Alright! I’ve been wanting to do this since I received this square monstrosity, but I needed some time to play with it and get my head around the size, the keyboard and of course OS 10.3. But first, let me tell you about where I’m coming from. I’ve used the iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4 before I jumped on the BlackBerry bandwagon back in 2010. It all started with love at first sight with the Bold 9000, followed by the 9700 and of course the iconic 9900.

[Situation while doing write-up]

Ok, hold on! As I’m doing thing this write-up, there are 3 business men talking about their mobile phones. One mentioned that he has used a BlackBerry for 7 years and just bought an iPhone 6. The two other guys are using Android! They’re talking about apps, battery life, e-mail etc. One of them turns around (I think he already saw my Passport laying on the table) and says “I wonder what phone this gentleman has”.

*10 minutes later* (And this is why I’m a self-proclaimed BlackBerry Ambassador)

I picked up my Passport and showed it to them. One of then literally said “WOW, WHAT’S THAT?!” and I told them it’s a BlackBerry. He asked right away what model and I said it’s the Passport, after which I asked him if he has a Passport with him. He pulled it out of his pocket and I held it against the phone and he went crazy. Ok, so here I am promoting the phone. I tell them about the transition from legacy OS to BB10 and mention QNX, security, how the OS went “modern”, app support. I mentioned the unified inbox of legacy devices and showed the Hub. And one gentleman started talking about apps, so I mentioned the Amazon store and Snap for Android support. All three of them looked surprised and the best part is still to come.

The last question was about battery life so I showed them the Device Monitor. It was on 79% at 3:20pm, since 08:20am. The android guys were blown away since they were talking about battery life initially. They asked me if I had actually used the phone during that time and I showed them the three e-mail accounts, Twitter, Facebook and of course the (at that time) 7 active frames that were opened. I switched back and forth between active framed apps and my Hub. They were quiet for a while and remembered they were there for a meeting. They eventually asked me how much it costs and were surprised that it was cheaper than the iPhone and Android flagships. THIS IS SO AWESOME!

[/Situation while doing write-up]

Alright, back to the review (yes, this is live from Amsterdam!). After the launch of BB10, I received a limited edition Z10. Being a keyboard guy, I didn’t really use it as a daily driver, because by the time I received the STL100-1, complained, sent it back and received the STL100-2, I already had a Q10. The Q10 was a bit underwhelming with a straight keyboard and poor battery life. I missed my 9900 too much! Eventually I bought a Z30, which I happily used for a long time until the 2nd of October, when I received my BlackBerry Passport.

After receiving the BlackBerry Passport, I went to the Apple Store in Amsterdam to unbox it. Check the video below!

I also created a thread right here on CrackBerry with the backstory of this video, so go check it out if you haven’t already!
    [Video] BlackBerry Passport Unboxing with a twist and a bite in the city of light! - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Now, what do I think after having used it for almost two weeks?

Size
    First of all, the Passport is BIG. It’s the first thing when I see it laying somewhere. It’s BIG! But is it really that big? I don’t wear skinny jeans, although I have a pair of pants that are pretty tight. So I wore it just to check out how the Passport looked. And it looked pretty ridiculous (pic on my Twitter @H4zN_. It actually looks okay in a regular pocket. I mostly wear chinos during work and sweatpants or jeans in my private time and it’s doable. Coming from the Z30, it’s kind of awkward to pull such a big thing out of my pocket just to check the time (yes, I do everything with my phone), but I kind of found a specific way to hold it and pull it out so it comes out easier. Of course wearing a coat or jacket negates the whole issue of pocketability. It just fits in every pocket I’ve tried so far.

