Yeah OP wanting some extra features, nothing wrong with that. I've never considered it an issue because my SGS3 never did and now Nexus 5 does not rotate on the home screen, does not rotate upside down and only locks to portrait mode. You do have a point about it being square though, still, all it takes is an update and you're sorted, so wait for it or sell your PP.
    Homescreen rotation is an option on Android devices though, if you use a different launcher. The homescreen rotates on my SGSIII. The standard launchers allowed the homescreens to rotate on phones that had landscape slider keyboards.
    10-13-14 01:26 PM
    Can't please everyone Damn BlackBerry always seem to fail the naysayers!!! ;-)

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport
    10-13-14 01:29 PM
    Not sure if I would call it SEVERELY problematic cause or else it would be SUPER OVER SEVERELY problematic on other smartphones!

The 1 to 1 ratio makes it less necessary to rotate whereas the rectangular ratio of other smartphones, you'll be rotating all the time to view spreadsheets, pictures, maps...

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 01:31 PM
    Good to see BlackBerry building phones where the worst that can be said are nothing more than little pet peeves, personal preferences and nit picks.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    DiegoV_G and Rowan M like this.
    10-13-14 01:53 PM
    No bb10 device orients upside-down.... what purpose would that serve...
    Posted via CB10
    The PlayBook did, but no phone has had this feature.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 01:58 PM
    I think the OP needs to see a shrink before the dreaded psychiatric affliction known as Rotation Syndrome get's the better of him.
    10-13-14 02:03 PM
    actually, I think you should be able to rotate the home screen. Further, the ipoo 6 does this. It is a good idea, and using the phone sideways with the keypad as a scroll bar may make sense for someone. Why knock them for it?
    10-13-14 03:02 PM
    The PlayBook did, but no phone has had this feature.

Posted via CB10
    loved that about the playbook, it really didn't have a top/bottom for the system and many bb apps, but lots of apps had a native orientation, some landscape, some portrait, and they don't switch.

I expect having a home orientation is what most users want and having it rotate and rotate would confuse some users. Proabably very simple to have it lock or unlock with a default to keyboard bottom since the playbook is happy to spin around and around.

for the OP, really gotta hope none of likes truly severe problems hit you if this one twist you out of shape
    Rowan M likes this.
    10-13-14 03:19 PM
    To the OP... first generation device.... if you do not want this kind of aggrevation them do not be an early adopter.... do some research into the capabilities of the device before buying.... finally... like really ... just because the device is "problematic" to you does not mean it is for others.... another case of if it is an issue to me it is important and should be to others as well...,. read you post thoroughly and guess what... all the issues you bring up mean absolutely nothing to me.... and I would hazard to guess many others... so what is the point of your rant?????
    10-13-14 06:06 PM
    OP definitely has a point and explained himself well. Title might be a slight exaggeration but the point still stands. More constructive responses as opposed to variations of "quit yer whining!" would be a better use of this thread.
    Quit yer whining..
    10-13-14 07:46 PM
    Rotation on ANY PHONE annoyed me to no end.

That's why I got a Passport... so I wouldn't look like I hot-capped myself on E at crapy rave while trying to view sh�t on my phone.

But judging by your huuuge post, you're at least diggin' the keyboard.

Blackberry thanks you for your money. Get an ipad, troll.

Passport || Fido
    10-13-14 07:57 PM
    Your long winded pout is lost on me. The screen is SQUARE, why on earth would you want to hold it sideways or upside down?

Posted via CB10
    Did you really take the time to go over this.n haven't you seen advertisement of the device sideways and using the keypad to scroll down? Sigh... it looks that you'll be blind enough to not see he is right. It happens to me on the Z10. I can't bring up the settings menu when sideways, I'm on 10.3.

This feedback should be taken VERY seriously and BlackBerry should fix this asap on the next release. Makes no sense for any device, I should pull up my Hub when sideways, use BBM sideways, etc. If I access my bbm chat from Hub I can reply sideways but if I'm in the bbm app no can't do. Makes NO sense...

BlackBerry, fix this ASAP.

Posted using the fabulous 10.3.0.1052 on my Z10
    10-13-14 08:20 PM
    No bb10 device orients upside-down.... what purpose would that serve...

Why would you want to use the calculator sideways? The screen is square...

No phones let you turn the homescreen sideways... nor would I want to... that would be really annoying..

