I have a Passport and BB Priv both on ATT. I swap my SIM card between the two depending on what my mood is. I recently picked up a Samsung Frontier Gear S3 watch (ATT LTE version) so I can sync it to my Priv. It works flawlessly. I get all notifications (email, calls, texts, etc)
    I can also make calls and send texts from my watch to anyone and it will appear to come from my phone's number, so it's transparent on the other end. This is because ATT has a feature called "Number Sync" that will spoof your phone. What's nice is that your phone doesn't have to be on for it to work. However if you are not connected to your phone, you will only receive calls and texts. If you are connected to your phone via Bluetooth, you will receive notifications based on your setting in the Samsung Gear app which is installed on your Android phone. Got it? Good.

Now...

What happens if I decide to go back to the Passport using my SIM card from Priv? How will the watch react?

You will still get calls and texts sent to the watch as well as on the Passport. Both will ring. Both will receive texts. You can answer and respond from either device. The Number Sync setting is still intact even if you switch phones. Keep in mind that your phones must be on the ATT network.

Now things you cannot do:

1. You cannot install the Samsung app on the Passport to get fully functionality (email, FB, Instagram notifications, etc). The app will try to install and will fail. Maybe someone out there has gotten this to work.

2. You cannot use mixed networks to get this to work. So if you have a Priv on Verizon and a Passport on ATT, then the NumberSync feature will not work. The watch relies on the Samsung App to activate Number Sync which only shows up in the settings of your watch when you are on the ATT network. So to keep it simple, all phones should be on the same network.

3. If you only have a Passport, then this will not work. This only works if you happen to have a second Android phone on ATT. You will need to activate NumberSync through the Samsung App first on your Android phone. Once this is set up, you can then move your SIM card from your Android to the Passport and it will continue to receive calls and texts only.

BTW, you can still be connected to your Android phone via BT or Wifi and still get all of your Samsung notifications while getting calls and texts from your Passport. However, since the Android phone no longer has the SIM card in it (it's in the Passport), you will need to stay connected to Wifi for this to work.

So, if you fall into this category and wondered if this would work, then your answer is here. BTW I love the watch. It's bigger and more of a man's watch. 46mm.

Hope this helps.
    01-06-17 04:19 PM
    Dam...$350.00 for the watch....

Although after looking at it more its sure is a nice looking smart watch.
    01-07-17 10:10 AM
    Thanks for the info! I have a Passport on T-Mobile and was considering getting a Gear S3 Frontier. Hopefully someone will be able to find a work around to get it to work properly someday.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport SE
    01-19-17 03:22 PM
    I to have the Priv and gear S3 lte both on att. However they could not get numbersync to work. Would get the 5 digit code to type in the phone app. Then kept getting an error code. So I am using as a bluetooth model only. Did you have any problems to get the numbersync to connect initially in the beginning? I gave up and had att unprovision my number on the S3. Thank you in advance.
    01-23-17 03:31 PM
    I to have the Priv and gear S3 lte both on att. However they could not get numbersync to work. Would get the 5 digit code to type in the phone app. Then kept getting an error code. So I am using as a bluetooth model only. Did you have any problems to get the numbersync to connect initially in the beginning? I gave up and had att unprovision my number on the S3. Thank you in advance.
    Is your Priv unlocked (not purchased from AT&T)? AT&T NumberSync does not work on unlocked phones or non-AT&T branded mobile devices. AT&T routinely block unlocked phones from vital services such as enhanced calling features, VoIP, HD Voice and "NumberSync" for wearables and other mobile devices.

A Samsung Gear 3 purchased from AT&T will not NumberSync with the unlocked Blackberry KEY2 (or unlocked KEYone) despite (false) claims by a AT&T Corporate Store Sales Representative and AT&T tech support that NumberSync works with all phones.

dougmixer:
    Keep in mind that your phones must be on the ATT network.
    It's not only that the phone needs to be on the AT&T network but also needs to be an AT&T branded phone, not unlocked or "bring your own phone" from other GSM services suck as T-Mobile.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    07-16-18 05:38 AM
    Hi
    I do not have an at&t nor T-Mobile device!
    It is just a opinion : I guess there must be a firmware that let the those locked phone be able to function properly
    So in theory If we can extract firmware we can have number sync on all devices no matter they're locked or not!

Send by my lovely passport silver edition
    07-16-18 10:39 AM
    N8, it's not the firmware, it's that AT&T white-lists phones bought through AT&T by IMEI number. Their corporate policy is not to white list BYOD devices, even if AT&T sells the same device. Only white-listed devices get "advanced features" on AT&T.

T-Mobile, on the other hand, treats BYOD devices just like T-Mobile devices, allowing full functionality.
    07-16-18 03:40 PM
    N8, it's not the firmware, it's that AT&T white-lists phones bought through AT&T by IMEI number. Their corporate policy is not to white list BYOD devices, even if AT&T sells the same device. Only white-listed devices get "advanced features" on AT&T.

T-Mobile, on the other hand, treats BYOD devices just like T-Mobile devices, allowing full functionality.
    Thnx for Intel :-)
    But will they white list a none AT&T device, assuming requested by the owner? (what I want to know is that how much they're policy is flexible)
    BTW interesting future hope my career bring it!
    And one quick question : since when you could do such things? (how old is this function? )

07-16-18 11:19 PM
    As I said, corporate policy is that only AT&T-sold devices get whitelisted. You can ask, beg, request, threaten, - whatever - and you aren't going to get a non-AT&T-sold device on the whitelist.

This has been AT&T policy for well over a decade.
    07-17-18 12:11 AM
    As I said, corporate policy is that only AT&T-sold devices get whitelisted. You can ask, beg, request, threaten, - whatever - and you aren't going to get a non-AT&T-sold device on the whitelist.

This has been AT&T policy for well over a decade.
    OK thnx!
    My last question was about the thing OP has done with gear S3(the sync number thingy) not AT&T himself!

07-17-18 02:10 AM