Build Quality
    The BlackBerry Passport is made to impress and screams for attention. Even my mom was like “wow, that phone is big, beautiful and DIFFERENT”. And we’re talking about a 59 years old lady who uses an iPhone and iPad and only knows how to use Skype. But she sees a lot of iPhones, HTC’s and Samsungs in her other children’s hands, so it’s really proof that the Passport IS different (and screams for attention). It’s not only big, but also very sturdy. I actually tried to bend it, or well, I held it as if I was trying to bend it and felt how strong it was after using some force. I actually threatened one of my colleagues to kill him with it when we were having a laugh. And I accidently bumped it against a window and the sound of a collision if not what you’d hear throwing some toy against it. I don’t know if it will be the case, but this thing looks strong and durable enough to last for years.

Screen
    This screen is incredible. Its size and resolution make it different from anything that’s out there. I receive a lot of Office documents and I get what BlackBerry has done. I actually laughed at iPhone and Android users who were struggling to see content, zooming and rotating their devices to find the best way to view it. Browsing websites doesn’t require zooming (I’m always on desktop mode), the same goes for reading instant messages, which required less scrolling for those long messages. What I love the most about the screen size though is the Hub. I use the hub to decide whether I want to take action after receiving a notification or not. And this wide screen (and my small font) helps me seeing a lot more, whereas other BB10 devices cut off the previews. It REALLY made me more productive!

Keyboard
    Okay, so I left the iPhone for one reason only; the iconic BlackBerry keyboard. I fell in love with the keyboard, as I couldn’t get my head around typing on the iPhone’s small keyboard. In my opinion, the 9900’s keyboard is the best keyboard ever, which is why I was eyeing the Classic since it was announced. But.. I didn’t really expect this, but I love the Passport’s wide keyboard. I was struggling at first because of the size and the three rows, but I’ve actually been banging out a lot of long e-mails, BBM messages and what not VERY fast. My brother was sitting beside me last weekend and he saw me typing and he said “wow, you really got used to it huh”, which was when I realized that I’m loving it more than I expected. As a matter of fact, I was kind of laughing at the Classic while watching the pictures that were published today. The Classic was going to win it before I bought the password, just because of the keyboard, but I don’t see myself preferring that over this. I briefly used my Q10 when I was updating my Passport and the keys felt tiny and less responsive in a way. I guess I’m too immersed in the Passport’s experience.

SO?!
    This write-up has been longer than it should be! I can go on all day, but I’ll end this by saying that the Passport is definitely the most awesome BlackBerry device ever made. It extends my possibilities and helps me be ME by being the most perfect tool for me EVER! I’m not a social media guy, but I’ve created a Twitter account to scream about the Passport and I’m gonna use it loud and proud wherever I am, because it deserves the look and the WOW’s. BlackBerry is back with a BANG and the gun is still smoking!

That’s it! Follow me on Twitter @H4zN_ to read more about me and my Passport. I’ll also be getting the BlackBerry Classic, which I’ll also be covering out there. I hope the ones who ordered it get it very fast and if you haven’t yet, you should go and buy it because this is HOT!

Later!
    Last edited by H4zN; 01-14-15 at 04:10 AM.
    10-14-14 12:27 PM
    Great works, very honest review hoping to experience the passport very soon.

Sent from my outdated Z10
    H4zN and JGoodard like this.
    10-14-14 12:38 PM
    Well done, Hazan, good video, good writeup.

So cool that you owned that iStore... in Amsterdam! Woohoo!!!

I'm surprised some of the iStaff didn't have a problem with your effort. It's got to be one of those situations where it's easier to ask for forgiveness afterwards than to ask for permission beforehand.

Posted via CB10
    H4zN likes this.
    10-14-14 01:59 PM
    Great works, very honest review hoping to experience the passport very soon.

Sent from my outdated Z10
    Hope you get it soon as well!

Sent from my Squared Monstrosity!
    10-14-14 02:18 PM
    Well done, Hazan, good video, good writeup.

So cool that you owned that iStore... in Amsterdam! Woohoo!!!

I'm surprised some of the iStaff didn't have a problem with your effort. It's got to be one of those situations where it's easier to ask for forgiveness afterwards than to ask for permission beforehand.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure some of them saw it, but I don?t think they could've stopped me. It would be fun if they tried with a rolling camera. It would definitely make the Passport even more popular!

