I'm not sure what price you think is fair? It also sounds like you want BlackBerry to subsidize EU import taxes.

I live in jamaica and the import duties here are horrendous!!!
    It's about 39% on cell phones so this us why an s5 is about $900+
    I was pleasantly surprised to see $599 on amazon.....and will just one and have it sent to my aunts house and will pick up when I next travel

Posted via Digicel Z10 10.2.1.2977
    09-25-14 05:29 AM
    It is for 599e in Slovakia...final price...plus 2e shipping
    So 1:1 comparing do dollar...

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 05:40 AM
    +1
    Totally agree with you!
    Let's see what will happen.
    The lesson drawn from BB Z10 is still there!

this ones been done to death in other threads. It costs more in Europe, particularly the UK. Whos's fault is it? Who cares. Faced with a higher price, people will hardly take a punt on the underdog's unproven experimental design.

People seem to think that the passport is different, and that it will rewrite the markets expectations. It won't, and cost should have been an incentive, from what John Chen told us, not a barrier. BlackBerry can set whatever price they want for whatever market, don't forget that. They didn't. Don't compare it to what other manufacturers are doing, BlackBerry are fighting to survive so it doesn't apply.

Anyway, we will have to pick over the bones of this one in about 6 months time. The market will decide if this is a success or a failure. If anyone has a generous dose of 'I told you so' for me around then, I couldn't be happier, for the record.
    09-25-14 05:43 AM
    I absolutely agree with you
    BlackBerry is fighting to survive, its not apple , its not samsung etc ....
    Blackberry had the advantage to kill them all with one strike ..... the low price ....
    Blackberry did the same mistake with the overpriced Z10 and Q10 ...
    I really hope it isnt to late ....
    Price vs Quality.

Apparently, the repriced Z10s are not of the same quality as the original batches.
    Instead of a pricing game, BlackBerry could survive if it maintains consistency in quality.

Someone(important) told me that BlackBerry is now a Software Company.
    I see the Passport as a R&D device. & an attempt to sparkle for onlookers.
    If it clicks, it clicks. Else, a good attention creation effort. Hope it does not backfire.
    09-25-14 05:47 AM
    where?
    09-25-14 05:57 AM
    did nobody read about why the passport's price is lower in the US? go read chen's statement, then stop crying
    09-25-14 06:15 AM
    I just take a look at the coolblue webshop and the price is 599 euro. Dilivery date unknow.

Posted with my Z10
    I saw that too.
    The price was lower then expected!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 06:22 AM
    Circumvent this by having a USA relative ship you one. There are all sorts to groups that do collective shipping from the USA. You would be surprised it happens everyday.
    09-25-14 06:25 AM
    not a bad idea, if they want to sell phones here from their current 4th place market position. If not, well lets see how this pricing structure works out for them. No crystal balls here, I'm just saying my opinion is this will end in tears, when they could have taken a slight hit in european markets (quite LARGE markets) to get it out there. Time will tell. I say the Passport won't sell in overwhelming numbers in the UK. lets pick this up in 6 months, I'm happy to admit i'm wrong then if it comes to it.
    I'm not sure what price you think is fair? It also sounds like you want BlackBerry to subsidize EU import taxes.

I live in jamaica and the import duties here are horrendous!!!
    It's about 39% on cell phones so this us why an s5 is about $900+
    I was pleasantly surprised to see $599 on amazon.....and will just one and have it sent to my aunts house and will pick up when I next travel

Posted via Digicel Z10 10.2.1.2977
    09-25-14 07:14 AM
    yeah, I think that's not a bad plan. Also online outlets here sell them already at 484 uk pounds, which factoring in taxes is closer to a fair price in my mind. Cheers though

Circumvent this by having a USA relative ship you one. There are all sorts to groups that do collective shipping from the USA. You would be surprised it happens everyday.
    09-25-14 07:15 AM
    Heck with the price. Half of the people in the USA can't even buy the phone to work on their network. Price doesn't matter here if most people can't buy it and make it work. It could be $5.00 but if you can't use it what good is it.

Posted on my Z30
    dejanh likes this.
    09-25-14 07:22 AM
    is that because of a carrier exclusive out there? forgive my ignorance, is this because of CDMA sim less phones out and about there too? Or can you all just get the unlocked versions and use them?
    Heck with the price. Half of the people in the USA can't even buy the phone to work on their network. Price doesn't matter here if most people can't buy it and make it work. It could be $5.00 but if you can't use it what good is it.

Posted on my Z30
    09-25-14 07:24 AM
    I'm no expert but the phones avalanche on shop BlackBerry. Com are gsm phones. Well only 2 of the 4 major carriers in the USA use a gsm network. 1 of those 2 gsm carriers has the exclusive on the passport. leaving half the country unable to use the phone. John Chen said " we wanted to price the passport more competitively in the USA because we do not want to leave people out because of the carrier exclusive".

Makes no damn sense why we cannot by a CDMA model to work on Verizon or sprint. He really screwed the pooch on this one.

Posted on my Z30
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    09-25-14 07:32 AM
    The biggest mistake is selling out on day one in less then a few hours.

Clearly a distribution / fulfillment problem here. It's not like they didn't make enough units because the original production run made by Wistron surely didn't sell out in a few hours + they couldn't have made a tiny first order with the OEM.

Very unforgivable from a business point of view and rather embarrassing. There are people out there wanting to give there $599.00 to Blackberry but low and behold, Blackberry have run out of stock.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    09-25-14 07:33 AM
    Selling out within hours is hardly a bad thing, if anything it's free pr if it gets picked up as a newsbyte somewhere. It will be a real problem if they can not replenish the stock withing a short time span.

I think I will be doing just that, which might also explain why Amazon has sold out as I might not be the only one thinking that. I just want to make sure there's only 1 version of the Passport, and that I only need to buy a different plug, before I do.
    09-25-14 10:29 AM
    ....................I think I will be doing just that, which might also explain why Amazon has sold out as I might not be the only one thinking that. I just want to make sure there's only 1 version of the Passport, and that I only need to buy a different plug, before I do.
    Do collective buying then consolidate the shipping to one person for distribution. Think like a company not an individual.
    09-25-14 02:44 PM
    I bought one yesturday around 5 pm from the US shop blackberry for $599. Then today both US and Canadian sites are sold out. Rep said cause of high demand! Could it be.....? also, does the passport handle all carriers? I hope I got the right passport for Rogers??

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:53 PM
    I told them to ship to Canada and but from US shop blackberry site to get it for the $599 price. It's in US dollars though.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:56 PM
43 12