Tbh, I am planning to buy the Passport because it's the first phone ever created that has a big a** screen combined with the non-necessity to EVER rotate the screen. I literally hate screen reorientation and the first thing I will do at setup is locking rotation forever. Because scrolling on the keyboard even works in portrait, right?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 08:57 AM
    Yes it works fine. But honestly give it a try! In the browser, or in forum-related apps using it sideways actually feels very comfortable.
    (As an added tip: make sure your are not entering text. For example in BBM the text box is often highlighted, then scrolling doesnt work. Tap anywhere outside of the text box to make it work again.)
    10-14-14 09:07 AM
    The viewing format of the Passport's screen is 1 x 1 square, that means you see everything the same way whichever way the screen is held, period. Rotation in that case (to a great extend) is useless or pointless because whichever way you turn, you end up the same way. Now, if the content provider (website, photo, movie) provides a content that cannot fully and adequately make use of that viewing format, I believe the focus should be on the content provider and not the maker of the viewing device. This, to me, is like buying a TV that is specifically built to display content in 1 x 1 square format, and then blaming the TV manufacturer for the TV not properly displaying content in 16:9 format...,
    10-14-14 09:16 AM
    The viewing format of the Passport's screen is 1 x 1 square, that means you see everything the same way whichever way the screen is held, period. Rotation in that case (to a great extend) is useless or pointless because whichever way you turn, you end up the same way. Now, if the content provider (website, photo, movie) provides a content that cannot fully and adequately make use of that viewing format, I believe the focus should be on the content provider and not the maker of the viewing device. This, to me, is like buying a TV that is specifically built to display content in 1 x 1 square format, and then blaming the TV manufacturer for the TV not properly displaying content in 16:9 format...,
    In this case it's not about the content on the screen, but the position of the control elements of the phone itself. For example, as has been stated many times in this thread, scrolling through web pages with the keyboard positioned to the side (using it as a scroll bar) is more comfortable than doing so with the keyboard under the screen. This can only be done with the screen rotated, thus making screen rotation not pointless, regardless of the square format of the screen.
    10-14-14 10:49 AM
    Should be able to lock it sideways like the playbook i agree
    10-14-14 11:17 AM
    It is astounding how many people have responded in this thread without reading even the smallest bit about what the OP is talking about. I know his post was long winded. I don't blame people for now wanting to bother reading it, but then why respond? How many more will post in this thread "the screen is square, why would you need it to rotate?" - completely ignoring the clear explanation given by the OP and others. Amazing. You may not agree with his reasoning, but he STATES why he would like it to rotate, and he makes a valid point. If you are using the keypad on the side while browsing for the convenience of scrolling, and you want to look into the HUB, you have to turn your phone. BB is always touting FLOW. That is not flow.
    True, it is not the end of the world, and the OP may be overly dramatic, but it is a fair point. I know - people will not read this either and I am just wasting my time. It's okay - I had a couple of minutes to kill. :-)
    TGR1 and Shmerk like this.
    10-14-14 11:46 AM
    Your thread headline is like something out of the Verge....You do have a point to make, but to call this issue "severely problematic" is a bit over the top, give BB a chance to update the OS.
    Last edited by laserx; 10-14-14 at 12:43 PM.
    10-14-14 12:00 PM
    The post was obviously too long for you, when I said the following specifically anticipating someone to say exactly this.

"and actually use the keypad as the scrollbar, as it's been noted as one of the clever features of Passport - I.e. I am saying this to pre-empt someone possibly telling me to just browse with my device upright. I am making the point that this is not some "unintended" use I am making of the device here"

Remeber this photo?

https://s.yimg.com/cd/resizer/2.0/FI...5acb2dcbc8.jpg

Any decent review of Passport pointed this out as one of the clever things they did with Passport.

