04-25-16 10:59 AM
127 1234 ...
tools
    The thing I get most out of your post is that since YOU feel this was a major shortcoming, that it should be addressed immediately and that BlackBerry should bow down to your great observations and address them ASAP.

Having a gripe is one thing, but droning on about it ad infinitum just looks plain arrogant.

No offence intended, simply pointing out that you could have made your complaint/point in one tenth the space you did.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 11:24 AM
    The thing I get most out of your post is that since YOU feel this was a major shortcoming, that it should be addressed immediately and that BlackBerry should bow down to your great observations and address them ASAP.

Having a gripe is one thing, but droning on about it ad infinitum just looks plain arrogant.

No offence intended, simply pointing out that you could have made your complaint/point in one tenth the space you did.

Posted via CB10
    My apologies. As you said, I was expressing how I felt. Didn't know doing so would be any problem, especially when I wasn't offending someone. I mean, nothing I said is any offense to anyone right? So why are some people offended?

I paid for my Passport, and I consider it a natural consumer's right to voice these gripes, as you put them, in the way I want, unless I use verbal or physical abuse or break the law in doing so. And I didn't call up BB and threaten to blow their headquarters up if they didn't fix this now, did I?

Perhaps some people take Passport or BB as part of their identity and any slight against either of them becomes personal to them. That's just my guess, but it does beat me.
    10-13-14 11:30 AM
    Wow, just wow.

I'm sorry I bumped this thread. I'm stopping that right now

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 11:37 AM
    My apologies. As you said, I was expressing how I felt. Didn't know doing so would be any problem, especially when I wasn't offending someone.
    OP, take heed of the comments regarding your over the top, melodramatic ranting (some have said "whining")

No - you're not "offending " anyone, but it seems most of us here are males, and you're reminding us of a screeching wife or an ex - nut job girlfriend. TOO much drama.

PLEASE tell me you you're not mad about the "VIP" thing, too

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=967397

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    anon(5906760) likes this.
    10-13-14 11:40 AM
    OP, take heed of the comments regarding your over the top, melodramatic ranting (some have said "whining")
    Which I've already admitted to, most notably in my response to General41. So I do take heed of it. Thanks for pointing it out again though. I know it's a shortcoming of me, which I am well aware would be better for me to fix (just as BB would do well to fix what I am pointing out, for that matter).
    I will also refrain from pointing out to some people here that none of you are my mother and have no business pointing out how I speak, unless I was being offensive to someone, which you agree I wasn't.

No - you're not "offending " anyone, but it seems most of us here are males, and you're reminding us of a screeching wife or an ex - nut job girlfriend. TOO much drama.

I don't think gender stereotype really belongs here. I am a male myself in any case. I do apoLogize for whatever my post reminds the male readers here of, but I would respectfully request that they see through that and get the point of what I say.

If my manner of speaking is the problem, I am totally willing to re-post my point in a separate new thread. If people respond in a respectful and mature, thoughtful manner befitting that post, then I will know for sure it was my "melodrama" that was the problem.
    But if someone brings over the view they formed of me in this thread over to that other thread and Trolls there, I will know at least for those people it wasn't worth it.
    Last edited by mofokey; 10-13-14 at 12:00 PM.
    10-13-14 11:45 AM
    I can't believe this, Blackberry has done it again.
    Passport's implementation of screen rotation is so pointlessly thoughtless.
    I remember how having no rotation lock on my Torch annoyed me to no end and BlackBerry repeated the same thing this time. (well, not exactly, but read on...).
    I feel foolish for having praised Passport for being so thoughtfully designed when it hasn't properly considered something as basic as this.

Passport rotate the screen in ony certain apps. For example, rotation doesn't work in calculator or music app. Neither can you rotate the screen in the home menu.

Now, maybe BlackBerry thought you don't need to rotate the screen in those apps/places, but that's up to me to decide. Besides, what this means, for example, is that when you are in the browser and return to home momentarily, you need to turn the device upright, even if all you want is just to quickly glance at the new mail or notification item you just got and go right back to browsing. Then of course you need to turn the device again if that's how you want to browse (and actually use the keypad as the scrollbar, as it's been noted as one of the clever features of Passport - I.e. I am saying this to pre-empt someone possibly telling me to just browse with my device upright. I am making the point that this is not some "unintended" use I am making of the device here).

