratio isn’t an issue, maybe one of the BlackBerry licensees can whip out a Passport 2.0 (3.0?)”

I miss my Passport and am tired of the same slab form factors...and the Key-series just aren’t doing it for me...

eh.
    02-18-19 07:25 AM
    Meh. It looks more like LG's Optimus Vu.
    Attached Thumbnails Samsung's foldable sure looks like a Passport-img_20190218_213315.jpg  
    02-18-19 07:35 AM

I miss my Passport and am tired of the same slab form factors...and the Key-series just aren’t doing it for me...

eh.
    Looks like there are a number of unusual form factors coming.... and TCL is one of the companies that are working on some foldable screens. Maybe they'll incorporate them into a BlackBerry....

But pricing and durability are still something that I wonder about....
    Jason Page likes this.
    02-18-19 08:20 AM
    Looks like there are a number of unusual form factors coming.... and TCL is one of the companies that are working on some foldable screens. Maybe they'll incorporate them into a BlackBerry....

I'm assuming you'll be selling organs and body parts to buy a foldable phone. As for durability, I for one will not be an early adopter. Prove to me these hinges and the screen can take the abuse then we'll talk.

Besides, if it's not a BlackBerry, I'm not interested.
    moosbb and i_plod_an_dr_void like this.
    02-18-19 08:23 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5be345278c35ab5aa5783bba-1136-852.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	443058

Second thing I though: “if android screen ratio isn’t an issue, maybe one of the BlackBerry licensees can whip out a Passport 2.0 (3.0?)”

eh.
    If BBMo added a slider-keyboard I would buy it.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    02-19-19 10:54 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5be345278c35ab5aa5783bba-1136-852.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	443058

eh.
    Again - because someone new always comes in thinking otherwise - that screen is 4x3.

1:1 screen on the Passport would still be an issue.
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-19-19 11:50 AM
    @joeldf i think because i'm old i may be missing something in your comment but today's android api allows for 1:1 ratios (android wear is 1:1 btw) and now that notches and hole punches are a thing, i'm sure a fuller screen passport with the same three row keyboard is a tad more than 1:1 ratio...but i'd have to measure it.

i'm not suggesting doing the standard "why can't i just install android on my (current) passport??" thing i've read many times in the past (and i included myself in that noise from back in 2015 when i got my passport). but i think now, in today's current android development environment, certainly a lot more is possible. but i'm an oldz who's bored and learning to code and doing my reading here: https://material.io/tools/devices/
    Jake2826 likes this.
    02-19-19 08:13 PM
    Yea. I'm starting to think BlackBerry Mobile could do a Passport 2, after looking at that older LG Optimus Vu with the 4x3 ratio display.Samsung's foldable sure looks like a Passport-a749ce3a492a267dd650c0765741d862-1200-80.jpeg
    Jason Page and ratfinkstooley like this.
    02-19-19 08:29 PM
    Rumors have started in some social spheres that BB TCL is working on it.
    Jake2826 and the_boon like this.
    02-19-19 09:59 PM
    Rumors have started in some social spheres that BB TCL is working on it.
    Like what?

There is talk of TCL working on foldable screens... just not sure what they will do with them. They aren't in the luxury phone business, and everything I've seen on foldable screens indicates that they will be expensive. Entry level at $1000 and top of the line might be over $2000...

If they built a Passport 2, it would be a fixed screen with the 4x3 display and would be unwieldy and expensive (but not $1,500 expensive). Think the PRIV2 has a better shot... behind the PlayBook2.
    02-20-19 08:28 AM
    @joeldf i think because i'm old i may be missing something in your comment but today's android api allows for 1:1 ratios (android wear is 1:1 btw) and now that notches and hole punches are a thing, i'm sure a fuller screen passport with the same three row keyboard is a tad more than 1:1 ratio...but i'd have to measure it.

i'm not suggesting doing the standard "why can't i just install android on my (current) passport??" thing i've read many times in the past (and i included myself in that noise from back in 2015 when i got my passport). but i think now, in today's current android development environment, certainly a lot more is possible. but i'm an oldz who's bored and learning to code and doing my reading here: https://material.io/tools/devices/
    Better check that again... Different set of standards and rules for wearables. Different info to display and different purpose.

I'm old too, but I've seen enough people see that Samsung foldable and assume it's 1:1 (when the specs given during its first official appearance clearly say it's not), and immediately jump on the idea of an android Passport while pointing to that Samsung device saying "see?".

There's simply no correlation.
    02-20-19 11:05 AM

Yeah, but look at the intangibles.

For instance, if the phone was a flop and bankrupts the company then you could ... (wait for it) ...

FOLD THE COMPANY!

(I'm here all week!)
    02-20-19 11:29 AM
    The Passport didn't sell alot of units , it's a niche phone. If Apple would have released the Passport it would have sold millions the first week
    02-20-19 12:15 PM
    The Passport didn't sell alot of units , it's a niche phone. If Apple would have released the Passport it would have sold millions the first week
    Apple would have never done it... they are the ones that killed the keyboard in the first place.

Even if they had... it would not have sold millions. It doesn't fit well with most consumers usage... people want big, but they want big displays that properly display the content that they are viewing. Would have been a niche product, no matter who had released it. Contrary to belief, Apple users only buy what they want...
    02-20-19 01:23 PM
    Apple would have never done it... they are the ones that killed the keyboard in the first place.

Even if they had... it would not have sold millions. It doesn't fit well with most consumers usage... people want big, but they want big displays that properly display the content that they are viewing. Would have been a niche product, no matter who had released it. Contrary to belief, Apple users only buy what they want...
    Apple would have properly marketed the Passport and made people aware of the device
    02-20-19 01:28 PM
    Apple would have properly marketed the Passport and made people aware of the device
    No... they'd have never tried such a non consumer form factor.

Cool looking device, had some specific but limited benefits with productivity functions.... but BB10 wasn't what the market wanted and consumers are wide format sensitive.
    02-20-19 02:11 PM
    So the specs are out: https://9to5google.com/2019/02/20/sa...roid-foldable/

Folded shut, 840x1960 (21:9), folded open, 1536x2152 (4.2:3).

All of that 1:1 speculation, as usual, for naught.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-20-19 02:16 PM
    So the specs are out: https://9to5google.com/2019/02/20/sa...roid-foldable/

Folded shut, 840x1960 (21:9), folded open, 1536x2152 (4.2:3).

All of that 1:1 speculation, as usual, for naught.
    And with a price just short of $2,000. I'll pass.
    02-20-19 02:30 PM