Before spending good money on what is practically beta and may be a real PITA overall, why not get cheap used Android and Windows phones to play with to see if they meet your needs?
    I totally see your point there...with that in mind, since I have used and tried an Android Lenovo A7000-a as a temporary phone when my Passport lost its mobile network connectivity (emergency calls only syndrome) ...the resounding decision I would make if it were today is perhaps just go with an iPhone 7...no Android for me in the near future...I guess it is just my preference...

Posted via CB10
    04-01-17 12:37 PM
    Hey Chuck,thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping for a non android phone suggestion...if it is even possibly any other phone that you may know of...thanks

Posted via CB10
    Then get a 7 or 7plus with the max onboard memory. Three of my kids have the 7,6 and 5 models. Oldest hands down to younger each upgrade. The only complaint was base models eventually outgrow memory.

I gave up BB10 and became Android guy. Says a lot because I own a model of every BB10 produced. Have owned a PRIV about 11 months and just bought DTEK50.

Unsupported OS without strong app ecosystem aren't worth the cost of these devices anymore. Wife loved her Nokia 1520, but alas, she uses both Android/IOS devices too.

Good luck.....

Posted via CB10
    kunz1925shooter likes this.
    04-02-17 03:50 AM
    Then get a 7 or 7plus with the max onboard memory. Three of my kids have the 7,6 and 5 models. Oldest hands down to younger each upgrade. The only complaint was base models eventually outgrow memory.

I gave up BB10 and became Android guy. Says a lot because I own a model of every BB10 produced. Have owned a PRIV about 11 months and just bought DTEK50.

Unsupported OS without strong app ecosystem aren't worth the cost of these devices anymore. Wife loved her Nokia 1520, but alas, she uses both Android/IOS devices too.

Good luck.....

Posted via CB10
    Thanks Chuck, yes I agree that it will be iPhone 7 or the 7plus...I will try to get the largest memory capacity as you have suggested...I will be probably happier there at Apple, then with a Android variant...appreciate the advice...cheers!

Via a very battered white BlackBerry z30 , running on the fumes of love...LoLz!!!
    04-02-17 04:05 AM
    FWIW, I don't like Android phones better than IOS phones. I like BlackBerry Android phones better than IOS. For me, BlackBerry has done a good job on the software end of things replicating the BB10/BBOS "hub" and "flow" experience that I enjoy with BlackBerry. With BB10, so many apps were android ports in the beginning, then later, downloading android version apps from Amazon or 1Mobile. I like the BB10 flow and layout but my apps just kept getting slower and sometimes unresponsive.

I had flagship LG G2 , as second phone couple years ago, was ok, but I replaced with a cheap Alcatel Ideal once I got PRIV. Now, I can't stand regular Android. If BlackBerry Android went away, I would go to IOS, before I would go back to regular Android. For that reason, I just bought a DTEK50. They're now marked down to $250US here in the states.

We have 7 IOS mobile devices in my family, including myself, wife and kids as well so I'm not against them. Just thought I'd share my experiences with you as tech agnostic enthusiast..

Regardless, good luck with your future purchases.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 04:36 AM
    Pay to be spied by Google not make me feel particularly smart
    If you think apple isn't spying on you and selling the data, you are sadly mistaken. iOS is a more finished and smooth OS, but it's very limited. You will do it Apples way, or you won't do it. If you're good with the way apple does everything, go for it.
    Android is clunky and disjointed, because it's not an OS as much as it's a platform to run apps. But, it has massive amounts of customizations. Don't like the phone app? Get another one. Don't like the SMS app? Get another one. Etc, etc, etc.
    While Ubuntu and Jolla have potential, both are very early beta's. Expect lots of bugs and problems with almost zero support, and prob close to zero updates.
    I'm still not ruling out Windows coming up with something really competitive. But they are now in the data mining business also. And, if I'm right about Windows, no telling when.
    For now it's iOS or Android, assuming you want a reliable phone with updates.
    04-02-17 09:04 AM
    It would be easier to offer an opinion, if you described what BB10 is missing that you're looking for in a phone. Jolla seems like trading one OS running a forked Android for another.
    04-02-17 09:13 AM
    Before spending good money on what is practically beta and may be a real PITA overall, why not get cheap used Android and Windows phones to play with to see if they meet your needs?
    Agreed that this would be the case for purchasing a Jolla, or a W10 phone. I had a Lumia 820 which ran W10. It was a nice camera, but the OS was brutal - It was the first release of W10. I own an Android tablet, onto which I've installed the DTEK hub, keyboard, launcher etc, via Cobalt's fantastic BlackBerry Manager. It is better than Android's own, badly-fragmented messaging and communications interface. iOS is reasonably intuitive and consistent. It is fantastic for the young and elderly, and those who don't want a load of complicated configuration options. I have an iPad at my disposal, at the latest iteration of the OS. It's very stable.

