Hey guys,

Thought I'd post my thoughts on the Passport. If ell in love with the device just over a month ago, had my heart set on waiting for the new iPhone 6 or 6 plus after my upgrade was due on October from an iPhone 5.

Previously I've had a few Blackberry's in my time 8900, 9000, 9700 and the last was the bold 9900. My biggest problem with these devices or not the device itself, but rather the OS was the lack of apps available, thus my decision to switch over to iOS.

After I saw the leaked photos of the Passport, I've been on these forums religiously looking for updates on the device and eventually a release date. After the iPhone 6 was announced I was 100% set on the Passport.

Here are my thoughts on having the device for just under 1 week. I've included a fair amount of screenshots and photos I've captured on the device and a comparison against iOS.

Hardware: The passport is incredibly well built and feels great in the hand. As for using it with 1 hand, it is possible but only for browsing and doing simple tasks.

Display: Beautiful display, by far the best I've experience, the viewing experience is something else - a solid 10.

Battery Life: First few days I was literally on the device non-stop as I was on holiday. It still was able to last me the whole today, since then I'm easily reaching 2 whole days of moderate to high usage without any problems. Again, a solid 10.

Camera: The camera is good. Very good. Coming from an iPhone 5, i can safely say this camera captures images as good, possibly better in certain circumstances than the iPhone. I'm no expert photographer, the only gripe I have with the camera is its slow reaction focusing. Possibly this can be improved through a OS update, lets hope. - 8/10

Here are a collection of Images I've taken on the Passport, keep in mind none of these have been edited whatsoever. See below for VSCO edits.

Call Quality: holding the device up to ear for me isn't too awkward, maybe that's because I have a big head, who knows. As for quality of calls.. a solid 10

Software: For me this was the biggest challenge switching from iOS to BB 10, even having previous blackberry's down the years, i had never used or even seen a device that runs the BB10. I picked things up pretty quickly. I found the active frames and gestures very helpful. Another thing I love about the OS is the Dropbox connectivity straight off that bat. a solid 9

Typing: I've found the typing experience on the Passport taking a bit of time to get to grips with after having a touch screen for so long. Don't get me wrong I'm making less mistakes using the keyboard- but at times I feel I could have typed the same message in the same amount of time using the on-screen keyboard. One thing I will say is the swipe to type function is absolutely fantastic, found myself playing with that function for a fair bit. Having only 3 rows of keys didn't really effect me too much either. 8/10

Apps: Before I got the passport I done a lot of research into what apps are now available or can be side-loaded onto Blackberry devices. As I said earlier there was no way I would even consider the Passport if the majority of apps I use on my iPhone weren't available on the Passport. I've been really happy with how Android apps run on the Passport, really happy.

Here are some screenshots of my iPhone before I sold it on eBay that show what apps I'm running.

And here's a few screenshots of my current Passport.

As you can see 99% of apps I had on my device are now on my Passport I'm incredibly happy with this. My only gripe was Afterlight didn't work on the Passport (An iOS / Android photo-editing app) (Google Play dependencies). After trying loads of different methods to try get the app to work I eventually gave up and decided to install VSCOCam, I was even able to install purchased filters by creating an account on my iPhone, purchasing the filter packs, then re-logging in on my Passport and BANG they were right there to download. For me now this has been the best application I've downloaded on the Passport and it works fantastic, really makes every photo pop.

Here are the same photos taken above, just edited using VSCO.

And here are some more screenshots of some of my favorite apps on the Passport..

In conclusion, for anyone who's on the fence about moving from iOS or who's simply just worried about lack of applications on the Passport, dont be. This device is incredible and you certainly wont regret it one bit. A solid 10.
    10-11-14 06:25 PM
    Awesome 'from iOS to BlackBerry 10' review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, the process involved and all the images (photos are quite good btw!)
    10-11-14 06:36 PM
    Great review - thanks. Only thing I'd add to the phone is the amazing sound you get on speakerphone for conference calls...this is something I do a fair bit and I have to say, the Passport handles this job so well - really it's almost hard to believe it's a cell phone. BlackBerry did a lot of things well with the Passport, but speakerphone is an 'out of the park'er'!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 06:48 PM
    Great review OP!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 06:57 PM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Great review thanks!! I share your views coming from iPhone 5 and Z30.... Passport is in another level!

[Review] iOS to Blackberry 10 Transition as a consumer-fullsizerender-1-.jpg
    [Review] iOS to Blackberry 10 Transition as a consumer-facebook-20141005-095831.png

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 07:03 PM
    I agree that the sound on the Passport is amazing. Better than the PlayBook and Z30.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 07:03 PM
    The sound on the Passport is better than a lot of phones, the Note 3 included.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 07:15 PM
    Thanks OP, why don't you use blackberry's built in picture editor?

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 07:19 PM
    I do use it, only for certain editing though. It's just very limited in comparison to VSCO. I guess VSCOCam is a bit more arty farty in regards to filters etc, the Blackberry filters are awful (IMO).
    10-11-14 07:28 PM
    Thanks for the detailed review. Loved your pictures.

How is everyone reacting to your BlackBerry PassPort?

Please do show it around so people see the true innovation of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 07:34 PM
    Great honest review OP. Way to go!
    Cheers

Posted via CB10 with BlackBerry PP
    10-11-14 08:38 PM
    Thanks to the OP for taking the time for a well thought out review..... seems Iphone users seem to having less issues leaving the walled garden as was the case when the Z10 first arrived on the scene.... a testament to BB 10 ongoing development....
    10-11-14 09:29 PM
    Great review. Thanks for sharing! I have had my Passport for a week as well and I have to agree with everything you have mentioned. There is one thing that I have found that is amazing on this phone that you didn't mention and that is the cell reception. I work in my basement and having used both iPhones and Android phones down there I had been getting unreliable cell service. 50% of my calls never work when I try to call out and just as many drop. My Passport makes and holds on to 100% of my calls! Not kidding. The reception is amazing. Solid call experiences so far.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 09:43 PM
    Mixed reaction to be honest. I showed the device to a few work colleagues and a few just burst out laughing. Once I showed them the features they were impressed, doubtful they would consider the device however. I also shoved the phone in my mates faces and they were really impressed with the phone, especially the swipe to type function on the keyboard. However the majority of people I've shown the device to have been interested but doubt would consider it as their next device.

Even had a few people question me on it last night at the pub. They wanted to know "what the hell it was?!?!"
    10-12-14 10:56 AM