I support your complaint. Be it long or short. This complaint is valid. If there's an accelerometer in the machine, that's supposed to turn the screen one way or the other and you have to turn the device, than what's the point of having this accelerometer inside?

If the device is not doing what's supposed to be doing than it's a flaw. This is regardless whether it's a nuisance to the end user.

Adios amigos!
    This one is easy. The accelerometer is there to rotate those apps that are designed to rotate and support rotation, not for those that were not designed to rotate and do not support it.

The device is doing exactly what it is designed to do; so NO, it is not a flaw.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 06:35 PM
    Cant believe i read this sorry pointless

posted via my passport
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    10-14-14 06:36 PM
    So, what you're really saying here is...
    1. "that the only way to scroll down a webpage on the Passport is to rotate it sideways and to use the touch keypad to do so..."
    Actually, he never said that. Now it is you who is being overly dramatic.
    As a few Passport owners have already mentioned, while not the ONLY way to scroll a Web page, it is a nice feature unique to the Passport.
    The point is, he LIKES taking advantage of that feature. Now, once it's turned that way, it would be nice to be able to keep it that way as you peek and flow, instead of having to turn it back upright. After all, as so many in here have been quick to point out, it's a square screen - so why NOT let him keep the phone turned that way. The on screen presentation is the same.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    10-14-14 07:23 PM
    I looked at the long post before reading. I did not get far before I just stopped reading. Booooooring. lets us know if you will be selling your PassPort.
    10-14-14 09:42 PM
    mofokey, I think some of the reaction here is due to your, perhaps overstated, headline. But I guess it wouldn't have been as effective if you'd made it "Rotation on Passport is inconsistently implemented", which is probably nearer to the truth of your complaint.

But I do agree with you; especially given the picture you posted, showing the use of the length of the keyboard as a scroll bar, it should have been thoroughly investigated and implemented as you suggest. Unless, of course, it is a much more significant programming issue than you assume.
    10-15-14 02:21 AM
    You couldn't tell I was being sarcastic, huh?

Actually, he never said that. Now it is you who is being overly dramatic.
    As a few Passport owners have already mentioned, while not the ONLY way to scroll a Web page, it is a nice feature unique to the Passport.
    The point is, he LIKES taking advantage of that feature. Now, once it's turned that way, it would be nice to be able to keep it that way as you peek and flow, instead of having to turn it back upright. After all, as so many in here have been quick to point out, it's a square screen - so why NOT let him keep the phone turned that way. The on screen presentation is the same.
    10-15-14 02:37 AM
    Your long winded pout is lost on me. The screen is SQUARE, why on earth would you want to hold it sideways or upside down?
    Post No 3 saved me the bother of reading up to 4th page, my coffee is still hot
    10-15-14 02:50 AM
    No phones let you turn the homescreen sideways... nor would I want to... that would be really annoying..
    I used to use BlackBerry Storm (9500 / 9530), BlackBerry Torch (9850 / 9860), and BlackBerry Torch with vertically sliding keyboards (9800 / 9810) homescreens (and wallpapers) of which did turn sideways . . . this feature was useful while charging these legacy BlackBerry OS devices on genuine (official) docks (cradles) sideways.

While using Z3, Z10, and Z30 I do not miss such feature (turning homescreens sideways) too much.

Why would you want to use the calculator sideways? The screen is square...
    I would agree . . . I do not feel like turning screens of my Q5, Q10, nor Passport sideways.

Rotation on Passport is severely problematic-blackberry-9500.jpg
    Rotation on Passport is severely problematic-blackberry-torch-9850-9860.jpg
    Last edited by yhamaie; 10-15-14 at 07:52 AM.
    10-15-14 07:28 AM
    why do yu need to rotate, its square?
    10-15-14 07:31 AM
    I think it go so many it's square why rotate replies because of the title. Maybe if.thst image of the password sideways with the keyboard scrolling then half the "why would you rotate a square screen " wouldn't have been posted.

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    10-15-14 07:53 AM
    why do yu need to rotate, its square?
    These posts are making me want to scream. The device is not sqaure. The screen is square. Therefore there is absolutely no reason you should not be able to hold the device in whatever orientation is physically the most comfortable. The 1:1 aspect ratio means BlackBerry is in a unique position to implement this at the display server level (to use X11 jargon) without needing to care about the application support.