None of these however are any substitute for the efficiency, configurability, or power of an integrated mobile communications appliance like a BlackBerry 10 or BBOS device. Neither Android nor iOS are going to provide this for us - developing a platform like BlackBerry 10 or BBOS is expensive and the customers of these two platforms simply don't want it enough. The best we can hope for is that Sony and other mass manufacturers of quality hardware will develop Sailfish into an interesting niche platform.

Posted via CB10
    Wezard and kunz1925shooter like this.
    04-02-17 09:18 AM
    Replacement for a Passport that's not Android or I phone, Jolla Sailfish OS has been around since late 2013 and the original Jolla phone is hard to find new, I have had mine since it started and the OS is continually being updated and improved with three updates per year and latest one in February 2017 over three years of updates and continuing, an Indian company called Intex has a phone running Sailfish OS fairly cheap and sold in India a follow on from the original Jolla phone, and there is the Turing phone running Sailfish OS expensive and is released in small batches, perhaps Sony might release a phone with Jolla's Sailfish OS would be worth trying, looks like you may have to buy an I phone as Android is not an option for you,
    04-02-17 03:12 PM
    Blackberry with Android instead of OS10, I suspect, is a bit like Black Sabbath without Ozzie Osbourne. Mo matter how good the replacement singer, they are just not the same - or as unique in sound and style.
    04-02-17 06:31 PM
    Blackberry with Android instead of OS10, I suspect, is a bit like Black Sabbath without Ozzie Osbourne. Mo matter how good the replacement singer, they are just not the same - or as unique in sound and style.
    Best comparison ever. In my opinion is exactly as you said.
    04-02-17 07:39 PM
    Super right on the dot!

Via a very battered white BlackBerry z30 , running on the fumes of love...LoLz!!!
    04-03-17 04:25 AM
    Replacement for a Passport that's not Android or I phone, Jolla Sailfish OS has been around since late 2013 and the original Jolla phone is hard to find new, I have had mine since it started and the OS is continually being updated and improved with three updates per year and latest one in February 2017 over three years of updates and continuing, an Indian company called Intex has a phone running Sailfish OS fairly cheap and sold in India a follow on from the original Jolla phone, and there is the Turing phone running Sailfish OS expensive and is released in small batches, perhaps Sony might release a phone with Jolla's Sailfish OS would be worth trying, looks like you may have to buy an I phone as Android is not an option for you,
    I shall try to acquire a Jolla phone to test. I think that is quite good news of 3 updates a year seems alright to me. If I do try it, it will maybe my go to phone and not my daily driver due to what other posters have indicated that the platform is in beta.

I think that data mining that was mentioned in the earlier post does have merit for both Android and iPhone. It is I guess a necessary pill to swallow for both platforms. It is the Android way or the Apple way, and no way to the freeway...LoL.

Also thought of Ubuntu and Windows10...

So I guess it just boils down to stability and reliability. I feel maybe Apple might be a more consistent platform at the immediate future for my mobile needs.

I ,together with the many other BB10 users truly appreciate the feedback and ideas that will help mitigate the eventually migration that is inevitable.

Peace.

BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-03-17 04:42 AM
    Now THIS is exciting. Original Jolla phone was lauded for its well-designed UI and aesthetic, but criticised for the buggy/unfinished software. Surely if Sony release a handset, it'll be the 'real deal'? First real new mobile OS since BB10? I'd be more inclined to get one of these, than a 'blackdroid' when my Passport becomes obsolete.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/27/...xperia-phones/

Posted via CB10
    I would be very tempted by a Sony jola. But BB10 would have to be unusable. Not any year soon.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    04-03-17 09:01 AM
    I would be very tempted by a Sony jola. But BB10 would have to be unusable. Not any year soon.

I believe most agree with that thought. The temptation will be there as soon as BlackBerry 10 becomes totally unusable.

I personally am more inclined to try it earlier as my Passport is not my daily driver, due to the "emergency calls only" syndrome that has befallen my beloved Passport.

I currently am still on BlackBerry 10 via my lovely white z30.

I am in that stage of searching for an alternative for a daily driver in case it reaches the state of that it is no longer usable for my needs. I hope to have a replacement that will be at par with BlackBerry 10 or even better when the time comes.

We can only hope that by that time there will be a keyboard version that would be a great option for Passport owners to consider.

Like I said before memories of the old N900 come to mind.

Let us hope the iteration will be something we can accept as an alternative to the Legend of the Passport which in my opinion is in a class of its own without equal.

04-03-17 10:02 AM
    You really need to sell the PP for parts and buy another. Why wait? Why put up with it a broken device an you keep mentioning here like you want us to do something about it some might say.