10-14-14 02:20 PM
    After receiving the BlackBerry Passport, I went to the Apple Store in Amsterdam to unbox it.
    Omg ahahahahhaahhahahahahah I can't stop laughing!

Thanks so much for the in depth writeup, love it! Does my Passport justice

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    H4zN likes this.
    10-14-14 03:35 PM
    Omg ahahahahhaahhahahahahah I can't stop laughing!

Thanks so much for the in depth writeup, love it! Does my Passport justice

Right on! Imagine my face when I checked the video after doing it.

10-14-14 03:46 PM
    Nice review.

Posted with my awesome Blackberry Passport
    H4zN likes this.
    10-14-14 03:59 PM
    What a great review! Thanks!

I've JUST received mine and I'm now restoring a backup from my Z30 so I look forward to comparing my impressions with yours.
    10-14-14 04:07 PM
    What a great review! Thanks!

I've JUST received mine and I'm now restoring a backup from my Z30 so I look forward to comparing my impressions with yours.
    Oh how cool! Do get back at me when it's settled down. Oh by the way! Load PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on it. It fixed a lot of bugs from .1152! I experienced several reboots and my hub hung in a BBM conversation a few times as well! All fixed now ;D

10-14-14 04:11 PM
    Nice review.

Posted with my awesome Blackberry Passport
    Thanks!

10-14-14 04:11 PM
    So not fair. I am so jealous. I am still waiting for AT&T to sell this phone to me.
    10-14-14 04:12 PM
    So not fair. I am so jealous. I am still waiting for AT&T to sell this phone to me.
    Hey I hope the AT&T situation gets resolved soon so you can get it as well! I do feel sorry for all the people who are still waiting for shipping of their carrier to offer it. Hope everyone gets is very soon!

lang007 likes this.
    10-14-14 04:20 PM
    What a refreshing and informative post. Finally a well done post on this crack berry site. A+ review

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 04:28 PM
    What a refreshing and informative post. Finally a well done post on this crack berry site. A+ review

Posted via CB10
    Thanks dude! Just spreading the love here

10-14-14 04:38 PM
    Nice review. I'm now undecided between waiting for the rumored Z50 or get the Passport. Each time I read these forums, I keep reading how awesome the BPP is.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 04:50 PM
    Right on! Imagine my face when I checked the video after doing it.

Just watching that now finally!

10-14-14 04:53 PM
    Nice review. I'm now undecided between waiting for the rumored Z50 or get the Passport. Each time I read these forums, I keep reading how awesome the BPP is.
    The Z50 is a rumored device. My guess is that it will be the phone based on the concept with the keyboard that rotates. JC will probably show it off next year during the Mobile World event after which it will go in production. What are you using at the moment?

10-14-14 05:02 PM
    Just watching that now finally!

Enjoy!

10-14-14 05:05 PM
    The Z50 is a rumored device. My guess is that it will be the phone based on the concept with the keyboard that rotates. JC will probably show it off next year during the Mobile World event after which it will go in production. What are you using at the moment?

I'm using the Z10. It is a great phone but I need a larger display. I like the Z30 too but I have heard users getting eyestrain.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 05:13 PM
    I'm using the Z10. It is a great phone but I need a larger display. I like the Z30 too but I have heard users getting eyestrain.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah the Z30 sux in direct sunlight. But this has never been an issue for me tbh. If you're an all touch who wants a bigger display, I'd say go for the Z30. Unless you live in a very sunny place that is. I loved the Z30!

10-14-14 05:48 PM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Awesome story!!!!

From my amazing Passport

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 05:59 PM
    Awesome story!!!!

From my amazing Passport

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! Hope you're enjoying yours as well. And you need to make yourself a new profile picture with your Passport! ;D

10-14-14 06:14 PM