And to the guy who said the post was too long, if you aren't gonna read it, why are you bothering to post?
    Last edited by Korla_Plankton; 01-12-15 at 10:56 AM. Reason: change 'with' to 'without'
    Denvertorch likes this.
    01-10-15 07:35 AM
    Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I agree with the OP and the last poster. The screen is square, but the device is not. There are times when it's beneficial to use landscape due to how you hold the device, especially apps that require the use of the accelerometer. (True, this is secondary, as the phone is primarily for reading and writing, which usually works best in portrait. However, there should be a simple solution and I anticipate BB to fix this in an upcoming update.)
    There's also the issue of continuity. Having to switch from landscape to portrait back to landscape is awkward and inefficient, especially since the screen of the same in either mode. I'm not sure why so many people were attacking the OP. It was a valid point.
    02-05-15 10:14 AM
    Totally not sorry to revive this thread... I decided to try using a bluetooth mouse with my passport. I have a flip case which conveniently allows me to prop the device up on its side at a nice viewing angle. It works great... until I hit the home screen. Then my mouse axis rotates 90 degrees and it becomes nearly impossible to use. I can't think of any good reason why the home screen/settings screen/whatever else shouldn't rotate like everything else. Having to switch device orientation (or more bizarrely, mouse orientation) just to access certain functions is a usability flaw.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 06:48 AM
    Is there a way to open a virtual keyboard when the device is on the side??

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 08:15 AM
    Not that I know of but I find myself developing a knack for typing sideways with my left thumb lol

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 05:12 PM
    I use my Passport in landscape mode daily to read news. In landscape mode, I can use the keyboard to roll up and down freely. I also utilize the keys to go into Reader mode.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    02-12-15 05:43 PM
    Knew it shouldn't have had rotation at all.
    02-12-15 05:45 PM
    You're joking, yes?

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 12:16 PM
    I had to stop reading a little ways into the opening post before stopping and wishing I had that few seconds of my life back. And also the time it took to explain this. Worst. Post. Ever.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 03:53 AM
    I just disable that feature...1 to 1 ratio what's the point

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 10:03 AM
    Attention seeking post.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 11:24 AM
    Hello mofokey,

I apologize for my English... I am French...

I totaly agree with you ! We bought a phone, we all want it customised for our usage !
    You say you are not a develloper, i am and it's really easy to do what you say....

All the people who said you are wrong to do what you do with your phone are wrong, it's just a few lines in a program, a little upgrade to make happy a few users and nothing change for the others...

Some peaple say that we do not have to use the phone with the keyboard one left and thee screen on the right : i have the official blackberry case, we open it like a book. I put the the case like the roof of a house when i come home, and my phone stay at the same position for hours. I would like to use it like this, blackberry assistant is here to listen to me a do what i want and it works properly but i don't want to turn my head to see the notification a select an application ...

For people who have an other solution than allow the rotation everywhere (that includes the possibility of blocking the orientation in the way we want) to use the offical case like this, please give it to me ...

have a nice week end!
    Last edited by julopower; 05-24-15 at 05:29 AM. Reason: switch right and left :D
    05-24-15 05:25 AM
    I like scrolling with the keyboard when the phone is rotated. Way more control. Good for reading long bits.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 09:06 AM
    I read crackberry and Rss feeds by turning the phone sideways and using the trackpad to scroll. It seems like people are mad that others take advantage of this feature, which is an odd thing to get mad about. All of the points made that the phone has a 1:1 aspect ratio, actually make it seem more odd that it doesn't also change the orientation of the home screen and peek / hide features, as the OS doesn't have to change or resize anything, so why not allow it?

That said...I am curious if pixels are actually square. If they are not, that would mean that the aspect ratio is 1:1, but you couldn't have it replicated the same as the underlying pixels are not square (when changing orientation) .

Posted via CB10
    05-24-15 11:45 AM
    I've got rotation locked out of my Passport. Personally, I see NO advantage whatsoever of twisting this beautiful device around. Wife has a Z3, when I watch a video on it the picture is always flip-flopping & that really bakes my noodle!! Screen is square, & scrolls around just fine for me using the touch keyboard whilst oriented properly.

Posted via CB10 from my "phdesktop", the BlackBerry Passport
    05-27-15 01:00 AM
127 ... 3456