I know this might sound rude, but blackberry isn't developing their phones specially for you. The majority of us (see the hundreds of positive reviews) like the passport the way it is. If you're unhappy with it, there's thousands of people dying to get one. I'm sure you could even make a profit selling it online.

Posted via CB10
    Your comment makes no sense at all..

10-13-14 08:22 PM
    Well, op kind of has a point..
    Even on touch devices when you're in a landscape app you can't peek into the hub, you have to minimize which brings the vertical home screen and swipe up (while the phone is on the left side) to bring up the hub which goes horizontal as well :S
    It should be system wide and the same gestures that work up right should work sideways *up and left to peek* from whatever app you're in.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.634
    Thissssss! Exactly this!

10-13-14 08:24 PM
    as a side note, you said a Torch screen doesn't rotate at all. I'm using a Torch 9810 right now and the screen rotates so i'm not sure what you are talking about there either. I love my torch with a qwerty. I love BB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    10-13-14 09:02 PM
    I stopped reading at "portrait" and "landscape". I don't have my Passport yet but I thought the screen is square. Does it matter if you can rotate one way or another with a square screen and a fixed keyboard?
    10-13-14 09:55 PM
    To the OP...

I feel confused reading your complaint given screen rotation is pointless on a square phone.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    10-13-14 09:56 PM
    Yes, it's another story if it costs gaZillion dollars to add this feature. But no, it's probably maybe a day's worth of a programmer's time (or even less).
    As a developer, I take this very offensive. What you see is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Rowan M likes this.
    10-13-14 10:07 PM
    OP just wanted more practice time typing, hence his long post...

Former 9900, Z10, and Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    DocDRM and DiegoV_G like this.
    10-13-14 10:18 PM
    Vgorous, I was going to say the same thing. You can go on your side with keyboard vertical. It would just be on your left or right side, depending on what side you lie on.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 10:32 PM
    Well what the torch would do is rotate if you lay down while talking on the phone and switch to speaker. Was very annoying

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 11:51 PM
    Blackberry 10 has never allowed rotation on the home screen, in the calculator app. Etc.

It's not something they overlooked in designing the passport. The OS simply does not support rotation everywhere.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 11:58 PM
    OP just wanted more practice time typing, hence his long post...

Former 9900, Z10, and Z30 user and lover, but now Passport rocker!
    . . . post(S!!)

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    10-14-14 12:31 AM
    I'm going to have to disagree with anyone who thinks that screen rotation should be system-side. Some apps are designed to be used in portrait only, some apps are designed to be used in both portrait and landscape, and some apps are designed to by used in landscape only.

For example, not a single person has ever complained that X or Y game that was designed to run in landscape on a 16:9 device can't run in portrait; so why on God's green earth is anyone complaining about not being able to use the calculator in landscape?

Why complain you can't use the homescreen in landscape anyways? I've had Android phones that allowed homescreen rotation; and let me tell you, it's absolutely useless. I've even ran ROMs that allowed 360 degree rotation system-wide, and it was a freaking disaster.

Let those apps that are designed to be used in a certain orientation lock to that orientation and stop complaining; because let me tell you, if they're not designed to run in both orientations your user experience is going to be utter crap.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 02:08 AM
    I thought this was going to be a thread about the following issue:
    When placing the Passport flat down anywhere, it (happens often) randomly rotates apps sideways. That is the only legitimate rotation issue I have since the update to .1418. Before it would sometimes stop rotating alltogether, but that seems to have been fixed (except BBM, that still stops sometimes).

Sometimes it is a bit of an inconvenience not to be able to Peek to Hub from sideways rotation. Let's not call it landscape mode, as the 1:1 ratio doesn't change at all. Since the Hub itself does support landscape, I think it would make a lot of sense for at least the Peek gesture to work while using the phone sideways, even if the home screen doesn't rotate.

As for the reason it rotates: I actually thought this was mainly to increase Android app support. As some Android apps actually need rotation for some of their functionality (Twitch for example, or Netflix, change their playback layout when rotated).
    And of course to use the touch screen to scroll easier in stuff like the browser but that doesn't warrant using the device sideways all the time.

And rotation lock in sideways view doesn't even make sense unless there is system wide rotation, so I am not sure why you would expect that to happen?
    10-14-14 08:45 AM
127 12345 ...