Another issue: screen doesn't rotate to upside down position.
    This means that, if you are lying on your side AND want to browse the Web with the device turned sideways, well, there's no way to do it. Is BlackBerry telling me it's a bad posture to use the device this way or are they suggesting if I ever want to use the device in bed, do it on my back, never on the side? Beats me.

On to the next point: rotation lock.

On Passport, it seems that the only use you can make of this feature is to lock the rotation to upright ("portrait") position. There really isn't a way to keep it locked sideways ("landscape").
    I would want to keepit locked sideway when I am browsing the Web that way and don't want the screen to rotate with a slight change in the angle I am holding the device. But no, there isn't a way to do it as far as I can tell. You can't bring the quick settings menu while in an app (such as the browser) and the device is turned sideways. Yes, I know you can call quick menu in apps by swiping down with two fingers. This works on when you are in upright though. It doesn't work when you rotate the screen sideways. Of course as I already noted above, if you wanna come out to home, the only rotation allowed there is upright so you can't set the orientation lock and go back into the app either.
    So all in all, "rotation lock" on Passport really just means "lock rotation to upright position".

I fail to see why they would've imposed this kind of restriction. I am no programmer, but I know enough to know that it wouldn't be any big deal at all to just allow everything I pointed out: allow screen to flip upside down, allow the screen to rotate in any and all apps, allow access to rotation lock while in landscape. I think the absence of some of these are just a result of them falling through the cracks, (such as being unable to lock screen sideways, which is a combined result of the fact that the home screen doesn't rotate sideways and the fact that you can't bring the quick settings menu while in sideways - I suspect that if there was away to bring quick settings while sideways, you would be able to lock orientation that way) but others (such as the fact that you can't turn home screen sideways or turn ANYTHING upside down) are conscious choices, which I don't see any rational basis for. I mean, people use their devices in different ways and in different situations. Why disallow some, especially when allowing them wouldn't really cost anyone anything?

The nightmare is back... the days of Torch annoying me because it hadno rotation llol. Sigh...

This is probably one of the most constructive feedback that Passport can get, based on thoughtful consideration of how the device may be used, but I can already see the defensive reactions of the CB'ers... sigh...

...and my bagels have too much cream cheese on them... le sigh
    Crazed_BB_Fanatic likes this.
    10-13-14 11:52 AM

PLEASE tell me you you're not mad about the "VIP" thing, too

BLA1ZE help needed on Passport VIP issue - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Fortunately for you, I am not mad about the VIP thing. In fact I don't even know what that's about, other than that a all-black VIP version exists and was given to the guests at the launch event. I would like one of those, but no problem if I don't... Certainly not willing to pAy premium for black sidings.
    10-13-14 11:52 AM
    OP - it's being looked at by BlackBerry already.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:21 PM
    OP definitely has a point and explained himself well. Title might be a slight exaggeration but the point still stands. More constructive responses as opposed to variations of "quit yer whining!" would be a better use of this thread.
    21stNow, TGR1 and SmileDahling like this.
    10-13-14 12:22 PM
    Actually this is not a new thing at all. BlackBerry 10 has been like this forever. For some unknown reason, the home screen can never display in landscape mode and there is no way to lock screen rotation to landscape, only portrait. This limitation currently applies to all BlackBerry 10 devices, not just Passport. Yeah, it is quite annoying when you read or browse in landscape and as you minimize the current app, you go back to the home screen that is stuck in portrait mode no matter how you hold your device. Every OS has its share of quirks and idiosyncracies, this one is peculiar to BlackBerry 10.
    10-13-14 12:23 PM
    All valid points. Hopefully fixed soon.
    10-13-14 12:26 PM
    Op has a point and I remember that BlackBerry was working on getting rotation OS wide a little while back..

But it is definitely not something that's easily done, considering that most actions are done using the "swipe up", they need to do a bit of work to optimize such a feature in any rotation mode.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:28 PM
    What's the difference with using the passport upright and using the keyboard as the scroll bar as opposed to side ways? Seems to be a thoughtless rant. Absolutely ridiculous how some people find garbage to talk about. You could never please everybody.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:29 PM
    OP -I might get insta ban for this but you spent so much time and energy to rant for something so pointless it makes me think of thousands of bad words to describe you but I won't because I got a warning by Forum Admins on that haha.....seriously there's so much people with ACTUAL problems in the world and you're here to rant about not being able to rotate your 1 : 1 screen in various of pointless ways ?! SERIOUSLY DUDE ?!

