How long did you honestly give the Passport? I get that the Q5 is small and light, but that comes at a huge expense. It really took me almost three weeks to really love this keyboard. I don't know how many people will give it that long, but I can honestly say that it's worth the fight... lol

Posted via CB10
    I gave it 3 honest weeks, and seriously tried to familiarize. It just didn't work for me. I agree with what you said about the Q5, this is why I'm looking forward to the Classic.

The PP is an amazing piece of technology, but apparently it's not for me. I'm happy for everybody who got used to it and who can enjoy it now, and I hope it will continue to sell like hot cakes, to make BlackBerry successful again.

General comment (not for Animal Pak, your comment was fair): it would be great if certain people just respect that others sometimes have different opinions, without instantly starting to make fun of them or to insult them.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and WorldwideRemix like this.
    10-20-14 02:23 AM
    I am still getting used to this device. I only agree with your numeric vkb location. Others not so

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    10-20-14 02:31 AM
    I feel ashamed of myself for replying since I never laid hands on a Passport, but....

- blank space on a device front isn't just for cosmetics or logo placing or things like that. There's actual technology behind everything, a phone doesn't get made in Photoshop. Which is exactly the reason why any Photoshop concept of any device up to today is nothing more than whishful thinking. There's no point in discussing things like "here is just black, throw another strip of buttons on there"....this thinking is just comical

- there's nothing worse than numbers in a strip atop of a keyboard. I use a 15" laptop which lacks a dedicated numpad and it's the worst for typing any string of numbers. I always liked typing numbers on my BlackBerrys since you had a numpad of real buttons. Now, aside from the fact that the "0" placement on the Passport might be weird b/c uncommon, AFAIK the numbers are mapped to the hardware keyboard. And I understand the Passport as a two handed device. So....I don't see the number placement on Apple and Android devices touchscreen not being better at all, but actually worse.

- the send message and attachment buttons etc. I'm using 10.3 on my Z10 for quite some time now and I have no idea what the deal is. Is the buttons themselves or is it just their size on the Passport? Cause I do like having those most frequently used options placed there on the Z10 directly instead of burying them all in another pop up menu....?

....so as a BlackBerry fan planning on getting the Passport one day (contract upgrade etc), seeking for valuable reviews and input, I honestly can't take anything away from this "review" of yours. Beside of trackpad scrolling maybe and also malinputs when typing sound alarming....but all in all....

Posted via CB10
    thedose likes this.
    10-20-14 02:51 AM
    The Passport isn't for everyone like Blackberry have mentioned. You knew what you got yourself into (especially the size) when you bought the phone. If you don't like it then here is your chance to put it up on eBay and you could still profit. Your review isn't a review, it's clearly a bashing thread and it isn't constructive criticism either. I would rather see you sell your phone and leave the forum along with your negative attitude for good. Meanwhile let us Blackberry fans enjoy this wonderful moment of how much Blackberry have accomplished with the Passport.
    Last edited by thymaster; 10-20-14 at 03:31 AM.
    Niro Sri likes this.
    10-20-14 03:17 AM
    I'm one of the founding members of this website; a veteran.. you must be new here if you don't know who SackHarry is

Posted via CB10
    With a whole 326 posts in 6 years. Yes, we really must have our heads in the sand! Guygardner73 knows who SackHarry is. Guygardner73 is not impressed.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    Nharzhool and Tompire like this.
    10-20-14 03:27 AM
    To quote from Mashable article, "haters gonna hate, but, they hating it because its not a iPhone or an Andriod".
    BlackBerry makes phones for mobile professionals (consumers and prosumers). Not for every Tom, **** and Harry, and thats ok.
    Niro Sri likes this.
    10-20-14 03:41 AM
    Is he some sort of BlackBerry celebrity?

Posted via CB10
    Right? Who and why ask him for a review.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 05:33 AM
    The Passport certainly isn't for everyone.

It takes a few days of adjusting your muscle memory and understanding the nuances of the device. Almost like programming your brain and fingers to gel with the device. That is a process you go through whenever u get a new device you aren't used to.

After the initial time it will still feel awkward to some while others love it.

I'm one of those who love it.

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12 likes this.
    10-20-14 06:02 AM
    Gee B's answer : "use the damn thing for a longer time"

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 06:17 AM
    Who is sack harry?

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    Never heard of him.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-14 06:58 AM
    The Passport isn't for everyone like Blackberry have mentioned. You knew what you got yourself into (especially the size) when you bought the phone. If you don't like it then here is your chance to put it up on eBay and you could still profit. Your review isn't a review, it's clearly a bashing thread and it isn't constructive criticism either. I would rather see you sell your phone and leave the forum along with your negative attitude for good. Meanwhile let us Blackberry fans enjoy this wonderful moment of how much Blackberry have accomplished with the Passport.
    Clearly you either didn't read my thread or..

I am not bashing the passport, I clearly said it was a very powerful nice phone that is capable of tonnes. I just listed some of the things that needed to be fixed..overall I think the passport is a terrific phone but needs getting used to. Would I take the passport over an iphone or samsung? In a heart beat. Is the passport the best phone out in the marker right now? I believe it is.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SackHarry; 10-21-14 at 02:03 AM.
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-20-14 10:15 PM
    I don't even own this phone and I know that when you enter the alt mode you can use the physical keyboard to hit the numbers.
    10-20-14 11:33 PM
    Nharzhool's been getting a lot of forum messages asking him to review SackHarry's Official review of his Passport.