04-03-17 11:07 AM
    Sounds great. Maybe in a few years this will be in America.Hands On: Jolla's Sailfish OS on a Sony Xperia X | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Video Overview
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...05&FORM=VRDGAR
    Last edited by Zeratul57; 04-03-17 at 06:01 PM.
    04-03-17 05:47 PM
    There are none. I do the even know how you could use an iPhone. You should try a bb Android phone. The iPhone is so locked down
    04-04-17 12:30 AM
    That's the thing with Android, you can't use a cheap crappy one like the Lenovo you used and then claim that all Android devices are bad. If you want to use a cheap one then get a Huawei honor 8. Want a reliable decently priced one then go with Motorola or Pixel. Samsung devices always slow down and LG's build quality remains suspect. HTC used to be my go to Android OEM but I don't know why their devices have suddenly taken a turn fur the worse in recent years. I've also heard good things of the one plus line. Don't bring up Lenovo, they don't even want to update their phones.
    04-04-17 12:36 AM
    Funny how most people agree that iPhones have the worst notification system of the 3 Operating systems.
    04-04-17 12:41 AM
    You really need to sell the PP for parts and buy another. Why wait? Why put up with it a broken device an you keep mentioning here like you want us to do something about it some might say.

Thanks for the suggestion. The thought did occur to me to sell it.

However the issue with the "emergency calls only" (everything works except you can not call or SMS, and no Internet via mobile carrier network) which there appears to be no solution. May it be a hardware or software issue is unknown by BlackBerry or the users.

According to the "Knowledge Base" it is still under investigation by BlackBerry.

Yeah. Right. No closure.

If say I did sell it for parts, or a a whole and buy myself another Passport and the same exact issue arises.

What will happen?

An EOL platform, the strong possibility of a second broken Passport with the same issue that has no solution.

We can all imagine what that frustration would be. I would think it would be something like"road rage" except it would be a "broken-phone rage".

I was never asking or demanding anyone who read these posts to do something about the broken Passport.

If I gave that impression, I apologize for that. As far as I know there is no known solution to that issue.

I was merely sharing my situation. It is really very frustrating. The Passport is not a run of the mill el cheapo mobile device. You need to spend serious coin to buy one.

The risk of having the same exact problem with another brand new Passport for me out weigh cost and gamble that I do not feel is worth the cost and heartache of such a situation.

So instead of totally leaving BlackBerry 10, I chose instead to purchase a moderately priced brand new z30.

It was a compromise. No keyboard. But still a BlackBerry 10 device.

In my particular market the "classic" was no longer available brand new. So I went for a z30.

Peace.

04-04-17 02:56 AM
    Very many thanks for sharing the links!

Truly appreciated!

04-04-17 03:13 AM
    I just saw this now. I'm checking it out. Just sharing.

www.jollausers.com

04-04-17 03:55 AM
    I hope that with Jolla and Sony make it our alternative to BB10. I remember my old Nokia N900, it actually kinda shares a kin ship with the BlackBerry Passport as it was a uniquely different OS with a 3 row keyboard(sliding up to close,down to access the keyboard) , if I am not mistaken...hehehe...keyboard madness is what it was...since I was a Linux user, I felt quite at home with the little beast of a phone...I think I still have it...I will try to find it and share a picture of that ancient PC of a phone...hahaha

Posted via CB10

Replacement for a passport? Jolla or ubuntu?-img_20170410_201646.jpg
    There u go!
    Hope enjoy it!

Posted via CB10
    Attached Thumbnails Replacement for a passport? Jolla or ubuntu?-img_20170410_201614.jpg  
    04-10-17 10:47 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. The thought did occur to me to sell it.

However the issue with the "emergency calls only" (everything works except you can not call or SMS, and no Internet via mobile carrier network) which there appears to be no solution. May it be a hardware or software issue is unknown by BlackBerry or the users.

According to the "Knowledge Base" it is still under investigation by BlackBerry.

Yeah. Right. No closure.
    FTC FCC Evidence of customer abuse.

Cause 1.
    Dont forget that carriers have the power to screw your phone. I was listening to Sirius Sat one day and all the sudden nothing. att cut my internet. I was on the way to a restaurant and so while waiting for food I called att. My phone worked fine but no internet. I was given an excuse that something was up with the provisioning of my data plan. 60 minutes prior I was in an att corporate store getting pressured to change my plan. Once I pointed out that my grandfathered plan was better and cheaper than the alternative, the rep must have taken revenge on me.

So while on the support call the rep looked into the problem, he called me back and had it fixed before I was done eating. This is why you never give them your name and number if you are there to chit chat.

Cause 2. I was in a building last week and only had the emergency call thing showing. Walked outside and never saw it again. Clearly a signal / building problem.
    04-10-17 11:02 AM
    I just saw this now. I'm checking it out. Just sharing.

Jolla and Sailfish OS Blog

Right so Jolla gets a 4.4.4 Kit Kat Run Time and BB10 gets the shaft?
    04-10-17 11:11 AM
55 123