-you should be grateful that you've got the Passport to being with! I'm from Bulgaria...here the Mobile Operators doesn't even know BB still makes phones....there's only third party sellers (2 of them lol) who use the lack of market so they sell it for 800 Euro! In other words I must wait at least a month or maybe even more before someone actually sells it for 600 euro (that's my cap for it).....in other words if I had the chance to own this SUPER COOL device I certainly won't be ranting like a baby on the forums that I can't turn it around....I'll simply enjoy every moment of it and I'll get used to w/e is not present in the current OS version.

God, why are people so picky and overacting about such a little things. If you put the time and energy you spent here into something constructive and good you'll have a much better result...think about it!
    10-13-14 12:33 PM
    Yeah OP wanting some extra features, nothing wrong with that. I've never considered it an issue because my SGS3 never did and now Nexus 5 does not rotate on the home screen, does not rotate upside down and only locks to portrait mode. You do have a point about it being square though, still, all it takes is an update and you're sorted, so wait for it or sell your PP.
    10-13-14 12:35 PM
    The only times I hold my device sideways is for viewing Web content for scrolling or in redditinmotion

In Squircle I Trust
    Well then, I guess you agree with the OP.
    So do I with regard to locking orientation with the keyboard on the side. aka landscape... which isn't really landscape because it's 1:1.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:38 PM
    Ummm, the keyboard scrolls when held upright, you don't have to turn the phone.

What about apps that default portrait mode? I'm not turning my z10 back on to check them all but one example is the ScotiaBank app. It's a tiny inconvenience that a few people have to live with. Life is no better or worse because of it.
    The keyboard scrolls much better when it's on the side, like every other scrollbar you've ever used.

I do this all the time.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:42 PM
    I think the point is valid. Unfortunately, the melodramatic delivery will turn many people off and invite negative responses. The OP would better serve his argument if delivered in an emotional level more appropriate to the issue. There existed quite a number of useability issues from launch of BB10. The vast majority have been addressed, and 10.3.1 takes us even closer with finally delivering Custom Sound Profiles that us old time BB users had been spoiled with in the BBOS days. However Rotation is still an issue. Very inconsistent and could use some tweaking. I have no idea why BBM allows rotation ONLY if I open a message from the HUB - but not if I open BBM from the icon. If someone sends me a photo attachment through BBM, and the photo is in landscape orientation, I can not turn my Z30 and view the photo that way [shrug]. Now that 10.3.1 is cleaning up some of the remaining loose ends that users have long asked about, maybe it is time to take a look at rotation rules. Nothing wrong with that, and OP, please calm down...lol.
    DocDRM and Rowan M like this.
    10-13-14 12:45 PM
    This^

10-13-14 12:48 PM
    I understand your frustration but the OS is not yet optimized for landscape mode. I hope they actually get that accomplished by 10.4, but that might just be wishful thinking. I dont understand why you would want to rotate a square screen in some apps like calculator, or homescreen like you mentioned. The rotation is best used for browsing the web, social networking sites (facebook, twitter, etc), while in the hub, or reading documents. It is not a severe problem but i do understand some frustration you are having, should have tried these things on demo unit before buying the device.
    I don't think OP is suggesting that the PP isn't a good device because of the silly orientation lock issue.
    They're pointing out that it certainly could have been done better.
    It's nothing that can't be addressed in an update.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:49 PM
    As exaggerated as this is, I do agree that the home screen should rotate

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:50 PM
    Despite the "long-windedness" and "melodramatic" and "picky" (other user's descriptions, not mine) style of mofokey's post, I appreciate that he has been polite in his reply to others' criticism of his post content and style, even when others have a go at him. It's nice to not see a quick escalation of tempers, nor insults to OP poster or those who have replied to him.
    10-13-14 01:01 PM
    I'm still wondering why homescreen doesn't rotate. And even more why hasn't it been addressed.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 01:12 PM
    Despite the "long-windedness" and "melodramatic" and "picky" (other user's descriptions, not mine) style of mofokey's post, I appreciate that he has been polite in his reply to others' criticism of his post content and style, even when others have a go at him. It's nice to not see a quick escalation of tempers, nor insults to OP poster or those who have replied to him.
    Agreed. He took ownership of his over the top style.... lol
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-13-14 01:14 PM
    MOFO there's a way to view your browser in landscape mode when laying down on your side.

When laying on your left side:
    - position your phone so the power button on top is pointing down towards the bed.

When laying on your right side :
    - same thing...position the power button so it's pointing down towards the bed.

Lemme know if you know what I mean.

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD likes this.
    10-13-14 01:22 PM
127 1234 ...