So here it is:

JK. I just thought it was funny. I neither know, nor care who SackHarry is.
    10-20-14 11:49 PM
    Nice Avatar !! Sac Man .
    10-21-14 08:36 AM
    - blank space on a device front isn't just for cosmetics or logo placing or things like that. There's actual technology behind everything, a phone doesn't get made in Photoshop. Which is exactly the reason why any Photoshop concept of any device up to today is nothing more than whishful thinking. There's no point in discussing things like "here is just black, throw another strip of buttons on there"....this thinking is just comical
    Correct. The area behind the BlackBerry logo is crammed with gear. The SIM and SD cards are in there, as well as the camera hardware, proximity sensor, and no doubt more that I don't know about.

Having used the Passport since launch (Well, a few days later when it arrived), I can say that it did take me a while to get used to the popup screen for symbols and numbers. Embarrassingly, I failed to notice that pressing the 123 button brings the symbols up without keyboard mapping, whereas swiping down brings the keyboard mapping. But the 123 button leaves the symbols on screen until you tap to close it. Swiping down brings up the symbols with keyboard mappings. If you use the physical keyboard to select a symbol or number, it automatically closes after that single input. If you don't use the physical keyboard but tap on the virtual symbol instead, the symbols stay up and the keyboard mappings go away, as if you'd tapped 123 to begin with. I'm sure all of this was explained here on CB or in one of those video tutorials, but I missed it so I had to figure it out for myself. Now it's second nature. The muscle memory for entering a single number or a series of numbers isn't that different from the Q10. If I wanted to enter, say, 234, I could do alt-2, alt-3, alt-4; or I could long press alt and type 234. On the Passport I can do swipe-2, swipe-3, swipe-4 using the keyboard, or I can tap the 123 button and type 234 on the screen. I can also long press the 123 button to keep the symbol/number screen there with keyboard mappings.

In short, the system is very flexible, but you do have to understand it and get used to it.

- the send message and attachment buttons etc. I'm using 10.3 on my Z10 for quite some time now and I have no idea what the deal is. Is the buttons themselves or is it just their size on the Passport? Cause I do like having those most frequently used options placed there on the Z10 directly instead of burying them all in another pop up menu....?
    I have no idea what the problem is either. I have big hands and I had no problem using these buttons on the Q10 (leaked OS); if anything it's easier on the Passport. If I were going to complain about anything, it would be the steps needed to do multi-select in the Hub. In comparison, Android's stock gmail/email apps let you multi-select by tapping along the left part of the message notification. But that's not a Passport problem; it's just something I'd like to see in BB10 at some point.

Trackpad scrolling is, in my opinion, one of those things you don't expect, so it takes some time to take advantage of it. It's not "inertial", so you can't swipe and expect it to keep scrolling for a while. For scrolling through pages of text or a web site, I use the space bar anyway, from long BlackBerry keyboard habit. But for positioning the text on the screen a few lines at a time, so I can look at a specific region, trackpad scrolling is very useful. And this is just the sort of situation where you might not want to use your finger on the screen, to avoid accidentally selecting something. So I tend to use it for small-scale, precision scrolling and positioning rather than for paging through long web sites.

The size and weight of the Passport are fair points. The phone is large and somewhat heavy, and some people will just feel that it's too much phone. You can get a feel for the size by holding an actual passport, but of course the weight is very different. As has been said by many, it's not for everybody.

If I'm going to complain about anything, it's swiping to select predicted words. I still find it more difficult to do with my left thumb, and I still sometimes accidentally hit a punctuation mark or the shift button when doing it. You have to do the keyboard swipe without touching the screen, and my right thumb is just more nimble than my left. Then again, I don't have to swipe to select words; I can just tap, as I did with no problem on my Q10. Or I can swipe with the right thumb and tap with the left, which is what I often end up doing.
    thedose and Elite1 like this.
    10-21-14 08:52 AM
    3. Yes, it is pointless for me to put emoticon and send message so close each other, it is pointless to put send message on touch screen when you can do it by hitting enter.
    I send few half written messages because of that. It is annoying.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 08:56 AM
    3. Yes, it is pointless for me to put emoticon and send message so close each other, it is pointless to put send message on touch screen when you can do it by hitting enter.
    I send few half written messages because of that. It is annoying.

Posted via CB10
    You can disable sending text messages when you hit the enter key. Hub > Settings > Text Messages. Toggle "Use enter key to send" to off. That would let you avoid sending messages prematurely.
    10-21-14 09:05 AM
    Have to agree on the numbers, don't like the positioning at all. Disagree about the rest, just my opinion though.
    10-21-14 10:19 AM
    Lol did you even like anything about the phone? I couldn't even get through reading it all lol....what a joke
    Different strokes for different folks. Just because you like the phone doesn't make his review a joke. People here on CB need to be more tolerant and understanding of the idea that people have different opinions. Just because you like the Passport doesn't mean it is axiomatically a good phone and everyone should like it. Nor does it mean that his review is a joke. The same thing applies in reverse. Just because someone doesn't like Passport doesn't mean it is a bad phone and everyone will dislike it.
    Elite1 and gnirkatto like this.
    10-21-14 10:27 AM
    Who is Sack harry, must be a verge partner.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 10:34 AM
    I just want to ask. Who is SackHarry? I'm just curious lol.

Why is he so arrogant? I am sure that he is one of the Blackberry founders, or the one who invented smart phones!

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 11:49 AM
    The whole keyboard is used as a trackpad and the keyboard height is still bigger than normal BlackBerry trackpad. NO? If you use the same motion on the keyboard as you do on the normal tiny trackpad, you should be able to operate it...
    10-21-14 02:33 PM
    The whole keyboard is used as a trackpad and the keyboard height is still bigger than normal BlackBerry trackpad. NO? If you use the same motion on the keyboard as you do on the normal tiny trackpad, you should be able to operate it...
    You can also put it in landscape and scroll that way too. More length.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 06:07 PM
48 12