There is an entire generation of users that have never even used a physical qwerty before.

Perhaps they will find this new kb experience to be more efficient than what they've been used to?

Also, for sectors that have been utilizing tablets (medicine), having this new kb is probably better than the ones on the ipads.

They made the classic for all the people who couldn't /didn't want to adapt to bb10, they even made it look like the bold 9900 which is lame to me, but that's what the dinosaurs wanted apparently.

If you're in a field that demands that you "need" a trackpad, call and end buttons, chances are the classic will be suited for you - don't b*tch about the passport, which is clearly being made for users with different needs.

Posted via CB10
    It is clearly being made for users with different needs? But what are those needs i wonder then?

You don't seem to understand what i'm trying to say then.

Do you own a car? Because this is like putting the steering wheel in the backseat from now on. Sure, it does the same thing, but it was fine the way it was. If you want to improve things, improve the stuff that people most complain about. Like i said, go search the forums, and you will not find a lot of messages of people that complain about the keyboard, except for the double typing issues and whatnot.
    06-26-14 09:52 AM
    It is clearly being made for users with different needs? But what are those needs i wonder then?

Do you own a car? Because this is like putting the steering wheel in the backseat from now on. Sure, it does the same thing, but it was fine the way it was. If you want to improve things, improve the stuff that people most complain about. Like i said, go search the forums, and you will not find a lot of messages of people that complain about the keyboard, except for the double typing issues and whatnot.
    I disagree with you, there are definitely things they can do to improve physical keyboards, many of which have been included in the Passport's implementation.

The gestures are a fantastic innovation for a hardware keyboard!

The problem is they have tragically failed to execute on the potential of this keyboard by moving the numbers and symbols to a virtual keyboard. This is embarrassingly bad, and it will cause this device to flop - I guarantee it.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 10:03 AM

Umm, I think your analogy is off.

It's like putting the turn signals toggle on the right instead of the left - I can adapt. Can you?

Again, not saying they're improving upon the traditional keyboard, or that it means there's something wrong with the old way.

This is just a different way.

If people like the old way, there's the classic for you - complete with looking like the old bold too so you'll look like you're in 2011 as well.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 10:19 AM
    I disagree with you, there are definitely things they can do to improve physical keyboards, many of which have been included in the Passport's implementation.

The gestures are a fantastic innovation for a hardware keyboard!

The problem is they have tragically failed to execute on the potential of this keyboard by moving the numbers and symbols to a virtual keyboard. This is embarrassingly bad, and it will cause this device to flop - I guarantee it.

Posted via CB10
    I'd like to try it before I judge it. But I'm a bit concerned. The period I can do without since I can just double tap the space. Most of the symbols and even numbers I can do without, individually they're used rarely enough that swiping seems like a fine option. But it's mainly the comma and the apostrophe that might get annoying. It's hard to write even one sentence without needing at least one of those, usually multiple times, and having the extra step just to write a word like "can't" or make a list might be very annoying. Still, I'll reserve final judgement till I try it!
    06-26-14 10:22 AM

It's like putting the turn signals toggle on the wheel and you use your thumbs to press instead of flicking the toggle with your left fingers - I can adapt. Can you?

Again, not saying they're improving upon the traditional keyboard, or that it means there's something wrong with the old way.

If people like the old way, there's the classic for you - complete with looking like the old bold too so you'll look like you're in 2011 as well.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 10:25 AM
    I'd like to try it before I judge it. But I'm a bit concerned. The period I can do without since I can just double tap the space. Most of the symbols and even numbers I can do without, individually they're used rarely enough that swiping seems like a fine option. But it's mainly the comma and the apostrophe that might get annoying. It's hard to write even one sentence without needing at least one of those, usually multiple times, and having the extra step just to write a word like "can't" or make a list might be very annoying. Still, I'll reserve final judgement till I try it!
    The apostrophe is always visible at the bottom of the screen. No need for extra steps, it's just a tap away.

The *revolutionary* keyboard.-symbols_1.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 10:30 AM
    The apostrophe is always visible at the bottom of the screen. No need for extra steps, it's just a tap away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	symbols_1.jpeg 
Views:	383 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	280715

Posted via CB10
    And the comma ??

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    06-26-14 03:04 PM
    And the comma ??

Q10, running 10.2.1.2141
    You really think they'd omit the comma? People just chill out already.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 03:14 PM
    You really think they'd omit the comma? People just chill out already.
    They ARE omitting the comma...
    06-26-14 03:17 PM
    They ARE omitting the comma...
    You're basing this off what? Leaked images?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 03:33 PM
    You're basing this off what? Leaked images?

Posted via CB10
    Lol, there's no physical comma button. There will likely be a shortcut and a way to find it in the virtual keyboard, but it shouldn't be that unintuitive.

I know someone who used the device. He didn't get to try the gestures, but he said the virtual/hardware keyboard combination doesn't work. And it's not a stretch to think he might be right.

Thank goodness for the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    SenorPistachio likes this.
    06-26-14 03:49 PM
    Lol, there's no physical comma button. There will likely be a shortcut and a way to find it in the virtual keyboard, but it shouldn't be that unintuitive.

I know someone who used the device. He didn't get to try the gestures, but he said the virtual/hardware keyboard combination doesn't work. And it's not a stretch to think he might be right.

Thank goodness for the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure it's going to work just fine.

The comma will be included in the contextual 4th row, as it's very commonly used, I doubt it'll be omitted from the 4th row.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to put the pieces of the puzzle together from all the leaked images, the article that was taken down, and BlackBerry's history and track record for making great typing experiences, to realize the passport is going to be not only refreshing and fun, but a great communication and productivity tool.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-14 03:58 PM

It's like putting the turn signals toggle on the right instead of the left - I can adapt. Can you?

Posted via CB10
    Nah. Switching turn signals is a matter of left and right. I don't see the symbols on the left side of the keyboard, do you?

And yeah, the gestures will be cool, that's for sure, not complaining about that at all.
    06-26-14 08:15 PM
38 12