Hi everyone. I've just received my first blackberry 10 device. A passport.

So far I really like the screen and form factor. My question is would this still be safe in 2021? I mean connecting to my outlook and Gmail email accounts via the hub?

Obviously I know things are very out of date and no modern apps but so far I do like it. Biggest problem so far is I have big hands and I keep pressing the wrong key when typing, I mean press two or three keys at once.

Thanks for any thoughts on the above

Posted via CB10
    02-24-21 06:16 AM

So far I really like the screen and form factor. My question is would this still be safe in 2021? I mean connecting to my outlook and Gmail email accounts via the hub?

Obviously I know things are very out of date and no modern apps but so far I do like it. Biggest problem so far is I have big hands and I keep pressing the wrong key when typing, I mean press two or three keys at once.

Posted via CB10
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!!!! Post early and post often......

Anything that is not actively developed and supported is technically not safe. However, others will come here and defend security through obscurity and similar theories. In the end, it comes down to what you’re actually trying or attempting to secure or keep private as privacy is another discussion too.

BBOS and BB10, heck even BBAndroid have become outdated for my personal and business purposes. However I’m a diehard fan and hobbyist so I still have some devices I use on WiFi known around here as my coffee table collection.

The Passport is a very interesting device. Enjoy it for it’s era but keep in mind the evolution of mobile since then.

Here’s a BB10 friend that can be objective @brookie229
    Bla1ze likes this.
    02-24-21 09:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    I still use my Passport almost on a daily basis (have a few other devices that I plug my sim into from time to time) but my needs are next to nothing these days. I have 3 email accounts on the device and see no reason to fear security but then I'm not exchanging top secret or critical info either. Security is not a concern for me - no banking or Paypal etc but I realize that bad actors could obtain email info etc. This could and probably is true for any device for all I know. If you have or exchange critical info then it may be wise to use a newer, up to date device with regular security patches.

As for the big hands, mine are fairly large also and typing is no problem on the Passports keyboard for me. It just takes some practice to get used to as most things in life. I use the swipe up function a great deal when hammering out texts or emails and that takes some getting used to as well. Good Luck!

p.s . Try to keep your android apps to a minimum as they tend to slow the device down.
    Bla1ze and mh1983 like this.
    02-24-21 10:14 AM
    Thanks for the replies. By security I simply mean by setting up my passport to access my outlook and Gmail accounts, does that add a weakness due to it being out of date? I don't have anything particularly secret, just a normal user, photos, docs etc, but I still wouldn't want to do anything to make it more likely someone could gain access to my Accounts.

As the browser is no longer updated I won't be accessing PayPal or anything like that and I have no intention of installing out android apps.

As far as the keyboard goes, I'm getting more accurate which is good. On iOS I use swipe typing but I don't find that particularly accurate.

I'd love a modern fully supported device in the same form factor as this passport. I really like this screen.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-21 11:16 AM
    Thanks for the replies. By security I simply mean by setting up my passport to access my outlook and Gmail accounts, does that add a weakness due to it being out of date? I don't have anything particularly secret, just a normal user, photos, docs etc, but I still wouldn't want to do anything to make it more likely someone could gain access to my Accounts.

As the browser is no longer updated I won't be accessing PayPal or anything like that and I have no intention of installing out android apps.

As far as the keyboard goes, I'm getting more accurate which is good. On iOS I use swipe typing but I don't find that particularly accurate.

I'd love a modern fully supported device in the same form factor as this passport. I really like this screen.

Posted via CB10
    Theoretically, using anything not updated, adds weakness as that itself becomes the weak link. Your email could be easier to compromise and gain access to for password resets or to learn information about you and how you live. With the right basic information, your identity can begin to be assumed. It's usually done in baby steps or gathering crumbs. Pick the analogy you prefer.
    02-25-21 11:57 AM
    Thanks for your thoughts. I should add that I use 2fa everywhere using authenticator app, not sms

Posted via CB10
    02-25-21 12:00 PM
    I hear you on that. I would also like the same form factor (we are in the extreme minority here) as the center of gravity is perfect for me while typing. Unfortunately (imo) if we see any other pkb devices they will most likely be long and awkward. I just did not like the KeyOne or 2 for this reason.

Sounds like your use case is fairly benign. And while there is a small risk, I wouldn't fret over it. Use the Passport emails and all until you don't like it anymore or it doesn't work anymore. I'm on mine for almost 7 years now - not a single problem.
    02-25-21 12:21 PM
    my father gets tons of junk and spam emails, often with attachments. because he's running a business he's tempted to open every single one of them.

checking emails on the blackberry first, saves our computer, saves our clients, and saves our contacts....and whatever else. I don't believe there is any enhanced security anymore.....it's just the simple fact that the blackberry 10 browser and OS are outdated enough to now allow the malware and virus' to infect.
    02-26-21 10:17 AM
    my father gets tons of junk and spam emails, often with attachments. because he's running a business he's tempted to open every single one of them.

checking emails on the blackberry first, saves our computer, saves our clients, and saves our contacts....and whatever else. I don't believe there is any enhanced security anymore.....it's just the simple fact that the blackberry 10 browser and OS are outdated enough to now allow the malware and virus' to infect.
    If he's so prone to click on malware, perhaps a lesson is in order. Besides, why is he getting so much anyway?
    02-26-21 12:01 PM
    Great Device! I wished I got mine when they first came out

Posted via CB10
    02-26-21 04:14 PM