How difficult is it to replace these? The speaker is distorted, so it's hard to take calls without speakerphone or earbuds. It seems like something is loose in the camera focus mechanism as it will sometimes focus if I shake it enough.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-19 01:15 PM
    Check ebay and see how hard it is to get them....

Then check youtube to watch a Passport tear down....

That said... it's an old phone, you open it up and replace a few parts.... next month the battery or microphone might go bad.
    07-02-19 03:11 PM
    Fairly simple to take apart the Passport and replace parts.
    Youtube has a couple good tear down videos.
    Make sure you keep track of all your screws and where they go.
    Only difficult part is if you have to remove the battery. Can be stuck on real tight and will need some time to pull off.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-19 09:57 PM
    Only difficult part is if you have to remove the battery. Can be stuck on real tight and will need some time to pull off.
    A hair dryer on low and a spatula are your friends for this job.
    07-04-19 10:09 PM
    Thanks everyone. Looks like the camera and speaker are readily available for a reasonable price.

Is there a way to replace the memory without changing the motherboard? Over at least the last year I have encountered severe lag and freezing on a daily basis that is likely due to worn out memory cells.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-19 02:49 AM
    Thanks everyone. Looks like the camera and speaker are readily available for a reasonable price.

Is there a way to replace the memory without changing the motherboard? Over at least the last year I have encountered severe lag and freezing on a daily basis that is likely due to worn out memory cells.

Posted via CB10
    Have you done a clean install of the OS using an autoloader recently?

I would try the clean install of the latest OS before taking the phone apart to see if this improves the lagging situation, whatever you decide on, make sure you do a backup before you start.

I'm pretty sure you are not going to be able to replace any on board memory so at this point if the clean install doesn't work then you'd be better off buying a new/second hand phone.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    07-06-19 04:48 AM
    Have you done a clean install of the OS using an autoloader recently?

I would try the clean install of the latest OS before taking the phone apart to see if this improves the lagging situation, whatever you decide on, make sure you do a backup before you start.

I'm pretty sure you are not going to be able to replace any on board memory so at this point if the clean install doesn't work then you'd be better off buying a new/second hand phone.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    I've done that twice. It works but the lag resurfaces a month or so later in each case. I'm inclined to hang on to my phone as work has a new policy of no BYOD, and the Passport is my own device. Unfortunately they do not support Android, so I would not be able to get a KEY2

Posted via CB10
    07-08-19 08:19 AM