Gawd I hate people who go " why would you...?"
    I do it because that's how I use the device.
    Was there a photo of the phone being used upside down too?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 12:09 PM
    If you want to see poor implementation of screen rotation, look at 6+.
    Every direction possible, even upside down. But it jams and gets stuck regularly. My girlfriend is always shaking hers to get it right

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 12:09 PM
    "and actually use the keypad as the scrollbar, as it's been noted as one of the clever features of Passport - I.e. I am saying this to pre-empt someone possibly telling me to just browse with my device upright. I am making the point that this is not some "unintended" use I am making of the device here"

This. That's one of the beautiful things about the passport. Being able to swipe up or down on the keyboard while the phone is sideways to scroll through pages.

That's the entire point of allowing the screen to rotate. So the "scroll throw" for lack of a better term allows for the full length of the keyboard, rather than just it's height.

Brilliant idea. I love it. I can only imagine that in the future, they will bring true full screen rotation and full rotation lock support, the same way as it was done on the PlayBook. It worked perfectly there.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 12:11 PM
    How about landscape games?
    10-14-14 12:17 PM
    I think it's a valid point, however it's going to be lost by the severity of your post. It's not a deal-breaker man, minor annoyance to me and something easily updated via software.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 12:36 PM
    Valid points Sir.

But I find it funny how irresistible it is for some of you to comment on a thread that you don't agree with. This thread is full of complaints about the OP complaint lol. The best way to show that do not support a thought/post is to let it get pushed to the bottom of the pile.

You guys treat clear supporters of CrackBerry, Blackberry, and freethinking like doodoo. Knock it off.

Posted via CB/Q10
    AllanQuatermain and TGR1 like this.
    10-14-14 12:39 PM
    No bb10 device orients upside-down.... what purpose would that serve...

Why would you want to use the calculator sideways? The screen is square...

No phones let you turn the homescreen sideways... nor would I want to... that would be really annoying..

I know this might sound rude, but blackberry isn't developing their phones specially for you. The majority of us (see the hundreds of positive reviews) like the passport the way it is. If you're unhappy with it, there's thousands of people dying to get one. I'm sure you could even make a profit selling it online.

Posted via CB10
    perhaps the OP wants to turn the passport sideways while web browsing,
    keyboard to left or right and scroll with it and hold opposite side
    and lock screen so it does not move?,
    and your statement that no phones let you turn the home screen sideways is inaccurate
    i have two that do Nokia N9 and N8 and they designed UI that way,
    the OP has a passport and is free to comment on it.
    10-14-14 12:50 PM
    you not what pisses me off round mirrors you just cant get the proper oreintation why ?
    10-14-14 02:20 PM
    This post made me auto rotate laughing

The Gif Exchange C001B7B16
    10-14-14 02:47 PM
    From the old days, "sit on it and spin"

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    10-14-14 03:00 PM
    .... using the phone sideways with the keypad as a scroll bar may make sense for someone. Why knock them for it?
    Except that you can do this on the Passport now and not just in the browser. On several of my BB10 apps that have been updated for full Passport compatibility this works now. I have tested several of the installed apps on my Passport and rotation works fine. Those same apps did not work this way until they were updated for Passport compatibility. I have now gotten into the habit of checking the update summary before applying updates to see if Passport and 10.3 compatibility are some of the reasons for the updates and then comparing behavior before and after. I have found a few that include such claims but found after that only the aspect ratio was fixed and keyboard scrolling not fixed.

A couple of quick ways to test whether an app has not bee updated for the Passport that I have found are:

1. The keyboard does not currently allow scrolling unless it is using the browser for displaying content.
    2. Incorrect aspect ration for logos, splash screen content display.

I'm sure there are other ways but these are what I have discovered as some of the quickest tests as a user.

I believe there was also a way for developers to code their BB10 apps in a way that made them already compatible at least for the square 1440x1440 display. Android apps are another story. Some of my installed Android apps seem to work fine and some don't. It may depend on the version of Android they were coded for. Some only required me to delete and re-install to correct the issues likely because they were restored from my Z30 when running 10.2.1.xxxx.
    10-14-14 03:20 PM
    So, what you're really saying here is...
    1. "that the only way to scroll down a webpage on the Passport is to rotate it sideways and to use the touch keypad to do so..."
    2. "that you prefer to use the calculator with the keyboard rotated by 90 degrees..."
    3. "that you prefer to listen to music on the phone while it's sideways too..."
    4. "that working on the phone with the keyboard upside down clearly has valuable merits..."

