Short background...I had a Key One ATT Black edition for 18 months after having along the way pretty much every BB10 device (and of course, before that, my beloved Bold 9900, and a Storm, and a Bold 9000). The Key One was a nice device. But it failed on me with serious hardware issues and I needed to replace it this spring, acquiring a beautiful late model Nokia 7.2 with the Blackberry suite added. In this year and a half with the Key One, I took advantage of the Android world, appreciated the physical keyboard and accepted it had a Blackberry heritage. But all the while I missed the ease and flow of BB10, especially using the best of the bunch in my opinion, my Passport whose battery had died in 2018. BB10 by then had evolved into such a superior system yet for the reasons so often discussed here, it was just not to be. Too bad...such a lost opportunity.

Letting my Key One go and trying to make the change this spring to a glass slab (yes, I liked the Z30 but always preferred the tactile feel of a PKB), and admitting to myself how much in reality I rely every day on my laptop and tablet, I have been giving serious thought to returning to a BB10 device for communication and staying organized. My eyes are open to BB10's disadvantages in 2020, but at the same time, I am looking for a solid, non-frills tool to communicate and manage my days. I don't do social media. I use limited apps. I would need some basic web access and especially am looking to use an older apk for Amazon Kindle. Beyond that 98.6% of my usage is being able to make/receive calls, run a hotspot, send texts and emails, and use my calendar and music player. For everything else, I have the larger screens and processing power of my Kindle HD and my W10 laptop. Reading around CB, I am amazed by the ideas from others, troubleshooting available, supportive communication, and the .apks and .bars to make BB10 functional in 2020. Will the Passport have all the "bells and whistles" I am told by marketing to expect from a smartphone? No. Is the camera just average, yes, but I don't a lot of selfies. Will the device last forever, again no. But it will have the integrated flow of 10.3 BB10 in an outstanding layout and technical package. As far as I am concerned, that works for my needs.

So...I look forward to bringing a used Passport on-line this week. (A used Classic to dabble with as well). I'll share more of this transition in other posts to come. Including once I have it up and running, the apps I have been able to successfully access. Thank you all for the posts you have set out there for others to follow. I hope mine can be helpful markers for the path as well.
    methodinsane, mh1983 and grover5 like this.
    05-31-20 10:25 PM
    I have switched from iPhone X to KEYONE to Key2 back to Passport. For my main daily workflow, which involves calls, emails, some browsing, the Passport is still a great choice for someone wanting a physical keyboard.

It's a personal thing of course, but I just cannot type on glass and enjoy it.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-20 05:01 AM
    I'm thinking about it, myself. Keyone BE is a nice phone but it has too many annoyances (weak WiFi, lag/stutter in apps (even after a few fresh installs). Seeing that there are great Youtube and Twitter alternatives, I feel more motivated than ever to dust off my Q10 and give it another whirl). Even though the K1 opened up the doors to a lot of apps (and some were convenient to have, for sure), I found I didn't use nearly the functionality the device was capable of. I mainly text, call, email, and browse a little. Browsing will take a hit going back to BB10 but I think I can live with it for now (and will keep the K1 around should I need to "pivot" again down the road).

Sounds like the PP will suit your needs nicely, OP. Enjoy and let us know how it goes!
    06-01-20 12:38 PM
    My only advice is that you make regular backups (or use cloud sync) of all of your data in an unencrypted, open format. You can also make Link backups if you wish, but don't rely on that as your ONLY backup, because those rely on BB infrastructure to work, and that could go away at any time. Likewise, you're dealing with 5-year-old phones that could die on any given day - tons of people have had their phones randomly die entirely or had the "emergency calls only" problem, so you need to be prepared for your hardware to die and your data on it to be inaccessible on any day. This is especially true if you are encrypting the phone's internal storage and/or the SD card, because if you are, you won't be able to recover anything if your phone hardware dies.

As long as you've secured backups of your data that could be imported to another platform or read on a computer off-line, then you're fine. If you're counting on the device to be available to get your data, you are essentially playing Russian Roulette, and one day you're going to get a BANG! instead of a click.
    06-01-20 08:19 PM
    My only advice is that you make regular backups (or use cloud sync) of all of your data in an unencrypted, open format. You can also make Link backups if you wish, but don't rely on that as your ONLY backup, because those rely on BB infrastructure to work, and that could go away at any time. Likewise, you're dealing with 5-year-old phones that could die on any given day - tons of people have had their phones randomly die entirely or had the "emergency calls only" problem, so you need to be prepared for your hardware to die and your data on it to be inaccessible on any day. This is especially true if you are encrypting the phone's internal storage and/or the SD card, because if you are, you won't be able to recover anything if your phone hardware dies.

As long as you've secured backups of your data that could be imported to another platform or read on a computer off-line, then you're fine. If you're counting on the device to be available to get your data, you are essentially playing Russian Roulette, and one day you're going to get a BANG! instead of a click.
    Well put and good advice no matter what platform you're on.
    06-02-20 12:42 PM
    I just move back from Priv to Passport today! It is still the best phone for me!

Posted via CB10
    06-11-20 08:34 AM
    I guess BB10 can still hold up well, if you don't fancy any social media, smart home or online shopping. Of course you can have them on another phone so you won't get notifications spamming. I really like the idea of just having the basic essential stuffs on my Passport.

I'm starting to get curious about taxi apps workaround for BB10, I believe my country does not have any support. Such a bummer.

Passport in 2020, believe it or not.
    06-11-20 11:06 AM
    Millions of people are fine with basic phones.... it the end it a matter of does it meet your need. Some would be fine with BB10 as it is today, other would need to dual carry, other just can't deal with BB10's limitation anymore.
    06-12-20 07:57 AM
    Yes, see it's let the phone be what it is. And use and enjoy that strength rather than endure another OS like Android or iOS one doesn't want. But then supplement elsewhere what is needed. In my case my laptop during the day, and my tablet to relax with after work (and type on Crackberry). For my life that works. I'm good with the tradeoff because of what my Passport and Classic give me, serving so well as communication devices. Im not trying to make BB10 work like a mini tablet to do everythg with. I dont need my phone to do that. Everyone's needs vary.
    06-12-20 10:56 AM