If you're a circus performer, then I'm totally with you. But I'm not, so the only thing I can really say is that you might want to think "outside the box" on this one and consider maybe just holding the phone upright and scrolling down the webpage like the rest of the 99.9% smartphones out there... touch the "touch screen" and slide the page down with your finger.

Sorry to not be on the same page with you here, but really... your post seems very comical and I'm seriously trying to be objective.

For those of you who see no point of turning the device sideways, just take a look at this picture.

https://s.yimg.com/cd/resizer/2.0/FI...5acb2dcbc8.jpg

If you've actually been as excited for passport as I was and did some research, you would've know that one of the things touted by many thoughtful reviewers who actually gave PP thought it deserved was exactly this.

It was always those sloppy reviewers who thought square screen was stupid, pointless, because on a rectangular screen you could turn the phone sideways - "what's the point of square screen? There is no point in turning it. A rectangular screen can be turned sideways to read documents and web browse" well, no, they missed the point. And you who are saying why one would turn PP screen, you are missing a point too.

If you still don't see the point, I really suggest PP is not for you.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    10-14-14 04:32 PM
    Maybe if you posted a video of the Passport being complete useless in your scenarios, I think the brevity of your issues might be more clearer to the community.

You can wear your acrobat costume for kicks... j/k! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, throw up a video showing you how the Passport behaves in the various scenarios you mentioned. I'm really curious about the sideways calculator usage and/or usage-need and sideways music app usage and/or usage-need.
    10-14-14 04:38 PM
    It is astounding how many people have responded in this thread without reading even the smallest bit about what the OP is talking about. I know his post was long winded. I don't blame people for now wanting to bother reading it, but then why respond? How many more will post in this thread "the screen is square, why would you need it to rotate?" - completely ignoring the clear explanation given by the OP and others. Amazing. You may not agree with his reasoning, but he STATES why he would like it to rotate, and he makes a valid point. If you are using the keypad on the side while browsing for the convenience of scrolling, and you want to look into the HUB, you have to turn your phone. BB is always touting FLOW. That is not flow.
    True, it is not the end of the world, and the OP may be overly dramatic, but it is a fair point. I know - people will not read this either and I am just wasting my time. It's okay - I had a couple of minutes to kill. :-)
    The problem isn't the fact that it's valid or not... I think the issue that throws everyone out is that he says that it SEVERELY problematic... everyone is saying that a square screen isn't severely problematic when rotating. Actually it's much better than a rectangular screen.

He he has stated that a great improvement would be to be able to rotate, then his comments would be much better received.

Posted via CB10
    DocDRM likes this.
    10-14-14 04:50 PM
    The problem isn't the fact that it's valid or not... I think the issue that throws everyone out is that he says that it SEVERELY problematic... everyone is saying that a square screen isn't severely problematic when rotating. Actually it's much better than a rectangular screen.

He he has stated that a great improvement would be to be able to rotate, then his comments would be much better received.

Posted via CB10
    Reader's Digest Edition:

Drama Queen
    10-14-14 05:57 PM
    That and the fact that his usage scenarios are completely out of touch with reality. Rotating the Passport to use the calculator?... Seriously?...

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 06:00 PM
    I support your complaint. Be it long or short. This complaint is valid. If there's an accelerometer in the machine, that's supposed to turn the screen one way or the other and you have to turn the device, than what's the point of having this accelerometer inside?

If the device is not doing what's supposed to be doing than it's a flaw. This is regardless whether it's a nuisance to the end user.

Adios amigos!
    10-14-14 06:14 PM
    If you want to see poor implementation of screen rotation, look at 6+.
    Every direction possible, even upside down. But it jams and gets stuck regularly. My girlfriend is always shaking hers to get it right

Posted via CB10
    Shaking it?

Tell her to get a hammer and hit it a couple times. That'll shake it loose.
    10-14-14 06:14 PM
127 ... 23456